• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metro Exodus (2019)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
The key to getting into this series is being interested in it. Post apocalyptic Russia is very sexy and I'm very high on this series.
220px-Metro_2033_Game_Cover.jpg
220px-Metrolastlight.jpg
220px-Cover_Art_of_Metro_Exodus.png

Very scary, classic game, you are on the clock in this game (radiation), so it's imperative to keep searching for gas masks and air filters and not staying in one area too long, because you do know some gamers like to "Camp" in areas and all I know is you'll die with that playstyle so the clock management in this game isn't a bad thing.
latest

JXcwbR5vhoMLfKSikcwn-6-11.jpg

You'll see these scary mutants throughout the game and like I said, when ammo and air filters are so scarce everything is amplified.
Metro-Exodus-How-to-Scrap-Weapons-Clean-Guns.jpg

The gun customization is nothing over the top, clearly meant to be simple.
I'm taking Exodus as my game of the year for 2019, I'm not trying to diminish other games (Death Stranding, Sekiro etc.)
those games are bigger, blah blah blah but all I need is a clear story (Metro Exodus) and short game and that to me, leads to a good time.

8.0/10

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just started playing it recently with Game Pass on PC now that I have an RTX card. The controls feel kind of bad in general, but I've been really enjoying it once I got into the open world.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I've wanted to play the Metro games since the first one came out back in... what, 2009? Never gotten around to it. Still a good idea to start with 2033?

Sugarmonkey

I can't tell if this thread is an elaborate troll job or just ill advised sock sniffing, much like the mitakihateskojima thread. I mean "the key to getting into this series is being interested in it". I'm back to browsing NeoGaf after a long hiatus, and a lot of threads around here are pretty eyebrow raising. And by eyebrow raising I mean I am fucking dumber for having read them.

Last edited:

Vol5

Played and completed via GamePass. I thought it was incredible. I fully intend to buy it when it reaches Steam (which interestingly appears on Steams best sellers in Feb '19)

I enjoyed the game, it played very smoothly for the most part, and I always like a good dystopian future setting. The lighting and visuals were for the most part top-notch minus a heavy use of SSR which has it's shortcomings. My biggest gripe with this game was the NPC dialogue. Characters will start talking while you're speaking to someone else and the dialogue tends to go on ad nauseum. I suppose you can walk away mid-sentence, but I shouldn't want to in a narrative driven game like this. My other issue was the "boss fights"
specifically the bear. Part 1 you just walk past it and pull a rope. Part 2 you just stand outside the fence and he'll tard out letting you shoot him, then just walk to the center of the area to start the cutscene. It was an enormous letdown.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Played and completed Metro Exodus back when it launched almost a year ago and rated it a great 8.5/10 for me. My biggest negative and complaint was the silent protagonist despite Artyom talking in between chapters.

Also completed The Two Colonels. Good 7.0/10 in my opinion. Good story that covers one of the gaps in the main game but way too short. A few hours at most.

Now, im just waiting for when they announce the release date for Sam's Story which should be the much meatier and longer of the two expansions.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Played and completed Metro Exodus back when it launched almost a year ago and rated it a great 8.5/10 for me. My biggest negative and complaint was the silent protagonist despite Artyom talking in between chapters.

Also completed The Two Colonels. Good 7.0/10 in my opinion. Good story that covers one of the gaps in the main game but way too short. A few hours at most.

Now, im just waiting for when they announce the release date for Sam's Story which should be the much meatier and longer of the two expansions.

nice

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks for mentioning this. Artyom being silent makes no sense at all and is just awkward a lot of the time. Like, you'll get radio'd a question by someone and you just don't say anything. It's weird as hell.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for mentioning this. Artyom being silent makes no sense at all and is just awkward a lot of the time. Like, you'll get radio'd a question by someone and you just don't say anything. It's weird as hell.

Agreed. I'm not a fan of silent protagonists in general but having the main protagonist talk between chapters but not during gameplay simply makes no sense. 4A Games is most likely working on Metro 4 and im hoping they have Artyom talk throughout the game.

In general, I hate silent protagonists as it just kills any interaction with the antagonist and other characters. Metro is the only franchise I give leeway to in this regard because everything else is so damn good yet after Exodus, I want Artyom to fully talk in Metro 4. Exodus could have been a 9.0/10 but I decreased the score due to the silent protagonist and clunky gameplay.

Far Cry 5 was so disappointing due to the silent protagonist (and character creation). New Dawn was disappointing for the same reason and the RPG elements in gameplay. Skipped The Outer Worlds because im not playing a 50 or so hour RPG with a silent protagonist. I will also skip JRPG's for the same reason.

2020. Must give me voice acting in general and especially for the protagonist.

I just got to the desert portion and I am digging this game. Love all the little animations for tinkering, especially the backpack. Very immersive experience.

I_D

Exodus is the best STALKER game I've played since STALKER.

