• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP(I guess): Demons Souls is probably the most unfair souls, or in fact maybe any other game out there imo

SCB3

Play Returnal, and later we talk about unfair games.

Thats next on my list, Ixion humbled me there, again, I won't give up easy, I'll do it in time!

Anyway, Penetrator down, World 1 done til the end now, I like this boss a lot and wasn't bad at all, rescued Yuria and Biorr as well, so have a lot more Magic to play with

I looked back at my Trophies for the original Demons Souls and yea, I'm a lot further, I still own it as well, I bought the SE a long time ago now,

3-2 is indeed the Maneater boss.

Archstone 4 has probably the easiest set of bosses, but among the hardest areas to get through.

What's you current build, weapons, etc. you are using?

E6NCHshXoAAuTOK

Crescent Falchion+1, Wooden Catalyst, mixed Fluted and Black Armor

Also, this game is gorgeous sometimes, I love this shot (I also forgot Photo mode was a new addition)

E6NCMVnXsAMttLc

Markio128

I’ve had this game since launch, yet I still haven’t finished it. I must have restarted 3-4 times, then recently thought I’d try a magic build to at least get to see more of the game and maybe become more accustomed to the levels to make the more direct builds easier in the future. lo-and-behold, I beat the Flamelurker today for the first time (still took several attempts). I can’t tell you how satisfying it was to finally see him turn wispy-blue. So that’s 6 bosses down and next up is 5-1.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Thats next on my list, Ixion humbled me there, again, I won't give up easy, I'll do it in time!

Anyway, Penetrator down, World 1 done til the end now, I like this boss a lot and wasn't bad at all, rescued Yuria and Biorr as well, so have a lot more Magic to play with

I looked back at my Trophies for the original Demons Souls and yea, I'm a lot further, I still own it as well, I bought the SE a long time ago now,

E6NCHshXoAAuTOK

Also, this game is gorgeous sometimes, I love this shot (I also forgot Photo mode was a new addition)

E6NCMVnXsAMttLc
The Knight turned Sorcerer haha.

You eventually find a merchant who sells more stuff including the Half Moon Grass (and at a cheap price) and that should be your lowest healing option from then on as the Crescent Moon Grass isn't worth it at that point.

Crescent Falchion can easily carry you through the rest of the game.

SCB3

The Knight turned Sorcerer haha.

You eventually find a merchant who sells more stuff including the Half Moon Grass (and at a cheap price) and that should be your lowest healing option from then on as the Crescent Moon Grass isn't worth it at that point.

Crescent Falchion can easily carry you through the rest of the game.

Bilge? Just found him and got lost for ages trying to find the Adjudicator, he was easy as with Soul Ray, got both Trophies for killing him and for not knocking him down (just cheesed him with Soul Ray) there and was in Soul form as well from the last boss, getting there now!

As for next? Hmm, Old Hero in 4-2 seems logical, or Maneater in 3-2

R6Rider

Gold Member
Bilge? Just found him and got lost for ages trying to find the Adjudicator, he was easy as with Soul Ray, got both Trophies for killing him and for not knocking him down (just cheesed him with Soul Ray) there and was in Soul form as well from the last boss, getting there now!

Blige is good, but I was talking about Patches. You might have already ran into him though.

Old Hero fight can be tough. His dying yell is hilarious though.

Careful dying a lot in human form as it can make the world more difficult.

SCB3

Blige is good, but I was talking about Patches. You might have already ran into him though.

Old Hero fight can be tough. His dying yell is hilarious though.

Careful dying a lot in human form as it can make the world more difficult.
Don't worry about spoilers btw, I knew the game well enough before I started playing, watched Speedruns of the original for years

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Don't worry about spoilers btw, I knew the game well enough before I started playing, watched Speedruns of the original for years
Ah okay lol, but I did it for other users too (although one should expect some spoilers in a topic like this).

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
The most unfair would have to be DS I because there's a part where you literally must die to progress (unless you bone out, I guess). Goodbye however many thousands of souls you were carrying. I consider the Souls games to have a fair challenge, but that was definitely the exception.

SCB3

Fuck, I just realised I may have killed Patches in 2-2, can you still get into the hole he pushes you into later?

Fuck, I just realised I may have killed Patches in 2-2, can you still get into the hole he pushes you into later?
Yes, you can still get into the hole yourself no problem

Not having him as a vendor is unfortunate. But there are a lot of other vendors. Patches is just the most convenient one because he is usually at the Nexus.

SCB3

Yes, you can still get into the hole yourself no problem

Not having him as a vendor is unfortunate. But there are a lot of other vendors. Patches is just the most convenient one because he is usually at the Nexus.
Damn, well he may actually still be alive as he fell under the wooden planks and didn't actually see him die, so theres a chance

Damn, well he may actually still be alive as he fell under the wooden planks and didn't actually see him die, so theres a chance

If you just aggroed him and did not kill him, you can buy forgiveness from the statue at the Nexus.

But it costs 25000 just to unlock and then the amout of souls forgiveness costs depends on character level.

Otherwise he will attack you on sight.

SCB3

I think I'm either done or resorting to summons at this point, Maneater one way, Old Hero the other and its not the bosses that do it, its the runs to them, I'm just getting bored of that tedium of those 2.

I think I'm either done or resorting to summons at this point, Maneater one way, Old Hero the other and its not the bosses that do it, its the runs to them, I'm just getting bored of that tedium of those 2.

I had never played a souls game before I played DS on PS5 (Somehow I missed this one on PS3). I have since platinumed it, and I was but a lowly souls peasant.

When I thought about giving up, the glorious words of Commander Peter Quincy Taggart kept me going:

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

SCB3

I had never played a souls game before I played DS on PS5 (Somehow I missed this one on PS3). I have since platinumed it, and I was but a lowly souls peasant.

When I thought about giving up, the glorious words of Commander Peter Quincy Taggart kept me going:

NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER!

I'm not giving up, I think I just need a break from banging my head against it, Zelda: Skyward Sword is here tomorrow so that'll be a nice break

Just been playing through Metroid Zero Mission again (I finished Super Metroid for the first time last week, going through the series before Dread is out in October) and thats another classic hard game but refreshing in a different way

Lanrutcon

Can't you just...level up? lots? grind like a motherfucker, overcome through sheer time spent? You can do it in the other Souls games. The amount of streamers who only get through Bloodborne via gross overleveling is hilarious.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Slap on the Thief ring and use it to beat the shit out of those bosses. They're not even good boss fights honestly.

The Maneater fight is boring and usually glitches out anyway.

SCB3

Can't you just...level up? lots? grind like a motherfucker, overcome through sheer time spent? You can do it in the other Souls games. The amount of streamers who only get through Bloodborne via gross overleveling is hilarious.
I guess thats an option, but it kinda goes against the spirit of it being Overlevelled

Slap on the Thief ring and use it to beat the shit out of those bosses. They're not even good boss fights honestly.

The Maneater fight is boring and usually glitches out anyway.
Hmm, that is a good point, I use Cloak as a spell, but the thief ring may be a solid option, its behind Ostravia in 1-1 right? I need to go kill him for the key anyway

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hmm, that is a good point, I use Cloak as a spell, but the thief ring may be a solid option, its behind Ostravia in 1-1 right? I need to go kill him for the key anyway
Yeah, but he might have moved on depending on if you killed the enemies near him or not.

Ring is over the wall you can vault if I remember correctly.

dyergram

Put your summon sign down let someone show you where to go. Beat the boss regain humanity summon someone else beat the boss. Profit.

SCB3

Leechmonger down in 1 try, Fire Magic made this easy, didn't even get hit, possibly the easiest first time boss I've had in souls aside from maybe the Taurus demon, who when I faced him back in 2011 when Dark Souls came out, jumped off the fucking bridge.

