• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(I guess): Demons Souls is probably the most unfair souls, or in fact maybe any other game out there imo

SCB3

So I'm going though all the PS5 exclusives atm and finally got around to DS despite owning it since launch and only playing maybe an hour or 2 (I played the original in 2010 as well) and my god is it kicking my ass.

Now keep in mind, I've a souls vet, I've finished pretty much every souls-like out there, but DS has really got me in a bad state here, for clarification, here is my game right now:

• 1-1 Complete
  • No Healing Items
  • No extra Soul Items
  • No Souls
  • A decent-ish weapon in a +4 Long Sword (the Stab from the R2 attack is saving me here)
  • Starter Knight Armor
  • No ability to be human, so always at half health
  • The enemies barely drop enough souls for me to grind out and but healing, plus the Crescent Moon grass takes like 2 to fully heal

I'm lost in 2-1, but have the lift Shortcut, no healing items at all, so getting past the many miners, flame lizards and dogs is rough

3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 are non starters, though the Valley of Defilement is possibly the easiest start I've had since trying it, the Prison requires me to be able to heal or have some kind of Magic Shield

I know the solution is Git Gud, but god damn is that hard to do when any mistake is such a hard punish that I cannot recover from

elliot5

Last edited:
You don't know what unfair is:
FantasticForthrightGoral-size_restricted.gif

SCB3

Have you beaten Tower Knight yet? You can farm the dudes on the bridge for healing items quickly. Also, do you have that ring that makes your soul form health only go down like 1/4? That helps a little.
Nope, Tower Knight would be possible (I think hes the 1-2 boss right?) and I don't have that ring

As much as I've played this, it's now weird for me to hear this. I find it the easiest Soulsborne game, and easier than most games in general. I can beat it, usually with only 2 or 3 deaths.

But, when I first played it, it was incredibly difficult. I honestly can't understand why. I guess it just clicks at some point. Enemies move slow and are dumb AF. The Remake seems even easier, maybe because of the framerate and smooth controls.

Still, the game is top 5 All-time for me and my favorite From game still.

Last edited:

elliot5

Last edited:

SCB3

As much as I've played this, it's now weird for me to hear this. I find it the easiest Soulsborne game, and easier than most games in general. I can beat it, usually with only 2 or 3 deaths.

But, when I first played it, it was incredibly difficult. I honestly can't understand why. I guess it just clicks at some point. Enemies move slow and are dumb AF. The Remake seems even easier, maybe because of the framerate and smooth controls.

The really weird thing is, I can do that with Dark Souls 1-3, it actually took me until well after the Abyss Watchers in 3 to die the first time I played it

Then again, Bloodborne took me a while to get decent at

The really weird thing is, I can do that with Dark Souls 1-3, it actually took me until well after the Abyss Watchers in 3 to die the first time I played it

Yeah, Bloodborne kicked my ass at first. I eventually got good.

Sekiro is, by far, the hardest for me. I platinumed it eventually, but I still would probably get destroyed a lot if I replayed it. It never really got easy for me.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So I'm going though all the PS5 exclusives atm and finally got around to DS despite owning it since launch and only playing maybe an hour or 2 (I played the original in 2010 as well) and my god is it kicking my ass.

Now keep in mind, I've a souls vet, I've finished pretty much every souls-like out there, but DS has really got me in a bad state here, for clarification, here is my game right now:

• 1-1 Complete
  • No Healing Items
  • No extra Soul Items
  • No Souls
  • A decent-ish weapon in a +4 Long Sword (the Stab from the R2 attack is saving me here)
  • Starter Knight Armor
  • The enemies barely drop enough souls for me to grind out and but healing, plus the Crescent Moon grass takes like 2 to fully heal

I'm lost in 2-1, but have the lift Shortcut, no healing items at all, so getting past the many miners, flame lizards and dogs is rough

3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 are non starters, though the Valley of Defilement is possibly the easiest start I've had since trying it, the Prison requires me to be able to heal or have some kind of Magic Shield

I know the solution is Git Gud, but god damn is that hard to do when any mistake is such a hard punish that I cannot recover from

9f728cd259cff54742090dc9ab7363bb.jpg

SCB3

Sekiro is, by far, the hardest for me. I platinumed it eventually, but I still would probably get destroyed a lot if I replayed it. It never really got easy for me.
I didn't have too much trouble with Sekiro once I got used to the parrying system, the Seven Spears mini boss was a major sticking point until I mastered the Mirikari counter on him, once I did the rest of the game wasn't too bad at all

I didn't have too much trouble with Sekiro once I got used to the parrying system, the Seven Spears mini boss was a major sticking point until I mastered the Mirikari counter on him, once I did the rest of the game wasn't too bad at all
That final boss gave me hell.

