• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Oblivion

Ok so I bought this game a while back, but it ran like shit on my 6600 and it seemed really boring at the time, kinda like Morrowind. It was just too open, and the insta-warp was really lame to me. Maybe I just spent too much time exploring every single one of those damn mines that you find everywhere for crappy randomized loot, but this time the game really synched with me.

Now that I'm playing with my 8800GT, everything runs great and looks awesome(or, I'm sure it does, I had trouble noticing the difference at first after beating Crysis lol). I made a badass Ghengis Khan as my character(Combat specialty w/heavy armor, athletics, acrobatics, blade, marksmanship, sneak, security, born under shadow), and the guard asked me if I was sure I wanted to be a mongolian :lol I wanted to take screenshots, but print screen isn't working and I was never able to take them in oblivion for some reason...

Anyway, now that I'm doing quests instead of spelunking(11 active quests lol), the game really works, because I have all kinds of options without being want for something to do or getting bored. I'm amember or the fighters guild, mages guild, thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood(if I kill someone for the DB do I get my thief license revoked?), my current play style is to do quests while simultaneously robbing everyone blind(using Moonshadow for stuff I really want, it's a free steal even when they're looking right at you!) I still don't like randomized loot, though, it takes out the (only) fun that I had in Morrowind, knowing I could sneak in and steal cool weapons really early on. I also enjoy long walks on the beach and picking flowers at sunset.

My favorite part so far is the Arena, by far. I love the feeling you get when you walk through the ramp up to the gate, it really feels like you're heading into an epic death match. The Blademaster rules as well, how much damn voiceacting is in this game? I loved planning out the fights, aiming an arrow at their head before the fight begins, firing once the gates have dropped then quickly switching to the sword and shield, jumping over their head when they charge at me, flipping around and slicing their neck while circling around to their left so they always hit my shield when the swing.
The slave trio was bullshit, they kept knocking me down and it was the only match where I got close to dying. I kind of feel bad for not finding out the half-blood prince's origins, what the hell was he, anyway? Now that I'm the Grand Champion, how come I can only come back once a week for a measly couple hundred gold? does this go anywhere? Oh, and I kinda killed my fan. whoops.
This place gave me more money then everywhere else combined.

Right now I'm having trouble with the first Mage quest at Anvil. I keep walking down the road to Kvatch, but I never get attacked or anything. I wound up just going into Kvatch and sealing the gate to Oblivion for some jewel, which is cool, I guess. I also found 3 of those nilbog roots or whatever, I need to find an alchemist for that crap. Oh, I almost forgot. I found a farm with some empty slave houses, and after I finished stealing all their crops, I broke in to the big house only to alert the residents, who are apparently invincibe. I don't know who gets knocked out by 12 arrows to the chest, but they must be important to the story or something.

Wow! I've done a lot of stuff in maybe 10 hours or so! And to think I've barely explored anything and only visited 3 or 4 towns and only broke into like 3 houses! And I don't even have the expansion packs. Oh crap there's story quests, lol I gotta find jauffre :lol

Nameless

I know Shivering Isles was supposed to be the last expansion with Bethesda moving on to Fallout, but I in the future I would love some sort of spin-off, expansion, or full fledged game based off The Dark Brotherhood. Their quest line in Oblivion was amazing, and the premise is bad ass.

As much as I've been disappointed with the game and as much as I've bitched about it, I'm replaying it again on the PS3 and I'm having a better time for whatever reason. I initially started it on the PS3 just to check out the graphical/performance differences between it and the 360 one, but now I'm doing stuff that I never bothered to do the first time around, like a lot of the quests around Skingrad, and I'm actually enjoying it. Can't really explain why exactly.

Nameless said:
I know Shivering Isles was supposed to be the last expansion with Bethesda moving on to Fallout, but I in the future I would love some sort of spin-off, expansion, or full fledged game based off The Dark Brotherhood. Their quest line in Oblivion was amazing, and the premise is bad ass.