Like PREY, it's a damned shame more people don't know about it. It's definitely within the top-5 games of the year, if you like immersive gameplay.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I picked this up in the Epic store sale, Gold Edition with sale discount and £10 coupon, for only £14!

Really enjoyed it, at £14 it was worth every penny with still another DLC to come.

It was a choice between Metro or getting RDR2 for about £35, In the end I decided to go with this because I basically regard Rockstar as a bunch of arrogant cunts who treat their staff like dogshit so I go out of my way to avoid giving them any of my money.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Exodus is the best STALKER game I've played since STALKER.

Like PREY, it's a damned shame more people don't know about it. It's definitely within the top-5 games of the year, if you like immersive gameplay.

I put in a few more hours this morning and it is definitely giving me strong STALKER vibes. Really enjoying this now that the world has opened up.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I loved Last Light, but I put down Exodus when you met the lady in the high rise tower. Not very sure on the details. I just wasn’t digging it. I don’t know why I didn’t finish. Maybe someday.

u4ea

Still my favorite gameseries. Played through the first one at least 3 or 4 times. the seconds one at least 2 times. And I don't replay a lot of games.
The atmosphere is just fantastic and I love the gunplay.

I didn't like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. too much because that plays more like an alpha survival game. But I did like the atmosphere of it.
This is taking the best parts of S.TA.L.K.E.R. and taking the gunplay from games like F.E.A.R. and Crysis where your guns feel like actual guns, and not videogames guns. (If that makes sense.)

Siri

Banned
Exodus is an evolutionary game in the series. The semi-open world was thick with atmosphere - even more so than the incredible STALKER.

IMO, Exodus is the most under-rated game of 2019.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the Volga level and eager to see what comes next. Hasn't been a ton happening so far in regards to the story, but I love the atmosphere and the premise is really kind of fascinating.

mekes

I own the game, I bought it after seeing a YouTube video where it was praised for its design and good world building. I will probably try it out after I finish up with Days Gone. Hopefully 2 post apocalyptic games in a row won’t be overkill.

I just started playing it recently with Game Pass on PC now that I have an RTX card. The controls feel kind of bad in general, but I've been really enjoying it once I got into the open world.
This is how i feel coming from Modern Warfare where the weapons have a distinct 'kick' to them. Playing Exodus after abusing Modern Warfare for a few months now feels weird.

In fact playing any shooting game doesn't feel as good. I wish FPS games focus on gun physics more since that is what you'll be doing 90 percent of the time. Gun physics in most FPS games just feel off.

Atmospherically Metro games are one of the best. The world feels dystopian and I love the scavenging part.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I own the game, I bought it after seeing a YouTube video where it was praised for its design and good world building. I will probably try it out after I finish up with Days Gone. Hopefully 2 post apocalyptic games in a row won’t be overkill.
Exodus I dropped fairly quickly on my X after a few hours. Days Gone on my Pro however, I could not put down. I don't get a lot of time these days to play games so I have a habit of dropping things if it's not really good to me but Days Gone was addictive for the most part. Despite all it's issues it was still one of the best games I played in 2019. The game is not short and so I'm suspicious of the critical response it got, some of those reviews sounded like they had not completed the game at all.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Way worse than previous games, it's the same with books, first one is incredible and those other ones are trash.

As for game itself, unnecessary open world levels, which are not STALKER-good, they are just for some stupid side missions. Story pacing is way off, it feela like 100 hour game with boring filler.

Previous games are like thousand times better

Oh any those fucking LOADINGs....

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Way worse than previous games, it's the same with books, first one is incredible and those other ones are trash.

As for game itself, unnecessary open world levels, which are not STALKER-good, they are just for some stupid side missions. Story pacing is way off, it feela like 100 hour game with boring filler.

Previous games are like thousand times better

Oh any those fucking LOADINGs....
My time was spent on the main missions, side missions invest so much in hours, and the loading screens on paper are your typical "tips" screens assuming anyone actually reads those.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
My time was spent on the main missions, side missions invest so much in hours, and the loading screens on paper are your typical "tips" screens assuming anyone actually reads those.
I meant, how long those loadings were, at least on X1X...

D-Dude

I really liked Exodus, enjoyed the dlc and looking forward to the next one. Though I missed the claustrophobic areas, I liked what they did the semi-open world. Playing it now and then with mods, and on PC this is a beauty. Played it on PS4 as wel but the loading times were painfully to much for me. (base)

nemiroff

Gold Member
I really wanted to enjoy Exodus but I ended up bored out of my mind. The game feels outdated and almost clumsy at times. I will continue to support the developer in the future though, because I do appreciate what they are trying to do.

I have to say, to make the main character silent was crazy weird.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Just ordered Metro Exodus now. I’ll have it Wednesday

I hope I don’t hate it. Such controversy over the controls/gun/shooting

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Working my way through the desert area and this game just keeps getting better if you ask me. Really, really enjoying it and love where the story is going.

