• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Tunavi

Banned
There's an FPS mode? I must try this.
Press X during ground sections. Not for flying.

...literally.

lololololol
tumblr_mdo7qrvHlH1qc1xtmo1_500.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
The best part is the orchestrated Game Over music that fades into the 8-bit reaper theme.

Korosenai

If anyone is up to play this tonight just hit me up with a pm and your friend code, id love to play with some gaffers (and imo playing the game online with gaf is a LOT of fun).

Awww. Did you even play the game?
I doubt it would work at all for a lot of the game.

You need that speedy controlled movement. Second pad doesn't do this.
Is this the go to accusation against people who dont like the controls? Try again dude.

You dont need to be that precise lower than 5. Dual analog would have been a step up from ABXY.

Don't all copies have the stand? The stand is useful sometimes but not required.

Maybe? I suspect that shop was selling the stand on its own.

I just held it in my hands, with 3D all the way up, but I'm not a weak spaz who can't hold a system still, so...

I ain't no weak toad, but maybe that would be useful later on.

I would probably skip this, won't fit in da pocket.

M3d10n

I've done some of them. Theyre not fun, but then again, theyre not any fun with the touch screen either.

Something very few people seem to have noticed: if you don't touch the touchscreen at all and only move the circle pad during the flying sections, you can control both Pit and the crosshair like in Panzer Dragoon and Star Fox.

I never used the stand myself. Though, I played on an original 3DS. Not sure how well I could hold an XL playing this. I always kept two fingers under the system while using the other three to hold the stylus. It sounds weird but honestly never bothered me.

Neiteio

Wii U with IR aiming.
WiiU could make it better graphically, but I really don't think I'd want to give up the tactile quality of the stylus controls. I feel like I'm wielding a sword when I do a quick flick to pivot-turn at any incoming attack or when I'm frantically swiping to track an elusive target. It reminds me of twitch shooters like Unreal Tournament. So good.

Ragus

Banned
-funny and interesting script
-amazing pacing
-beautiful graphics
-goofy voices which work sooooo well
-long
-GOAT difficulty scheme
-addictive weapon crafting
-beautiful soundtrack
-hot springs

My personal game of the year.

jwhit28

WiiU could make it better graphically, but I really don't think I'd want to give up the tactile quality of the stylus controls. I feel like I'm wielding a sword when I do a quick flick to pivot-turn at any incoming attack or when I'm frantically swiping to track an elusive target. It reminds me of twitch shooters like Unreal Tournament. So good.

Well I guess on Wii U you can have both control schemes.

I'm currently replaying it for like the fourth time and that's not factoring in replaying the odd mission for various treasure wall tasks, it's like an endless barrage of entertainment.
There's always something to work towards, still breaking open idols, still got to get me some more high quality weapon variety and I could use a new sword right now.
The script still holds up and slaps the goofiest grin on my face.

The occasionally berated on foot sections are simple yet great fun in my book, a few quirks with the dodge mechanic alongside the few platforms which you can walk off the edge (combine both for evading off the edge, grumble) is all I really have to complain about. The varying weapon types and the massive enemy lineup always keep things interesting. Boss battles in particular are always a treat, just a shame about how fast they cop it when not on the higher difficulties.

I'm torn between Claws and Palms as my favourite, I do love me some claws in like any game ever but the reliability of palms is always handy, disappointed by Arms, I feel they should pack more wallop.

My GOTY for sure, little else has come close.
Fabulous soundtrack on top of this, possibly my SOTY as well then.

The best part is the orchestrated Game Over music that fades into the 8-bit reaper theme.

I love this so much, except for the cauldron spilling my hearts and booting me onto a lower difficulty, it hurts my pride.

-funny and interesting script

That's what really surprised me. At first I couldn't even stand the sound of Pit's voice, but as the game went on it really grew on me. Loved some of the voice work - appropriately over the top I would call it.

VICI0US

120 hours played and I still have a lot to do in the game. crazy.

the amount of content is absurd, OST is phenomenal, multiplayer is a blast, single player is challenging and fun, script and dialogue are hilarious, weapon fusing/crafting is addicting, fantastic art direction and graphics, just all around one great game.

it's probably somewhere near 1 million sold WW at this point, though we'll likely have to wait for another nintendo quarterly report to get an exact figure.

my personal GOTY and the most fun I've had with any game in a long time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Really amazing game, and literally one of the best games Nintendo has ever produced. That it feels underappreciated and somewhat unnoticed is criminal.

I have zero problem with the primary control scheme, but do think it should have had CCP support for maximum access to all persons. No excuse should have been left on the table for people to use for avoiding the game. It also led to ridiculous "I can't play videogames" reviews like Jim Sterlings'.

Though I do think Uprising is the go-too game to point out when people bring up the tired line about how: Nintendo never makes "new" games, never makes new characters, new kinds of gameplay, whatever. That Pit stars isn't the point. He's pretty much an underground character, and the universe mapped out in Uprising is all new. A wealth of new characters, monsters, factions, and gods are created in the storyline. Add this to the design and mechanics being fresh and new, not like any game Nintendo has ever produced. Outside of Sin & Punishment, slightly.

I got this game on a deal for $10 a few months ago BEFORE I got a 3DS. I just picked up a system 2 weeks ago and my mind is blown by the quality and depth of this game. It's amazing!

zroid

Banned
For my money, one of the best games ever made, and a shoo-in for GOTY, at this point.

Glad you ended up enjoying it, OP!

I really need to get back to this. I made it through the 8th or 9th stage, but did not like how I had to sit up at my counter to play it properly with the stand and not be uncomfortable. The game itself is amazing, but it is an ergonomic nightmare.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Truly amazing game.
The fact that Nintendo are still sending out free weapons DLC for it on a daily basis just makes it better.

MYE

Best menu theme? oh it may well be, the standard version of the main theme is also top tier stuff and I guess that's also a menu theme.
Hey lets not stop there, how about the menus themselves? that's right, the game's so good even the menus are worth praise.

Sakurai Menu Design®

Brawl
various18_071112a-l.jpg

Uprising
Kid_Icarus_Uprising_Menu_01.jpg

Meteos
ixqz4.jpg

<3

The best part of Sakurai's menus are when you notice all the little things in the background whizzing around for no reason other than because it's a Sakurai menu and no corners are cut here.

also

Banned
I've gotten used to the air sections but I really wish you could play the ground sections with a Wiimote (using powers would be so much easier) and that the camera was pulled farther back.

Anyone who is going for 100% should use the Treasure Hunt Achievement Tracker. You have to replay stages way less times when you know all that you must do.

Fabrik

Banned
I think this will be in Neogaf's Top 5 games of the year, or at least Neogaf portable game of the year.

LeleSocho

Banned
Good game (not fantastic but good) on the wrong console, worst controls i've ever seen that totally ruin any fun that the game can give you.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Hades = Best New Villain of this Gen.

He's pretty much Nintendo's... Hades. From the Disney Hercules movie. Uh... You know what I mean.

This game is a good litmus test to see if a GOTY award list has any merit.

Right up there with Links Awakening as one of the best handheld games of all time.

Top Bottom