• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ninja Gaiden 3

3March

Banned
So I'm a pretty huge Ninja Gaiden fan. Well, since 2018, that is. I've played the 2004 version, Black, Sigma, II, Sigma 2, and Razor's Edge. I had the time of my life with all of them. But I had never actually played the original Ninja Gaiden 3. Because I heard that it was awful, and that I should stay the hell away from it, and that Razor's Edge was an absolute miracle. So against my better judgement, I decide to give it a run. Well, multiple runs, that is. Normal, hard, and Master Ninja.

2225568-box_ng3.png

So, how was it?

Let me make it crystal clear now: NG3 deserved every last particle of shit that it got. Seriously, it is terrible. I'm gonna rattle off the reasons that this game was trash.

The game chugs. Hard. Constant frame drops, and constant slowdown on normal. It wasn't like in Ninja Gaiden II, where the slowdown came from enemies rushing you from all directions, throwing explosives at your face. It's just terribly optimized.

You are stuck with 1 weapon the entire game. That is, unless you get the PAID DLC weapons, which is total bullshit for a Ninja Gaiden game. Not to mention, that said weapon cannot be upgraded, until the game feels like giving it to you. What the fuck?

Walking sequences are everywhere. Razor's Edge had a few walking sequences that were really annoying. However, there are so many more walking sections in this game. They somehow managed to fit in walking sequences in fights, where Ryu's arm hurts, and then you just instakill your way through a crowd of enemies. This is what Team Ninja actually used their creativity for: Putting walking sections in fights. Because that's exactly what an action game needs.

Steel on Bone is absolutely broken. This isn't the fun kind of broken like Guard-cancelling in Darksiders, which to that game's credit, allowed you to be more creative in combat. We're talking "Ruins the game" kind of broken. It triggers COMPLETELY randomly, and there's no limit like in Razor's Edge, so fights end up with you just mashing square or triangle, and combined with the zoomed in/shakey camera when doing those moves, I'll admit that it made me quite dizzy sometimes.

The difficulty is completely fucked. The game is in one of two states when it comes to the difficulty: One is so preposterously easy, you can crack open your laptop, put down your controller, and read some news article or whatever the hell you want while mashing square with your index finger. No, I mean it. Give it a try for yourself, and you'll see that it actually works. And another is so ludicrously cheap, and unfun, that it forces you to constantly repeat the same attack string. Some enemies are immune to Steel on Bone later on. Combine that with the lack of dismemberment, and the absolutely insane health of them, and that just loops neatly into the "Repeating attack strings" problem. The following video sums up the Master Ninja mode of this game quite nicely.

The game doesn't play by its own rules. Moves sometimes work against enemies, and sometimes, it does virtually nothing. Steel on Bone would sometimes work, and sometimes wouldn't. Sometimes you could use Ninpo, other times, you just couldn't use it for some reason. Sometimes, UT was disabled as well. This is probably one of the worst offenses that a game can do: Not play by it's own rules.

It's extremely glitchy. Constant freezes, infinite loading screens, crashes, hangups, dropped inputs, the works.

Even after all this, I'm pretty sure I haven't fully gone in depth as to everything wrong with Ninja Gaiden 3. I doubt I ever will, to be honest. To sum everything up, Ninja Gaiden 3 is fucking terrible, 1/10, stay the hell away.

Last edited:

SNYMA

Neo Member
I'm a fan of the series but this game was trash literally, I really wish that they go back to NGB days with its superior level design and the feel of adventure.

Graciaus

The only part of NG3 I enjoyed was the Ayane towel scene. I don't know how a game could completely fail in every way after two great games.

PsyEd

Between NG3 and NG3:RE....I preferred the original and it was better IMHO. It was pretty violent and made Ryu look like a Ninja version of Kratos who just can't stand guys with British accent! Where NG3:RE dialled down on the gore a lot(even on cut-scenes and the opening scene) and got rid of unnecessary QTE sections.

But yeah the game was not balanced well and for a Tecmo/Leftover Team Ninja game it seems it wasn't play tested/QA'ed well AT ALL. imho At times I couldn't even beat those hooded alchemy guys...but the bosses felt much easier?!? My fav one was the T-Rex boss...I wasn't expecting to fight that in a ninja game lol. And not gonna go to the story side....it just didn't make any sense to me. I say try to find NG3 and give it a go...it should be dirt cheap now.

Hotspurr

Banned
I still managed to enjoy it somehow but it was much worse than 1 and 2. They may revive it since they seem to have gotten their Mojo back with NiOh (though that game also had issues like being repetitive).

Last edited:

3March

Banned
The only part of NG3 I enjoyed was the Ayane towel scene. I don't know how a game could completely fail in every way after two great games.
That was in Razor's Edge. Not the original NG3.

Between NG3 and NG3:RE....I preferred the original and it was better IMHO. It was pretty violent and made Ryu look like a Ninja version of Kratos who just can't stand guys with British accent! Where NG3:RE dialled down on the gore a lot(even on cut-scenes and the opening scene) and got rid of unnecessary QTE sections.

But yeah the game was not balanced well and for a Tecmo/Leftover Team Ninja game it seems it wasn't play tested/QA'ed well AT ALL. imho At times I couldn't even beat those hooded alchemy guys...but the bosses felt much easier?!? My fav one was the T-Rex boss...I wasn't expecting to fight that in a ninja game lol. And not gonna go to the story side....it just didn't make any sense to me. I say try to find NG3 and give it a go...it should be dirt cheap now.
I did play NG3... That's what the whole thread is about? I ALSO played NG3RE.

Last edited:
I couldn't even finish the original Ninja Gaiden 3, I eventually finished Razor's Edge on normal and hard, and did a bunch of chapter challenge as Kasumi, since it was just a bad version of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, but I just hated everything about the original version. I honestly enjoyed Yaiba better than vanilla NG3, which is not a compliment to Yaiba. You know you're in for a bad time when even the main menu is a clusterfuck.

It's like Team Ninja played every popular Western game out at the time and just said "yes!"

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
It was a big disappointment after the first two games. I was forced to finish NG3 just for the sake of the name

3March

Banned
I couldn't even finish the original Ninja Gaiden 3, I eventually finished Razor's Edge on normal and hard, and did a bunch of chapter challenge as Kasumi, since it was just a bad version of Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, but I just hated everything about the original version. I honestly enjoyed Yaiba better than vanilla NG3, which is not a compliment to Yaiba. You know you're in for a bad time when even the main menu is a clusterfuck.

It's like Team Ninja played every popular Western game out at the time and just said "yes!"
While I haven't played Yaiba, it at least seems to have some style of its own, and doesn't take itself so seriously like Ninja Gaiden 3.

The director, Yosuke Hayashi admitted that the game was a massive fuck-up himself, and that he and Team Ninja got scared of games like Bayonetta, which was more accessible.

dilbag

NG3 was awful.... such a let down i ignored all the reviews and got it day one, black and 2 where so amazing I couldnt pass it up.

Razors Edge was a lot better but still even with the improvement was mediocre at best.... I just hope that some day we get a new NG game that is back to form.

radewagon

I enjoyed my time with it. It's a fine mediocre action title that had the poor luck of being compared with two of the best games ever made.

Poordevil

The game is in one of two states when it comes to the difficulty: One is so preposterously easy, you can crack open your laptop, put down your controller, and read some news article or whatever the hell you want while mashing square with your index finger. No, I mean it. Give it a try for yourself, and you'll see that it actually works.

Too funny! I actually LOLed.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Bought NG3 blind back then. I didn't think its a total failure, but then again, i never finished it either.
I hope NG4, if it ever comes, will take after NG/Black/Sigma again.

Sekiro and Nioh were able to scratch my Ninja/Samurai itches this year however.

I even bought the polished turd of Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's edge on the Wii U and still didn't feel like Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2.. Almost had a tear in my eye because how do you screw up such a great IP.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh...I actually just received the Famicom Ninja Gaiden III today (well, the JP version) and was surprised when I saw this. Definitely not the same ha ha!

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

3March

Banned
it's a huge step down after the first two
Not JUST a step down: It's also a absolute piece of trash on the level of Sonic '06, Duke Nukem Forever, and Colonial Marines.

I even bought the polished turd of Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's edge on the Wii U and still didn't feel like Ninja Gaiden 1 & 2.. Almost had a tear in my eye because how do you screw up such a great IP.
By getting scared of your competitors.

Top Bottom