• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(I guess): Demons Souls is probably the most unfair souls, or in fact maybe any other game out there imo

SCB3

Also a special shout out to one of the worst decisions in game design I may have seen:

Red Phantoms

Who the fuck decided that the way to punish players who die a lot is to add extra, harder enemies? So now instead of 2 Squidwards, I have 3 to beat, all capable to spamming magic at me

Awesome design choice there guys, well done

Arsic

It's the easiest from game. Almost every boss has a cheese strategy or multiple ones. Just run through levels to checkpoints.

Edit: lol at struggling on final boss I read here. You can use a ring so he can't detect you, wait for him to walk and stand backwards, then you just stand next to him casting poison over and over. Any build can do this. Will take you like 10 minutes to just watch him die of DoT.

Seriously this whole game is SUPER easy. If you get stuck and look up a cheese or guide you'll laugh how piss easy stuff becomes.

Last edited:
I just finished my NG+

This remake is a masterpiece. I really love it, even with its quirks ands all! Also it freaking gorgeous compared to the original which I also adore but is quite ugly in retrospect.

I used to think Dark Souls 1 was my favorite souls game. But this Remake is now #1 in my heart.

Somehow NG+ was way easier than my first game. I think I over leveled. Because its so much faster to grind souls in NG+ and lvl up.

Was around lvl40 on my first clear. And lvl90 ish by end of NG+. Dex build with Uchigatana. I got super luckly by finding 3 Pure Bladestones farming 2-2!

In fact it took several hours longer to farm the Bladestone Chunks I needed to fully upgrade 1 katana. Just grinding black skeletons I probably got 20 levels just out of that.

Also the swamp in world 5 is normally a huge pain because you cannot run or roll. But in remake, they added a new ring that removes the issue complely! It lets you just run through the swamp like a champ! World 5 bosses have always been the easiest. It was only the world that was a bitch.

Did all the trophies except All Miracles and All Spells now. Technically I believe I could get both already by save scumming with my cloud save file. But I think I am up for an NG++. First PS5 Platinum soon!

The All Rings trophy is the only trophy that has a strong entanglement with World and Character tendency. And I was not able to get it on my first run. But I knew what I needed to do to get pure white character tendency in NG+ and finally unlocked it.

The only tip I can give new players is do NOT let yourself die in body form. Go kill yourself in the Nexus after beating a boss. World tendency will move to black with every death in body form and your game will get harder and harder. There are reasons to go pure black to get specific items and kill very high level red phantom npcs. But for newbies, you really should stick to white if not pure white world tendency.

If you are already seeing black phantoms (black phantoms are colored Red. Confusing I know) everywhere then you have died so much your world has gone pure black. Your only chance now is to either beat a boss while in pure black, or kill a primordial demon in the world which are very limited spawns. Then it will shift quite a bit toward white again. But you will have to google that for yourself. If you are still very early in the game and already see pure black, you really should just restart with a new character build.

Last edited:
It's the easiest from game. Almost every boss has a cheese strategy or multiple ones. Just run through levels to checkpoints.

Edit: lol at struggling on final boss I read here. You can use a ring so he can't detect you, wait for him to walk and stand backwards, then you just stand next to him casting poison over and over. Any build can do this. Will take you like 10 minutes to just watch him die of DoT.

Seriously this whole game is SUPER easy. If you get stuck and look up a cheese or guide you'll laugh how piss easy stuff becomes.

Watching youtube videos of experienced players doing specific exploits is very different from actually playing the game. A lot of those exploits don't work every time. They require a very specific combination of items, intent and timing.

Also there are no check points until you beat a boss. This is one of the biggest differences with in Dark Souls and Bloodborne etc where there are bonfires or check points everywhere between boss fights.

There are absolutely no free check points in Demon's Souls. You have to earn each one by beating a boss.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Especially since the game is cheating too…

Just beat the Vanguard from the gate with a +3 long bow, 50 arrows in the head, then a base crossbow 50 bolts, and finally some Soul Ray shots.
Piece of cake, he just stood there doing nothing pfff this game is easy!

