• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(I guess): Demons Souls is probably the most unfair souls, or in fact maybe any other game out there imo

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I just got this game. First souls game I’ve ever played and it’s kicking my ass so far.

I’m trying to take it slow and get a little further each time. I don’t really understand many of the items yet.

I tried using the Templar knight but it feels painful to play as one in narrow halls.
If you use Royalty as class it is a bit easier since magic is quite strong in the game. Some say broken.

Just read the item description and use the item to find out. That's part of the fun.

The one thing I hate in Demon’s and BloodBorne is that the healing items are consumable and you need to farm them. I much prefer the upgradable/refillable estus flask system in the Dark Souls games and I was very happy that Sekiro used that system as well. I hate having to farm healing items, especially on a first play through where you’re learning the bosses; it just kills the pacing.

Con-Z-epT

The one thing I hate in Demon’s and BloodBorne is that the healing items are consumable and you need to farm them. I much prefer the upgradable/refillable estus flask system in the Dark Souls games and I was very happy that Sekiro used that system as well. I hate having to farm healing items, especially on a first play through where you’re learning the bosses; it just kills the pacing.
It is not to bad in Demon's Souls. I always had more than enough.
In Bloodborne however i needed to farm a lot but it was also my first Soulsborne experience.
You also could gain a lot back for being aggressive.

Overall i would admit that "Estus Flask System" is the way to go.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's pretty bad, but soon you will be swimming in souls and just use those souls to buy them. Way better use of souls than using them to get +2 on your attack.

It is a non-issue for mid to late game and NG+ just like Bloodborne, but it really kills the pacing in the early goings. It's one of the things they shouldve changed in the remake.

SlimySnake

I just got this game. First souls game I’ve ever played and it’s kicking my ass so far.

I’m trying to take it slow and get a little further each time. I don’t really understand many of the items yet.

I tried using the Templar knight but it feels painful to play as one in narrow halls.
Go get the Falchion from 4-1 after beating the first boss. In Shrine of Storms.

Con-Z-epT

It's one of the things they shouldve changed in the remake.
They did by limiting the amount you could carry since most players had way to much and would likely abuse the system.

Everything else would be more than a slight change in the sense of QOL change and would not be faithful for a remake.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I’ve managed to get up to 1-3 and 2-2.

I didn’t realise until too late that dying in human form drops your world tendency. Unfortunately boletaria is pretty black now and beating the tower knight didn’t improve the world tendency much.

Anyway, I read I’m supposed to kill the red dragon to advance past the fog after the tower knight. Problem is, the red dragon is gone. Gone, GONE. How do I find him???

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Anyway, I read I’m supposed to kill the red dragon to advance past the fog after the tower knight. Problem is, the red dragon is gone. Gone, GONE. How do I find him???
I think you need the dragon god from 2-3.

Last edited:

Methos#1975

I kinda think Demon Souls is the easiest of the Souls games, half the bosses can be cheesed and any build with Firestorm is so OP even the final boss can be 1 shot

SJRB

Gold Member
All the Souls games are brutal at the start because you lack resources, items, any type of currency and have poor stats.

The start is most difficult. That said, Demon's Souls is probably more lenient because you can buy grasses opposed to the limited use Estus in Dark Souls.

NikuNashi

I beat flamelurker on my second try, didn't think he was that tough. (Mage build with Falchion +3) Man-eater on the other hand took me the best part of a week.

Urban

I kinda think Demon Souls is the easiest of the Souls games, half the bosses can be cheesed and any build with Firestorm is so OP even the final boss can be 1 shot
so if you cheese the bosses, dont you make it easy for yourself? Its not per design easy. You just make it easy for you.

Kev Kev

I always have the following experience with any Souls-like game: play for a bit on release, get my ass kicked, rage, come back 6 months later and kick ass. Amazing games but damn stressful sometimes, lol.
I would not come back to a game like that. Stressful doesn’t sound fun. I’d just put it down, walk away and never play it again.

Everything I’ve heard about Souls games and Bloodborn just makes them sound annoying and unfun. I don’t know what kind of satisfaction you guys get out of that but it seems so bizarre to me that someone would willingly play a game that stresses you out. Like, it’s a video game, the satisfaction of beating it can’t be good enough by default, bc it’s just a fucking stupid play toy thing, you don’t actually get anything for beating it. In real life, stressful things like work at least gets you paid, but we’re talking about toys/games here. They are supposed to be fun, not annoying and make you want to quit lol.