Yeah except they're always Dark Mother this, Sithis that. And really, it's hard to feel comfortable knowing that the Predator is watching you sleep.
fuck your guild's rules, I stole that vampire's human blood, what's he gonna do now, huh punk?

By the way, power slamming a wolf and scooping the corpseover your left shoulder with you sword is really badass. The Black Arrow doesn't take shit from woodland creatures.

Gattsu25

Banned
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
As much as I've been disappointed with the game and as much as I've bitched about it, I'm replaying it again on the PS3 and I'm having a better time for whatever reason. I initially started it on the PS3 just to check out the graphical/performance differences between it and the 360 one, but now I'm doing stuff that I never bothered to do the first time around, like a lot of the quests around Skingrad, and I'm actually enjoying it. Can't really explain why exactly.
Appreciating the level of freedom the game offers. I find the game relaxing.

Oblivion was overrated IMHO. But I'm not really into Western RPG's, especially Bethesda's (I have no doubts that Fallout 3 will be a masterpiece): I do really like games by Bioware, though.

The gameplay was pretty boring and convoluted, and the story was dragged out. I don't know- I just didn't have much fun with it. I respect how much detail they put into the game, and yes, it was addictive. But fun? Only slightly.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bit off an odd question for those who own the 360 GOTY edition. Are the achievements in there the same as the ones on the regular edition?

Anyways, I've been meaning to play it one PC...but when I finally upgraded...I got Witcher also:lol

DeadGzuz

Banned
Oblivion would have been a great game without the lame leveling system. It penalizes you for using your skills. That and the dumb design to level all the mobs with you. Remember that cute bear on the road, it will know one shot you - welcome to level 20!

The Pc version has mods to fix these issues I hear.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I just reinstalled it a couple days ago. All I can say is MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS.

PC version is a must. Not only can the game look 10x better, but you can add huge amounts of content, you can change the leveling system to your liking, change the leveled list bullshit so you're not on a treadmill, add loads of creatures, completely change the dynamics of melee combat and magic and archery for the better, replace fast travel with the morrowind system, and really pretty much do whatever you can think of -- the mod community has been that comprehensive.

There's also an unofficial patch that addresses 1,100 bugs.

EviLore said:
I just reinstalled it a couple days ago. All I can say is MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS MODS.

PC version is a must. Not only can the game look 10x better, but you can add huge amounts of content, you can change the leveling system to your liking, change the leveled list bullshit so you're not on a treadmill, add loads of creatures, completely change the dynamics of melee combat and magic and archery for the better, replace fast travel with the morrowind system, and really pretty much do whatever you can think of -- the mod community has been that comprehensive.

yeah, that's why i managaed to play morrowind for so long, and one of my main reasons for getting oblivion.

@wotter: holy shit!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Graphics? Yeah, graphics. Huge texture packs, HDR + AA + AF at the same time, mesh and grass optimization for better framerates, weather effects, depth of field, LoD replacement, better faces and hair and bodies, etc. etc. etc. etc.

oblivionnew2.jpg

oblivionnew3.jpg

oblivionnew.jpg

DeadGzuz said:
Oblivion would have been a great game without the lame leveling system. It penalizes you for using your skills. That and the dumb design to level all the mobs with you. Remember that cute bear on the road, it will know one shot you - welcome to level 20!

The Pc version has mods to fix these issues I hear.

Why must we got through this in ever Oblivion thread? The topic has been beaten into the ground. The leveling system of the creatures has a few problems yes, but it also serves it's purpose quite well. Which is to say, it keeps the challenge throughout the game. It forces you to change up your tactics, learn, and adapt as you go, and unlike Morrowind, you can't become a god-like character in 30-45 minutes.

In the next version of the game, the system does need some tweaks to be sure, but for the most part it works fine. The people that I hear complaining about it are usually power gamers who just want to get their character up to a level where nothing can touch them, which conversely isn't fun to me. BTW, I never ran into an issue with a bear like the one you describe. While creatures do level as you do, they don't level nearly as fast, nor as high.

