• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Nintendo 3DS design flaw? Lower screen scratches upper screen!?

3DS-screen-scratches.jpg

Holy shit!

Run a search on da Google.. just now and I had no idea this was this widespread and as I only recently started hitting up NA 3DS thread here on GAF as I got mine at the beginning of the month.

So yeah, WTF Nintendo!? How the hell does this get past QA? Or maybe this is just a bad batch? I dunno, but i'm pretty disappointed to put it politely. I'm currently deployed and was crazy excited to get my hands on one only to find to discover this a couple days ago after owning for about a week. Mine is on it's way back to Amazon and i'm just gonna order another one. If it happens again? I dunno, I guess I'll hit Nintendo up and complain or something.

This happening to anyone else?

Sorry i'm LTTP on this one if dis is old news =/

Amir0x

Banned
Hm...heh, I just checked mine and there are some scratches that can reasonably be correlated with where the bottom screen go on the upper screen. Odd.

I suppose this is an issue specifically because it impacts the 3D. Scratches shatter the 3D illusion (much like everything else does, from moving the system one degree to the left or right to sneezing too hard) so that'd be an issue if you use 3D.

I don't use 3D so i never noticed it.

Amir0x said:
Hm...heh, I just checked mine and there are some scratches that can reasonably be correlated with where the bottom screen go on the upper screen. Odd.

I suppose this is an issue specifically because it impacts the 3D. Scratches shatter the 3D illusion (much like everything else does, from moving the system one degree to the left or right to sneezing too hard) so that'd be an issue if you use 3D.

I don't use 3D so i never noticed it

lol, it's not that it impacts da 3D, it's impacts the look of the whole fucking system!

It's poor (or rushed?) design!

Amir0x

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
lol, it's not that it impacts da 3D, it's impacts the look of the whole fucking system!

It's poor (or rushed?) design!

it does impact 3D, scratches or smudges ruin the illusion of 3D if it gets too severe.

[url=http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/goldensunds/news/6265250/nintendo-debuts-3ds-new-wii-zelda?mode=news]Iwata[/url] said:
[9:58] The game has a touch screen, but Iwata said smudges reduced the 3D effect. The two don't get along well, he said. So the top screen is 3D, but the bottom one is just a touch screen.

Otherwise, it's not a big issue to me. Comes with the territory... impossible to keep DS screens scratch free. Only time it annoyed me was when I had a huge circular scratch on my DS screen from doing that retarded circle move in Elite Beat Agents.

GLopez12

Neo Member
I think the point is that even if it didn't affect the 3D, this is ridiculously unacceptable for a system that costs $250. It's one thing to have scratches due to user errors, but having scratches pretty much built into the system is just stupid.

dazzgc

Banned
I have the same exact issue, a line on each side of the upper screen. However its not scratched and more or less a temporary mark which i can wipe off. I have installed a screen protector to the bottom screen but not the top.

[Nintex]

The same problem with the European 3DS I also was told by some retailers that they returned a bunch of black models because the hinges were fucked. One guy had his replaced 3 times before he had a properly working unit. Well... launch hardware problems I guess.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yep, this is what happens and it is a seriously bad design flaw. Luckily I picked up on grease marks being left by the rim of the bottom screen, and now carry a cloth in the system to prevent damage and to wipe the screen.

I'm pretty pissed off about it though. This is easily the worst manufacturing issue Nintendo has ever had, and I honestly didnt expect they'd let something as horrible as this go to production.

AgentOtaku said:
Holy shit!
This happening to anyone else?

Sorry i'm LTTP on this one if dis is old news =/

yes this happened to mine too on both sides. its the portruding border from the bottom screen that presses onto the top screen when the unit is closed. Definitely a design flaw, but I assume this happens with all 3DS's becuase all bottom screens have that portruding border. you could slice a lemon on that thing

Steroyd

Fuck, I just noticed it on mine and I only got it a few days ago. And I'm still waiting for my screen protector order. :(

Gomu Gomu

My sister's 3DS has these marks! They're super annoying. I thought they were there because of misuse or something. Didn't know they were from a design flaw. I was planning on buying my own really soon.... Now I think I'll wait a little longer.

miksar

That's a common problem. Definitely a design flaw, but mine upper screen is still fine, no scratches, just some marks that can be easily wiped off.

Instro

Thats pretty interesting. I always thought the screens being two different sizes was a bit dumb, particularly with that protruding edge.

