• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to mention that THERE WILL BE SPOILERS. I also want to mention this was the first time reading manga. It was an experience.

As of right now, Josuke is my second favorite Jojo. Joseph will always have a place in my heart for being the wacky and magnificent protagonist that made Part 2 really shine. Part 4 in my opinion has the most interesting villain in the series at this point for me. Yoshikage Kira just has this air about him that makes him so wonderfully villainous and evil. He is much more about skulking around in the shadows. He is just as arrogant as DIO and Kars but is not flamboyant and flashy. He keeps to himself and just wants to lead a peaceful life...

A few things really helped make this feel different from Stardust Crusaders. First, most of the stand battles were not just resolved with lots of punching. There was more of a focus on working out the abilities of the enemy stand and figuring out how to counter them. What also made it different from Part 3 is that the entire part takes place in a singular location, Morioh. Its not much of an actual adventure this time around. Its not a race against time.

The story is mainly about the hunt for Yoshikage Kira and Josuke and co. having misadventures and stand battles. At times it really reminded me of Ed, Edd, and Eddy. That being said, the monster of the week format of dealing with various stand battles works really well here.

My favorite Stand Battles were:

Koichi and Jotaro vs. Yoshikage Kira

I really enjoyed how Jotaro's incredible strength, speed, precision, and time freezing weren't much good against only the hand of Killer Queen. Since Jotaro could pretty much handle anything thrown at him in Part 3, it was grea that they showed the new antagonist couldn't be beaten by Jotaro's old tactics. It was also a great spot for Koichi to shine and show off problem solving skills and utilizing his stand Echoes to neutralization the hand. It was also great to see the calm and collected Kira lose it because of Koichi.

Kishibe Rohan vs. Ken Oyanagi

Rock, Paper, Scissors the stand battle. It was everything I wanted it to be and more. Jojo fights have always had ridiculous battles and situations and this was no exception. Araki did the impossible and made a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors into one of the most enjoyable parts of the entire series.

Koichi vs. Yukako Yamagishi

It was funny to see a straight up yandere show up in Jojo. Here we see Koichi trying to figure out his stand's abilities while placating and fending off Yukako

I hope the anime adaption of Part 4 is just as good as the other Jojo anime.

Matsukaze

Part 4 in my opinion has the most interesting villain in the series at this point for me. Yoshikage Kira just has this air about him that makes him so wonderfully villainous and evil. He is much more about skulking around in the shadows. He is just as arrogant as DIO and Kars but is not flamboyant and flashy. He keeps to himself and just wants to lead a peaceful life...
Kira is the best villain in the entire series. I cannot wait to see him and my second favorite Stand in action.

I also can't wait to see the animosity between Josuke and Rohan. Their mutual disdain is one of my favorite dynamics in all JBA.

Part 4 is going to be sooooo good. It's probably the most well-written arc (if not 4, then Part 7 for sure), the small town setting is so intimate, and the characters just function so well together. It can't get here soon enough.

Blues1990

I agree with you about the mention of Chapter 4 having similar beats to a standard episode of Ed, Edd, n' Eddy. I would go as far to say that the three main protagonists are the anime versions of the Ed's.

massoluk

Banned
The Best Jojo part. Crazy Diamond's ability really lend itself to so many creative battles that remain unmatched imo. Part 3 battles was just dude punching. Part 5 was just god damn overcomplicated. Part 4 was just right.

Hatty

The second best Jojo
The manga will be better than the anime as it has been in the past, everyone might as well read it before the anime airs

The second best Jojo
The manga will be better than the anime as it has been in the past, everyone might as well read it before the anime airs

I am reading all the Manga before Eyes of Heaven comes out. I wanna know who these characters are before I play the game.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Kishibe Rohan vs. Ken Oyanagi

Rock, Paper, Scissors the stand battle. It was everything I wanted it to be and more. Jojo fights have always had ridiculous battles and situations and this was no exception. Araki did the impossible and made a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors into one of the most enjoyable parts of the entire series.

I can't wait for this segment to be animated. Really looking forward to Rohan just punching a kid in the face like a total asshole for no reason.

Agreed.

I'm looking forward to what Part 4's OST will contain. My hope is that they can grab Another One Bites the Dust for the ending (well, probably only the ending for the second half of Part 4).

If you listen to the Super Best Friendcast, suggested All Star by Smash Mouth for an ending op. It would work really well for an ending op for the first half. It would fit with the shenanigans of Josuke and his friends and the song was popular during the time when Part 4 was written. Araki probably listened to it during that time.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Kira's the GOAT.

No mention of Let's Go Eat Italian Food arc though, tsk tsk.

Neol

Definitely agree. Part 4 for me was definitely one of the defining moments of the entirety of the series as you can really see Araki's general story telling improving as well as the different variation of Stands and there abilities. I also like the setting as its all contained within the town giving you more of a sense of how the town is with a sense of slice of life put in there. Plus Yoshikage Kira is imo Araki's most developed villain being up there in my list right next to Dio.

Just wish Okuyasu had a bigger part in the story though. As much as I love him, his stand is a bit problematic in the sense as its too strong and the only reason to justify him not wrecking every opponent is that he is just plain stupid.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Killer Queen is bar none my favourite stand introduction ever

anyone liked the Highway Star fight? Shit was just manic! And Yuuya such a complete bastard i felt so relieved when Josuke was finally able to put him in a coma again

If it weren't for SBR, this would be my favorite part. Love the relationships that Josuke forms with all of the characters throughout. I really enjoyed all of the characters, it's just hard not to love the main cast in this one. Part 5 was a huge step down.

The arc with Fatty was the best.

The only real big negative of this arc is Araki using "fate" as an excuse for stand users meeting instead of having Joseph being useful again and using spirit photography direct the gang towards them as they try to locate Kira. That and sweeping time travel Josuke under the rug...

anyone liked the Highway Star fight? Shit was just manic! And Yuuya such a complete bastard i felt so relieved when Josuke was finally able to put him in a coma again

Josuke was cocky as hell during this fight. I loved it.
9oK28oS.png

Joyful

The only real big negative of this arc is Araki using "fate" as an excuse for stand users meeting instead of having Joseph being useful again and using spirit photography direct the gang towards them as they try to locate Kira. That and sweeping time travel Josuke under the rug...

ye its 11 years after part 3 bit Joseph seemed to go from capable to useless old man a bit too quick

Matsukaze

If you listen to the Super Best Friendcast, suggested All Star by Smash Mouth for an ending op. It would work really well for an ending op for the first half. It would fit with the shenanigans of Josuke and his friends and the song was popular during the time when Part 4 was written. Araki probably listened to it during that time.
I must have missed that, but yeah, that's a damn good choice for the first ending.

RE: Joseph's "downgrade"
I still don't know how I feel about that, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it was awkward as hell to bring Joseph into the picture when his schtick was supposed to be finding the bad guy, only to take a hard left turn and veer away from that route.

That being said, I can't fault Araki for having Joseph fall into senility. If memory serves, Joseph was just shy of 80 during the events of Part 4. The days of being a master Hamon user and reaping its vitality-related benefits were long behind him. It was pretty sobering to see Joseph, once the most lively and dynamic of Araki's characters, fall prey to Father Time, but I can appreciate it as a way of Araki indicating that "nothing lasts forever".

Joseph was useful in other ways.... that lead to Josuke =D

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map

btw, this is incorrect. Diamond is Unbreakable took place in '99, but was written from '92 to '95. Vento Aureo was winding down back in '99.

Part 4 isn't my favorite part, but Kira and Killer Queen are my favorite character and stand in the whole series.

The first time you see Bite the Dust in action. So damn great.

dani_dc

I must have missed that, but yeah, that's a damn good choice for the first ending.