And then I went through the whole map, got the regenerator ring and all kinds of cool loot. Rushed it at the end before what I assume is the fog wall before the boss. A black soldier or something is guarding it, hmm, not even blue eyes. Can’t be too difficult then. Let’s wipe him with a Soul ray. Zappp!!! Oh No wait wait it’s a red eyed skeleton! No I’m not even holding a weapon! Dodge, panic, run!…
Dead.

Pissed off I started going back to collect the souls. Took a shortcut at a high point and dropped down a bridge with planks to a narrow pathway to not have to fight a red eye skeleton.
Of course the devs knew this and had placed an arrow trap precisely where I landed!...
Dead.
Those red eyed skeletons are slow and predictable. Easy to get behind them.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

Also a special shout out to one of the worst decisions in game design I may have seen:

Red Phantoms

Who the fuck decided that the way to punish players who die a lot is to add extra, harder enemies? So now instead of 2 Squidwards, I have 3 to beat, all capable to spamming magic at me

Don’t die in human form. When you beat a boss, warp back to the nexus and jump off a tall ledge.

Also learn the spell that makes you invisible to phantoms. The spell that casts a distant sound distracts them also.

Tchu-Espresso

I only just leaned I could consume the demon souls you get after beating a boss. I thought you just collect them as souvenirs. And I’ve beaten a few already 😂

50,000 souls in a few seconds.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I only just leaned I could consume the demon souls you get after beating a boss. I thought you just collect them as souvenirs. And I’ve beaten a few already 😂

50,000 souls in a few seconds.
Most of them are needed for special upgrades. Don't eat them all!

Little Chicken

Gold Member
I find Demon's Souls quite manageable to very easy. The only time I thought it was very difficult was the last Boletaria level.

I think Dark Souls II might be the easiest in the series aside from a few bosses.

I found Dark Souls III hard and only finished it once as a result.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yea or overly tanky enemies, that bullshit magic that the Squidheads do in Latria for example, no way to stagger them, they just spam the fuck out of it
use the thieves ring in those levels.

they are my least favorite enemy in this game but you have spells that can completely nerf them. get the anti-magic spell and they cant do shit to you.

Btw another good tip for noobs. Learn the Evacuate miracle asap. It lets you warp back to the Nexus at any time with all your souls.

It is super useful when grinding for souls or items. Especially on PS5 where loading is near instant.

Put ring of Avatice on to get even more souls. Do your killing run. Then warp back with Evacuate and repeat.

Fredrik

Oops 😥

What am I going to miss out on?
Oops here too, only one I kept was the doll demon, got me Soul ray… The rest, nom-nom-nom, and only one save… Oh well starting over now ain’t happening so it is what it is.

I have no idea why I’m going to kill myself in nexus though. What happens if I die in human form on a level? I have seen exactly nothing happen, it’s just easier since I have more health, I see no changes at all, world tendency looks the same on all levels, a white lizard eye. What am I missing?

Con-Z-epT

Oops here too, only one I kept was the doll demon, got me Soul ray… The rest, nom-nom-nom, and only one save… Oh well starting over now ain’t happening so it is what it is.

I have no idea why I’m going to kill myself in nexus though. What happens if I die in human form on a level? I have seen exactly nothing happen, it’s just easier since I have more health, I see no changes at all, world tendency looks the same on all levels, a white lizard eye. What am I missing?
When you die in human form outside of the nexus your world tendency will shift towards black. Once pure black the game will be harder.

Fredrik

When you die in human form outside of the nexus your world tendency will shift towards black. Once pure black the game will be harder.
Yeah but you will only die once since you can’t go back to human form without killing the demon. And with one death I have seen no changes to anything? I’ve literally died on all levels, still the same white lizard eye on all levels as when I started the game. Is it barely noticeable? How does pure black look?

Con-Z-epT

Yeah but you will only die once since you can’t go back to human form without killing the demon. And with one death I have seen no changes to anything? I’ve literally died on all levels, still the same white lizard eye on all levels as when I started the game. Is it barely noticeable? How does pure black look?
That is correct. As long as you don't die in human form outside of the nexus, multiple times, nothing will change.

You can also turn back to human form with a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.

Last edited:

Tchu-Espresso

Not necessarily. If you use a stone of ephemeral eyes, you will turn back to human form. You pick these up here and there.

I made the mistake of using them multiple times in Boletaria because you can only play along with other humans in human form.

Side effect of Boletaria being pure black for me is the red dragon is gone and the blocked gate at the very start on the left is now open, revealing some goodies but some phantoms.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Red Phantoms

I believe that is Miyazaki's way of saying git gud.

Fredrik

Not necessarily. If you use a stone of ephemeral eyes, you will turn back to human form. You pick these up here and there.

I made the mistake of using them multiple times in Boletaria because you can only play along with other humans in human form.

Side effect of Boletaria being pure black for me is the red dragon is gone and the blocked gate at the very start on the left is now open, revealing some goodies but some phantoms.
Oh okay, I’ve never tried those items. Good to know. I don’t have PS+ though so no invaders in my game. But if it gets harder, something to keep in mind, I really don’t need this game to be any harder 😬

Tchu-Espresso

Oh okay, I’ve never tried those items. Good to know. I don’t have PS+ though so no invaders in my game. But if it gets harder, something to keep in mind, I really don’t need this game to be any harder 😬
Keep farming the 2 blue eyed nights at the start of 1-3. You will build up souls in no time.

SCB3

OK small update

I almost quit, I've put in a good 4 or 5 hours in yesterday and today and was hitting 2 walls - Flamelurker and 3-1's run to the boss

Flamelurker I was almost beating but a good 20 or so attempts just got me mad so decided to try the Fools Idol, well 3-1 is some really hard enemies for me and no healing so grinded out 2-3 for souls and healing, finally got down to turn the arrows off and unlocked the shortcuts, and theres a Red Squid Phantom and 2 harder squids blocking me, this took me hours to get past, eventually I cheesed 2 of them with arrows and Soul Ray took care of the last one.

A death to Fools Idol later and to just knock out the first Archdemon - Dragon God for some reason I jsut kept dying to him, after a good 10 attempts, he finally went down!

Finally some good progress, I think its finally clicking with me now and I'm at a decent skill level x Soul level to carry on, the extra HP I got from Vitality is gonna help me in Latria at least, Cresent Falchion and Soul Ray are hard carrying though.

Also, if anyone wants some inspiration or depression, BertoPlease had a great run at SGDQ which made me pick the game back up and git gud further:

SCB3

I don't know what it is about this game, seeing as I'm completed the rest, but the sheer amount of bullshit it will throw at you is relentless at times,

So 3-1 sucks, the squids are bullshit, they don't stagger, very strong and in tight spaces mostly, I have a run to boss sorted with a Phantom at the end that can cause plague in a single hit, a archer somewhere that is close to invisible (I can't find him anywhere) whilst fighting said Phantom and a boss that is kinda easy with some bs stun on the floor that always happens to be where I'm running to, but to top that off, the boss revives UNLESS you kill an enemy first, one I missed until I had to look it up

At this point, some of this game isn't just about how hard it can be, but how tedious some of it can be, I will beat this game, it will not beat me!

Last edited:

Fredrik

but to top that off, the boss revives UNLESS you kill an enemy first, one I missed until I had to look it up
Lol yeah that was some serious bullshit, when it goes that way it’s like playing Rick Dangerous on the Amiga, pure trial and error

SCB3

I was tempted to say something because you said you were at that boss. But I didn't want to spoil the suprise! :messenger_smiling_horns:
Honestly, I should've expected it, I knew there was a enemy up there, but I left him alone as I could talk to him

I am tempted to go to free Yuria and get Firestorm though

Last edited:
Grindy? Yes. Unfair, no. I've stopped at the Valley of Defilement back on the PS3 but with 60fps on the PS5 with remade graphics, makes this one of the most enjoyable and beautiful games period.

Fredrik

Honestly, I should've expected it, I knew there was a enemy up there, but I left him alone as I could talk to him

I am tempted to go to free Yuria and get Firestorm though
Wut? You could talk up him? What did he say? I just went in with full rage and slaughter him 😬

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just grumbles, not voice really
Phew lol 😅
I have to say though, even with all these evil traps and trial and error gameplay it’s a fantastic game, there is a suspense from knowing I could get insta-killed any second that I never get elsewhere. I’m nervous, and I like it.

