• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metal Max Series | Tanks? Yeah, we've got tanks.

Krammy

sLrXZZQ.png

Metal Max is a traditional JRPG series developed by Crea-Tech and known for it's vehicular combat, over-the-top enemies, catchy boss theme, and open world story progression. Set in the dystopian wasteland of the not-so-distant future, the series relies heavily on inspiration from George Miller's Mad Max films, employing a cast of interesting and bizarre characters to meet throughout your journey.

VI0a5ss.png
8h5sYcV.gif

While each game in the series is connected by it's world, every entry is an independent, standalone story, with some standard recurring characters and enemies.

EmPt8qw.png

The core gameplay of the Metal Max series remains similar between each release, with the player assembling a party for traditional turn based combat. Where Metal Max is able to carve itself out from other JRPG's is by adding vehicles into the mix, such as tanks and armoured motorcycles.

PVPFDzh.gif
ybkjI5V.gif

Throughout the game, you'll come across many vehicles, each with their own set of traits and proficiencies. An armoured tank may be able to have multiple heavy guns, but a modified ambulance can heal the party, despite it's lack of offensive capabilities. Vehicles are also given their own unique equipment, such as engines, cannons, and the chassis. Additionally, the weight of this equipment has to be managed so your vehicle won't become overburdened and immobile. Will you utilize more armour plating for a good defence, or go in guns blazing with a gigantic, heavy cannon?

DGHMkQ4.png

Another staple of the series is taking on the role of a hunter. Making your way across the wasteland, you'll find WANTED posters in each city with rewards offered for the takedown of numerous villains and monsters. These serve as the optional bosses in the game, and are used to develop the world and it's often subtle lore. Defeating these enemies is also great for earning large sums of money when you need it most, allowing you to rack up more cash in a single outing, instead of grinding on smaller enemies. At each hunter office, you'll also learn about the Weekly Target, timed events where defeating specific common monsters will earn you extra money if they're claimed within a certain timeframe. Ultimately, this feature is less important and only serves as an unexpected bonus when making your routine visits to these offices.

VwsZLYF.png
sLYfUsR.png

As you defeat more strong enemies, your name in the world will grow, and you'll soon find yourself going from a fledgling hunter who gets laughed out of the local bar, to seasoned veteran who is respected and actively talked about in each town.

VM9dYE6.png

The original Metal Max was released late into the Famicom's life cycle on May 24, 1991. It follows the adventure of a young boy who is disowned by his father for recklessly wanting to become a hunter. Metal Max saw a remake for the Super Famicom and released as Metal Max Returns on September 29, 1995.

PK5ePT7.gif
1QFlmto.gif

Metal Max 2 would follow-up the first game and was released for the Super Famicom on March 5, 1993. This time, you set out for revenge against the gang that brutally slaughtered your friends. It was later ported to the Game Boy Advance as Metal Max 2 Kai, but would see a true remake for the Nintendo DS as Metal Max 2 ReLoaded on December 8, 2011. New to this entry was the ability to choose a class, similar to Dragon Quest III, as well as the ability to recruit a dog to your team.

G71CoWx.gif
NZA2d0C.gif

Metal Max 3 was a long awaited follow-up to the previous game, and would be the first mainline entry to the series in nearly 20 years, releasing for the Nintendo DS on July 29, 2010. You take on the role of a young man trying to piece together his past after suffering from amnesia when he's revived from the brink of death. This game would also be the first time that character transformations were used.

qKIKjQE.gif
kjLOBmK.gif

Metal Max 4: Moonlight Diva is the game most people will recognize for it's ridiculous cover. It was released for the Nintendo 3DS on November 7, 2013 and follows the story of a boy trying to rescue his kidnapped sister and their foster father.

XUEbSaB.png
y193CDo.png

A spin-off series was also released under the Metal Saga moniker. For the most part, it's identical to the mainline series, but that's a can of worms for another day.

kzP3XCy.png

The vagabond guitarman, that's me
A roving bird, burdened with a guitar
Should you ever long to hear my song
Cross the desert and come here to me
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

Stalwart, dashing Rodriguez
Shocking, damn fine Rodriguez
My baggy boots are full of holes
Don't fall in love with me, baby
My fragmented heart is weeping

I'm the fast-drawing guitarman
I've kicked hunter asses from east to west
Look at me funny and I'll tear out your throat
Me and my fire-breathing guitar
Oh, Oh, Oh

Dremark

Banned
The games look pretty cool but I've never played any of them. It's kind of odd the series has never had a mainline entry localized, but looking at the release dates for the games and remakes they are all before RPGs had thier boom outside Japan or after the popularity for the genre seemed to have died off.

Bad timing suppose.

Yeah, that would be Metal Saga. There's actually 3 games in the Metal Saga series, but the PlayStation 2 release is the only one that made it to the West.

That's the one! I remember there was a cute red headed hunter who gave you tips early in the game and I was really bummed I couldn't recruit her

Krammy

The games look pretty cool but I've never played any of them. It's kind of odd the series has never had a mainline entry localized, but looking at the release dates for the games and remakes they are all before RPGs had thier boom outside Japan or after the popularity for the genre seemed to have died off.

Bad timing suppose.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking as well. North America did get one of the spinoff's with Metal Saga, but it went largely unnoticed, which I'm sure didn't help.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Thanks for this thread, I've always been interested in this series... sort of a Japanese take on the whole Fallout/Mad Max (leaning much more towards the latter since it doesn't seem to have that cheesy 50's americana of the former). The music from what I've heard is quite good, especially Metal Max 4.

I'd love to hear thoughts on Metal Saga, since I picked that up at launch and felt very few people talk about it. It looked real neat from the little I played, though I remember it suffering from some hefty load times on the original PS2.

Terra_Ex

Is Metal Saga worth playing? or the fan translation of the snes game better to play?
It's definitely worth playing, it felt quite unique to me at the time and nothing since has scratched that same itch. Customising your tanks and finding new wacky vehicles is its own reward and there are a whole host of crazy bosses to encounter. I recall there being a few premature joke endings that you can run into - it's the sort of game where only five minutes into the game you can tell your character's mother you want to quit adventuring and take over the family business and the game will give you an ending for your trouble. There are loads of hidden events tucked away in the world with varying unlock conditions that tell little stories within the wider world and piecing those together is pretty neat. I always felt it was a japanese take on Fallout but Wasteland is probably closer to the mark. Can't really think of anything more specific to say about it right now beyond OP's post and because it's been so long since I played it and I don't want to spoil the funnier parts, but I'd definitely recommend more people giving it a shot, it's one of those games where if it grabs you, you'll be hooked for quite some time.

Krammy

It's definitely worth playing, it felt quite unique to me at the time and nothing since has scratched that same itch. Customising your tanks and finding new wacky vehicles is its own reward and there are a whole host of crazy bosses to encounter. I recall there being a few premature joke endings that you can run into - it's the sort of game where only five minutes into the game you can tell your character's mother you want to quit adventuring and take over the family business and the game will give you an ending for your trouble. There are loads of hidden events tucked away in the world with varying unlock conditions that tell little stories within the wider world and piecing those together is pretty neat. I always felt it was a japanese take on Fallout but Wasteland is probably closer to the mark. Can't really think of anything more specific to say about it right now beyond OP's post and because it's been so long since I played it and I don't want to spoil the funnier parts, but I'd definitely recommend more people giving it a shot, it's one of those games where if it grabs you, you'll be hooked for quite some time.

This is pretty accurate to the mainline series as well.

I've never played Metal Saga, so I can't really speak on it, but I'd say you could start with either it or the translation of Metal Max Returns and have a good time. For the story, I'd recommend Metal Max Returns since it details how the world came to be as it is.

Krammy

Wanted to bump this real quick because I just found out there's a mainline mobile game called Metal Max Fireworks that released somewhat recently. It looked good from the images, with legacy bosses and stuff, but after watching the PV, it's actually kind of awful? Has anyone from JapanGAF played it?

Dex815

Just read this comment from this video:

I feel like a lot of the English-speaking viewers don't realize this is a combination of Decisive Battle from FF6 and Battle with the Wanted from Metal Max so... yeah, that second thing is part of it too.

And it's true, I thought the "Metal" in the name of the video stood for a "metal" interpretation of the Decisive Battle theme from FFVI.

Didn't know about this saga at all, looks neat. It didn't arrive to the west, right? :(

That boss theme is awesome.

Top Bottom