Also, no one warned me there would be a spider level in the dark... got some heavy Alien Isolation vibes from that part. Great sense of tension.

Played this thru PC Game Pass (the gift that keeps on giving) and liked it a lot. I don’t like it enough to play thru a second time, at least not until I upgrade my PC (would be cool going back and running it maxed at 4k at some point) but I dug it.

great characters and writing, great encounters, decent gunplay

Mossybrew

I also recently picked this up on sale - haven't played the first two games so I have no comparison there. But I'm really digging Exodus, just started the area past the desert. So far the game has a good pace and variety of environments, I like the variety between exploring the world and the more linear-focused story missions and "dungeons". The combat feels good. Yeah the game can be a bit too talky at times, but I've kinda gotten used to it at this point. And I've hit some weird difficulty spikes like at the end of the Baron's story that armored dude just shredded me, you can die really quick.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
So why the hate for Exodus?

it got an 80average at Metacritic from pro reviewers but only a 68 average from people like us!

Working my way through the desert area and this game just keeps getting better if you ask me. Really, really enjoying it and love where the story is going.

Also, no one warned me there would be a spider level in the dark... got some heavy Alien Isolation vibes from that part. Great sense of tension.
That part was pretty tough too. My mask was broken and I was getting low on everything by the end of the sequence. After I escape I all the sudden remember you can use explosive rounds. I'm an idiot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That part was pretty tough too. My mask was broken and I was getting low on everything by the end of the sequence. After I escape I all the sudden remember you can use explosive rounds. I'm an idiot.

I hadn't used that air pump gun at all, but I gave it a try early on after I noticed conventional bullets not doing much and I'm glad I did! The flame shots are 1-hit kills against those fuckers.

Your flashlight kills them too if you just hold the light on them long enough. Can be tough when they're surrounding you though.
yeah that was my technique, you and one shot or melee when theyre upside down. Pretty fun spinning around keeping the light on them. Maybe it was for the best because if I could just flame round one shot I wouldn't have had the same crazy experience.

Still my favorite gameseries. Played through the first one at least 3 or 4 times. the seconds one at least 2 times. And I don't replay a lot of games.
The atmosphere is just fantastic and I love the gunplay.

I didn't like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. too much because that plays more like an alpha survival game. But I did like the atmosphere of it.
This is taking the best parts of S.TA.L.K.E.R. and taking the gunplay from games like F.E.A.R. and Crysis where your guns feel like actual guns, and not videogames guns. (If that makes sense.)

I can't presume how much experience you have with the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R.'s gunplay is based on gear progression, sort of like an RPG, but instead of leveling up and assigning stats, you find better gear as you progress through the game. It's not F.E.A.R., or Crysis or CoD or anything you've played before. There are a number of underlying mechanics that influence the gunplay for which you need to adjust, keep in check and learn to take advantage. In Shadow of Chernobyl early guns and sawn-offs are inaccurate garbage with a significant limit to their range because that's how it's designed to be, you're weak in the beginning and you're going to die, but unfortunately because of how horribly bad the starting tutorial is, it can be rough. Even early rifles aren't that good. The game is roughly 30 hours in length, as you find better weapons/better ammo, accuracy and damage are not an issue.

I can understand why people may not enjoy it, but it's good to be aware of the design that went behind what is there. Anyway, these issues don't really matter in S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Anomaly because you can customize everything about its difficulty, including certain aspects of the gunplay.

METRO series felt like a scripted theme park of a bunch of areas inspired by the Zone from the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, to be honest. And Exodus was probably my least favorite.

Eiknarf

Banned
Wow
Giving this disc a spin now, and my first impression is, “Holy shit! It’s great looking!”

The graphics are beautiful!

is this one of the best looking games of late!?!

Mossybrew

Yeah Im in The Taiga region and this game has some fantastic artistry put into the environments, with different feels for time of day as well. I find myself taking frequent screens in photo mode. Sound design is on point too, the sound of this customized revolver echoing back in these open spaces may be one of the most satisfying gun sfx ever. Starting to really think this game didnt get the appreciation it deserves.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Metro Exodus was probably my 2019 GOTY. I really really enjoyed it. It took everything I loved about the series and just pushed it to the next level.

Even gameplay and atmosphere/immersion aside, it was a stunning looking game. I thought it was the best looking game released last year.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Im in The Taiga region and this game has some fantastic artistry put into the environments, with different feels for time of day as well. I find myself taking frequent screens in photo mode. Sound design is on point too, the sound of this customized revolver echoing back in these open spaces may be one of the most satisfying gun sfx ever. Starting to really think this game didnt get the appreciation it deserves.

Wow, you're weren't kidding about the Taiga region. I just got to this area and it looks incredible.

Mossybrew

Damn, finished the game today. Very satisfying though I wish it had been longer, which is the mark of a great game. Definitely belongs on any reputable top ten of '19 list.

Top Bottom