• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(I guess): Demons Souls is probably the most unfair souls, or in fact maybe any other game out there imo

It is better to learn the patterns of the bosses first and when you get closer and closer to the victory it makes totally sense to use the items to give you the edge in battle.

You can't run back there is a fog gate! :messenger_grinning_sweat:
True although by that point your probably good enough to get the job without it lol.

I always hated the pressure of having to get it done with just one or 2 attempts. I am much more relaxed just fighting a boss normally.

For me it just deincentives experimenting with all these cool items resulting in a shallower game 🤷‍♂️. Maybe that's just me.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
True although by that point your probably good enough to get the job without it lol.
Agreed!
I always hated the pressure of having to get it done with just one or 2 attempts. I am much more relaxed just fighting a boss normally.
It also immensely satisfying to finally find a good strategy on your own and beat the shit out a boss.

I always think about those speed runners that beat the Souls games without taking a single hit.
So when i struggle in the beginning i know i don't do it right just yet.
For me it just deincentives experimenting with all these cool items resulting in a shallower game 🤷‍♂️. Maybe that's just me.
Depends on the item or the game. The music box in Bloodborne you could use against Father Gascoigne was a cool twist.
Of course you don't have that for every boss or game.

Con-Z-epT

Cowards always finds a way! The three bosses I’ve beaten so far has had some safe…er spots 😋
There are so many options in the game. The only fight that can be unfair is the one with Maneater. And even that could be cheesed. At least in the original.

skit_data

There are so many options in the game. The only fight that can be unfair is the one with Maneater. And even that could be cheesed. At least in the original.
It can’t be cheesed in the remake. Maneater is easily the hardest boss in the game IMO.

Last time I faced him when getting summoned I one-shotted each of them with Firestorm though xD

Fredrik

Haven’t seen Maneater yet, not in the original either, looked up a guide and yeah that sounds like it might be the end of the line for me. It’s still an awesome game even though I might never finish it. I’m enjoying every second of it right now, the challenge makes it scary and keeps me focused like few other games. Solid 9/10 after Phalanx, Tower Knight and Armor Spider.

Codes 208

It can’t be cheesed in the remake. Maneater is easily the hardest boss in the game IMO.

Last time I faced him when getting summoned I one-shotted each of them with Firestorm though xD
He’s a case of rng now. Demodcracy made a worst to best video of the remake bosses and man eater was at the top due to the impossible tells and awkward AI while having to teeter on the bridge when it us powerful AoE attacks. And frankly I agree, he’s definitely the hardest that I’ve had to deal with. (Though tbf if I wasn’t using a royal class, fire lurker would’ve likely given me a bigger run for my money)

Con-Z-epT

He’s a case of rng now. Demodcracy made a worst to best video of the remake bosses and man eater was at the top due to the impossible tells and awkward AI while having to teeter on the bridge when it us powerful AoE attacks. And frankly I agree, he’s definitely the hardest that I’ve had to deal with. (Though tbf if I wasn’t using a royal class, fire lurker would’ve likely given me a bigger run for my money)
Especially the awkward AI. Sometimes you get wrecked in seconds and the next try you ask yourself where the problem was all along.

Con-Z-epT

Haven’t seen Maneater yet, not in the original either, looked up a guide and yeah that sounds like it might be the end of the line for me. It’s still an awesome game even though I might never finish it. I’m enjoying every second of it right now, the challenge makes it scary and keeps me focused like few other games. Solid 9/10 after Phalanx, Tower Knight and Armor Spider.
You can summon help. This makes a huge difference. No need to drop the game if you hit a wall.

Lmao u need to play more games

Demon Souls PS5 version was my first time playing it and it’s not even close to the hardest of games even within its own series. I can even count on my hands how many times I died beating the game

Games from 1999 and earlier are all almost exclusively more unfair

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
So I'm going though all the PS5 exclusives atm and finally got around to DS despite owning it since launch and only playing maybe an hour or 2 (I played the original in 2010 as well) and my god is it kicking my ass.

Now keep in mind, I've a souls vet, I've finished pretty much every souls-like out there, but DS has really got me in a bad state here, for clarification, here is my game right now:

• 1-1 Complete
  • No Healing Items
  • No extra Soul Items
  • No Souls
  • A decent-ish weapon in a +4 Long Sword (the Stab from the R2 attack is saving me here)
  • Starter Knight Armor
  • No ability to be human, so always at half health
  • The enemies barely drop enough souls for me to grind out and but healing, plus the Crescent Moon grass takes like 2 to fully heal

I'm lost in 2-1, but have the lift Shortcut, no healing items at all, so getting past the many miners, flame lizards and dogs is rough

3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 are non starters, though the Valley of Defilement is possibly the easiest start I've had since trying it, the Prison requires me to be able to heal or have some kind of Magic Shield

I know the solution is Git Gud, but god damn is that hard to do when any mistake is such a hard punish that I cannot recover from
You are not searching every where properly for items. There is a ring and that is all I will say.
Armour also means nothing, far better off being able to fast roll and use a 100% block shield.

Fredrik

I just arrived to the end of 3-1 after 1.5 hours or something like that, then a red assassin popped up and slayed me like nothing with a bow and plague attack. Halp! Some advices please!

And where do I find the thief ring I hear about in guides?

As someone who played every single Souls game in existence and got all 100% achievements in Dark Souls 1 - 3 and Bloodborne and Demons Souls on PS3.

I seriously laugh at how horrible some people are in this thread. These games are not that hard to be fair. Demons Souls is just unrefined gameplay wise but its a pretty easy game and not that difficult. There is a whole category of people on twitch doing No Hit runs and a lot of people have attained the Hitless title.

Word advice, just don't play these games if you are this bad and go play My Barbie Adventures instead and stop wasting our time

Inviusx

I usually get about half way in souls games before I give up because I've made some terrible decision with my build or something like that.

Demons Souls on the other hand felt like a breeze. I cruised through the game. I am stuck on the last boss however but that's mainly because after a few attempts to decided I play something else and haven't gone back.

Last edited:
To me the easiest path to get strong is to immediately (after 1-1) farm souls in 4-1, then 4-2, then 4-3. I like going with a sharp uchigatana ASAP (dropped by black skeletons) to do 4-1 and then acquire the stock white bow from 4-2 which helps in that area, then a maxed sticky long bow for good farming in 4-3. Once you’ve beaten the finial boss in 4-3 the best soul farming is available in that area and the best bow IMO is the max sticky bow. After gaining levels here the rest of the game is easy enough but of course there still is some challenge.

Last edited:
I've got platinum on Dark Souls, got Platinum on Dark Souls 2, on my way to platinum Bloodborne and yeah..... Demons Souls is tough (tougher than Dark Souls), not Sekiro tough but i have some difficult on it.

I don't remember the PS3 version to be this hard honestly.

Seriously? Demon's Souls remake felt like easy platinum for me despite being my first ever souls like game to experience. I did however go onto beat DS trilogy short after that and haven't been able to platinum those yet

Con-Z-epT

I just arrived to the end of 3-1 after 1.5 hours or something like that, then a red assassin popped up and slayed me like nothing with a bow and plague attack. Halp! Some advices please!

And where do I find the thief ring I hear about in guides?
Shield up and then circle around her. Once you find an opening go in for one or two hits and then back off. Rinse and repeat!

The thief ring is behind Ostrava in 1-1. When you meet him the first time. You can also get it later on in 5-2.

Fredrik

Shield up and then circle around her. Once you find an opening go in for one or two hits and then back off. Rinse and repeat!

The thief ring is behind Ostrava in 1-1. When you meet him the first time. You can also get it later on in 5-2.
Thanks! I went back and collected the souls, took strength up to 24. She’s going down now!
I need to find a shortcut though, I’m guessing I could use some holes to drop down faster.