Overall, still one of my favorite games of the past few years though. A lot of fun, and the freedom to explore is still amazing.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why must we got through this in ever Oblivion thread? The topic has been beaten into the ground.

Boo hoo, the thread is about Oblivion and I stated my opinions which are valid. I'm no power gamers, the system was just lazy. Instead of the developers having to tweak the game world for various levels they just leveled everything with you, lame.

WTF kind of a system makes you put your combat or magic skills as minor ones and makes you avoid using them so you don't out-pace yourself. Oops I jumped too much and leveled up, now the house cats are kicking my ass!

DUMB

God's Beard said:
Oh, and I kinda killed my fan.
I didnt know u could.

I played through it a cple of times on 360, way back when. Started another playthrough on ps3, got to around level 20, then started playing other stuff and forgot about it. Picked up shivering isles this past november, but i barely just started it.
I'm probably burned on it a little. That and, i really dont like the leveling up mechanics. The game feels kinda stale now. Not surprising after spending a ginormous number of hours on it.

When's the sequel coming out? I'd probably enjoy the same game, with new storyline and tweaked gameplay mechanics. I almost wish EA had bought bethesda. ES2009 would be out already.

DeadGzuz said:
Boo hoo, the thread is about Oblivion and I stated my opinions which are valid. I'm no power gamers, the system was just lazy. Instead of the developers having to tweak the game world for various levels they just leveled everything with you, lame.

WTF kind of a system makes you put your combat or magic skills as minor ones and makes you avoid using them so you don't out-pace yourself. Oops I jumped too much and leveled up, now the house cats are kicking my ass!

DUMB

I never once thought about which skills I used throughout the game at any given time. I just played the game and progressed as I should. It was never an issue at any time for me. And if you are worried about using your skills then you're thinking too much about the leveling process, which is again an issue with Power Gamers. Like I said, the system did what it was designed to do. Provide a level of challenge throughout the entire game, and beyond since you can keep playing after finishing off the main quest.

That said, I don't think the system is flawless by any means. I think the game should have had a few "boss" type creatures that were designed for only high end characters, no matter which level you came across them. (Yes, there were a few of these, but more would have been nice. And more unique as well)

I've also written in several other Oblivion threads how the system could be improved in the future by making it more geographically based. Creating zones around the cities in which the creatures spawned more logically due to proximity. For instance, close to a city you wouldn't expect to find a Daedra as the city guards/King's army would be called out to keep the area safe, but further out into the wilderness the creatures would get progressively more dangerous and challenging. Something like that would be more logical and work better within the context of the game imho.

chase

This is one of my all-time favorite games. I'm replaying it now for the first time in about a year and it's reminding me why I love it.

The thing is, all the criticisms of the game are valid, and I might even add some of my own, but I still think this is what all games should aspire to...with all the criticisms fixed, of course. I can't wait for TES V: hopefully with Oblivion serving as a great learning experience, it can be what we've all wanted from this series.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
For now I've gone relatively light on mods so as to prevent any conflicts and ensure the game is totally stable. Since everything worked out fine without needing any tweaking, I'll probably load up some more in the coming days.

Oblivion mod manager. A must.

Francesco's leveled creatures/items mod. For altering the leveled lists so that enemies are at a more static level, and loot is more realistically dispersed, and you'll fight both strong and weak enemies as you progress. Also adds a bunch of other optional good stuff.

AF Level Mod. Allows you to change the leveling system to one of several different methods. The one that caught my eye makes it so that every time you get a skill-up, its governing attribute will be raised by a fraction of a point (more for major skills, less for minor). Once you have 7 attribute increases, you gain a level. So no worries at all about breaking your character or multipliers or whatever.

Midas Magic Spells of Aurum. Adds a ton of spells, and makes a sort of quest for obtaining each one. Greatly expands the magic system. Set magical traps, shoot d&d style magic missiles, create projectile barriers, summon comets, breathe fire, etc. etc.

Unofficial Oblivion Patch Fixes 1,100+ bugs.

