• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Phil Spencer is a cool guy after listening to his Podcast Unlocked interview

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I knew he seemed like a big step up at E3 and all, but I hadn't really heard him much outside of that. I've read some things, but never really heard him in video/audio.

Listened to this week's IGN Podcast Unlocked (Xbox Podcast) in my car some yesterday which is a 1 on 1 interview with Phil Spencer. While sure the dude still has to play the PR game can't be full candid he generally seemed to be forthright and seemed to "get it" compared to Mattrick.

He also seemed more likable than the Sony guys, but that just might be the fact that when Shu is on a podcast despite him knowing some Englush there still is a language barrier to some extent. Plus Phil seemed more willing to take on the questions than whenever Reggie does press.

Like I said sure some of it is just good PR spin, but in general Spencer seemed to understand the Xbox brand, where it had come from, what the pitfalls had been, and was candid about knowing there are other players in the game such as having the spread sheet for install times on the PS4 and Xbone. Def seemed to understand he is head of the Xbox division, and that he's product doesn't exist in the vacuum even if he is trying to play to his overall company's strenghts.

I know most of you will say I'm LTTP on all of this with Spencer, and I probably am though. :p

E92 M3

Oh yeah - he's a great guy. I can tell he's genuinely interested in moving the industry forward and giving us the best value for the money. Great dude overall.

Logash

Yeah I like him alot. Every time I hear him speak it makes me want an Xbox One but then I remember that I own a PS4 and most games will be the same :( That controller though. . .

pr0cs

Hopefully he can get xbox back to it's roots. It's clear the XBO is behind the PS4 on hardware but if Microsoft can continue to make compelling games (FH2 and SO as well as MCC) and push the OS forward they'll do just fine.
To be honest I am really disappointed I don't have a XBO yet, I just need the price or right bundle to push me over the edge to own both machines.

phil_spencer_effectxlkhf.png

mrJared

Banned
you understand it's all an act.. yes?

I mean, everything dude said was meant to make him seem like he's for the gamers!

the part about what he would do if he were in charge was pretty obvious... the guy was there, in a high level position that could have influenced shit, but instead, he decided went right along with it.

anyway, this whole attitude is an act to make it seem as if he is really a fresh start... when it isn't.

but hey it worked on you, and a vast majority of people who were dying for someone to have hope in with the xbone.... so MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Somnia

He is good at saying stuff people want to hear in the way they want to hear it.

He's also clearly good at getting things done and changed. Not everything will be to everyones liking (parity clause for example), but as of right now he is making great changes.

Sorcerer

I think with Phil behind Xbox, they may have a chance at being on top in the next console gen.

The chance MS threw away this gen.

It is a shame he came in too late in this gen, but he has plenty of time to gear up for amazing things for the next round.

Paz

I met him and chatted for a while at TGS and he came across as quite genuine, the opposite of what I've grown to expect from executives. Will be very interesting to see how XBox ends up with him in charge.

T.O.P

Banned

I mean, everything dude said was meant to make him seem like he's for the gamers!

the part about what he would do if he were in charge was pretty obvious... the guy was there, in a high level position that could have influenced shit, but instead, he decided went right along with it.

anyway, this whole attitude is an act to make it seem as if he is really a fresh start... when it isn't.

but hey it worked on you, and a vast majority of people who were dying for someone to have hope in with the xbone.... so MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Dat post history

Lucille+gif+ugh.gif

Somnia

Are you serious? Dude had a boss he had to answer to, he was in charge of getting games on the system, not on it's internal designs, etc. Did he have his input? Yes he did and he has said in past interviews he gave his input and some were used and some weren't and he had to work with what he was given just like developers. The Xbox One was Mattrick's baby and his vision.

sangreal

You should check that random podcast he did with the parity comments. Was a much more candid interview imo

did you listen to it? because that was his answer

kick51

Banned
He's also clearly good at getting things done and changed. Not everything will be to everyones liking (parity clause for example), but as of right now he is making great changes.

He would deliver whatever message they decide to go with. It's his job.

He was head of Microsoft Studios the publisher, his job was to get games made for the system that MS could publish and he did that.

Marc Whitten was in charge of the technical side, I highly doubt that considering he had a boss (Don Mattrick) above him that he could sit at the table and demand they do other stuff in a part of the division that wasn't his to control, you make it sound like he was in charge of Xbox then - he wasn't.

Edit: Somnia pls.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

I actually fundamentally disagree with that statement as the way the divison has handled thing since he took over has been different than in the few years past. E3 this year (while not perfect and had it's own issues) was fundamentally different from last year. That's just just a PR statement, but they've been doing stuff.

Like I said you can criticiize him for not doing things exactly the way you want it, but to claim it was just a figure head and messaging change is fundamentally false when you look at what has actually been DONE since he took over.

E92 M3

Borderline trolling right there.

iJudged

Banned

Wat

jelly

Easier said than done.

He does come across well and seems to get it most of the time but he still has a company directive to follow and being in that environment since the 80s, I don't think he sees too differently than others.

Early days for him, jury will be out in a couple of years to be fair. Lets see how he does.

Sir TapTap

You should check that random podcast he did with the parity comments. Was a much more candid interview imo

did you listen to it? because that was his answer

Yeah after the parity clause comments and stuff like Tomb Raider exclusivity clearly continuing I can't really see him as much as a PR dude. Frankly one I'm not particularly fond of, all things considered.

E92 M3

Phil Spencer has changed my views on Xbox. I am genuinely excited about the future; even if it's weaker than the PS4 it will be a fantastic console with amazing games. Phil pushes for communication with the community. I am sure the workplace at MS has gotten better as well -- I think employees are happier. In general, MS needed Nadella and Spencer in their new leadership positions.

I am very happy with how things are going.

Literally choked on my coffee. You can't honestly believe that, right?

SMH. Again?

What's there to believe? I look at what is in front of me. Xbox One feels like a fantastic console and MCC console is one fucking amazing set of games for a great price.

I'm sure he had nothing to do with the DRM stuff. Also he was a key player in the $400 million NFL deal which was great for Xbox gamers in a lot of ways.

In interviews he is a lot less tone deaf them Mattrick was or Major Nelson is. Hell of a improvement. MS hasnt had a guy like him since Peter Moore.

Dude is still responsible for a lot of crap though. For every "media apps are now free for all" there is a indie parity clause. For every Sunset Overdrive there is a "we cancelled Black Tusks new game so they can make Gears of War".

kick51

Banned
Phil Spencer has changed my views on Xbox. I am genuinely excited about the future; even if it's weaker than the PS4 it will be a fantastic console with amazing games. Phil pushes for communication with the community. I am sure the workplace at MS has gotten better as well -- I think employees are happier. In general, MS needed Nadella and Spencer in their new leadership positions.

Ok, is this satire of other phil spencer marks

E92 M3

What because he doesn't believe in Phil Spencer?

Because he made statements without any supporting facts. I look at the facts and how I feel. Phil did a lot of good for the brand. At one point I regretted my Xbox purchase - now I am rather satisfied.

I know it's shocking to like Microsoft.

Sulik2

Its a shame Phil wasn't the head of Xbox when they were designing the One. I think we would have a radically different console market today if he had been in charge.

TheF1BOB

Banned
Phils alright, doesn't sound like a washed up car salesman like that Shawn Layden guy.

Tretton was the shit though.

Literally choked on my coffee. You can't honestly believe that, right?

SMH. Again?

Believe it or not, some folks fine value in their Xbone.

I will too in the foreseeable future.

Hoo-doo

Banned

What's there to believe? I look at what is in front of me. Xbox One feels like a fantastic console and MCC console is one fucking amazing set of games for a great price.

Are you on XTC right now?

sangreal

I dunno, it's definitely kind of weird though. This is the first lttp that I've seen of a company executive on GAF.

Yes. It's my dream to see it posted every time the Phil Spencer obsession is brought up here.

I don't know if any were labeled lttp, but last year the forum was overflowing with yosp threads

Bumhead

Banned
He's a company executive and thus has a job to do.

It's important to seperate that from anything else whether you agree with and/or like the guy or not. It's a pretty fundamental fact.

That said, I do believe he's a pretty genuine guy. The gaming industry is a more personal and emotive industry than other tech or business sectors and I think you can tell the businessmen from those who have a genuine interest and passion for their work, even when the passionate guys have to get down to business. And even though a lot of the changes to the Xbox One have been obvious and arguably necessary, it's good that they're happening regardless of if it's a personal or business driven decision.

As a gamer, the Xbox One has become a significantly more compelling product under his watch. He'll do for me.

Yeah, as far as Microsoft 'higher ups' go, he comes across as someone who's actually listening and speaking like a real person.

Obviously he has to tow the company line and all that, but within those boundaries he does a great job of coming across as relatable. Can't imagine there's anyone at MS more suited for the job.

I don't know if any were labeled lttp, but last year the forum was overflowing with yosp threads

Executive 'adoration/respect/whatever you want to call it' thread pops up every now and then. Shu is often the face of that on the Sony side simply because other Sony exec rarely does interviews outside of major conventions.

My thoughts on this? Meh. I have little doubt that Shu, Spencer, etc are all cool dudes who loves video games and are competent at their job, but I like looking at their results and their actions, and on each front, there's pros and cons.

BriGuy

Its a shame Phil wasn't the head of Xbox when they were designing the One. I think we would have a radically different console market today if he had been in charge.

I still think we would be buried in sequels and "safe bets" and have two platforms with 90% identical game libraries. That's just the state of the industry. Dude ain't Jesus.

Top Bottom