• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Oblivion

besada

Banned
Gattsu25 said:
Appreciating the level of freedom the game offers. I find the game relaxing.

I do too. I was thirtieth level before I even started the main quest because getting lost in the forests and randomly running across stuff was so much fun. There need to be more exploration based games.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
SiegfriedFM said:
What 90% of the people playing Oblivion don't understand are the ways classes work. They find that they can level fast as **** by jumping everywhere they go, not realising that they've just created a lvl 50 Master Jumper. Of course a professional jumper with no real skills is going to get his ass kicked by anything, because the game expects him to be a lvl 50 Ass Kicker...

Basically, it's not the game, it's the player.

Speaking of which, don't people know there is a difficulty slider in the option menu?

btw anyone know if gamepad's are compatible with the mod's?
I remember someone saying in the old Oblivion thread it wasn't.

Confidence Man said:
CKIsle01.jpg

This is what I like. Oblivion + DOF = win

YYZ

I'm in the process of installing FCOM (combines the top four overhaul mods) which is terribly complex, along with the many mods recommended by various meta mod sites. I will do a write up of this when I'm done (some time in the middle of tomorrow, it is that big). Hopefully this is the last time I do this because I may have spent more time in the mod scene then really playing the game :lol

I won't be satisfied until I know I am playing the best version possible, which I am getting close to I think. Then I can relax and play my character how I want.

Meta site

Someone's mod List

Someone else's mod list

Texture mods list

Mods for the in-game houses

The FCOM mod, don't go here unless you have experience with mods and/or you're willing to read pages of instructions

If someone wants something better than Vanilla Oblivion then start off first by updating to the latest official patch then update with the unofficial patch, then get a UI mod, the least hassle-free I think is DarNified's UI mod. You may want to stop there even. The game is unplayable on the PC without a UI mod. A mod like OOO will change the core gameplay beyond recognition although it's great for hardcore players. I just played a little bit of vanilla Oblivion and it's a joke how easy it is along with how quickly your character levels up.

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
As much as I've been disappointed with the game and as much as I've bitched about it, I'm replaying it again on the PS3 and I'm having a better time for whatever reason. I initially started it on the PS3 just to check out the graphical/performance differences between it and the 360 one, but now I'm doing stuff that I never bothered to do the first time around, like a lot of the quests around Skingrad, and I'm actually enjoying it. Can't really explain why exactly.

I just bought the PS3 version and started playing it again as well. I enjoyed it on the Xbox 360 but it was hampered by performance issues. The longer I played it the more it would crash and clearing the cache didn't really seem to fix the problem. In the end, I probably never would have stopped playing the game if isn't wasn't for the random lock ups ever 20-40 minutes.

I am completely sucked in again and I have some quick question about the PS3 version. Have any PS3 patches been released? I bought the original version for cheap, there aren't any bug/performance fixes in the Game of the Year edition that I might have missed out on is there? I know the PS3 version performs better but does it ever randomly crash? I want to get an idea of how diligent I should be with my saves.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
EviLore said:
For now I've gone relatively light on mods so as to prevent any conflicts and ensure the game is totally stable. Since everything worked out fine without needing any tweaking, I'll probably load up some more in the coming days.

Oblivion mod manager. A must.

Francesco's leveled creatures/items mod. For altering the leveled lists so that enemies are at a more static level, and loot is more realistically dispersed, and you'll fight both strong and weak enemies as you progress. Also adds a bunch of other optional good stuff.

AF Level Mod. Allows you to change the leveling system to one of several different methods. The one that caught my eye makes it so that every time you get a skill-up, its governing attribute will be raised by a fraction of a point (more for major skills, less for minor). Once you have 7 attribute increases, you gain a level. So no worries at all about breaking your character or multipliers or whatever.

Midas Magic Spells of Aurum. Adds a ton of spells, and makes a sort of quest for obtaining each one. Greatly expands the magic system. Set magical traps, shoot d&d style magic missiles, create projectile barriers, summon comets, breathe fire, etc. etc.

Unofficial Oblivion Patch Fixes 1,100+ bugs.

Quest Award Leveling. Upgrades your quest rewards to the appropriate level as you get there. No worries about holding off on doing a particular quest so you get whatever version of that item you want.

Phinix Immersive DarkUI. Improves the look and feel of the UI. (note: follow installation instructions correctly).

Qarl's Texture Pack III. Graphical megaton. Replaces textures, normal maps, parallax maps, specular maps.

Natural Environments. Adds weather effects, improves the look of trees/vegetation, adds birds and insects.

Martigen's Monster Mod. 150+ new creatures and NPCs in 1900+ variants. New AI/behavioral stuff.

Younger Hotter NPCs Women. No more shrek women.

Female EyeCandy Body Replacer (NSFW). Gives female characters a greatly improved figure. Also available in underwear version for the prudes.

Rens Beauty Pack. Adds the custom race Mystic Elf (pictured in my screens) in male and female versions, plus lots of hair options. Requires KT's custom race fix .

Cyrodiil Transportation Network. Gives you a morrowind-style transportation system. Mages guild teleport network and a silt strider style city to city network. Also lets you disable the default fast travel nonsense.

Skip Tutorial. Lets you bypass the tutorial dungeon.

Crowded Roads Revamped. Gives life to the road network. Adds traveling merchants, adventurers, bandits, etc. Keeps things interesting if you've disabled fast travel.

Cyrodiil Terrain Map v25. Replaces the default world map.

LowPoly Grass.. Better grass performance.

Illumination Within. Adds window lighting at night for buildings.

That'll get you started. Installed correctly, using the default list order within the mod manager, I've had no conflicts. But that's really just the beginning. Some people run 300+ mods. Check out Deadly Reflex for new combat moves like decapitations and horse combat. The Lost Spires is a well-regarded quest pack. etc. etc.

Evilore does the OOO mod assimilate all of those mods listed above into one? Wouldn't getting the OOO mod cover all of those? Or are those mods separate from OOO?

eXistor

I loved the game as it is, but it's so obvious that the game would be better if they'd just removed level-scaling, random loot and fast travel.

I'm on the 360 version so all the mods mean nothing to me unfortunately. I could run it perfectly on my new comp, but I've played it for 120+ hours already, so I'm kinda done with it.

BitchTits

What sort of specs on a laptop would be able to run Oblivion with mods, running smoothly, looking good etc?

I'd love to get Oblivion for PC having only had it on 360, but it still seems only high-spec PCs are capable of running it from what I read.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
BitchTits said:
What sort of specs on a laptop would be able to run Oblivion with mods, running smoothly, looking good etc?

I'd love to get Oblivion for PC having only had it on 360, but it still seems only high-spec PCs are capable of running it from what I read.

It's hard to say for sure, any chance you can list off your specs?

(processor/ram/video chip and it's ram/hard drive)

BitchTits

vanguardian1 said:
It's hard to say for sure, any chance you can list off your specs?

(processor/ram/video chip and it's ram/hard drive)
Well I'm looking to buy a new one shortly, which is why I wanted to know what kind of laptop spec could run Oblivion. :D

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
BitchTits said:
Well I'm looking to buy a new one shortly, which is why I wanted to know what kind of laptop spec could run Oblivion. :D

This is rough and right off the top of my head, but :

AMD/Intel Dual-Core processor 4ghz or comparable (My AMD 4600+ runs Oblivion like a charm, but I don't recall intel's marking setup)
2gb ram
Nvidia 8600m or ATI 2600 Mobile with at least 256mb (512mb could help)
7200rpm hard drive (make/model shouldn't matter, the faster rpm's would help a lot with load times)
And I'd suggest you make sure that it *can*, if you need, run Windows XP (a few newer systems can't)

guidop

I absolutely pwned the shit out of this game i think i played 150hrs +. It had a lot of charm and alot of humor in it aswell. The racism between the khajits and the Argonians was pretty funny. The last level/ mission of the Theifs guild was epic best mission in the game imo. My only gripe with it is that they didn't have Cutscenes on the console side you miss alot of the detail and dialog when you seating more then 3 feet away from the screen and not wearing headphones. Especially in the Garden level mission when you go to face the man dude, could hardly hear what he was saying and it was pretty important aswell.

Prince8

Banned
isamu said:
Evilore does the OOO mod assimilate all of those mods listed above into one? Wouldn't getting the OOO mod cover all of those? Or are those mods separate from OOO?
OOO mod? Enlighten me please, I'm going to reinstall Oblivion (played the 360 version cause my rig wasn't strong enough back then, but I missed out on all the mods)

Prince8

Banned
So when I'm looking at that video it makes me wonder... can't I combine mods myself then? Don't they work together normally? Because the problem is that a lot of things that are present in OOO are not changes I'd like to have.

BitchTits

vanguardian1 said:
This is rough and right off the top of my head, but :

AMD/Intel Dual-Core processor 4ghz or comparable (My AMD 4600+ runs Oblivion like a charm, but I don't recall intel's marking setup)
2gb ram
Nvidia 8600m or ATI 2600 Mobile with at least 256mb (512mb could help)
7200rpm hard drive (make/model shouldn't matter, the faster rpm's would help a lot with load times)
And I'd suggest you make sure that it *can*, if you need, run Windows XP (a few newer systems can't)
Thanks, that helps :)

winalot

I've gone back to Oblivion (360) the past couple of weeks after a long time away. Even after well over 130 hours I'd still not completed any of the Dark Brotherhood quests or finished off the main quest until this past week. Today I've just finished the main line of Shivering Isles quests which I thought were amazing, I love the whole setting and story.

My recent rekindled love for Oblivion has made me think about getting the PC version to check out some of the mods and after looking through that list I think it's a must, the amount of extra content is insane.

IzumiK

Banned
For me, I finished all 4 guild quest line in 6 hours and the main storyline in 4 hours.

I was bored and disappointed. Especially with the "radiant A.I.".

IzumiK said:
For me, I finished all 4 guild quest line in 6 hours and the main storyline in 4 hours.

I was bored and disappointed. Especially with the "radiant A.I.".

All four guilds completed in six hours? :lol

lordmrw

Christ man, I spent 66 hours or so playing the game. That's just, wow. Granted I dicked around with the sidequests and whatnot, but still.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I only know two absolute facts about Oblivion:

1, the only way to play is on the PC because of the mods and fixes
2, Morrowind was better.

/runs

firex

Oblivion is pretty fun to play with the default leveling system...
... if you don't level up. Then you don't see high level enemies, but they also don't take forever to kill. The scaled leveling system obviously sucks for the way it destroys loot and the environment by flooding everything with super high level monsters and common bandits in glass/daedric armor. Beyond that, though, it also makes combat a fucking chore at high levels, because enemies get absurdly more health as you get to higher levels.

Also, the only guild I ever found interesting whatsoever was the thief guild. The other 3 sucked imo, because of how boring they were in general. Dark Brotherhood had like one or two good quests, and the rest were zzz inducing, and the Mage/Fighter guilds both were incredibly repetitive. Maybe Shivering Isles was good, but honestly all the DLC addons aside from that expansion are on par with small, easy mods created by the players.

IzumiK

Banned
Confidence Man said:
All four guilds completed in six hours? :lol

With the instant travel system, scaling enemy levels, and doing the mage guild first to get 5 second 100% chameleon with low mana cost, I could beat anything.

firex said:
Then you don't see high level enemies, but they also don't take forever to kill.

Disagree. If you go cheat and give yourself super amounts of levels, meleeing the enemy takes about 10 minutes of whacking. Magic is the only viable option to kill them and that's if you had some fireball that was maxed out power using up millions of mana.

moojito

Rise from your grave, oblivion thread! I really didn't want to make yet another lttp oblivion thread, so I just necro'd this one. Anyway, do any of you folks still keep up with the modding scene for this game? I'm eager to try out some of these mods, but the only two places I see them available for download is the tesnexus site (which says file not found for every link), or the gamespy one which requires registration.

Are there any other decent places to get these mods, anyone know?

moojito

Quicksilva said:
If someone would recommend a couple of good mods to replay this game with I'd definitely play again!

That's kind of what this thread is about. See page 1!

Ledsen

moojito said:
That's kind of what this thread is about. See page 1!

Those tips are WAY too old... the Oblivion modding community is stupidly huge and new, better mods are released every month. Most of the mods in this thread are obsolete, basically. There's another, more current Oblivion thread that had more recent links but I can't be bothered to find it right now :p
I can give a few pointers for mods you could look up though (most of these have been around for a long time but are still updated):

*Qarls Texture Pack 3 Redimized - fixes environment graphics
*Darnified UI - fixes the UI
*Oscuros Oblivion Overhaul - fixes EVERYTHING basically... it started back in 2006 as a project to fix enemy and loot leveling, but has grown to a 1 GB+ mod with tons and tons and tons (and tons) of content. The readme is like 60 pages, check it out. There are other "overhaul" mods such as Franscescos but this is my favourite
*Unofficial Oblivion Patch - should be obvious
*Oblivion XP - changes the stupid character leveling to a more traditional xp system
*some sort of "better body" and "better face" mod to fix the weird-looking people
*Unique Landscapes - a mod project that is constantly being added to, it's a collection of mods that each take a part of the world and change it to a new, unique and interesting environment.

*Utility programs:
*Wrye Bash
*Oblivion Mod Manager
*BOSS (better oblivion sorting software)

This is just the tip of the iceberg though and the best place to ask this question would be in the official Bethesda Oblivion mod forum. Download mods at Planet Elder Scrolls or The Elder Scrolls Nexus.

Top Bottom