Quest Award Leveling. Upgrades your quest rewards to the appropriate level as you get there. No worries about holding off on doing a particular quest so you get whatever version of that item you want.

Phinix Immersive DarkUI. Improves the look and feel of the UI. (note: follow installation instructions correctly).

Qarl's Texture Pack III. Graphical megaton. Replaces textures, normal maps, parallax maps, specular maps.

Natural Environments. Adds weather effects, improves the look of trees/vegetation, adds birds and insects.

Martigen's Monster Mod. 150+ new creatures and NPCs in 1900+ variants. New AI/behavioral stuff.

Younger Hotter NPCs Women. No more shrek women.

Female EyeCandy Body Replacer (NSFW). Gives female characters a greatly improved figure. Also available in underwear version for the prudes.

Rens Beauty Pack. Adds the custom race Mystic Elf (pictured in my screens) in male and female versions, plus lots of hair options. Requires KT's custom race fix .

Cyrodiil Transportation Network. Gives you a morrowind-style transportation system. Mages guild teleport network and a silt strider style city to city network. Also lets you disable the default fast travel nonsense.

Skip Tutorial. Lets you bypass the tutorial dungeon.

Crowded Roads Revamped. Gives life to the road network. Adds traveling merchants, adventurers, bandits, etc. Keeps things interesting if you've disabled fast travel.

Cyrodiil Terrain Map v25. Replaces the default world map.

LowPoly Grass.. Better grass performance.

Illumination Within. Adds window lighting at night for buildings.

That'll get you started. Installed correctly, using the default list order within the mod manager, I've had no conflicts. But that's really just the beginning. Some people run 300+ mods. Check out Deadly Reflex for new combat moves like decapitations and horse combat. The Lost Spires is a well-regarded quest pack. etc. etc.

sennin

I :3 Oblivion! Admittedly not during its development posture, I was rather loud in the Elderscrolls forums complaining about Morrowind's state, and wondering why are bugs left to fans to fix. Well, after 120 hours finishing almost every quest, I'd take all of that back. :lol I've no real issues with "dumbing down", the radar's a great boon to solving quests asap. It is nice to have a GPS during those fetch quests - I've very little desire to run around in circles trying to locate a well-hidden and obscure item. Despite a step up from Morrowind's embarrassing emulation of survival antics (badly drawn 3D Lego blocks doing stiff attack animations), the combat still fails to captivate an adrenaline rush. Whack > Block > Whack more > Block even more > ad nauseam. It isn't too hard to incorporate a combo/QTE combat system - The Witcher nailed down the basics nicely. Story's generic fantasy stuff as well, with only 2 quests sticking out as gold - Thieves' Guild and Dark Brotherhood.

Oblivion delivered a fresh experience focusing heavily on exploration. There is no substitute in the market for such a well crafted and open-ended world with simply gorgeous graphics. Amidst the lush details of flora and fauna, the most beautiful landscape I'd give 1st prize to goes to Oblivion gates. Is there room for improvement in TES V? Definitely. Bethesda can start with the story by hiring competent script writers, cut down on fetch quests and explore new art directions. A complete scrapping of the DLC model is another step in the right direction Bethesda - the horse armor debacle should have ingrained that lesson well. Fans are NOT fools to be exploited of our goodwill. Oblivion's fans deserve much praise for being a dedicated and committed community working hard to flesh out the world of Cyrodil. Elven Cartographer, AF leveling mods and plenty of graphics enhancers keep the juice in Oblivion pumping nonstop. My sweet foray with TES IV is possible with an old 9800xt card, 1 GB of ram and a 2.8@3.0Ghz socket 478 CPU. ^

Looking forward to Fallout 3 and TES V Beth!

Prince8

Banned
Wow looks like I'm gonna get the PC version as well, looks awesome. I've put more then 250 hours in the 360 version (including Shivering Isles), and even though I had higher expectations, I loved every damn second of it. It was however disappointing that there where no possibilities of turning into a werewolf, or becoming some sort of higher God like being at the end. Vampire thing was ok, but there weren't many gameplay changes (except for some minor stats differences)

YYZ

Make sure you use a user interface (UI) mod. I use DarNified's UI mod which replaces the shitastic UI which was clearly made for the 360 users. Once you use this, you will never go back.

