• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: MGS V - WTF is this?!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Loved this game but 5 new missions from chapter 2 should be added to chapter 1 and part 2 should not exist beyond that

Kamina

Golden Boy
Game was shit. Stop being delusional. Gameplay mechanics were awesome but everything else from story, coherence, locations were the purest form of shit.

DI-NE!!!!!
In what word is this a correct equasion: Gameplay awesome + Story bad = Game shit
If you are someone who favors story overall then i can understand that it wasn’t satisfying.
But if you value gameplay then the game is pretty good.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
In what word is this a correct equasion: Gameplay awesome + Story bad = Game shit
If you are someone who favors story overall then i can understand that it wasn’t satisfying.

I said gameplay mechanics. Not the entire gameplay. Those mechanics could not carry the game. The negatives surpassed the positives by a lot. And this is coming from someone who has 212 hours in the game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
A product of Konami and Kojima hate.
So it is incomplete.

Said that it delivery one of the best third-person gameplay ever cretared.

Said that I loved the prologue.

Last edited:

Nero_PR

Banned
MtZ9N.gif
Neogaf never changes. But I got to say this. Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain is the worst metal gear (story-wise) of the series.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
game was rad, story was rad.

most complainers never even saw the full story. 19% of Steam users ever saw the Truth ending.

the "It's unfinished" crap is mostly based on a reddit fake who said it would be 5 chapters. yet people are still mad because the game isn't finished to the specifications of some random redditor. the beginning/ending was all decided back before GZ ever came out. face it, the story is there, you just might not like it.

lol @ thinking the game was shit while playing 200+ hours 🧂

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
lol @ thinking the game was shit while playing 200+ hours 🧂

Yeah...

When someone tries to use their play time as validation of their negative opinion of a game, I always wonder: was that time actually spent playing the game or was it just running in the background?

Because if that time was actually spent playing the game and you think that little of it, then what in the actual fuck were you doing with your own time?!? Go play something you actually enjoy.

And if that time wasn't actually spent playing, then what in the actual fuck are you doing flashing those numbers around if they don't accurately represent your experience with the game?

Best case scenario? I guess some people just like to suffer.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Yeah...

When someone tries to use their play time as validation of their negative opinion of a game, I always wonder: was that time actually spent playing the game or was it just running in the background?

Because if that time was actually spent playing the game and you think that little of it, then what in the actual fuck were you doing with your own time?!? Go play something you actually enjoy.

And if that time wasn't actually spent playing, then what in the actual fuck are you doing flashing those numbers around if they don't accurately represent your experience with the game?

yes I was running in circles. Imagine someone playing a game for so many hours and hating it. Who the in fucking world has heard of that? At least have the decency to reply if you're going to stupidly criticize someones opinion. Man you fans are the absolute shit just like the game :)

PS: It clearly skipped your mind that the shit part was a fucking hyperbole.

Last edited:

Raven117

I will never understand the love for Kojima. Sure, I like metal gear. But it’s mostly jibberish nonsense when it comes to story. (Though gameplay is excellent)

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yeah...

I platinumed the Evil Within. I fucking loathe the Evil Within. Some times you got to finish what you started.

Roni

Gold Member
At least have the decency to reply if you're going to stupidly criticize someones opinion.
You're the one who stopped replying me. If you wanna be a part of the conversation, simply keep it going instead of giving me a thoughtful like ironically.

And the reason you weren't quoted is because you're not a special snowflake who has done it for the first time ever and I was talking in more general terms about everyone who does it.

I platinumed the Evil Within. I fucking loathe the Evil Within. Some times you got to finish what you started.

Yeah, I understand your point, but life's too short for that... I already have one too many things I'm obligated to do in my life, I won't add gaming (which I do for entertainment and pleasure) to that.

AlphaMale

I thiought MGS:V was great, as they all are. (though it's incomplete, as you'll see once you get near the end)

I don't recall the Prologue, to be honest. Keep playing and you'll see the game open up with Kojima goodness.