Gargauth

I dropped this game due to level design. When navigation and traps is the only challenge for me, it gets frustrating and no fun. Gameplay feels clunky too, especially after playing Bloodborne, Sekiro and Nioh 2. Demon Souls is one of the few games in recent memory that I genuinely regret purchasing.

SCB3

Exactly, I actually deleted sekiro without beating final boss. I just felt that I don't have a lot of time to waste it on him. Then I played demon souls and finished it in 2 days EASILY.
I weirdly had more issues with Ashina of the Seven Spears, a mini boss where you first learn the Mirikari counter, than any other, Sekiro is a lot easier once you understand the mechanics it wants you to do

Con-Z-epT

Thanks! I went back and collected the souls, took strength up to 24. She’s going down now!
I need to find a shortcut though, I’m guessing I could use some holes to drop down faster.
There is a steel gate midway through the level which you can open up to have a short cut.
As confusing as the whole layout is it is also hard to explain where you have to look.
It also doesn't save you that much time.

Don't jump through the holes without looking down!
I can't remember if there even is one that leads you to something specific but i'm sure they are no shortcuts.

Everyone missing the point with the "game isn't even that hard" posts.

It has nothing to do with the level of difficulty, but how they achieve difficulty. "Heres an enemy out of nowhere hit shield very fast or take one of the 3 hits you're allowed!" is just not for me. Its the game being an asshole to be "hard"

I bought this after playing Returnal, a game which achieves difficulty without ever being stupid.

Con-Z-epT

Everyone missing the point with the "game isn't even that hard" posts.

It has nothing to do with the level of difficulty, but how they achieve difficulty. "Heres an enemy out of nowhere hit shield very fast or take one of the 3 hits you're allowed!" is just not for me. Its the game being an asshole to be "hard"

I bought this after playing Returnal, a game which achieves difficulty without ever being stupid.
You are still being way too superficial with your judgement. How far have you come?

You are still being way too superficial with your judgement. How far have you come?
I'm well aware of that which is why I stopped posting when I got my answer as to what to expect further in, but had to correct ppl skewing what I meant.

Haven't had the chance to pick it back up this weekend. Gonna do so sometime soon before I forget all the buttons lol

That's why i wrote at least in the original.

I struggled the most with this boss.
That's why i wrote at least in the original.

I struggled the most with this boss.

Beat the original over 10 times when you could shoot him through the fog lol, beat the new one 5 times now and he can be cheesed, just in a diff manner.

Tons of arrows and good speed, hang on the ledge so he can't hit you and shoot him or get a quick shot off and quickly return to the ledge, he'll try and reset his position/forgetting where you are and walk down the walk way and you just repeat, same with the 2nd one.

Video(Though he was a LITTLE bit sloppy with it)

So not the hardest in the remake, but probably one of the longest/most boring if you go the easy route since you're just chipping away slowly.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I'm well aware of that which is why I stopped posting when I got my answer as to what to expect further in, but had to correct ppl skewing what I meant.

Haven't had the chance to pick it back up this weekend. Gonna do so sometime soon before I forget all the buttons lol
You should not force yourself to play it if you don't like it. No point in that.

But give the game a fair chance!

tommib

Absolutely, I wouldn't argue its premature, and normally I would never do this. But if this is the "hard" factor of the game throughout, enemies attacking out of nowhere and thats what ppl always say is so "hard" about this, i'm just not interested. There is nothing enjoyable to me about "git gud going slow and keeping ur finger on shield guard cause yes enemies out of nowhere is this game's thing" and if this is the case, admittedly premature, but i'm baffled at the levels of praise with such a lazy assholey way to go about difficulty.
I'm honestly triggered. It's my favourite game ever.

lmao to each their own. And even if my early criticism held true for the entirety, i'd still rather have that than some generic cover shooter or grind 4 life mmorpg

in before your 2nd and 3rd favorite games are The Division and Warcraft

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Beat the original over 10 times when you could shoot him through the fog lol, beat the new one 5 times now and he can be cheesed, just in a diff manner.

Tons of arrows and good speed, hang on the ledge so he can't hit you and shoot him or get a quick shot off and quickly return to the ledge, he'll try and reset his position/forgetting where you are and walk down the walk way and you just repeat, same with the 2nd one.

Video(Though he was a LITTLE bit sloppy with it)

So not the hardest in the remake, but probably one of the longest/most boring if you go the easy route since you're just chipping away slowly.

Not that i never tried to cheese a boss in a Souls game but i'm at a point where i take them head on.

Still, interesting to know that there is a way to cheese the maneater in the remake.

R6Rider

Gold Member

You can EASILY cheese the Maneater fight with the Thief Ring.

And if you have Firestorm you can essentially kill each Maneater immediately.

Honestly though the game cheeses itself with that fight as it has terrible AI. The moments where it runs up stairs out in the air is among the best AI bugs.

Alebrije

Protip for OP

images

tommib

Quake (1996), D, Tomb Raider (1996) follow Demon’s Souls. Never played any Division/Warcraft games. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: Followed by Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, RE: Remake, RE4, Returnal.

Edit2: Followed by The Evil Within, Burai Fighter, Phantasmagoria, Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link.

You can tie the knots now. 🤔

Last edited:

skit_data

And if you have Firestorm you can essentially kill each Maneater immediately.

Honestly though the game cheeses itself with that fight as it has terrible AI. The moments where it runs up stairs out in the air is among the best AI bugs.
Well, I meant the old ”kill the first one with a bow through the fog door”-cheese.

I barely used the Thief Ring in the remake for some reason. I found it so OP when playing the original that I avoided using it in the remake because it was a little bit boring.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Be careful with that, it might confuse the AI and end up not coming to ground.

That entire fight is little broken and jancky, the AI has hard time navigation that narrow area.

Fredrik

There is a steel gate midway through the level which you can open up to have a short cut.
As confusing as the whole layout is it is also hard to explain where you have to look.
It also doesn't save you that much time.

Don't jump through the holes without looking down!
I can't remember if there even is one that leads you to something specific but i'm sure they are no shortcuts.
Yeah you were right about the shortcuts. Thanks for the tips on the assassin earlier! Easy when you just calm down. Assassin plus demon lady after is dead now. Got the Thief ring too back in 1-1, useful at certain spots but Cling and Hercules Strength ring is my main combo at this point.

I’m currently struggling with the Vanguard boss in 4-1, takes 90% of my health in one attack 😳 I see that it’s optional though. But I think it’ll be a good excercise to take it down.

Con-Z-epT

Yeah you were right about the shortcuts. Thanks for the tips on the assassin earlier! Easy when you just calm down. Assassin plus demon lady after is dead now. Got the Thief ring too back in 1-1, useful at certain spots but Cling and Hercules Strength ring is my main combo at this point.

I’m currently struggling with the Vanguard boss in 4-1, takes 90% of my health in one attack 😳 I see that it’s optional though. But I think it’ll be a good excercise to take it down.
Glad i could help! 3-2 is a treat.

He is quite limited in range so a bow or magic can do the trick easily.

Or you kill him like a true demon slayer. Just watch out for the flying rays!

Fredrik

Glad i could help! 3-2 is a treat.

He is quite limited in range so a bow or magic can do the trick easily.

Or you kill him like a true demon slayer. Just watch out for the flying rays!
Okay I need to do some upgrading, I only have a starter crossbow but it barely moved his healthbar a pixel, so I went close with the halberd instead, didn’t work out so well 😅

I just shoot him from the bridge. It's cheesy, but cheesing tough enemies in Demon's Souls is half the fun.

Fredrik

I just shoot him from the bridge. It's cheesy, but cheesing tough enemies in Demon's Souls is half the fun.
Especially since the game is cheating too…

Just beat the Vanguard from the gate with a +3 long bow, 50 arrows in the head, then a base crossbow 50 bolts, and finally some Soul Ray shots.
Piece of cake, he just stood there doing nothing pfff this game is easy!

And then I went through the whole map, got the regenerator ring and all kinds of cool loot. Rushed it at the end before what I assume is the fog wall before the boss. A black soldier or something is guarding it, hmm, not even blue eyes. Can’t be too difficult then. Let’s wipe him with a Soul ray. Zappp!!! Oh No wait wait it’s a red eyed skeleton! No I’m not even holding a weapon! Dodge, panic, run!…
Dead.

Pissed off I started going back to collect the souls. Took a shortcut at a high point and dropped down a bridge with planks to a narrow pathway to not have to fight a red eye skeleton.
Of course the devs knew this and had placed an arrow trap precisely where I landed!...
Dead.

Last edited:
I remember reading this thread and as a souls vet as well I believed OP plus what I heard from others but now that I finally played and finished it either most ppl are complete noobs as well as Op or they're lying when they say they are vets at souls like games because Demons Souls Remake is the easiest souls game, even among souls-like, that I played. the bosses are so pathetically easy I would recommend this to my friends who hate the genre bcuz its too hard. Seriously, how the fuck do u get lost in such a linear game is insane to me. Besides maybe swamp of sorrows and maybe the castle there are no multiple paths, no interconnected levels, nothing, it's all straightforward so I believe OP sucks badly. Sorry OP. I thought the game was trolling me when I reached the Demon God and it was absolutely pathetic boss fight. Same with every other boss. Only one that gave me trouble were the maneaters or w/e they were called the two of them.

Just beat the Vanguard from the gate with a +3 long bow, 50 arrows in the head, then a base crossbow 50 bolts, and finally some Soul Ray shots.
Piece of cake, he just

You'd think I would see that kind of stuff as a negative, but for some reason, I love it. I was scared Bluepoint would "fix" that stuff, but they kept it true to the original.

There's something oddly satisfying killing the red dragon with 100+ arrow shots as he keeps flying around in the same loop, never breathing fire where I'm actually sniping him from.

Fredrik

You'd think I would see that kind of stuff as a negative, but for some reason, I love it. I was scared Bluepoint would "fix" that stuff, but they kept it true to the original.

There's something oddly satisfying killing the red dragon with 100+ arrow shots as he keeps flying around in the same loop, never breathing fire where I'm actually sniping him from.
Yeah I’m the same, I’m just making fun of my roller coaster of a play through, still love the game even if I suck at it, wish I had played it last year so I could have it on a GOTY list.

reezoo

My 8 year old is crying nonstop :( King Allant drained his souls 3 times reducing his characters soul level. Poor guy spent whole week (allowed only 1 hour every day to play game) to upgrade. This thing is brutal.

kingkenny76

Have you beaten Tower Knight yet? You can farm the dudes on the bridge for healing items quickly. Also, do you have that ring that makes your soul form health only go down like 1/4? That helps a little.

A good idea is to kill the skellies in Shrine and run around and grab that Crescent Falchion+1 just past the spooky skeleton with the red eyes.
The Best Early Game Weapon Location Guide - Crescent Falchion - Demon's Souls Remake [4k HDR] - YouTube
Just to add to this, fight (punch) the first skeletons (not the red eyed knight obviously) bare-handed:messenger_ok: :messenger_beermugs:

SCB3

So I took an extended break as Ratchet and Clank came out and a few games I wanted to play either on accident (yakuza like a dragon) or retro (Super Metroid)

and well, I’m progressing, slowly, got down to the arrow hallway in Latria and man, the Ctulu monsters hit hard

flame lurker is still a bitch but I almost had him, a bit more health and Mana and he was down

Top Bottom