Reactions: MrS

sn0man

You two got me concerned. I tried demon souls for the first time 2 or 3 years back and a few hours in and repeated deaths I just gave up. Christmas break 2020 I started back into it (OG PS3 mind you) and by Valentine’s Day with some breaks here and there because adult working I finally beat it. I even played online and had a guy help me with the last part of 1.

OP makes me think I might even like some of these games then I’m like maybe just too hard for me. I’m glad I persevered and I grinded my level like crazy but I did eventually beat it. Only used the online in-game hints and started as a hunter but by the end I was using magic like crazy.

maneater destroyed me for a couple weeks. Though I only tried a few times a night every few nights.

Rolla

Banned

• 1-1 Complete
  • No Healing Items
  • No extra Soul Items
  • No Souls
  • Starter Knight Armor

The path I followed

Also having health makes the game slightly easier.

bArTl3bY

I've been playing through this as well but at a different pace than previous Souls games. I would play Bloodborne and Dark Souls until the point of rage and after enough trial and error, started new playthroughs and completed them both. With Demon's Souls, and it may just be due to the level/boss/Archstone structure, I'll typically learn and complete one area then stop. I highly doubt I have the best armor or weapons for my current level but patience has been my best friend, mostly due to the health cut when in hollow form.

With your current predicament, it may be better to start a fresh playthough and see if you can get where you are now in better shape. I see a lot of people using Soul Arrow as well, some say it's borderline cheating but a good caster build would definitely help in the early game. Hope you stick with it, these games have been endlessly fulfilling for me.

SCB3

well, decided to go spend a bit of time in 1-2, farmed some healing, not much but at least its some, and the fucking dragon bridge can fuck right off, that last section with 3 archers and 2 stronger blue eyed knights along with a Dragon breathing fire at you, its so much to take in at once sometimes, at least I know the boss is only there, but that run up to him is damned fustrating

and I'm taking a break from Returnal ffs

elliot5

well, decided to go spend a bit of time in 1-2, farmed some healing, not much but at least its some, and the fucking dragon bridge can fuck right off, that last section with 3 archers and 2 stronger blue eyed knights along with a Dragon breathing fire at you, its so much to take in at once sometimes, at least I know the boss is only there, but that run up to him is damned fustrating

dragon shouldn't bother you if you just let him burn them all and sprint past once the fire goes away. just need to stay sprinting.

ethomaz

Banned

Well I’m a guy that follow games rules and Bloodborne basically explain you very early how to parry and vicerals.

It is easiest game for me because parry makes everything easy and vicerals kills even the last boss with few moves.

Plus you can dodge everything.

Last edited:

leo-j

Yea I beat it without co op, I couldn’t do the same with dark souls and some of bloodborne.

Paulxo87

You need to go to 4-1 and grab the crescent falchion immediately. Also grab the long bow in 4-1 and beef it up. You'll unlock the reaper spot immediately in 4-2 which will then blow the game wide open all the souls u can farm

Rival

Gold Member
It took me a month of playing just to finally beat the tower knight. After that I played a bit of the next level, whatever one it was, got my ass completely kicked and then quit. Haven’t played it since December and I doubt I ever will again. This happens in almost every souls game with me.

Urban

Where are you from? Im from EU and i have time on the weekend if you need help? We can play some Co-op.

My tip is: Never lower your guard

Nothing composite bow and 150 arrows can't fix.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

• 1-1 Complete
  • No Healing Items
  • No extra Soul Items
  • No Souls
  • Starter Knight Armor

lol I had the same issue. I went into Demon Souls with big dick energy after whipping sekiro's final boss in less than half an hour, and got my ass handed to me. I bitched and complained in the OT. I hated everything about it. Same issues as you.

Took me 40 fucking hours to beat the thing. I died over and over again like a little bitch.

Then I realized something and beat the game 15 more times in less than a month. Now it's my favorite souls game ever.

Demon Souls is not about unlocking shortcuts to get to bosses. The bosses are almost all piss easy. The real bosses in this game are the levels. There are like four shortcuts total in something crazy like 20 levels. Your main job is to get through the levels and you should be able to beat the bosses on the first go. Even without any healing spells.