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

I dunno, I’ll never get it But if you guys are enjoying it then I’m happy for you 👍 just not for me. Cue the “get good” comments

NikuNashi

I would not come back to a game like that. Stressful doesn’t sound fun. I’d just put it down, walk away and never play it again.

Everything I’ve heard about Souls games and Bloodborn just makes them sound annoying and unfun. I don’t know what kind of satisfaction you guys get out of that but it seems so bizarre to me that someone would willingly play a game that stresses you out. Like, it’s a video game, the satisfaction of beating it can’t be good enough by default, bc it’s just a fucking stupid play toy thing, you don’t actually get anything for beating it. In real life, stressful things like work at least gets you paid, but we’re talking about toys/games here. They are supposed to be fun, not annoying and make you want to quit lol.

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

I dunno, I’ll never get it But if you guys are enjoying it then I’m happy for you 👍 just not for me. Cue the “get good” comments

I thought like this when I first played it died a lot and walked away. Fast forward 3 months later and I was waking up early before work just to get a couple of games in. It made me feel like a kid again. It's masterpiece of game design and presentation.

Con-Z-epT

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

It might sound stressful but the adrenaline rush in these games rarely gets replicated in other games and is highly addictive.

Urban

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

Than Kirbys Epic Yarn is for you because you cant die in this game.

The Thing is: Souls Game are only hard because our gaming mindset tricks us into believing its hard. You know why? Cause every other mainstream game gets streamlined and made easier for more access. Those games are not so. They will kick you in the butt in the first hours, till you get a grip of the game and "feel the flow of it". Once you do that its not easier or harder than any other game with a deep learning curve. There are way more difficult games than the souls games. The Soulsgame on the other hand are the only really hard games with that kind of budget. The Developers want you to invest,get good and have the time of your life.

Sekiro was nearly impossible for me at the beginning but once the flow of the combat kicked it and i started to trust the game and focused only on my reactions, i started to get good and beat it.

Kev Kev

yeah sorry guys, not for me. enjoy being mad for three hours before you start having fun, i'll pass on that noise. lol, even the op who claims to be a souls vet is over it.

Con-Z-epT

yeah sorry guys, not for me. enjoy being mad for three hours before you start having fun, i'll pass on that noise. lol, even the op who claims to be a souls vet is over it.
That is completely fine and there is no need to force yourself to play anything.

I just wanted to say that there is much more to all Soulsborne games than just its challenging game design.
You do have to invest in it to get something out of it. The more you do however the more the game pays back.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

That is completely fine and there is no need to force yourself to play anything.

I just wanted to say that there is much more to all Soulsborne games than just its challenging game design.
You do have to invest in it to get something out of it. The more you do however the more the game pays back.
right on. maybe ill give it a try one day!

Tchu-Espresso

It might sound stressful but the adrenaline rush in these games rarely gets replicated in other games and is highly addictive.
I’m definitely feeling this but I’ve had to resort to YouTube guides on how to beat the tower knight because it pissed me off to die and get sent back to the start 50 times. One time I died within 2 seconds of entering the fog as if he was already in mid strike.

The game is way too unforgiving for me to happily leave everything like that boss to trial and error.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I found it really quite easy on the ps5 and wasn't overly impressed with it after playing the later releases. That piss swamp was a right turd though. Took a bit of patience.

Reactions: Isa

skit_data

I’m definitely feeling this but I’ve had to resort to YouTube guides on how to beat the tower knight because it pissed me off to die and get sent back to the start 50 times. One time I died within 2 seconds of entering the fog as if he was already in mid strike.

The game is way too unforgiving for me to happily leave everything like that boss to trial and error.
Yeah, some of the bosses in Demon’s Souls are pretty unforgiving in their design. Tower knight, Adjudicator, Armored Spider are all the most dangerous the first 2 seconds after stepping into the fog and before you reposition.

Dragon God isn’t really a favourite either. The hitboxes of his hands and your inability to dicern where he will be able to see you makes fpr a couple of cheap deaths. He was easily the enemy/boss I died to the most when platinuming the remake despite knowing the game inside out from the original.

Tchu-Espresso

Yeah, some of the bosses in Demon’s Souls are pretty unforgiving in their design. Tower knight, Adjudicator, Armored Spider are all the most dangerous the first 2 seconds after stepping into the fog and before you reposition.

