• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mario Odyssey is the worst 3D Mario

ZoukGalaxy

It's OK to be wrong.
serious finding nemo GIF

And, nope, it's Sunshine.

/thread

BlackTron

I had a big smile on my face while playing it, but since beating it I hardly ever went back to replay anything or even collect any of the (million) extracurricular moons.

Its arrangement and pacing of worlds/levels is a little weird. Its enemy-control mechanic is cool, but it's always a one-trick challenge specific to that spot.

It was cool how in older Mario games you got a power up like the leaf or fire flower and could experiment how it could be used in levels anywhere. They brought this back in 3D World.

Game play was great, Controls were great, Collectables were great (and easy).
My main issue with Odyssey was the way each game levels had one small central theme well constructed and the rest of the level was just kind of hodge podge placed (scattered) where ever with no care.
And Peach was never the endgame. That Rosalina is where its at.

Last edited:

Business

Not a lot of actual content and they have to spread it way too thin. Whatever is there in the bigger worlds is top quality, but ultimately there’s not enough Tostarenas and New Yorks. By the end of it the stupid moon grinding going through the same levels over and over again kinda soured me on the game.

Mozza

Super Mario Odyssey gets the best critic ratings for a reason, it's a very well crafted game that's fun to play, it improves on the aspects of the previous games and does them better, the Galaxy games are close but seem far too restrictive in size and scope of their levels to compete with Mario's latest 3-D outing. Nostalgia plays a massive part in all this, I got the Mario 3-D collection and those games although still good, are nowhere near the masterpieces they were back in the day.

SCB3

I always like to share this video about Mario Odyssey as I agreed with most of it

A fantastic game but not the best Mario game by far (personally 3D world is mine)

Marvel14

Banned
I agree...there is something about the level design and moon design that is just off. It feels unfocused and jarring like it is suffering from ADHD...but I liked the cappy mechanic and the nostalgia moments.

But OP is right. Moon collection becomes most unsatisfying where a ground pound nets you the same reward as a mini boss fight.

Those rabbit bosses are also as unappealing as the residents of Delfino.

Jsisto

Agree completely. After the initial excitement of playing a new Mario game wore off, I realized it was a total snoozefest.

LOL What on earth are you talking about.

And super-mega eye-roll on your last point about how the game wasn't worth the price. By far the largest amount of content ever in a 3D Mario, and all of high-quality... and then there's all the post-game stuff, which is a lot. And all the hidden challenge puzzles/ levels? C'mon, man. Did we even play the same game?

Not sure if most of your points are even supposed to be taken seriously.

64 and Sunshine are still my favorite 3D Marios, but Odyssey was the best since Sunshine, hands down. Galaxy 1/2 and 3D World were just way too linear. My dream 3D Mario is a full sequel to Sunshine, but I'm well aware that won't happen. Nintendo's too different now.

Last edited:

Fbh

It's definitely one of the most overrated games ever in terms of reviews.
But I still enjoyed it, I liked all the various worlds which I though were really fun to explore, and the cap mechanic is probably my favorite gimmick in any 3D Mario. But yeah there are way too many moons and I wish the game had more skill based platforming, would have loved to have more stuff like the Dark (or was it darker?) side of the moon level.

3D world for me is still the weakest. It's not bad but it's nothing special either, I found most levels boring in their presentation and design. Played through it with a friend but it took us months because we'd take long breaks from the game.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Mario has been barely above average for years now and peaked with Mario 64 but its like you aren't allowed to acknowledge that

it isn't a dramatic fall off like with Sonic but I wouldn't call any of the newer Mario games 'great' they are very competent and if you are already some type of huge Mario fan you'll be very happy with them

I'm very neutral on Mario so I'm very unbias when it comes to the series
Sunshine/Odyssey/3D World were the weaker games for me while Galaxy 1 and 2 I had more fun with

Robb

Gold Member
Nah it’s one of the best imo. I’d only put 64 and Galaxy above it. The transformation ability is one of the best gimmicks in the series imo.

Hoping we get a sequel with more kingdoms.

Scotty W

Gold Member
It is a fantastic game, absolutely incredible, but it is not as good as the others in the series. Sunshine is much worse.

Odyssey has, by far, the best controls and movement options of any 3D Mario, paired with the worst level designs. The aesthetics are all over the place and oftentimes don't seem to fit the Mario universe. This concept with traditional Mushroom Kingdom type environments (or maybe environments from other Nintendo franchises like Zelda, DK, Earthbound, AC, Metroid, etc) would be a 10/10. And a second, more difficult Luigi playthrough that unlocks after you beat it should be standard protocol by now.

Last edited:

Mozza

I always like to share this video about Mario Odyssey as I agreed with most of it

A fantastic game but not the best Mario game by far (personally 3D world is mine)

His opinion is just another, as are all the opinions about it being a great game.

Sojiro

I don't think its the best 3D mario game, but its damn fun, and not the worst. The only thing I agree with is there are too many moons, and a good number of them are just sitting there waiting to be collected without much effort. I enjoyed most of the worlds, and the hat mechanic is really fun. IMO even the worst mainline mario games are still extremely good games /shrug.

Doom85

- the ending is bad, Peach doesn't seem appreciative at all, didn't respect my time

I didn’t realize saving someone means they’re morally obligated to accept your abrupt marriage proposal. Seriously, I was more baffled that Mario thought THAT was an appropriate time to pop the question. I guess being a hero doesn’t make one necessarily adept at tact.

