• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Metro Redux

Late Flag

I've been going through a bit of dry spell while waiting around for Dark Souls 3, so I decided to do a little browsing to see if I could find something cheap to fill some time with. There were a few good options out there -- almost pulled the trigger on Alien Isolation -- but Amazon had Metro Redux for < $17 so I decided to go that route instead. Two complete games for $8-ish each; should be easy to get my money's worth.

I was a PS3- only guy last gen and I'm currently a PS4-only guy. No PC, no Xbox. As a result, I was really only peripherally aware of this franchise. Never bothered with Last Light since I missed 2033, and didn't bother with Redux on PS3 because there were so many other games to play. Also, I am not a big fan of the FPS genre. Not that I hate it or anything. I've sunk hundreds of hours into BF:BC2 and BF4, but 99.99% of that time is multiplayer. Never finished the BC2 campaign and never even touched the BF4 campaign. Dedicated single-player FPS titles have almost always fallen into the so-so range for me: e.g. Wolfenstein, Far Cry, etc. I'd have to go all the way back to Doom for the last one I really sank my teeth into. That said, I knew that both Metro titles were well-received and had a solid following, so I figured why not.

What a great decision. I've played through 2033 twice for the platinum, and I'm currently nearing the end of my first run through Last Light, and these have both been sensational games. The world of the metro is just dripping with atmosphere. I've lost track of the number of spots where I've just stopped and looked around to admire the lighting and water effects. The sheer look and feel of this world makes it hard for me to believe that these are remasters of last-gen games. Great eye candy.

The gameplay though has been the biggest surprise for me. Obviously there are lots of spots that demand combat, but it's almost never "walk down this corridor and shoot those guys over there." You're given lots of options for how to approach most areas. Stealth in particular is often the best option. On Ranger mode, I found that quite a few areas really demanded stealth as I don't have enough health or skill to expect to win a straight-up gunfight. While I was expecting something more like a conventional shooter, what Metro actually is is something kind of like Dishonored, only without the magic. Lots of decent-sized "rooms" that you can approach as you see fit.

One fixture that I want to particularly call out is the "filter" mechanic. I expected to hate this, and to explain why, I need to reference one of my all-time least favorite missions in a game, at least in recent memory: the Himalayas mission in Far Cry 4. In that mission, you get sent to a high-altitude mountain. To survive, you have to constantly race to oxygen tanks, or plunder oxygen from downed enemies. You're a very tight timer, so the whole thing feels like a race against time. I hate this sort of thing for two reasons. First, I like taking my time, exploring, and scoping things out before engaging enemies. That's largely what Far Cry is all about. So when I get thrown into a mission where I have to move frantically, that's not the game I signed on for. Second, that mechanic makes no narrative sense at all. If I'm travelling to the Himalayas, why the hell didn't I bring oxygen in the first place? This whole thing smacks of gaminess and changing up the gameplay just 'cause.

There are lots of places in Metro -- the surface, low-lying areas in the metro with toxic gas -- where you have to wear a gas mask to survive, and you frequently need to scavenge for replacement filters to survive. However, Metro implements this so much better than Far Cry did. Obviously, this mechanic completely fits the narrative of the game. It makes total sense that you would need a mask to survive in certain environments in a nuclear wasteland, and it makes sense that filters would be scarce. Also, while the "filter timer" moves you along and gives you a mild sense of urgency, players like me who like to look around and explore every nook and cranny can acquire so many excess filers that I never felt unduly pressured when I had to venture to the surface of Moscow. Basically, whereas Far Cry punished me for wanting to take my time, I felt that Metro rewarded me for having been a good scavenger early on. Which is as it should be in this game world. The developers did a fantastic job implementing this "on a timer" system in a manner that added just the right change of pace without being overly intrusive.

There are some minor things to complain about here. The opaque control scheme, the way mutants annoyingly dodge shotgun blasts and hit me 2-3 times before I can re-target them (probably user error), and a few annoying bullet-sponge enemies in Last Light. But overall I'm really glad I picked this bundle up. It's been a pleasant surprise.

The most underrated remaster this gen, IMO. I played and got all 2000 achievement pts on Xbox One. Would definitely play again. Amazing series.

These games are great and I highly reccomend anyone who didn't play them last gen to pick this up. I loved Metro 2033 when I played it on 360. I picked up Redux for PS4 because I never played Last Light and it was just as solid, I'm not sure which one I like best. Last Light defnitely seemed more actiony, but not to the point of ruining atmosphere. The first definitely seemed more desolate and hopeless though.

It's kind of sad how many people wrote theses games off while thinking they were just run of the mill FPS. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Incredible work on these remaster too. Especially Metro 2033, that game already looked next gen when it released but they still went in and tried to make it more consistent with Last Light.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Played halfway through a Ranger/Hardcore run of Metro 2033 on 360 and stopped when the PS4 version was announced. Been meaning to actually play these two myself as I loved what I experienced. One day...

This was one of the first three games I got after buying my PS4. I played through the first game and loved it, the atmosphere, story, gameplay - everything just felt great. Still need to play Last Light, from what I've read the general consensus is that the second game is a bit better than the first one, is this correct?

Metro 2033 is right up there with Half-Life 2 for me. A thinking man's shooter. Last light started out with a bang but I don't know if it was the jankiness of the PS4 version (played 2033 on pc), but it just wasn't as fun or as intense. The last 1/3rd of the game really lacked polish when compared to the rest of the game.

Most of 2033 was a tense experience especially when going up to the surface. Last Light had only a few moments like that.

Both are still superb games and I'd choose them over any western made shooter.

Ledhead

I'm glad you liked them as much as I did OP! Being a fan of the books, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, as well as the greater genre of Russian post-apocalyptic, these games were right up my alley. Played both on xbox 360, and picked up the remaster when it released. The sheer number of improvements and polishing across the board are an example of what remasters should be.

Courage

Both are great games. 2033 was more atmospheric while Last Light improved on the gunplay. I hope they make a third.

The world of the metro is just dripping with atmosphere. I've lost track of the number of spots where I've just stopped and looked around to admire the lighting and water effects.

This.

Coincidentally, I just started 2033 for the first time today and so far I completely agree with OP. I wholly anticipated a by-the-numbers shooter, and I'm glad I couldn't have been more wrong. This game is deep as hell, and one of the most immersive atmospheres I've ever experienced.

Redux is one of the greatest collections ever and anyone who doesn't own them yet should buy them. Fantastically atmospheric, tense games.

Shredderi

4A games are at the top of their game with these. No one seems to do atmospheric single player FPS quite like they do. I do want something new from them but I know I would be really excited for a third Metro game. That is, if it's not open world. Well I don't know, the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games are really atmospheric and are a lot more open but I enjoy the current style and pacing of the metro games.

Excellent games and Redux is the best way to play them. Bought it on PS4 in January after a severe case of open-world fatigue.

They look great, the story is interesting, and the atmosphere is top notch. If your interested in ~20 hours of a great single player fps, Metro Redux is for you.

JBwB

Very underrated games, amazing presentation.
I particularly loved the unique game play mechanics (gas masks, filters, charging flashlight battery etc.) as they really kept you immersed into the game.

I'm currently replaying the series now, already beat 2033 and now halfway through Last Light.

lazyguy

SO I've been meaning to check out the games and people keep saying Redux is amazing. Does it change or add anything other than the fps, resolution, etc.? Did they change mechanics or level design or something?

The stealth gameplay was great, and on the higher difficulty settings I had to really keep an eye on my filters and ammo. Underrated games imo.

me too, any indication for 3rd?

I would imagine it's pretty inevitable considering there have been two so far and they were popular enough to warrant a remaster.

I really wish 4A Games were seeing the same surge in popularity that the CDProjekt guys are currently. Both of those companies dared to be different and made some spectacular stuff because of it.

Alpende

Played 2033 on 360, played it again on PS4 and still loved it. Last Light was great too, I just love the atmosphere in those games.

Really hope a new one is being made.

GrayChild

My favorite FPS series next to Half-Life. I urge everyone to get the remasters, as single player driven shooters do not get better than this. Not nowadays, anyway.

Wensih

I found them to be average experiences, last light more so than 2033. It was interesting to see how life has adapted to living in the metro, the outcropping of various factions and continual war that destroyed the planet beginning to surface with the dark ones, but it became repetitive far before the end. Rinse and repeat structure. The use of air filters meant I never wanted to take in the natural beauty above ground because I wanted to reach safety. Neat, somewhat heavy handed narrative experience about man being the real monster that took a lot of influence from half-life. I guess the main take away was how influential half-life has been on FPS.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Need to get back to it. I got a decent ways through the librarians in 2033, then got irritated and shelved it. Those guys were no fun. Takes too long to stare 'em down.

SO I've been meaning to check out the games and people keep saying Redux is amazing. Does it change or add anything other than the fps, resolution, etc.? Did they change mechanics or level design or something?

As far as I know they basically rebuild the complete first game using their new engine (the same they used for Last Light). Some of the levels have been combined to longer levels, so there are less loading screens.

I also highly recommend playing the game with russian dub/english sub. It's really immersive this way and I felt like I've been thrown into this dangerous, completely unfamiliar place. The only downside was, that some of the lines the npc's use when you walk through the small "towns" are missing subtitles, but you can still guess what they're saying by observation.

lazyguy

As far as I know they basically rebuild the complete first game using their new engine (the same they used for Last Light). Some of the levels have been combined to longer levels, so there are less loading screens.

I also highly recommend playing the game with russian dub/english sub. It's really immersive this way and I felt like I've been thrown into this dangerous, completely unfamiliar place. The only downside was, that some of the lines the npc's use when you walk through the small "towns" are missing subtitles, but you can still guess what they're saying by observation.

Ok got it thanks. Getting this somwhere in the future.

Great games that really did justice to the quality of the books. 2033 redux is the better of the two, story-wise, but they're both 2 of my favorite FPSs of this gen so far.

KiteGr

One of the best remasters I ever saw.
* 2 games.
* Greatly Improved graphics (not just textures).
* Improved gameplay.
* More gameplay options for a ballanced experience between games.
* Discounted price.
* Retail release.

It has everything!

Espada

Need to get back to it. I got a decent ways through the librarians in 2033, then got irritated and shelved it. Those guys were no fun. Takes too long to stare 'em down.

That whole chunk of 2033 is my least favorite part of the Metro series. I hated that part so much, I'm certain I'll never replay it ever again. It lasted too long against enemies that will one or two shot you on a whim.

But yeah, I was in a similar situation as Late Flag in that I was looking for something to play and picked up Redux for $15. Turned out it was an awesome decision as I played both back to back. Last Light is my favorite of the two, for a number of reasons.

Oh, LF, the shotgun issue is something that annoyed me. It won't be resolved until you get the
automatic shotgun[/i] later on. But once you do, the mutants charging in won't be a problem.

SRTtoZ

These are on my list as games to replay (the redux editions which I have not yet played) when I have free time and finish up my current backlog. Played 2033 a while ago and then followed it up with Last Light and enjoyed them to death. Love the atmosphere and immersion they built into the game. Come to think of it I bought the upgrade on PC and then bought it on PS4 during the holiday sale, I think I might go with PC this time with the XB1 elite controller.

Top Bottom