• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Lunar Silver Star Story Complete

1stStrike

Banned

I'm on a "games I meant to play but never did" kick as of late, and this is one of those games I regret never getting around to back in the day. I can distinctly recall being in high school when this game came out on PS1 and my good friend at the time was going bonkers over it. He brought in some large guide on the game and talked it up for a week straight. For some reason I never hopped on the Lunar train back then and I can't recall why. However, it's about time I rectified that! I've always heard that the characters and story in this game were phenomenal, albeit with lacking graphics/combat system, but that it's a "true classic". So, time to find out what all the hub bub is about.

I'm going into this game blind - no strategy guides, no prior knowledge of the story or anything in the game, so I'm looking forward to it.

As with my previous LTTP, I'll be streaming this on my twitch channel. Feel free to stop in for some nostalgia bombing or just to check out the game if you've never played it.

I know this has kind of been a cult classic here on GAF. Have any of you played the Saturn version as well as the PS1 version? I'm interested in hearing what you guys think about them and which you prefer.

Progress so far:

- Got past the first dungeon and to the next town. VOD here
- Past the magic academy and up to the island of the so-called Dragonmaster. VOD here
- Up to the tower of knowledge after rescuing everyone from the Vile Tribe. VOD here
- About to head to the Red Dragon cave in order to traverse the Red Dragon's trial. VOD here
- The final dragon trials have been completed. Alex is now the dragonmaster and after quite a turn of events the party is about to traverse to the Frontier in their new airship. VOD here
- Just past where The Grindery faces off against Vana in a magic showdown after chasing The Grindery back from The Frontier. VOD here
- Through the rest of the game and to the ending of this epic story! VOD here

antitrop

I never owned any Sega systems as a kid, so SSSC was my first introduction to Lunar when it first came out.

I loved it. I was really into anime back in the time (I think I was like 13 in the late 90s when the Complete edition was put out, back when Dragonball Z and Sailor Moon were all the rage for junior high kids), and I loved the characters, I loved the translation, I loved the music, loved everything (except the difficulty).

Has to be one of my favorite games of all time.

Been really wanting to replay this game again. Still have those awesome box sets with all the bonus stuff they came with. I haven't played them since they were released on PSX. I dunno how well they run on a PSP though, I think i'd prefer playing them that way

A title that always gets my attention when I see it, yet I never played. I'm seriously considering the iOS version.

Track down a copy of the ps1 version, you won't regret it.

Been really wanting to replay this game again. Still have those awesome box sets with all the bonus stuff they came with. I haven't played them since they were released on PSX. I dunno how well they run on a PSP though, I think i'd prefer playing them that way

Aren't they on Japanese psn? Should run ok I'd think.

btrboyev

Great altogether presentation and packaging from WD but the sega cd version of both Lunar games are superior in almost every way.

hitmon

Is the PSP version pretty much the same as the PSX version? Also one of those who wanted to play this, but never got a chance to.

Vice

A title that always gets my attention when I see it, yet I never played. I'm seriously considering the iOS version.

The IOS version isn't bad. The PS1 version is better but I think the ios version is tied for second with the Sega CD edition. I'm enjoying my playthrough.

Is the PSP version pretty much the same as the PSX version? Also one of those who wanted to play this, but never got a chance to.

New graphics, music, voice acting and story elements. It's one of the weaker versions of Silver Star.

terrisus

I've... Umm... Well, I've... I've only played through Lunar Legend for GBA... Yeah...
It was still fun, but, I feel like I was probably missing out on something.

I did get Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete last year though... I really should play through that version.

Nobody should start with anything but the playstation version. Victor Ireland did an incredible job with the localization.

You can get the game for abour $40 - $50 if you don't care about the extra trinkets and what not.

The PSP version is OK, but has a prologue that ruins a major element of the story.

The GBA and IOS versions should never be spoken of again.

antitrop

The characters really make the game.
They sure do...

gNPzg.jpg

hitmon

The IOS version isn't bad. The PS1 version is better but I think the ios version is tied for second with the Sega CD edition. I'm enjoying my playthrough.

New graphics, music, voice acting and story elements. It's one of the weaker versions of Silver Star.

But nothing was removed from the PSX version? I'm leaning toward PSP version since PSX version isn't available on the PSN store. Is the PSP version that bad? Thanks.

Vice

But nothing was removed from the PSX version? I'm leaning toward PSP version since PSX version isn't available on the PSN store. Is the PSP version that bad? Thanks.

Not that I noticed, just new additions. I didn't try to go after any side items though. It isn't bad it's just not as good as some of the other versions. I prefer the music and sprites from the PS1 version though. It's a fine introduction to the franchise if it's your only way to play.

Edit: The biggest difference is the translation. All versions will tell you the same story but the Working Design's translation is loved by a lot of fans. The Silver Star Harmony translation is a bit more straight.

Can't stand the new voice actors though.

Young Magus

I would like to know this as well. Have it on UMD and thinking about double diping for the vita. Is the psp version good enough or do I HAVE to get the psx version?

PS1 is totally the way to go for both. An argument can be made for the magic system in lunar 2 sega cd being more appealing though.

terrisus

By something you mean everything.

Well, yeah...

As I said, I did get Lunar: SSSC last year when I was getting a bunch of the PS1/PS2 games I had missed, but just haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. I really should do something about that...
LTTP, as it were.

Taruranto

WD is pretty infamous for adding pop cultures jokes and chancing part of the script they didn't like (image if every translator did it, brrr!), they get a free pass because of nostalgia, but unless you want Vic Ireland version of the game go with the xseed version.

antitrop

WD is pretty infamous for adding pop cultures jokes and chancing part of the script they didn't like (image if every translator did it, brrr!), they get a free pass because of nostalgia, but unless you want Vic Ireland version of the game go with the xseed version.
There is absolutely a specific mention of President Bill Clinton in Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete.

Aeana

There is absolutely a specific mention of President Bill Clinton in Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete.
No there isn't. It's in the Sega CD version, not the PSX version.

The fact that every time this comes up, people associate it with the wrong version of the game, makes it seem like they're just regurgitating internet stuff rather than it actually having any impact on their experience while playing.

EDIT: And for that matter, it's in Lunar 2, not Lunar 1.

urfe

Great game. I loved Lunar 2 even more.

Those big boxes (Lunar, Lunar 2, Arc the Lad) are still in a closet at my parent's house. I hope they're in good condition!

The fact that every time this comes up, people associate it with the wrong version of the game, makes it seem like they're just regurgitating internet stuff rather than it actually having any impact on their experience while playing.

There is mention of Courtney Love, right?

antitrop

EDIT: And for that matter, it's in Lunar 2, not Lunar 1.
I have been smited.

For the record, I like the Working Designs translation, as I stated in the first post.

1stStrike

Banned
The PSP version of Lunar is substantially easier than the PS1 Complete edition.

Gee, I hope so! I just got to the first town after getting through the dungeon with the white dragon. I totally forgot how hard RPG's were back in the day. Like, shit is a cake walk in comparison these days.

They're just like - hey, we should go here and there's no mini map, arrows, quest markers, or anything. Gotta actually pay attention and expect to get lost repeatedly trying to figure things out :p Not to mention I died at least half a dozen times in that first dungeon as the enemies kicked my ass. I had no healing items and was barely hanging on for dear life for a while there. I'm glad you have the option of avoiding (most) enemies in this game.

I'm having fun so far - music is great, I love Luna's singing, and while it's your normal "We're on an adventure" story (Grandia anyone?) I'm interested in what's going to happen to the characters. I like that one of the characters is a fat kid too - nice to get away from all the pretty boy characters in a game.

I'll be picking up where I left off tomorrow. Looking forward to getting to the main continent.

Foxix Von

I actually found this at a thrift store on the cheap for the Sega CD. I went to hell and back trying to get an affordable sega running again. Although I also own 2 on the PS1. I'm sort of unsure about whether to snag 2 for the sega CD or just grab 1 on the PS1. Or just stick to what I own.

What's the general consensus about which game is better for each system? I always see people in both camps.

antitrop

I actually found this at a thrift store on the cheap for the Sega CD. I went to hell and back trying to get an affordable sega running again. Although I also own 2 on the PS1. I'm sort of unsure about whether to snag 2 for the sega CD or just grab 1 on the PS1. Or just stick to what I own.

What's the general consensus about which game is better for each system? I always see people in both camps.
I've only played both Complete editions on PS1 for 1 and 2, but people seem to reeeeaaallly like the original Sega CD ones.

1stStrike

Banned

I've only played both Complete editions on PS1 for 1 and 2, but people seem to reeeeaaallly like the original Sega CD ones.

Based on what I've read, the PSX is the way to go (which is what I went with) simply because of more fleshed out characters/story. The story in sega cd also, apparently, differs greatly at one point in the game between the sega cd and PSX versions (at least for 1 - I don't know about the 2nd game). The music from the sega version is supposedly better than that of the PS1 version, though.

I'm sure someone that's played them all can chime in here.

Probably my favorite video game of all time. It has characters you really become attached to. At least I did. After I finished the game I actually missed them.

DonMigs85

It's been over 11 years since I played the PS1 game, but I did play through the PSP release back in 2010.
I might also replay Eternal Blue one day, but that game is loooong. I beat it way back in 2001.

Top Bottom