GeekyDad

Super Mario Odyssey gets the best critic ratings for a reason, it's a very well crafted game that's fun to play, it improves on the aspects of the previous games and does them better, the Galaxy games are close but seem far too restrictive in size and scope of their levels to compete with Mario's latest 3-D outing. Nostalgia plays a massive part in all this, I got the Mario 3-D collection and those games although still good, are nowhere near the masterpieces they were back in the day.
Sounds kinda like the description of many great blockbuster movies: Amazing when you've seen them for the first time in the theater, but don't necessarily become something you want to revisit years later due to out-dated special effects and such. And Nintendo have always offered those kind of experiences. Sure, there are some that never age, but they've always been the Disney of video games. And that's fine.

Went back to the LotR trilogy a couple of weeks ago. It still moves me, but the effects haven't aged well, nor has the Gimli/Legolas banter (which was always kind of annoying and not canonical). The memories of my original experience of it in the theaters, though, are great. I got my money's worth. Same with Sunshine, Galaxy, etc., etc.

Mozza

Sounds kinda like the description of many great blockbuster movies: Amazing when you've seen them for the first time in the theater, but don't necessarily become something you want to revisit years later due to out-dated special effects and such. And Nintendo have always offered those kind of experiences. Sure, there are some that never age, but they've always been the Disney of video games. And that's fine.

Went back to the LotR trilogy a couple of weeks ago. It still moves me, but the effects haven't aged well, nor has the Gimli/Legolas banter (which was always kind of annoying and not canonical). The memories of my original experience of it in the theaters, though, are great. I got my money's worth. Same with Sunshine, Galaxy, etc., etc.
And the same with older games as well, when they are released they are ground breaking, but as time moved on they lose some of their initial appeal.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Sunshine is infinitely worse. Odyssey stands above galaxy IMO. The massive amount of moons is something I have an issue with and I fucjing hate the possession mechanic but everything else is the best it's been since 64 sandbox wise.
Galaxy is too linear, sunshine is genuinely unfinished, galaxy 2 is a rehash, and 3d land is unoriginal
Tbh the only games better than Mario odyssey are 64 and 3d world + bowsers fury. It stands toe to toe with galaxy tho

Mozza

Mario Galaxy is the best 3D Mario
To be honest not surprised by this thread, Galaxy's biggest crime is it's sales success because it's on the Switch, Nintendo being successful rarely sits well with some on here. We know this game is good because of all it's review scores both critic and user, of course user reviews are only brought up when they are poor of course. And obviously these critic reviewers are not in peoples pockets or a blind Nintendo fanboy when they all gush over a triple AAA game like Elden ring for example. ;)

Last edited:

Jsisto

It’s almost as if different people can experience the same thing and come away with vastly difference opinions. Some of the people in this thread need to chill. It’s obvious that a lot of people agree with the OP, doesn’t have to damper others enjoyment of the game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also, who the fuck is out here rating 3d land higher than 3d world? 3d land felt like the most by the numbers Mario game since NSMB2 and 3d world on the other hand has some of the most unique setpieces in the entire series and some of the most memorable levels. There is actually no reason to say 3d land is better than 3d world

Marvel14

Banned
So many diverse takes in this thread! Mario Galaxy sucked,! Odyssey is a masterpiece! Mario 64 is the pinnacle! Odyssey is a rip off!

Odyssey was worth the price...there is enough content to justify the entertainment value. But that doesn't make the whole experience great.

Personally I think Bowsers Fury is pointing us towards an exciting future for Mario...

Last edited:
People talked like it was one of the best games ever made, I think it got my expectations too high. I thought it was really disappointing by "only" being an 8/10 game. I'd rate Sunshine below Odyssey, but all the others above it.

bobone

I 100% agree.
Its the only mainline Mario game I didn't complete. Played it for a few hours and it just didn't click like the rest.
Not sure what they did to my boy, but he didn't feel like Mario

SpiceRacz

The worst 3D Mario is still better than most games out there. And sure as hell better than any recent 3D platformers. I will say though, Odyssey is probably the most forgettable of the 3D Mario games for me.

I'd rate them:

Galaxy 2
Galaxy
3D World
Mario 64
Odyssey
Sunshine

its better than Mario 64 or Sunshine and probably 3D world. I would only put Galaxy above it. And thats a maybe. Galaxy's worlds were tiny as hell. And the moons are harder to find or figure out than the stars.

i never played galaxy 2. Also i didn't play Mario 64 when it came out. I played it on Wii virtual console. And i think it absolutely sucks

Trilobit

Sand Kingdom was gorgeous and I liked the changed gravity and the calmness of Moon Kingdom. The biggest disappointment was Ruined Kingdom. I'd want a much bigger map with that amazing atmosphere and dragon.

Vg1DgDY.jpg

Bragr

Banned
I think it's a great concept, they turned Mario into a platform-puzzler of sorts.

They give you easy moons early on so you always progress, you go from place to place constantly, always something new, it has fantastic progression throughout its campaign. People complain that it is easy, which it is, but that means nothing as long as the game is good.

It only starts to offer any real challenge when you go back and clear out the moons, where you have to think a bit to find them. But that is such a cool way to make a game, letting you fly through its content and increase the challenge in each given area based on how much time you spend in each area. It's smart and different.

The production values are fantastic, and it's polished to a sheen, it has perhaps the greatest 3D movement and move set of any game. It's a stunning and different sort of platformer. I love it. It might be a tad overrated, it score should probably be more of a 93 or 94 sort of thing, but a normal human enjoys Mario Odyssey.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
- The moons are dumb. Way too many of them and way too easy to collect, quality over quantity
- The boss battles are piss easy
- The kingdoms are too small
- the ending is bad, Peach doesn't seem appreciative at all, didn't respect my time
This is 100% true, I fully agree.
I still had a great time with this game.

Top Bottom