I use the OOO mod, S.P.A.M. to get rid of the frustrating leveling system (if you want to max out your character).

Deadly Reflex
Realistic Combat
Quest Award Leveler
Legendary Mastery
Supreme Magicka
Armory Lab <--- amazingly useful
Intelligence Overhaul

I also use all the standard graphical overhauls, I uninstalled Qarl's pack because my system can't seem to run this game well even though I have dual 3870s. See this page for all the best graphical mods and tweaks. Your system should run Qarl's pack fine, it is worth it, trust me.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Oblivion_1.html

For people with the console versions, you're missing out on so much it's unbelievable. I realize you pretty much need a brand new PC to run this game well so consider it in a few years when a PC solution is more viable.

Game suffers from a few messed up decisions. Its an INCREDIBLE game though. Easily a 100 hours went into it and there could have been more. Bethesda needs to just drop Fallout 3 and everything else their working on and combine all of their resources into making the next Elder Scrolls title the game of forever.

Prospero

YYZ said:
I realize you pretty much need a brand new PC to run this game well so consider it in a few years when a PC solution is more viable.

Hold it--how will this game run on the 2007 24-inch aluminum iMac (running Windows XP via Boot Camp?) Specs are 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, and a tweaked version of the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro that only appears in those iMacs--slightly faster than the stock HD 2600 Pro.

The game came out spring '06, right? I'd expect to be able to run it easily, if not maxed out.

Desi

My real fun came when I restarted (for the fourth time) and decided not to level except when I have to for stupid Dark Brotherhood and Mage Quest BS. I can't get the good weapons but I feel safer from wolves and get much more enjoyment out of doing Quests. Finishing that guy at the end of the Fighters Guild line was great as was stomping around with Magorek or whatever her name was.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Prospero said:
Hold it--how will this game run on the 2007 24-inch aluminum iMac (running Windows XP via Boot Camp?) Specs are 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, and a tweaked version of the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro that only appears in those iMacs--slightly faster than the stock HD 2600 Pro.

The game came out spring '06, right? I'd expect to be able to run it easily, if not maxed out.

The HD2600pro looks to be around the performance of a 7900GT for oblivion, which was high end at the time the game came out. Game should run just fine. It takes an 8800 series card to run the game completely maxed out (hdr, aa, af, very high resolution, graphics mods), but don't let that dissuade you since the game will still look great on your machine.

sennin

YYZ said:
I realize you pretty much need a brand new PC to run this game well so consider it in a few years when a PC solution is more viable.

Well, here's one option to consider. http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/$500_gaming_pc_upgrade/

Periodically, PC hardware/gaming sites will do write ups such as this and provide a couple of sample benchmark scores. If you're going for an 8800GT build, now's a good time to pick up Oblivion GOTY. Catch being this build won't play Crysis well at max settings, but if you are not heading there, don't sweat it.

Ploid 3.0

EviLore said:

This. I really wish I played this on pc, heck with the mods I'd probably play again I'm sure. It was a pain for me to go through Oblivion holding back on using the main abilities I wanted to use as my class. I had to have a paper around with my increased skills so I wouldn't level up. Also it looks better on PC and better mods for the look of the characters.

What 90% of the people playing Oblivion don't understand are the ways classes work. They find that they can level fast as **** by jumping everywhere they go, not realising that they've just created a lvl 50 Master Jumper. Of course a professional jumper with no real skills is going to get his ass kicked by anything, because the game expects him to be a lvl 50 Ass Kicker...

Basically, it's not the game, it's the player.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
SiegfriedFM said:
What 90% of the people playing Oblivion don't understand are the ways classes work. They find that they can level fast as **** by jumping everywhere they go, not realising that they've just created a lvl 50 Master Jumper. Of course a professional jumper with no real skills is going to get his ass kicked by anything, because the game expects him to be a lvl 50 Ass Kicker...