Without spoiling much, the only hard bosses in this game are 1-4, 2-2, and 3-2. All the rest, you can easily beat on the first try. it's not like the latter souls games and sekiro where the bosses are the main challenge. Luckily, all those hard bosses have shortcuts that let you skip most enemies.

Here are some tips.

• Dont ever ever ever play in Human form. if you die, your world will get harder. Enemies do more damage, you do less damage, and if you die 4 times, red phantoms will spawn to rape you.
  • DONT ever play in human form. If you ever do coop and become human, go and kill yourself in Nexus. If you die in any of the five worlds, you are just making the game harder.
  • Every time you beat a boss, you become human. Go and kill yourself in nexus.
  • Fire and Magic does more damage to pretty much every enemy in the game. Grab the light weapon spell right away.
  • Buy a bow. Dont play the game as a melee only character. You are required to use the bow in ways you werent in DS1, DS2 and DS3. Especially in sekiro.
  • Really, No shame in using a bow. they can get very powerful on the sticky upgrade path. And you will need them to take down the dragons anyway.
  • DONT consume any boss souls. Unlike the other souls games, the soul weapons in this game are AWESOME. The feel great and they look even better.
  • Youtube the 4-1 shortcut (the adjudicator skip) and skip the entire level. Easy boss fight. Lots of souls early on. Gives an awesome weapon.
  • Do 4-1 right after doing 1-1 and grab the Crescent Falchion very early on in the level. Best weapon for world 2.
  • Go do 2-1 and then 2-2. No need to beat 2-2 boss. Just grab the Dragon Long Sword and upgrade it to +4 and you will cruise through the rest of the game.
And that's it. The Crescent Falchion and Dragon Longsword will carry you all the way to the final boss when you will finally lose hope and have to turn to other weapons to beat that fucker but by then you should know what to do.

P.S Google how to get the thief ring and the cling ring. Both are in 1-1 and are life savers. Especially the cling ring. The thief ring is good for doing boss runs and avoiding archers.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
If you're unequipped to continue and don't have the correct rings/weapons/armour then you probably need to slow down and explore your environments better.

On your first runs through an area your focus should be on exploration, making sure you've covered all the ground accessible to you at the time (to get all the items) and then once you have it mapped out in your head you can focus on progressing.

Also you should only ever use the soul items when you need to level up or buy something that is not a consumable (weapon or armour). Always keep some banked.

Last edited:

elliot5

lol I had the same issue. I went into Demon Souls with big dick energy after whipping sekiro's final boss in less than half an hour, and got my ass handed to me. I bitched and complained in the OT. I hated everything about it. Same issues as you.

Took me 40 fucking hours to beat the thing. I died over and over again like a little bitch.

Then I realized something and beat the game 15 more times in less than a month. Now it's my favorite souls game ever.

Demon Souls is not about unlocking shortcuts to get to bosses. The bosses are almost all piss easy. The real bosses in this game are the levels. There are like four shortcuts total in something crazy like 20 levels. Your main job is to get through the levels and you should be able to beat the bosses on the first go. Even without any healing spells.

Without spoiling much, the only hard bosses in this game are 1-4, 2-2, and 3-2. All the rest, you can easily beat on the first try. it's not like the latter souls games and sekiro where the bosses are the main challenge. Luckily, all those hard bosses have shortcuts that let you skip most enemies.

Here are some tips.

• Dont ever ever ever play in Human form. if you die, your world will get harder. Enemies do more damage, you do less damage, and if you die 4 times, red phantoms will spawn to rape you.
  • DONT ever play in human form. If you ever do coop and become human, go and kill yourself in Nexus. If you die in any of the five worlds, you are just making the game harder.
  • Every time you beat a boss, you become human. Go and kill yourself in nexus.
  • Fire and Magic does more damage to pretty much every enemy in the game. Grab the light weapon spell right away.
  • Buy a bow. Dont play the game as a melee only character. You are required to use the bow in ways you werent in DS1, DS2 and DS3. Especially in sekiro.
  • Really, No shame in using a bow. they can get very powerful on the sticky upgrade path. And you will need them to take down the dragons anyway.
  • DONT consume any boss souls. Unlike the other souls games, the soul weapons in this game are AWESOME. The feel great and they look even better.
  • Youtube the 4-1 shortcut (the adjudicator skip) and skip the entire level. Easy boss fight. Lots of souls early on. Gives an awesome weapon.
  • Do 4-1 right after doing 1-1 and grab the Crescent Falchion very early on in the level. Best weapon for world 2.
  • Go do 2-1 and then 2-2. No need to beat 2-2 boss. Just grab the Dragon Long Sword and upgrade it to +4 and you will cruise through the rest of the game.
And that's it. The Crescent Falchion and Dragon Longsword will carry you all the way to the final boss when you will finally lose hope and have to turn to other weapons to beat that fucker but by then you should know what to do.
When I got to 3-2 I thought my game bugged when "phase 2" happened.... fuck that fight.

