• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Jintor

Hades = Best New Villain of this Gen.

He's pretty much Nintendo's... Hades. From the Disney Hercules movie. Uh... You know what I mean.

It's a Pitt-y that I bet a lot of the bigger sites are going to forget Kid Icarus Uprising even exists : /

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It's a Pitt-y that I bet a lot of the bigger sites are going to forget Kid Icarus Uprising even exists : /

untitled-129u2uwq.gif

JazzmanZ

You and me both.

I think the game is up there with Super Mario galaxy and Orcarnia of time of one of the great Nintendo titles ever.

I hope they put Hades in SSB4, either as a character or a Adventure mode big bad.

One of the top contenders for my game of the year.

I feel for the people who couldn't get past the controls, but I eventually understood and mastered them.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I recently finished this game and had a fantastic time with it. My only problem with it was not so much the controls but that there were a few sections of the game that were not well designed considering the control scheme(e.g narrow walk ways with edges you can fall off).

Great voice acting, some amazing action and, of course, more boss battles than you can poke a stick at (yay!).

One of the best games of 2012. The action, music, and humor in it is so wonderful. You HAVE to own this game if you have/are getting a 3DS.

Sadist

Oh man, I guess I'm not the only one who thought Kid Icarus was that good.

Top 3 material for me :) Replayed it a few weeks ago and it's so much fun. And seriously, it has has one of the best Nintendo villains in years. :D

StAidan

This was my GOTY by a country mile. There was simply nothing about it to improve upon. Best game on the 3DS.

Ragus

Banned
Heh, I remember that people were afraid, that this ma only be a decent game. I posted one time, that I just felt, that it will be a QUALITY title from Nintendo.

And then the OT happened. What was the percentage of positive feedback? Something like 99%?

Dr.Hadji

Playing through the game again. I think the on foot missions are better than the flying missions. Non-neutered weapons. Non-neutered perks. Enemies unique powers are better highlighted and their interactions more pronounced. More variation. With speed perks, levels (even the long ones) move by at a pretty brisk pace.

Jintor

I've been meaning to do a no-dialogue playthrough for flying segments because I hear the music is synced in this really wonderful way to the action.

mu-chan

Neo Member
My GOTY, too. One of my favorite games ever. I tear up thinking about how good it is, in fact. Sakurai is a god among men.

Why the hell aren't we listening to some kick-ass music?

Now, isn't that better? Also, best theme ever devoted to a dog.

I approve of any KI:U circle jerks happening in this thread. I also feel for people who are bothered by the control scheme - my fiancee couldn't play much of the game because it strained her wrists.

RPGCrazied

Still haven't got this, probably my next 3DS game, but Fire Emblem is around the corner too. How come these games never get price drops?

vareon

Just got this a week ago and it's AMAZING. It drains my 3DS battery faster than any other thing now.

I'm about to start chapter 11. Everything is so good right now, and there's still a lot to do. My average cleared intensity is 5 and I intend to improve that. Story-wise I think it's the most self-aware game this year and it's good, like a quality Disney movie good. The exchanges from Pit and Goddess of Troll Palutena (and sometimes even the boss) are fantastic. Voice acting is incredible, particularly
Hades.

I still can't decide what weapon is my favorite, though. I was using Burst Blade the last mission but kinda get bored with it. Maybe I'll try a palm.

Riposte

Playing through the game again. I think the on foot missions are better than the flying missions. Non-neutered weapons. Non-neutered perks. Enemies unique powers are better highlighted and their interactions more pronounced. More variation. With speed perks, levels (even the long ones) move by at a pretty brisk pace.

Well, yeah.

I also think air battles skews weapon balance in a bad way on the highest difficulty.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Love the game, hate the controls. Fighting with them every turn. Puts a lot of strain on my shoulders. Sucks, its usually fun =/

KarmaCow

I liked almost everything about it except actually playing it, though that's about 70% due to the 3DS itself than the game. Sakurai seems to go above and beyond when filling his games with content.

I've seen packs of cards for sale in shops in England, what are they for? Do they scan into the game?
Oh, and does the stand work with an XL?

