• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Mass Effect 1 and 2

mcjmetroid

Before I start please no spoilers for me for Mass Effect 3 or Andromeda. I'm aware 3 has a dodgy ending but I have no idea how bad it is. Never played these games before. Talk about anything with mass effect 1 and 2.

So enjoyed the fuck out of the first 2 games BUT I have to say Mass Effect 1 is better than people give it credit for.

Here is my thoughts on comparing them:

Mass effect 1 is a much shorter game than 2 but has better pacing and in my opinion the better story.

I think the second game took all the tactics of battle out of it in place of a third person shooter which is pretty well done.

I think 1 is much better at changing up the gameplay. The maiko tank in 1 is clunky at times but it broke up the gameplay in a good way. You also had missions where you had to spare people etc.

Some of the action in 2 can go on far too long.

I took a look at ultimate paragon and renegade endings. I got paragon but I watched renegade on YouTube.. Annd.. ah they're not muuuch different. So less impact on choices compared to 1?

Now where 2 gets it right:

Way better shooting mechanics to the point where it feels like a different game.

Very snappy gameplay and UI. Very short loading times (at least on Xbox one X)

Much longer game and for a third person shooter it managed to keep my attention for 35 hours. Very impressive for a game of this type.

Overall:
Yes I think 2 is the better game and I really enjoyed both but something was lost between 1 and 2.

Hoping 3 will blow my mind and Andromeda(going into that one with the lowest expectations)

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Doesn’t matter which is better EA showed it’s just a business to them... I got 2 ranked higher though (big crew gathering, interesting DLC (shadow broker), you have the super ending etc.) The magnitude of ME2 is far bigger than any other space game, BioWare game ever.

mcz117chief

I really enjoyed Mass Effect 1 and 2 back in the days. Especially the DLC for 2 is exceptionally well done. I personally prefer the 1st game by a lot, the music, story, characters, environments, sense of discovery are all better in the first game. Third game is imo really bad overall, with the ending being the only decent thing in retrospect, at least the one I got. The Citadel DLC is ok, the other DLCs are pretty meh. Multiplayer was by far the best thing about 3 and I have spent hundreds of hours on it, it was incredible then, it probably doesn't hold up at all but I have very fond memories of it.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I was never hype more than when this trailer droped:

I hold the trilogy close to my heart, however I hate the Andromeda shit, that game should not ever happened. What a trash.

Physiocrat

The story of the first game is much better. The second game has great character side quests but the overall plot is much weaker. I loved it when Sovereign spoke for the first time in the first game. I also prefer the aesthetic in the first. The second went more towards the horror end which isn't something I enjoy. The battle mechanics are though much better in the second game. It will be interesting to see how both are rated when the remasters come out. The first maybe regarded as the best

RAIDEN1

No other game got me hooked on the Xbox 360 like Mass Effect 2 did, Mass Effect 1 was ok, (aside from a game-breaking glitch I have mentioned here in the past...) but I traded that game in many years ago....all things considered I am looking forward to March 12th!!! (When the remastered trilogy arrives) Andromeda I don't count as cannon...its a car crash of a Mass Effect game, and would have been better off as a DLC...people complain about the Mass Effect 3 ending, but Andromeda's wasn't anything to write home about either....as well as the fact that it had the stupid case of once you defeated an enemy few minutes later they literally drop in from the sky for no apparent reason..

AJUMP23

ME1 has always been the better game and the better story by far. the twists and the turns, the amount of character building, all play into how amazing the game is. Every character is interesting and the way the game builds to the finale is spectacular. investigating a little thing becomes a world changing thing by the end.

Fbh

Love this franchise, it's such a shame it's owned by EA and we'll probably never get a good game in it again.
The upcoming remaster is one of the few remasters this gen I've been legitimately hyped for. Hopefully EA doesn't screw it up.

Both are great (3 is still pretty good IMO even with the shitty ending).
1 has more jank, worse visuals and the actual shooting isn't as good, but it has the better story and better RPG mechanics.
2 improves the shooting, has nicer visuals and while the actual main story isn't as good as 1, it does have a fantastic cast of characters with great personal quests.

Last edited:

Khyle

Neo Member
I think I enjoyed ME2 more than ME1. Both are awesome though, but the inventory management in 1 was a chore. It might not be as bad as I remember, but I would have probably replayed the trilogy at some point if not for that aspect of the game. I just can't be bothered lol. Mako wasn't a bad "mechanic", I agree on that. All in all I believe ME2 was streamlined in the best way possible. Better action and pacing as far as I remember.

Also, ME1's worldbuilding is awesome but the structure of the story itself in a lot of ways was pretty much a KOTOR remake (a well done one nonetheless, but not that original).

Last edited:

recursive

Love this franchise, it's such a shame it's owned by EA and we'll probably never get a good game in it again.
The upcoming remaster is one of the few remasters this gen I've been legitimately hyped for. Hopefully EA doesn't screw it up.

Both are great (3 is still pretty good IMO even with the shitty ending).
My concern is more with Bioware and their ability to make a decent follow up. I didn't mind andromeda. I played through it without the expectation it was a direct sequel to the trilogy. After Anthem though, yikes.

Kev Kev

me1 has a cool vibe, and it feels different, but me2 is a far better game and mch more solid in pretty much every way. it loses some of the vibe-yness, but i feel thats mostly because me1 is kind of jank to begin with. i love both games tho, and i liked the story in me3 but didnt care for much else. didnt even play andromeda bc i heard it was so terrible and me3 seemed to be going that way as well so...

Boss Mog

Hopefully you played 2 as Vanguard class OP. Playing Vanguard in 2 and 3 really elevates the gameplay to another, even higher level.

stn

I love ME1 even though it obviously has the least refined shooting gameplay out of the whole franchise. Both are amazing though and I actually really liked 3, too. Andromeda was the only one that I thought was okay and not great.

I was never hype more than when this trailer droped:

I hold the trilogy close to my heart, however I hate the Andromeda shit, that game should not ever happened. What a trash.

Andromeda has the best gameplay/combat of all the mass effect games.

Top Bottom