I 'cheated' and summoned a rando to help.

Yoboman

The key to easy mode is spending time clearing 1-2, farming the blue eye knights over and over. Then kill yourself and repeat

Just dont lose your souls and go back to the Nexus to level up regularly

Once you've gained some levels the game is easily manageable

Also, make your armour as light as possible until you level enough so you can roll with your armour on

Last edited:

SlimySnake

When I got to 3-2 I thought my game bugged when "phase 2" happened.... fuck that fight.

I 'cheated' and summoned a rando to help.
I dread that fight on every run. Every single run. On NG+8 I can kill it in one hit and I still hate it. OP, DONT click the spoiler. It has a boss clip.

This broke me for days

SlimySnake

The key to easy mode is spending time clearing 1-2, farming the blue eye knights over and over. Then kill yourself and repeat

Just dont lose your souls and go back to the Nexus to level up regularly

Once you've gained some levels the game is easily manageable

Also, make your armour as light as possible until you level enough so you can roll with your armour on
yeah, but the key to farming them is the crescent falchion. it makes the game so much easier thanks to its inherent magic attack. it literally doubles your attack power even at +1. Easy mode.

It also makes 2-1 a breeze since those enemies take more damage from magic.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I love it but it really feels like alpha dark souls.
I had to grind for dragon and magic stones to upgrade my weapons since some enemies are vulnerabl to magic and other to fire... and there is no consistency. You cannot say who will be taking more damage to what type of attack.
So my initial want to go with zweihander heavy bulild failed as some enemies took NO DAMAGE almost at all. Then when I get crescent falchion, they die in 2 hits.
Edit: oh and you say "what's a little grind"... well if You have to kill lava turtle bugs for 8 hours to get 5 chunks... that's not fun grind

Last edited:

Yoboman

yeah, but the key to farming them is the crescent falchion. it makes the game so much easier thanks to its inherent magic attack. it literally doubles your attack power even at +1. Easy mode.

It also makes 2-1 a breeze since those enemies take more damage from magic.
Sure, you don't even need that much though. OP is stuck on 1-2 you want him to cry when the skeletons are beating his ass next?

SlimySnake

All summoners eventually become the person being summoned.
This is very true. I never summoned in BB and DS1 thinking I had to prove something, and then ignored all that for DS2 and had a blast rolling with 3-4 NPCs and coop summons. For DS3 and Demon Souls, I helped everyone after beating bosses. One day I helped 10 people beat 3-2 with my mage firestorm build back to back to back. It felt great. Everyone was so grateful.

SlimySnake

Sure, you don't even need that much though. OP is stuck on 1-2 you want him to cry when the skeletons are beating his ass next?
lol good. He will learn a valuable lesson. it took me three playthroughs to realize that the skeletons in 4-1 are there to teach you how to backstab and parry. I felt so stupid trying to fight them head on.

Yoboman

lol good. He will learn a valuable lesson. it took me three playthroughs to realize that the skeletons in 4-1 are there to teach you how to backstab and parry. I felt so stupid trying to fight them head on.
Are they?

I just beat their ass with fists

SlimySnake

I love it but it really feels like alpha dark souls.
I had to grind for dragon and magic stones to upgrade my weapons since some enemies are vulnerabl to magic and other to fire... and there is no consistency. You cannot say who will be taking more damage to what type of attack.
So my initial want to go with zweihander heavy bulild failed as some enemies took NO DAMAGE almost at all. Then when I get crescent falchion, they die in 2 hits.
Yep. The grinding for bladestones and other rare materials is my least favorite part of the game.

In bloodborne, the item descriptions tell you that beasts are vulnerable to fire and other spider like enemies are weak to magic. Did they not do that for this game? I struggled to beat 1-2 boss with my +3 claymore. Came back with a +1 crescent falchion and he went down in two hits. So frustrating!

Top Bottom