Hero

Definitely a front-runner for GOTY. Despite being a handheld title it's pretty much packed with content, voice acting, beautiful graphics, music, achievements, etc. The story was actually really good and untypically Nintendo.

Don't like to do this too often but I wrote my review about this game shortly after it came out and I still stand by my praise today. http://allyoucangeek.net/index.php/blog/438-kid-icarus-uprising-review

If anything, I hope this means that Sakurai will make the single player mode in the next Smash Bros games more like Kid Icarus. Even if they only used him to break the 4th wall, I think it would be well worth it.

I hope we eventually see a Kid Icarus title for the Wii U even if it's a different type of game style.

KevinCow

Banned
Loved this game. It saddens me that it didn't sell a bunch. I hope we get a Wii U sequel...

Hell, I'd settle for a Wii U port, just so the game could get more exposure. Just having it on a console would do wonders, since so many people seem to just kinda ignore handhelds. Then you could add dual analog and Wiimote control options so people can't complain about the controls anymore.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Senator Soufflé;45144875 said:
Game is just filled with charm.

Pit singing

I want Pit to act like that in the next Smash.

Anthony Del Rio HAS to return as Pit in Smash 4, totally blows Brawl's Pit out of the water.

Smash Brothers needs a chatterbox in its roster.

Doorman

Wow, re-reading this thread really has me reminding myself of how much I enjoyed this game. I was thinking about my personal GOTY candidates a few days ago and the fact that I played this this year completely slipped my mind. Honestly it's probably the best franchise revival I've ever encountered, and even if Sakurai doesn't handle a new Kid Icarus game, I think that so much ground-work has been laid out here that I really hope Nintendo expands upon this to make KI one of their top-notch action properties. The soundtrack is also one of my favorites in this entire generation, and the delivery of the story and all of the voice acting was so good, and doubly surprising coming as a Nintendo game, which normally comes with a pretty spotty track record.

My only real regret with the game was my personal gripe against some of the powers you have to use in multiplayer. Stuff like Invisibility and Playing Dead always just felt kind of cheap to me.

For people struggling with the controls: The option that I actually wound up going with is one that I don't often see brought up, I actually took the old "thumb-shoe" strap off of my original DS and use that to control bottom-screen movements. It actually works out fairly well and lets you still maintain some balance of keeping some system weight on your right hand.

HyperHip

The more I play KI:U The more I realize how bad I wish there was an option to go straight to the ground sections. Still currently my favorite 3DS game and potential GOTY for me.

oatmeal

Banned
My favorite game on the 3DS.

That's because I traded it for Mario 3D Land...and that is actually a game I could enjoy.

So the $15 Best Buy deal netted me Mario 3D Land.

Thus. Best game ever.

Anteo

That's because I traded it for Mario 3D Land...and that is actually a game I could enjoy.

Thus. Best game ever.

Sometimes I'm glad I can get used to new control schemes really fast.
Liberation Maiden was great!

Darryl

Banned
very funny game, unique gameplay, packed with content, amazing multiplayer. about as good as a handheld game can get.

my only complaint is that i wish the air sections and ground sections were more divided up. the air sections are far superior to play on the go than the ground segments.

Thus. Best game ever.

i feel sorry for all the people whose hands could not adjust to the controls

zroid

Banned
my only complaint is that i wish the air sections and ground sections were more divided up. the air sections are far superior to play on the go than the ground segments.

True, sometimes I just wanted to play one or the other. Ah well.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
GOTY for me as well. The amount of content Sakurai managed to cram in is just astounding. Top notch story and gameplay, brilliant soundtrack, splendid voice acting, fantastic control scheme, the best replayability, dozens of options, hundreds of weapons, game is practically endless. A royal effort

OmegaZero

My personal Nintendo GOTY.
The music is amazing, the story was surprisingly awesome, the controls clicked immediately, and it offers so much to a gamer like me. Adjustable difficulty, great visuals, fun online modes, tons of content, sodamngood.jpg

That said, there should've been options for people who couldn't adjust to the stylus controls, so everyone could experience the awesome. There's no excuse.

I've never played a game that was so happy just to exist. So much of this game is just a pure joy to play and experience, and I say this as a left-hander who didn't use the CPPro.

Top Bottom