RE: Joseph's "downgrade"
I still don't know how I feel about that, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, it was awkward as hell to bring Joseph into the picture when his schtick was supposed to be finding the bad guy, only to take a hard left turn and veer away from that route.

That being said, I can't fault Araki for having Joseph fall into senility. If memory serves, Joseph was just shy of 80 during the events of Part 4. The days of being a master Hamon user and reaping its vitality-related benefits were long behind him. It was pretty sobering to see Joseph, once the most lively and dynamic of Araki's characters, fall prey to Father Time, but I can appreciate it as a way of Araki indicating that "nothing lasts forever".

I'm going to guess that Joseph just didn't use the Hamon, there's no other justification for him to be in this state (Straits in part 2 was 75 and in much better shape than Joseph in Part 3).

Honestly what bothered me about Joseph in Part 4 was how little we saw of his relationship with Josuke, their entire relationship changed dramatically between when they meet and when Joseph left at the end... But most of it happened off screen.

These are both terrible ideas and the arc is better without them.

Josuke being saved by a cool dude with shitty hair, and emulating him is way better than just doing what fucking Harry Potter did years later.

Mexen

I just started reading it last night and I read up to the Bad Company fight. I flipped, Sogood.gif

These are both terrible ideas and the arc is better without them.

Josuke being saved by a cool dude with shitty hair, and emulating him is way better than just doing what fucking Harry Potter did years later.
What's so terrible about a not terrible Joseph? And while I doubt Araki could have made time travel make any sense in the context of part 4, and yess part 4 is better off without it, the void left is so obviously pointing towards that abandoned plot it's hilarious.

Edit: AlSO DID YOU SAY SHITTY HAIR?!

SalvaPot

The story of the Ghost Girl and her dog was so sad, but I really liked how it was managed and its not in your face as most sad stories, honestly I hope they can do it justice in the anime.

dan2026

Hyped like crazy for the part 4 anime. Can't wait.

One of the best bits is Josuke/Crazy Diamond bypassing Rohan's Stand and punching him in the face, because he was literally blinded by anger after Rohan insulted his hair.

part 4 is really great and I agree the Kira is best villain in the entire series with the best designed stand, which is also named after one of my favorite songs.
The stands in that part overall were great, they were very unique and interesting without being overly complicated like in the following parts.

Cant wait for the anime

Boogiepop

I like part 4 a lot, in that it has my favorite Jojo (who also has my favorite main character Stand), plus the overall feel is great. On the other hand, the overarching plot is especially messy, and doesn't really come together right at all until Kira comes on the scene (though overarching plot isn't the most important thing in Jojo's, at least). And the other thing that keeps it from being my favorite is... honestly, the final fight is kind of a let down for me (though not as badly as the finale to part 5). Like, Another One Bites the Dust is admittedly fun/interesting arc, but it's honestly a kind of crap ability in that it pretty much nearly leads Kira straight to getting screwed over by a powerless kid. But then Kira goes from a cold blooded killer with an interesting power (who has some damn amazing moments earlier on, especially when he murders the cast members he does), to... kind of Krang style fusing with Stray Cat and just firing normal explosives. I was so excited for a battle that really shows off how cunning an tricky he was, utilizing Killer Queen to the limit, but that's not what we ended up getting, which was a real shame IMO.

Still, really looking forward to the anime, as there's a ton to love in this part.

Jaxec

Definitely my favorite JoJo part. Josuke and Kira are both my favorite JoJo and antagonist, so this part getting anime was a dream come true. I actually love that fact that the main plot and Kira didn't come around till the second half because I felt it allowed me to concentrate more on the gang and the weird happenings of Morioh. Stuff like eating at Tonio's was something I felt the series should do more of, by that I mean not having every battle be a life or death struggle (something that Part 4 does incredibly well in my opinion). But yeah, looking forward to seeing my favorite arcs animated such as Highway Star, Sheer Heart Attack, and Another one Bites the Dust. Oh and I wanna see how David handles the greatest rock,papers, scissors match of all time (and also Rohan punching a kid).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom