• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mario Odyssey is the worst 3D Mario

clarky

Gold Member
Sunshines the worst, easily. But i didn't get on with Odyssey either, I just kinda coasted through the whole game.

kubricks

Mario Odyssey may not have the tight challenges or well thought out scenario you get from previous games, but Mario's control in this game was some of the best and the overall presentation was excellent. The New Donk City festival, in combination with the "Jump up , Super Star!" song, was masterfully done.

How is this one of the best rated games ever?
Because people appreciate it's strength.

John Wick

I just finished this. I wanted to like Mario Odyssey, I really did guys, but I have to admit it,

it's the worst 3D Mario game.

Yes, even the bastard child of 3D Mario Sunshine is ultimately a better game.

Let's examine the reasons why.

- The moons are dumb. Way too many of them and way too easy to collect, quality over quantity
- The boss battles are piss easy
- The kingdoms are too small
- the ending is bad, Peach doesn't seem appreciative at all, didn't respect my time
- the game is just not very fun. You really expect that it would be but nope.

Yes, the water effects are some of the best in the series, but that's just not enough to stand above Mario Sunshine to me.

I paid full price for this and I just wanted to chuck my control on the ground.

You're driving me crazy Nintendo

hulk-hulk-out.gif
No it's not!
Mario Sunshine is a worse game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Five years on from release and Super Mario Odyssey has truly stood the test of time. This Nintendo Switch classic boasts an innovative central hook, boundary-pushing art direction and worlds that reward player curiosity. It's also packed with tiny but brilliant details, including countless references to Mario’s back catalogue and Nintendo’s heritage. Here are 172 of our favourites.

Ikutachi

Also, who the fuck is out here rating 3d land higher than 3d world? 3d land felt like the most by the numbers Mario game since NSMB2 and 3d world on the other hand has some of the most unique setpieces in the entire series and some of the most memorable levels. There is actually no reason to say 3d land is better than 3d world
3D Land is tailored for single player in its level design. 3D World is expansive with multiplayer in mind which waters down the single player experience.

Holammer

I tried the game very briefly via emulation and I disagree on principle, it's a well crafted game and sound mechanically like every other Mario game, even Sunshine.
It seems OP got something similar to the blues the older Pokemon fandom experiences now, where they want complex narratives and themes in the setting, it emasculates them as grownups to play a game that refuses to grow with the audience and remains laser focused on the 7-12 age group.

Just accept that Mario is all about being enjoyable by everyone, offering minimal friction and bosses are simple "do the thing three times" affairs.

Chronicle

Yup. It's trash. Got the switch for my daughter and have been wondering ever since what all the nintendo fuss is about. That game was horrible.

sigmaZ

I just finished this. I wanted to like Mario Odyssey, I really did guys, but I have to admit it,

it's the worst 3D Mario game.

Yes, even the bastard child of 3D Mario Sunshine is ultimately a better game.

Let's examine the reasons why.

- The moons are dumb. Way too many of them and way too easy to collect, quality over quantity
- The boss battles are piss easy
- The kingdoms are too small
- the ending is bad, Peach doesn't seem appreciative at all, didn't respect my time
- the game is just not very fun. You really expect that it would be but nope.

Yes, the water effects are some of the best in the series, but that's just not enough to stand above Mario Sunshine to me.

I paid full price for this and I just wanted to chuck my control on the ground.

You're driving me crazy Nintendo

hulk-hulk-out.gif
I enjoyed it, but it felt more akin to running through a funhouse or something. And I totally agree about the moons. I much prefer the classic stars like in Mario 64 with them being tied to more interesting challenges.

Kokoloko85

Nah, Galaxy 1 and 2 easily are the worst in my opinion. Was different to Mario 64 and Sunshine which I prefer. Galaxy 1 & 2 were not sequels to 64 and Sunshine, felt like completely different games.

I forced myself to finished Galaxy 1 beause everyone kept saying its amazing, just finish it. But after playing a few hours in Galaxy 2, I just couldnt do it anymore. Wagglin the wii remote and constantly upside down mario gravity levels and rocketing mario to another small mini planet was a drain on me. and platforming upside is just not fun

All the levels felt the same, looked the same and were too small for me. All i remember was rocketing to planet after planet after planet by shaking my wii mote and have to collect crap off the screen by aiming my controller…. No thanks. Lol if you think thats a sequel to Mario 64 or Sunshine. Its not.

Last edited:

digdug2

The biggest thing that killed Odyssey for me was how slow his sprint was. It felt like he was trying to run through quicksand.

3D? Mario 64. Then Sunshine.

The others are playable, though 3D Mario generally suffers from the same issues across games. Odyssey was the first attempt to modernize, so maybe the sequel will finally get it right.

Puscifer

Gold Member
Yup, 100% fact

Awful level design filled with cookie cutter calectathon overload

Most overrated Mario game ever made. Galaxy and 64 are substantially better

I mean Galaxy much less Galaxy 2 are two of the best Mario and Overall Games of all time, they'll always be compared.

Majukun

it's pretty much ther impression i got from videos and why i was not compelled to buy a switch just for it despite all the praise

i'm the kind of guy that thinks galaxy2 is infinitely superior to the original for mostly the same reasons

Thaedolus

Gold Member
fuck 3D world and everyone that liked that shit
Fuck you too, 3D World/Land are easily the best Mario games to come out in the last 10 years.

Odyssey is fine. I agree with all the criticisms about how many moons there are and the level design being unfocused, but it’s still a top notch Nintendo game. I just never felt much sense of progression compared to previous titles. Galaxy 1 and 2 remain GOAT

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Fuck you too, 3D World/Land are easily the best Mario games to come out in the last 10 years.

Odyssey is fine. I agree with all the criticisms about how many moons there are and the level design being unfocused, but it’s still a top notch Nintendo game. I just never felt much sense of progression compared to previous titles. Galaxy 1 and 2 remain GOAT
no fuck you XD

legit this game triggers me after all these years showing me how shit my wii u truly was.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
Game journalists love cute things so that they can spend the whole review talking about that instead of what matters… this is the recipe to score well.

Top Bottom