Nope, it's the game. Fortunately this is fixable.

SiegfriedFM said:

I agree with this. The game lets you play the way you want to play, and as I stated earlier, I never once thought about which skills to level. I simply played. And I never had any issues with the creatures leveling too. It forced me to try new things, kept the combat fresh, and old tactics weren't as useful later in the game. All those things are fine by me, as the level of challenge remained consistently high all the way through.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why must we got through this in ever Oblivion thread? The topic has been beaten into the ground. The leveling system of the creatures has a few problems yes, but it also serves it's purpose quite well. Which is to say, it keeps the challenge throughout the game. It forces you to change up your tactics, learn, and adapt as you go, and unlike Morrowind, you can't become a god-like character in 30-45 minutes.

In the next version of the game, the system does need some tweaks to be sure, but for the most part it works fine. The people that I hear complaining about it are usually power gamers who just want to get their character up to a level where nothing can touch them, which conversely isn't fun to me. BTW, I never ran into an issue with a bear like the one you describe. While creatures do level as you do, they don't level nearly as fast, nor as high.

Overall, still one of my favorite games of the past few years though. A lot of fun, and the freedom to explore is still amazing.

The leveling system made the game feel like a traditional, linear RPG in terms of the way enemy and loot systems progress. Instead of each new town having better loot, and each new dungeon having stronger monsters and proportionally higher rewards, it all progressed in tandem. I thought it was a logical and effective way to address the open-world nature of the game. In the next game I'd like to see some texture applied - some dungeons harder than others, etc, but overall I loved it. It has a lot to do with why I enjoy the game. It was a remarkable balance of open-ended options and accessability.

I could go on about Oblivion, but I did that in the official thread (how small it looks now!). But I do love me some Oblivion. Mmmm mmmm mmmm good.

I'd kind of like to have larger creatures. Big dragons or something. The ending kind of did but if I remember correct you didn't actually fight the dragon. There are Orcs or Trolls or something that would kind of big in dungeons but most were human size or smaller. Give me some large bosses that I need to run around an fight or climb up or something. Just an idea though.

Rekwest

Hitler Stole My Potato said:

sennin

Level scaling in Oblivion game me some serious challenge the moment I hit level 14+... I recall constantly getting whipped by some two-bit minotaur and will-o-wisps. That prompted me to read up on combat tactics, and I learned a few things:

- Reflect damage is godly in Oblivion
- Beth still did not fix the broken 100% Chameleon effect from Morrowind...
- chain spelling one hit kills almost any monster. Until today, I'm not sure if this is the way magic is meant to be played, or is this a bug. I had lots of fun with it though. Modified Lower Resist > modified Lower Resist > any corresponding elemental spell > one dead mob.
- Oblivion gates reward Sigil Stones. They are the answer to swift pest riddance. +x% shock damage to any weapon, and viola! Hack n Slash is viable again.

I'm aware plenty of players cry foul at the above mentioned tactics, in particular 100% Chameleon and Sigil Stones. The mods give players a choice to do an overhaul of their powers, alongside giving monsters fixed levels. From this perspective, I'd comment the game is home to a dysfunctional system in need of balancing. The leveling system is bad. FF XI is also skill based, where you train say, enhancing or enfeebling skills without interfering with your player levels. It has a cap on skill levels based on player's current job level to ensure balance. Oblivion lacks that, and hence the lvl 20 Master Jumpers and politicians (Speechcraft specialist lol) face easy deaths in the wild.

However, the other side of the coin that says Oblivion players aren't too intimate with the system has its merits - the solutions are there, but most of them are extreme all-or-nothing cases.

For the record, I played it during its release date window, so mods were mostly skins. I took whatever Beth threw at me and played through it vanilla style.

I was hoping to hold of on most of the mods(except stuff like natural environments) until I've beaten the game, but considering that I've played for 3 days and I'm only a level 10 Master Jumper, I might have to start early.

Top Bottom