Dragon God isn’t really a favourite either. The hitboxes of his hands and your inability to dicern where he will be able to see you makes fpr a couple of cheap deaths. He was easily the enemy/boss I died to the most when platinuming the remake despite knowing the game inside out from the original.
I actually beat the armoured spider on my second attempt with no help.

After I beat the tower knight I farmed the everloving shit out of the 2 blue eyed knights near that spawn point and built my HP and MP up to the point where I could withstand him easily.

Con-Z-epT

Hmmm that’s not what I thought I read but will give it a go.

I wish I knew not to seek out human form at all cost. It has screwed my world tendency on that level.
The dragons in 1-1 and 1-2 have nothing to do with the progress after the tower knight.

You could start again. It is not that far of. At Least now you know about the world tendency.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Nothing against a bit of help from the web or to ask others for tips but you should be careful with what you spoil yourself with in the game.

Some of the biggest satisfaction from the Souls series comes from figuring things out on your own.

Reyziak

So regarding boss weapons, the Butcher Knife/Cleaver(I don't recall the exact name) is pretty good. Can't be upgraded, but that is fine since it has insane scaling: S scaling in Strength, S scaling in Dexterity, and A scaling in Faith.

With a faith build you can make a health regen build, imagine the Dark Souls 3 regen build, but better.

Regenerator's Ring gives you 4 HP per second, a weapon on the Blessed weapon path gives you 6 HP per second when fully upgraded, the Adjudicator's Shield gives you 8 HP per second when fully upgraded, the Regeneration Miracle gives you 1 HP for every hundred you have in your max health. At 99 Vitality you have 1900 HP, giving you 19 HP per second, and these effects all stack, resulting in you getting 37 HP per second. Most enemies can't out damage your regen.

The Moonlight Greatsword is in this game, it is a Faith weapon, doesn't do the sword beam though.

Or go with the Royalty class, and discover how broken magic is.

Fredrik

This game is constantly kicking my ass but I like the challenge, at least so far. I don’t know any good strategies, I just make sure to never use any hero souls until I’m at the nexus ready to upgrade, so when I die, which happens a lot, I only lose maybe 5000 - 8000 souls. Could be worse.

Just beat the spider boss last night, quite easy with temple knight, purple flame shield and halberd, could block the fire balls and only lose a tiny bit of health.
Then of course I got careless and was quickly killed by some lowlife fire bug down at the bottom of 2-2, bummerrrr

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
So I'm going though all the PS5 exclusives atm and finally got around to DS despite owning it since launch and only playing maybe an hour or 2 (I played the original in 2010 as well) and my god is it kicking my ass.

Now keep in mind, I've a souls vet, I've finished pretty much every souls-like out there, but DS has really got me in a bad state here, for clarification, here is my game right now:

• 1-1 Complete
  • No Healing Items
  • No extra Soul Items
  • No Souls
  • A decent-ish weapon in a +4 Long Sword (the Stab from the R2 attack is saving me here)
  • Starter Knight Armor
  • No ability to be human, so always at half health
  • The enemies barely drop enough souls for me to grind out and but healing, plus the Crescent Moon grass takes like 2 to fully heal

I'm lost in 2-1, but have the lift Shortcut, no healing items at all, so getting past the many miners, flame lizards and dogs is rough

3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 are non starters, though the Valley of Defilement is possibly the easiest start I've had since trying it, the Prison requires me to be able to heal or have some kind of Magic Shield

I know the solution is Git Gud, but god damn is that hard to do when any mistake is such a hard punish that I cannot recover from
Demons souls ps5 ground me into dust...but eventually i persevered, and got the platinum. Ill say as someone whose beaten every soulsborne, des is tough, but i think dark souls 1 is harder.
Most of the bosses in des are push overs

SlimySnake

This game is constantly kicking my ass but I like the challenge, at least so far. I don’t know any good strategies, I just make sure to never use any hero souls until I’m at the nexus ready to upgrade, so when I die, which happens a lot, I only lose maybe 5000 - 8000 souls. Could be worse.

Just beat the spider boss last night, quite easy with temple knight, purple flame shield and halberd, could block the fire balls and only lose a tiny bit of health.
Then of course I got careless and was quickly killed by some lowlife fire bug down at the bottom of 2-2, bummerrrr
2-2 has the best sword for early to mid game so keep exploring but there is a shortcut to the boss that's unlocked from the start so don't feel compelled to take him on when you get to it. Just turn in your souls, level up and come back to it later.