So its actual scratches then, or just smudges? How noticeable are they?

Fusebox

Banned
Heavy's Sandvich said:
I just use the little foam thing that came with the 3ds.

Good idea. I'm considering returning mine and putting a microfibre cloth or something similar between the screens every time I close the new one.

Instro said:
So its actual scratches then, or just smudges? How noticeable are they?

Starts off as smudges but eventually becomes fine scratches. Mine are unnoticeable when I'm playing games but I expect the scratches to get progressively worse.

That's too bad. Very un-Nintendo it would seem, although their last few consoles have been far from perfect in terms of durability.

Still waiting for my 3DS Lite...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
checks my 3DS...arrrrrrrrrrgh, rubs the screen the marks have gone..for now, will get some screen protectors stat...to the Amazon!!!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is just fucking stupid.
Makes me feel good about holding out on getting one. Definitely waiting for the next revision now.

jackdoe said:
I guess 3DS screen protector manufacturers will make a killing then.

You see I got my upper screen protector (fcked up the first one) too late and the permanent damage was already done. Then, even when I did have the protector on, the shit was still digging into the screen!

Yagharek

First thing I did with my 3DS on launch day was apply screen protectors. Obviously this was before this was a known issue. Glad I did.

It's a stupid design flaw that shouldnt have slipped through QA.

Steroyd

SneakyStephan said:
15 years of clamshell design cellphones and handhelds and they manage to fuck up the design, SMH.

It's pretty damn shocking that the only design issue with the DS (the hinge) was damn well fixed and made virtually perfect with the DS lite and up, and then this...

JonStark said:
I can only get worse. Will Nintendo do something about it ?

Ahhhh, yellow screen and breaking shoulders.... good old times eh ?

Just call them up and demand a replacement or repair. Since it is a manufacturing/design issue, they have to replace it free of charge.

I've never seen a Nintendo console design as poorly tested as the 3DS. The Screen marks are simply not excusable. Not for a company like Nintendo, who's Handhelds are supposed to survive dogs chewing at them or surviving a house fire.

The sad thing is, that this seems to be a simple issue of the spacers at the edges of the top shell being too short. What a terrible oversight.

Wow, that's a pretty big QA thing to miss. I'm glad I know about this beforehand.

Still no games that I have to own yet, so I might hold out until the next revision. That may be difficult though... :/

Luigiv

Those aren't scratches, they're just grease markings. They come right off with an antistatic cloth and a touch of pressure.

Amir0x

Banned
Luigiv said:
Those aren't scratches, they're just grease markings. They come right off with an antistatic cloth and a touch of pressure.

nope, mine don't come off. They're exactly analogous to where the bottom screen meets the top as well.

Fusebox said:
I don't like using screen protectors, I'd prefer to try this guys fix:

http://3dsforums.com/nintendo-3ds-3/fix-top-screen-scratches-11150/

He uses tape to raise up the two rubber spacers on the top screen to stop the top screen touching the bottom borders.

Yeah, that works too. I'm currently in the process of making my own inlay for the 3ds.
But it is pathethic that Nintendo didn't catch this bullshit during testing. Given how I have yet to see a single 3DS unit that doesn't have marks or grease marks from the bottom screen, it is clear that this is a widespread problem.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Luigiv said:

They start as grease marks but will eventually damage the screen.

Luigiv

Amir0x said:
nope, mine don't come off. They're exactly analogous to where the bottom screen meets the top as well.
Mine do. You're probably just being to gentle with it. Just support the top half carefully and put some muscle into it and they should come out.

Big One

Banned
I've gotten marks on the top screen but I've been able to just clean them off personally. But seeing how this is a widespread problem I'll probably just stick something inside it to protect the screen when I close the damn thing.

Amir0x said:

I don't use 3D so i never noticed it.
Umm...
No offense here, but I guess you wouldn't really know because you've never tried the 3D effect.

Basically, I have a large-ish scratch on my 3D screen, and yes it sucks. But it doesn't really affect the 3D effect.

Im aware it's there, and it's annoying as hell, but its no worse than a scratch on a 2D screen.

In fact, I'd say it's slightly less noticeable than it would be on a 2D screen because when my eyes are focused on far away objects such as in Pilotwings, the scratch is no longer on the plane of my focus and kind of...blurs away.

Not making excuses for bad design of course. Just setting the record straight based on actual experience.

Top Bottom