• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Persona 5 - please avoid spoilers :)

A.Romero

Disclaimer: I have never played any game on this series or SMT before.

Reading the thread regarding the FFVII remake I noticed someone recommending Persona 5 for some turn based RPG action. I thought about getting this game before but never got around it. I went to Amazon and ordered it and got it yesterday.

I have played about 3 or maybe 4 hours total but wanted to start this thread to share my impressions and also maybe get some tips that might be useful early on.

First, the game doesn't look very well technically speaking. I mean, environments are limited and the poly count doesn't seem that high. However, the game looks amazing. The design direction might be the best I've seen in a game so far. Stuff like dialog boxes feel fresh and dynamic, nothing at all like the traditional blue rectangle in the middle of the screen. The design of the characters I've seen so far is pretty good too, specially if you are into the anime aesthetics. Even if it doesn't seem to be as technically advanced as other recent games, Persona 5 doesn't suffer from it at all. From the moment you start the game, you are showered with colors and animation that give the game an excellent presentation. This should be the reference for other games to follow.

Music is pretty good, includes Pop and Jazz tunes among other stuff. It fits well with the game without being overbearing. In my opinion is not as good as say something composed by Uematsu but still good. Sound FX are well selected and a lot of the game seems to be voiced. I wish I could select the Japanese voices (I thought this was a standar feature in games nowadays) but the English dub can't be considered bad. It's pretty good.

I can't say much about the story because I don't know much yet (please avoid spoilers) but so far it has been engaging. At this point in the game, gameplay has been scarce and most of the time has been spent in conversations with other characters. However, I can tell this is a winner. Behind the colorful and stylized characters there is a very dark background. So far I've seen a story with subway accidents and teachers raping students so I'm sure heavier stuff awaits later on. This was a surprise to me. Despite knowing that in a previous game characters had to shoot themselves in the head to fight, somehow I was expecting something lighter here. There is an interesting contrast between the colorful world and characters and the themes.... And I love it!

Gameplay seems pretty good although a bit complex. Standard japanese turn based RPG where you can attach with your character or through Personas (something like summons). Inventory management and stuff like that seems to be secondary to everything else and that's great. After playing games like Witcher 3 or Skyrim, something more simple in that sense sounds amazing. There is little exploration so basically you are either fighting in a dungeon or having conversations with other characters.

I started the game on normal and will probably play it only once. Would you recommend following some kind of guide so I can make sure I get the most of it (including the good ending)?

Mista

Banned
One of the best games I played this gen. Not sure I understand what’s not good technically about the game exactly because I haven’t seen or experienced any problem

Don’t see any guides or anything. Play it the way you’re going to play it till the end because Persona needs more than one playthrough to be honest

Have fun out there mate and if you have any question regarding the game mention me :)

A.Romero

One of the best games I played this gen. Not sure I understand what’s not good technically about the game exactly because I haven’t seen or experienced any problem

Don’t see any guides or anything. Play it the way you’re going to play it till the end because Persona needs more than one playthrough to be honest

Have fun out there mate and if you have any question regarding the game mention me :)

Thanks man!

Nothing wrong per se, just seems not as advanced as other recent games. Say poly counts, blur... Stuff like that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You honestly don't need follow guid, you choose however you want play it, the game doesn’t really punish you for that.

Biggest tips I can give you is capture as many demons as possible, not just for fusion but also you would know that demon’s weakness when face it again. Also both in Persona and SMT, buffs and debuffs are important.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Brace for impact on long and kinda slog dungeons later if that's a problem for you. Take your time chill still.

Don't fret about not completing full confidants, game is designed to limit your choice for new game+. Choose those who you like only.

Don't focus too much on any specific aspect of the game, grind only if needed. You'll get burned.

Edit: typo;}

Last edited:

Danjin44

Brace for impact on long and kinda slog dungeons later if that's a problem for you. Take your time chill still.

Don't fret about not completing full confidants, game is designed to limit your choice for new game+. Choose those who you like only,

Don't focus too much on any specific aspect of the game, don't grind if needed. You'll get burned.
In my first playthrough I played this on hard from get go I never needed to grind in this game.

Vlaphor

Persona 5 is one my favorite RPGs of all time, easily. The story isn't too great sadly, and neither are the characters, but it is the best playing JRPG ever. I would still personally recommend Persona 4 Golden over this, due to the much better characters and storyline, but P5 is a damn fine game.

Also, Tae Takemi is best waifu in this game.

Danjin44

That's why I said do not grind. Most of it will be a waste of time, and a perfect trap for perfectionist and such.
I was agreeing with you. Most the time Persona you fuse will be in higher level than the MC and equipped demon's powers tied to MC's stats.

Last edited:
The dungeons in this game burn me out - I guess I just don't really enjoy the combat, and I don't like managing the personas. I haven't beaten the game yet because of this. I love the story and the social link aspect and am unable to put the game down during those parts, but when it comes to the dungeons I end up shelving the game for months until I feel up to it. Idk if I'll ever complete it at this point which sucks because I recognize how amazing it is.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm going to get shit for this but fuck it.
A.Romero A.Romero
Persona 5 is the easiest Persona game to date barring 4. It isn't the best one and it isn't the worst one. The characters are one dimensional, the graphics have style but aren't anything special, the music is fucking repetitive despite it being a 70 hour game and I for the life of me don't know why I played through it twice. Oh yeah, I like JRPGs and will buy/play ANYTHING published or made by Atlus. Sadly most of the time you aren't playing the game but reading it. I'll you a tip, fuse demons and learn to make powerful demons personas around your level/make them have no weakness. A seasoned Atlus player can beat the game with Arsene alone so don't be afraid to fuse to your heart's content. Eventually the one dimensional characters (some) grow on you and you stop giving a fuck about the story.

The dungeons in this game burn me out - I guess I just don't really enjoy the combat, and I don't like managing the personas. I haven't beaten the game yet because of this. I love the story and the social link aspect and am unable to put the game down during those parts, but when it comes to the dungeons I end up shelving the game for months until I feel up to it. Idk if I'll ever complete it at this point which sucks because I recognize how amazing it is.
But the story is worst thing in the game though? The "combat" is standard turn based JRPG did you know that before buying the game? Also what is this, you don't like managing the Personas? You know what game you are playing? Is this your first JRPG or Atlus game? Do you need help? Don't force yourself to play something you don't enjoy. So...so many questions.

Wink

Enjoy yourself, Go with the flow. If you're bored or frustrated by the combat adjust the difficulty. I played it on hard and loved the challenge but if you're not into micro managing don't go there. Don't sweat about min maxing anything, just interact with the characters you want to see more of, make the story your own and most important of all accept the pacing. Don't try to rush this game.

Last edited:

klosos

Beautiful Style , fantastic UI and great music also its a boring slog of a game, for me it got tedious after 30+ hours and ive never gone back. I hope you have a better time with it then i did.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
DON'T USE A GUIDE.

Seriously. I say that as someone who uses a guide occasionally in games but for this don't do it. By all means Google shit if you're confused (I did it a lot) but don't use a guide. I remember looking at one and if I had followed it then the game would not have been as fun. Just chill, enjoy the story/music, and the combat can be as easy/difficult as you want it to be. Don't try spend your time with every confidant! I tried this and there just wasn't enough time (F.U Morgana) so I started just spending time with the confidants who I found most interesting or those who unlocked cool stuff.

Getting the good ending is quite easy. Here are 3 spoiler free tips:

1. Steal the Treasure in each Palace before the deadline. - Do them as soon as you can! Some you can do start to finish in just one day but some will force you to come back another day.

2. During the interrogation on 11/20, give the first response to the second and third questions.

3. During a conversation with Igor on 12/24, refuse him.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

A.Romero

Don't fret about not completing full confidants, game is designed to limit your choice for new game+. Choose those who you like only.

Don't focus too much on any specific aspect of the game, grind only if needed. You'll get burned.

Edit: typo;}
Thanks for the warning. It's been a long time since I devoted that long to a game. As a reference my most played game is Witcher 3, I put about 150 hrs.

My most recent finished game was Shadow of War, I think I put 65 hours on it.

A.Romero A.Romero
Persona 5 is the easiest Persona game to date barring 4. It isn't the best one and it isn't the worst one. The characters are one dimensional, the graphics have style but aren't anything special, the music is fucking repetitive despite it being a 70 hour game and I for the life of me don't know why I played through it twice. Oh yeah, I like JRPGs and will buy/play ANYTHING published or made by Atlus. Sadly most of the time you aren't playing the game but reading it. I'll you a tip, fuse demons and learn to make powerful demons personas around your level/make them have no weakness. A seasoned Atlus player can beat the game with Arsene alone so don't be afraid to fuse to your heart's content. Eventually the one dimensional characters (some) grow on you and you stop giving a fuck about the story.

But the story is worst thing in the game though? The "combat" is standard turn based JRPG did you know that before buying the game? Also what is this, you don't like managing the Personas? You know what game you are playing? Is this your first JRPG or Atlus game? Do you need help? Don't force yourself to play something you don't enjoy. So...so many questions.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to get to know Atlus' style. It's my first Atlus RPG.

Luckily I'm up for reading a lot as long as what I'm reading is engaging.

I can see the music getting repetitive.

DON'T USE A GUIDE.

Seriously. I say that as someone who uses a guide occasionally in games but for this don't do it. By all means Google shit if you're confused (I did it a lot) but don't use a guide. I remember looking at one and if I had followed it then the game would not have been as fun. Just chill, enjoy the story/music, and the combat can be as easy/difficult as you want it to be. Don't try spend your time with every confidant! I tried this and there just wasn't enough time (F.U Morgana) so I started just spending time with the confidants who I found most interesting or those who unlocked cool stuff.

Getting the good ending is quite easy. Here are 3 spoiler free tips:

1. Steal the Treasure in each Palace before the deadline. - Do them as soon as you can! Some you can do start to finish in just one day but some will force you to come back another day.

2. During the interrogation on 11/20, give the first response to the second and third questions.

3. During a conversation with Igor on 12/24, refuse him.

I never use guides but I thought it would be basically a necessity. Thanks for the advice, I won't use one.

I'll take note of those decisions so I can get the best ending the first time. I love gaming but there is so much to play that I can't justify to play the same game several times (although no doubt is worth it), just a compromise that I have to make so I can conserve a social life and take care of my SO.

A.Romero A.Romero

Yes it is my first Persona game. I've only watched Persona 4 Endurance Run by Giantbomb which introduced me to the series.

I'm not forcing myself to play it, like I said I have shelved the game. Personally I do enjoy the story and characters though, and i like grinding social links and managing the different daily activities which is a huge aspect of the game. I just don't enjoy the dungeon crawling and persona fusing/switching combat system like I thought I would going into it.

zeorhymer

P5 is a good game. It has great music and a distinct art style. Compared to the other games in the series, it lacks quite a bit of depth, but I can why they did that to make everything streamlined and catchy to everyone. It's a good game for sure. I love the fact that all of the character's Persona's are all based on master thieves in literature.

Only tips I can share is, don't neglect your studies, always build up social links, have time to level up your characters and make sure you don't run out of time when you fight the boss.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Yes it is my first Persona game. I've only watched Persona 4 Endurance Run by Giantbomb which introduced me to the series.

I'm not forcing myself to play it, like I said I have shelved the game. Personally I do enjoy the story and characters though, and i like grinding social links and managing the different daily activities which is a huge aspect of the game. I just don't enjoy the dungeon crawling and persona fusing/switching combat system like I thought I would going into it.
That sucks. I don't get why you don't like what most people love about the series itself but it certainly isn't for everybody.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Beating the entire series with your favorite demons that are considered lower tier is the best.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
In newer games it does let you choose what skill demons inherit, so you can make favourite demon/Persona crazy powerful.
Here's hoping 5 plays more like Apocalypse and has the amazing fusion system from it as well. But honestly as long as they don't go back to not letting them level up I can still manage.

Danjin44

Here's hoping 5 plays more like Apocalypse and has the amazing fusion system from it as well. But honestly as long as they don't go back to not letting them level up I can still manage.
Oh hell yeah, LOVE the Fusion system in Apocalypse!!!

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Oh hell yeah, LOVE the Fusion system in Apocalypse!!!
Yes
dZQMFoc.jpg

A.Romero

Alright, I got to play a couple of hours last night. The game is slow!

I got to see the first deadline to finish the palace and purchase some items (shit is expensive). I was also introduced to the "Talk" mechanic and I managed to catch a couple of Personas so far.

The game also told me something about Arcana Burst but I haven't seen where or how to use it. I had opportunities to develop the confident level with some characters. I went for Takemi because she seems the most intriguing. I'm not a fan of the preassure of being limited by the amount of days left, I'm just not used to the mechanic. I think the last game I played that had a similar system (other than Total War series) was Shenmue.

I'm planning to run through the dungeon today and see what follows.

Question: Should I be concerned about money?
The game is hasn't been that challenging so far but I can see a situation where the SP points could become a problem, specially considering vending machines get refilled once a week.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations and opinions. I hope I don't get burned before finishing the game. So far I'm feeling OK (with less than 10 hours).

Danjin44

Alright, I got to play a couple of hours last night. The game is slow!

I got to see the first deadline to finish the palace and purchase some items (shit is expensive). I was also introduced to the "Talk" mechanic and I managed to catch a couple of Personas so far.

The game also told me something about Arcana Burst but I haven't seen where or how to use it. I had opportunities to develop the confident level with some characters. I went for Takemi because she seems the most intriguing. I'm not a fan of the preassure of being limited by the amount of days left, I'm just not used to the mechanic. I think the last game I played that had a similar system (other than Total War series) was Shenmue.

I'm planning to run through the dungeon today and see what follows.

Question: Should I be concerned about money?
The game is hasn't been that challenging so far but I can see a situation where the SP points could become a problem, specially considering vending machines get refilled once a week.

Thanks to everyone for your recommendations and opinions. I hope I don't get burned before finishing the game. So far I'm feeling OK (with less than 10 hours).
In beginning SP might be issue but later on it would no longer be a problem. My advice you don’t need kill regular enemies with spell ever time, your physical attacks can get the job done. It’s same with money, at beginning you might have shortage but later on it longer be a issue. Also after you done with dungeon for the day, go weapon shop and sell small treasures you find in the dungeons.

A.Romero

In beginning SP might be issue but later on it would no longer be a problem. My advice you don’t need kill regular enemies with spell ever time, your physical attacks can get the job done. It’s same with money, at beginning you might have shortage but later on it longer be a issue. Also after you done with dungeon for the day, go weapon shop and sell small treasures you find in the dungeons.

Great!

Will do! Thanks.

Verdanth

First time playing a persona game? Then its one hell of a game OP.

However, if you're not new to the series, P5 is overrated.

Nothing beats P3 for me.

Dont, for the love of god, play a Persona game after finishing 5, you will regret it.

Last edited:
  • LOL

A.Romero

Don't know if anyone else mentioned it, but there is an option for Japanese voices. Maybe it's a separate download in the store.

I don't think anyone mentioned. Thanks for the info! I'll take a look. This is really good news for me. I recognize few Japanese words but in general I prefer to enjoy games and movies in their original language.

Nothing beats P3 for me.

Dont, for the love of god, play a Persona game after finishing 5, you will regret it.

What do you mean? Don't play other games in the series after 5? Why so?

Danjin44

Well P5 gameplay is much more polished compare to pervious game, so it might feel dated compare that P5. I personally still recommend playing pervious game like P4Golden.

Verdanth

I don't think anyone mentioned. Thanks for the info! I'll take a look. This is really good news for me. I recognize few Japanese words but in general I prefer to enjoy games and movies in their original language.

Missed a "right" on the sentence.

You can try old games sure, what I meant is to not play another Persona game right after finishing P5.

Hadoukie

Absolutely loved this game. It just oozed style all the way through. All the gameplay changes were very welcome, and made it a lot more fun. Only thing I didn't like was the last section of the game dragged a little. Other than that, great. Can't wait to see what they implement in P5R.

One tip I'll say: make sure to max out the Temperance and Fortune S. Links ASAP. By far the most useful ones of the bunch, and will help your progression.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

Nothing beats P3 for me.

P2 dualogy>P1>P3>P5>P4.
Even with the dated and shit gameplay.

A.Romero

I haven't been able to finish the first Palace. It's longer that I was expecting somehow (which probably mean that the later ones are much longer). It's more difficult thant the JRPG's I'm used to play. I think physical damage (so far without elemental damage) is not that effective against enemies. Maybe my level is too low (I'm about halfway the dungeon in the Central Tower and about level 7). I still have 11 days to beat the palace but I was trying to prioritize finishing that up.

Most of the fights are against enemy groups and even if they are low level, the most effective tactic so far has been to stagger them and then use All Out Attack.

Am I'm playing the game wrong?

MagnesG

Banned
I haven't been able to finish the first Palace. It's longer that I was expecting somehow (which probably mean that the later ones are much longer). It's more difficult thant the JRPG's I'm used to play. I think physical damage (so far without elemental damage) is not that effective against enemies. Maybe my level is too low (I'm about halfway the dungeon in the Central Tower and about level 7). I still have 11 days to beat the palace but I was trying to prioritize finishing that up.

Most of the fights are against enemy groups and even if they are low level, the most effective tactic so far has been to stagger them and then use All Out Attack.

Are you correctly exploiting enemy weaknesses? I mean besides your usual strategy.

Danjin44

Some demons are strong against physical attacks, if that’s the case use elemental attacks, same with group of enemies if gives you too much trouble. This your first experience with Persona/SMT and they are usually tougher than most other JRPG. For your first time you don’t need to beat entire dungeon in one go.

Don’t worry you are not really playing wrong, you will eventually get used to the press turn combat.

A.Romero

Are you correctly exploiting enemy weaknesses? I mean besides your usual strategy.
Yes. Or at least I believe I'm doing so.

Some demons are strong against physical attacks, if that’s the case use elemental attacks, same with group of enemies if gives you too much trouble. This your first experience with Persona/SMT and they are usually tougher than most other JRPG. For your first time you don’t need to beat entire dungeon in one go.

Don’t worry you are not really playing wrong, you will eventually get used to the press turn combat.

Good to know.

In general is it best to kill the enemies and obtain experience and some money or try to get an item?

Danjin44

In general is it best to kill the enemies and obtain experience and some money or try to get an item?
If the enemy is strong and giving you really hard time then you better off taking their money if you are short on cash or items. That way you still gives some portion of Exp with out getting killed.

I used this tactics on red enemies that you will see with your third eye. Later on dungeon some of them don’t even have weakness and they can mess you up.

Like theses guys:
1200px-Anubis.png

Top Bottom