SlimySnake

So regarding boss weapons, the Butcher Knife/Cleaver(I don't recall the exact name) is pretty good. Can't be upgraded, but that is fine since it has insane scaling: S scaling in Strength, S scaling in Dexterity, and A scaling in Faith.

With a faith build you can make a health regen build, imagine the Dark Souls 3 regen build, but better.

Regenerator's Ring gives you 4 HP per second, a weapon on the Blessed weapon path gives you 6 HP per second when fully upgraded, the Adjudicator's Shield gives you 8 HP per second when fully upgraded, the Regeneration Miracle gives you 1 HP for every hundred you have in your max health. At 99 Vitality you have 1900 HP, giving you 19 HP per second, and these effects all stack, resulting in you getting 37 HP per second. Most enemies can't out damage your regen.

The Moonlight Greatsword is in this game, it is a Faith weapon, doesn't do the sword beam though.

Or go with the Royalty class, and discover how broken magic is.
Meat cleaver and any other strength based weapon gets 50% extra damage with the cursed weapon spell. The trick is to use the broken talisman of beast which should be easy to do if you don't meet one of the stat requirements.

I played this after dark souls 1 and 2 in 2013. It's still great but It really demonstrated why they needed bonfires as checkpoints.

I love dark souls but my biggest pet peeve was always having to sprint back to bosses through the level every time to you die. This wastes so much time especially on ps3 and 4 when you take into account long load times as well.

This is easily at most its most obnoxious in demon souls where there are no bonfires and no shortcuts on some levels resulting about a 3 to 5 minute run just to attempt the boss again.

It seem fromsoft agrees with this as nearly all major bosses in sekiro have bonfires right next to them.

Other than that I did really enjoy demon souls. The core souls formula is still rock solid and the art style, level design is timeless.

skit_data

The first 30 minutes of this game is pure dog shit.

The hard factor so far comes from enemies coming out of nowhere to get an easy hit on you. And people praise this garbage??

Does it get better/less assholey?
Learn to mind your surroundings and use the shield, don’t rush forward expecting to easily take on anything in your path.
There’s a tempo to these games that you need to understand to master them, it’s not like most third person action games where you can make several mistakes and still barely get scratched by enemies.

Edit: Word of advice, don’t use Stone of Ephemeral eyes and when you beat bosses, kill yourself in the Nexus before progressing. You will find a ring at the first level called ”Cling Ring”, always wear it.
These three tips are the most essential when it comes to Demon’s Souls.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

The first 30 minutes of this game is pure dog shit.

The hard factor so far comes from enemies coming out of nowhere to get an easy hit on you. And people praise this garbage??

Does it get better/less assholey?
Tea Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The game wants you to learn through your mistakes. Take your time when you approach uncharted territory.
And although you can you are not supposed to rush through the game.

The game is good from the beginning and gets better by the minute. If you think the start is "assholey" then wait for later stages.

To say the first 30 minutes are pure dog shit is a premature judgement.

Last edited:
It is not to bad in Demon's Souls. I always had more than enough.
In Bloodborne however i needed to farm a lot but it was also my first Soulsborne experience.
You also could gain a lot back for being aggressive.

Overall i would admit that "Estus Flask System" is the way to go.
Yeah I agree. The grass system in demon souls just punishes new or less skilled players and trivilises the game for good games.

I would personally go further I wish the items acted the same way as the estus flask. I.e. strict limit but replenished at the bonfire when you die.

I never use any of the item buffs in boss fights because no doubt I will die run out of the item then I am back to square one. I might as well just learn to fight the boss normally lol

Tea Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The game wants you to learn through your mistakes. Take your time when you approach uncharted territory.
And although you can you are not supposed to rush through the game.

The game is good from the beginning and gets better by the minute. If you think the start is "assholey" then wait for later stages.

To say the first 30 minutes are pure dog shit is a premature judgement.
Absolutely, I wouldn't argue its premature, and normally I would never do this. But if this is the "hard" factor of the game throughout, enemies attacking out of nowhere and thats what ppl always say is so "hard" about this, i'm just not interested. There is nothing enjoyable to me about "git gud going slow and keeping ur finger on shield guard cause yes enemies out of nowhere is this game's thing" and if this is the case, admittedly premature, but i'm baffled at the levels of praise with such a lazy assholey way to go about difficulty.

skit_data

Absolutely, I wouldn't argue its premature, and normally I would never do this. But if this is the "hard" factor of the game throughout, enemies attacking out of nowhere and thats what ppl always say is so "hard" about this, i'm just not interested. There is nothing enjoyable to me about "git gud going slow and keeping ur finger on shield guard cause yes enemies out of nowhere is this game's thing" and if this is the case, admittedly premature, but i'm baffled at the levels of praise with such a lazy assholey way to go about difficulty.
I wouldn’t say that is what people mean when they say these games are hard. That part comes later.