I like the Valley of defilement a lot, very Blight town esque

Also, I fucked up on magic slightly, I cannot enchant my weapon (Crescent Falchion) so that was a waste of boss souls, unless I go for the Platinum......

Last edited:

iHaunter

E6NCHshXoAAuTOK

E6NCMVnXsAMttLc
Your lighting settings are incorrect. Your game is FAR too bright and has no atmosphere. I would suggest redoing them.

skit_data

Ouff, the path to Old Hero is a shitty one. Those damn reapers and their summons are a pretty big obstacle. Luckily Old Hero himself is pretty easy if you’re patient.

SCB3

Ouff, the path to Old Hero is a shitty one. Those damn reapers and their summons are a pretty big obstacle. Luckily Old Hero himself is pretty easy if you’re patient.
I have 3 red Phantoms just at his door now, so that’s nice

the reapers can be dealt with at range (I can avoid the first one by dropping down and using the shortcut)
Your lighting settings are incorrect. Your game is FAR too bright and has no atmosphere. I would suggest redoing them.
nah

Last edited:

SCB3

It is threads like this who make developers dumb down their games.
I dont want the game to be easier. I like the difficulty

But.... case in point:

So I died on this level a few too many times and so now, just before the boss I get these fuckers:

E6Xkp9wWQAEOSEJ

Ok, out range them and they're slow, I have the thief ring on so the Storm beats are ignoring me mostly

Go round the corner and this cunt is here:
E6XkoBAXIAMTm2B

Who can one shot me through a shield block

I do feel like the Tendencies should be the other way round, having harder enemies when you're doing well makes more sense to me, but Demons Souls makes enemies harder the more you die (in human form)

R6Rider

Gold Member

But.... case in point:

So I died on this level a few too many times and so now, just before the boss I get these fuckers:

E6Xkp9wWQAEOSEJ

Ok, out range them and they're slow, I have the thief ring on so the Storm beats are ignoring me mostly

E6XkoBAXIAMTm2B

I do feel like the Tendencies should be the other way round, having harder enemies when you're doing well makes more sense to me, but Demons Souls makes enemies harder the more you die (in human form)
Try to get your WT back to white, which if you're not playing online, will be harder to do.

Don't forget you can kill a certain demon that spawns in at Pure Black WT that brings the WT back to at least neutral.

Yoboman

But.... case in point:

E6Xkp9wWQAEOSEJ

E6XkoBAXIAMTm2B

Go to human form in the nexus and try to kill any black phantoms that come to you in that world to shift it to white

Otherwise you can farm the reapers in that area to level up quickly

Those enemies are also super telegraphed, I draw them out to the larger area then cheap shot them when you get far enough away that they start walking away. You might also find that a blunt weapon or fists works way better on them

SCB3

Otherwise you can farm the reapers in that area to level up quickly
Yep, not proud to admit it, but just spent a good half an hour killing the first reaper, got a good amount of souls to replenish my items and level a few times, I do feel like I may have been under levelled a bit here

Also upgraded my bow, but this felt like a waste of time tbh

SCB3

So close to the end now, World 5 - The Valley of Defilement completed.

Not too bad actually, Dirty Colossus was easy enough with Fire Magic, down first time and Maiden Asteria was very easy to just cheese with Fire Arrows, I then went back and killed Garl Vinland as he was a phantom (which tbh I thought he wouldn't be), I liked the area though, I did feel like I was over levelled for it but I guess the real danger there was Poison, Blight town this was not.

Back to Old Hero and Maneater's now, I finally have Firestorm though and a lot more Magic damage, I know that the 3-3 boss gives you homing soul, so that may be my next goal,

Last edited:

SCB3

We're almost there people! Old Hero and Storm King down in one go, now for the place I've been fearing:

Latria....

Markio128

Currently getting battered by Maneater and his twin. I can’t seem to kill the 1st one before the 2nd spoils the party. Any tips?

SCB3

Currently getting battered by Maneater and his twin. I can’t seem to kill the 1st one before the 2nd spoils the party. Any tips?
They got wrecked by Firestorm so badly that I did it no hit style, Old Monk also down, I guess it was AI or someone trying to use Claws, but hey, killed them easy and got Homing Soul arrow

This leaves just one place left:

4-1 and King Allant....

SCB3

My watch is over, I seeked souls and souls seeked me, my 2nd try on Allant:

E6iJm3ZXsAkzAIF

Firestorm fucks him up, Good Ending btw, I walked away, its was symbolic of my time lol

E6iJoP-WYAECBPe

I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't worth it or that I maybe, maybe went for the3 Platinum, I'm not that far off, a 2nd playthrough away...

But for now, thanks Demons Souls and everyone that helped or offered advice, I knew I could do it and hey, it took me a while, but there we go....

As for my next masochist game, well there is Returnal to come....

Last edited:

Markio128

My watch is over, I seeked souls and souls seeked me, my 2nd try on Allant:

E6iJm3ZXsAkzAIF

Firestorm fucks him up, Good Ending btw, I walked away, its was symbolic of my time lol

E6iJoP-WYAECBPe

I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't worth it or that I maybe, maybe went for the3 Platinum, I'm not that far off, a 2nd playthrough away...

But for now, thanks Demons Souls and everyone that helped or offered advice, I knew I could do it and hey, it took me a while, but there we go....

As for my next masochist game, well there is Returnal to come....
I’m hoping I can watch those DS credits roll some day soon haha. Good luck with Returnal btw. It’s similarly tough, but rather than needing a methodical approach, you‘ve just gotta keep moving and shooting. I think with DS, I’m going to save souls for some decent fire magic for the levels/bosses I’m currently struggling with. Well done with completing DS.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

Demon Soul's Golden Path: choose royal class, get the cling ring and thiefs ring in 1-1, beat 1-1 boss, magic your way through 2-1, get the magic boosting off-hand blade before 2-1 boss, beat 2-1 boss by cheesing him by shooting magic by the entrance, grind skeletons in 3-1, get the magic sword in 3-1, save the merchant and get the bow in 3-1, use shortcut in 3-1 to get to boss, cheese boss with bow from top floor, unlock 3-1 and farm the Reaper with a bow until you're OP enough to take on the rest of the game. There's an even better farming area once you finish 3-3.

Blond

Banned
OP do a magic build and you’ll literally walk through the game. By the end of your first run homing soul arrow will kill the final boss in 10 seconds

Fredrik

I wish I bought this physically. So I could take out the disc and grind it down to a powder to feed the fish. Or something.

Just had the most brutal souls loss. Stopping for now.

SCB3

I wish I bought this physically. So I could take out the disc and grind it down to a powder to feed the fish. Or something.

Just had the most brutal souls loss. Stopping for now.
Where are you stuck? Its always good to take a break (Like I am doing switching between Zelda: SS and DS2: SotFS )

Fredrik

Where are you stuck? Its always good to take a break (Like I am doing switching between Zelda: SS and DS2: SotFS )
Yeah I’m just pissed off right now, give me a Nintendo kiddy mode with a win button please! Feels dumb to waste time just grind until easy mode is unlocked, the git gud meme is the fakest shit, it’s just more work and more frustrating than going into a menu to flick a switch, I’ve been looking at guides and everybody is just breaking the game lowering the difficulty anyway with cheap tricks.

Once The Ascent is out I’ll jump into that instead. About a week left.

I’m currently at the second level Smithing Ground with the red turtles. I’m just grinding trying to find the needed parts to upgrade the crushing battle axe, lost an insane amount of souls from a Megaman knockback kill. Halberd is upgraded to +7, but I think it’s too slow. And I’m too week for magic, going with a strength build. And the bow isn’t upgraded much. And I assume you can’t downgrade and get the upgrade parts back?

Last edited:

skneogaf

I finished this yesterday, I died a couple of times in the swamp level which isong run to get to the boss but apart from that the game was fairly straightforward as in I died no more than 10 times per level which I think is a fair amount.

Top Bottom