SCB3

Phew lol 😅
I have to say though, even with all these evil traps and trial and error gameplay it’s a fantastic game, there is a suspense from knowing I could get insta-killed any second that I never get elsewhere. I’m nervous, and I like it.

Oh don't get me wrong, I love these games, but my god is Demons Souls the most triggering one, the QoL stuff that the rest of the series gets is much better

Also, i really need to find or found out to buy more Stones of Ephemeral eyes

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

For the amount of complaints you have, i'm surprised that you still play the game.

Seems that the positive aspects of the game outweigh the negatives for you. Which is a good thing.

Just wait for 5-2. :messenger_winking::messenger_smiling_horns:

SCB3

For the amount of complaints you have, i'm surprised that you still play the game.

Seems that the positive aspects of the game outweigh the negatives for you. Which is a good thing.

Just wait for 5-2. :messenger_winking::messenger_smiling_horns:

I'm mainly venting, better than throwing my controller through the screen lol

Fredrik

Oh don't get me wrong, I love these games, but my god is Demons Souls the most triggering one, the QoL stuff that the rest of the series gets is much better

Also, i really need to find or found out to buy more Stones of Ephemeral eyes
Not sure I should say this…
I haven’t actually played any other game in the serie 🤐
I bought Dark Souls 1 but always thought I should finish Demon’s Souls first, but then I put the PS3 away and there has been no BC for PS3 games.
Then I tried Bloodborne, one night, couldn’t get into it and there was annoying constant stutter I just couldn’t deal with.
I’d love if Bluepoint made remakes of the whole serie.

Last edited:

SCB3

Not sure I should say this…
I haven’t actually played any other game in the serie 🤐
I bought Dark Souls 1 but always thought I should finish Demon’s Souls first, but then I put the PS3 away and there has been no BC for PS3 games.
Then I tried Bloodborne, one night, couldn’t get into it and there was annoying constant stutter I just couldn’t deal.
I’d love if Bluepoint made remakes of the whole serie.
Dark Souls remastered is good and the rest of the series plays fine now, DS3 and Bloodborne are a lot faster

I will say, Dark Souls 2 may be my favourite, but mainly cause it was my first

Crzy1

I played the original on the PS3 at launch and still had trouble with the remake. It's definitely unfair in a lot of sections. I had to start over after my first character got stuck around 2/3rds of the way through. Magic builds are pretty strong in Demon's Souls, but super tanky builds are ok too once you learn patterns.

Grinding the first bits of shrine of storms is an ok way to get some souls and level up and the health regen equipment is so good. The first sections become trivial past a certain soul level, so don't be afraid to back out and get yourself a level or two once you've gotten a few souls in the bank. I think it's less about getting good and more about finding the right systems to abuse.

Con-Z-epT

Then I tried Bloodborne, one night, couldn’t get into it and there was annoying constant stutter I just couldn’t deal with.
Maybe it was the frame pacing. I still love Bloodborne the most. Atmosphere and lore are unmatched.

Con-Z-epT

Yup, could be, 30fps is bad enough for action games but there was something else going on, reminded me of Halo 1 which almost had me puke.
Also hard to come back after Demon's Souls on PS5 and the fact that you can play every Dark Souls entrie and Sekiro in 60fps on PS5.

I mean you get used to it after some time but it is not the same.

SCB3

Fools Idol down and I do not like the look of 3-2 already, I believe this is the infamous lair of the Maneater boss…

I’m going to go free Yuria and Freke first I think, actually I wonder if 4-1 is doable now…

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fools Idol down and I do not like the look of 3-2 already, I believe this is the infamous lair of the Maneater boss…

I’m going to go free Yuria and Freke first I think, actually I wonder if 4-1 is doable now…
You never did 4-1? Did you at least get the crescent falchion from there?

R6Rider

Gold Member
3-2 is indeed the Maneater boss.
I didn't finish it, just got the items around the areas
Archstone 4 has probably the easiest set of bosses, but among the hardest areas to get through.

What's you current build, weapons, etc. you are using?

Top Bottom