Dr Kaneda

Really? I think it's by far the easiest Souls type game From have released. Think part of it is because the bosses are extremely easy compared to other From games, like more than a few of them are literally throw away encounters that can be killed in less than a minute that even regular enemies are harder than.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Really? I think it's by far the easiest Souls type game From have released. Think part of it is because the bosses are extremely easy compared to other From games, like more than a few of them are literally throw away encounters that can be killed in less than a minute that even regular enemies are harder than.
The bosses in Demon's Souls are very straight forward and one note, even the toughest one like Old King Allant you just need to dodge his dash attack then punish him and repeat until his dead.

Con-Z-epT

Nowadays you can pretty much look up the whole game via wiki. When it first released on Playstation 3 you needed to figure out everything on your own. So the claim that it is a "hard" game comes not just from the fact of some cheap deaths but also from the fact that you need a different strategy for most enemies and bosses. It was labeled challenging because there is no handholding in the game. It is tough especially because of the unknown. As a beginner you can make the game unbearable hard if you have no clue about world tendencies or where to find a good weapon or wich equipment is best for each fight. Or you can make the game more than manageable by choosing a specific class, reading every item description and use summoning for help. You can even "break" it fairly early on with magic.

You can also play the game completely without a shield and dodge the attacks while you try to be on the offensive. No need to hide behind the shield!

You barely even scratched the surface of what the game has to offer but it didn't took you long to come here and call it garbage.

Fredrik

I never use any of the item buffs in boss fights because no doubt I will die run out of the item then I am back to square one. I might as well just learn to fight the boss normally lol
I’m such a coward, I don’t bother with world tendency but otherwise I’ve so far used what I can to make life easier. Phalanx, fire bombs. Tower Knight, pine resin. Armour Spider, purple flame shield and white slime. Then lots of cheap level grinding (behind tower knight there are two blue knights giving you about 1000 souls in total in like 1 minute) and weapon upgrading. If possible I never fight more than one enemy at a time either lol
bear coward GIF

Nowadays you can pretty much look up the whole game via wiki. When it first released on Playstation 3 you needed to figure out everything on your own. So the claim that it is a "hard" game comes not just from the fact of some cheap deaths but also from the fact that you need a different strategy for most enemies and bosses. It was labeled challenging because there is no handholding in the game. It is tough especially because of the unknown. As a beginner you can make the game unbearable hard if you have no clue about world tendencies or where to find a good weapon or wich equipment is best for each fight. Or you can make the game more than manageable by choosing a specific class, reading every item description and use summoning for help. You can even "break" it fairly early on with magic.

You can also play the game completely without a shield and dodge the attacks while you try to be on the offensive. No need to hide behind the shield!

You barely even scratched the surface of what the game has to offer but it didn't took you long to come here and call it garbage.
Yup not gonna argue with anyone who think I came here prematurely. I just wanted to know if enemies out of nowhere = hard factor in this is consistent cause games that rely on being an asshole for difficulty are not my cup of tea.

I've played Tarkov, I have no problem with having to figure things out, even if thats not exactly my favorite thing either.

Con-Z-epT

It is better to learn the patterns of the bosses first and when you get closer and closer to the victory it makes totally sense to use the items to give you the edge in battle.
You can't run back there is a fog gate! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Con-Z-epT

Yup not gonna argue with anyone who think I came here prematurely. I just wanted to know if enemies out of nowhere = hard factor in this is consistent cause games that rely on being an asshole for difficulty are not my cup of tea.

I've played Tarkov, I have no problem with having to figure things out, even if thats not exactly my favorite thing either.
It is not constant but repeatedly. When you are about to go through a narrow passage you know something will come and mess with you.

The whole game is designed to always have a challenge for you. And these challenges change throughout the course of the game.
When you think you have seen it all and walk through the level like a boss it just takes seconds for the game to ground you and make you look like a noob.

That's the whole premise of the game. To deliver challenging gameplay that needs to be overcome.

Top Bottom