Rexenexus

Neo Member
Why anyone would start with the newest game in a long running story-heavy numbered franchise is beyond me. Play in fucking release order. No exceptions. It's that simple people.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
it's a good place to jump in. it's basically an origin story. all the elements are there. Kaz, Ocelot, a Metal Gear, Liquid, Psycho Mantis, female sniper, etc. just in a different form. it's classic MGS but with incredible controls.

I was absolutely amazed by this game, it just keeps getting deeper and deeper. It was my first MGS game ever, apparently it's garbage if your'e a fan of the franchise. But I was astonished in just what a masterpiece this game was, and I had overlooked it for a couple of years as well, and like you, the first couple of hours I was really put off, but still engaged and interested in it.

It's a 10/10 game

edit: just realized this thread is from 2016 wtf

Last edited:
The true definition of a fan boy
you are someone who favors story overall then i can understand that it wasn’t satisfying.
Gameplay was laking a good aim and mobility mechanics.
In your opinion.
Luckily many other people seem to disagree, given the ratings and popularity of the game.
You rely on gaming websites review score ? The game is popular because people where expecting a good MGS game, Many people disliked it aswell.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It's so much fun watching him squirm. It's like trying to fry an ant with a magnifying glass.

Sorry...Halloween is coming...getting into character.

ethomaz

Banned
In comparison of MGO2 - MGS4.
MSGV aim and mobility mechanics are miles ahead these what you find in MGS4... in fact even loving MGS4 gameplay it was flawed.

MGSV is the best Kojima could deliver in terms of gameplay... it reached close perfection.

PS. I never played MGO2.

Last edited:
Right. Sounds to me like you just got used to the way it was done in MGS4 and wasn't really willing to have anything different.
MSGV aim and mobility mechanics are miles ahead these what you find in MGS4... in fact even loving MGS4 gameplay it was flawed.

MGSV is the best Kojima could deliver in terms of gameplay... it reached close perfection.

PS. I never played MGO2.
Picked up a random video from Youtube just that you guys understand what i mean by that, try to watch more so you can get the pro mechanics, thx.

Roni

Gold Member
Picked up a random video from Youtube just that you guys understand what i mean by that, try to watch more so you can get the pro mechanics, thx.

All I see is an aiming reticule that barely leaves the center of the screen and only moves up. I don't see better gameplay, I see simpler gameplay.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

What I have to look at? The aim is simpler and flawed.
I'm not sure how to do you consider that better?

Last edited:
All I see is an aiming reticule that barely leaves the center of the screen and only moves up. I don't see better gameplay, I see simpler gameplay.
lol it's far from simpler gameplay, it's a pro gamer playing making it look easy, that's one of the reason they made an easier aim for MGSV.
What I have to look at? The aim is simpler and flawed.
I'm not sure how to do you consider that better?

i understand that either one of you guys experienced the online of MGS4 & MGSV so i get that you guys don't get it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Phenomenal game but is missing the soul of the series.
personally i disagree. Snake was always the last to know anything, just kind of reacting to the situation at hand, a soldier for hire, sent to do a job, but kept in the shadows. this applies to MGSV's Snake as well. if you look at his journey, it is quite comparable to the journey taken across the other entries. it even has melee battles with Liquid Snake.

all the old classic elements are there. Kaz and Ocelot as angel and devil on his shoulders, slowly turning him into the global villain. elements of US military gone rogue. spooky supernatural elements are there as always, and tied directly into the "custom designed soldier" theme. i really like how they show Psycho Mantis's origin here, how he is the product of Russian experiments. you have the usual WMDs as well, centering the whole plot. you had the Metal Gear, as well as the parasites themselves, manifested in the living WMD of Quiet. IMO the reason for her Quietness was quite profound, a symbol of mutually assured destruction, another main theme throughout the series.

the tone is different and more realistic, while at the same time, they still left in elements of fun. Rocket Punch is maybe the coolest weapon in any MGS game. FOB battles are super fun customizable endgame tests of skill. the level design across the game references the other MGS entries, with desert temples (MGS4), jungle territory (MGS3), offshore plants (MGS2) etc. this game is a lot more like the older ones than most recognize.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I never liked Kojima games' stories. Ever. Too pretentious, over-complicated and silly for my tastes.

Their gameplay is usually rock-solid, though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom