• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Pokemon X & WHHHHHYYY

mishakoz

I really liked X and Y although I had two main complaints. First, the framerate isn't good. Several Pokemon would cause the framerate to drop and in 3D it's very very bad. Second was the pacing. The gap between gims 1 and 2 made me think the region was absurdly huge but then you have a streak of gyms which killed that hope. The Team Flare plot also had awful pacing.

One of my favorite things in this game was the 3D pokemon. Finally, it took sooooo long, they feel alive now.

Team flare plot was a joke.

Fewr

I too just finished Y.

I didn't like it much, especially after Black 2 / White 2.
Don't know if I'll bother with X, and definitely won't touch ORAS.
Looking forward to Sun/Moon.

I thought the battles were slow, the pacing of the story was boring (I also left the game in the beginning nrear the battle mansion), and I HATED going to the central city where I coudln't find ANYTHING and even moving about was a pain.

Final team: ninjask, the fire lion, sliggoo (couldn't evolve the thing), hawlucha, the ghost tree, and carbink. I kept switching in and out the electric lizard too.

JoeM86

I too just finished Y.

I didn't like it much, especially after Black 2 / White 2.
Don't know if I'll bother with X, and definitely won't touch ORAS.
Looking forward to Sun/Moon.

I thought the battles were slow, the pacing of the story was boring (I also left the game in the beginning nrear the battle mansion), and I HATED going to the central city where I coudln't find ANYTHING and even moving about was a pain.

Final team: ninjask, the fire lion, sliggoo (couldn't evolve the thing), hawlucha, the ghost tree, and carbink. I kept switching in and out the electric lizard too.

Level 50+ and level it up in an area with natural rain such as Route 19 :)

Fewr

Thanks. I couldn't find rain and kept rushing through the game to get to the end.

My goal is to get a full pokedex, so I'll definitely come back to evolve the thing. Right now, I think I'll focus on finishing Pokemon Blue along with completing the transfer process of all my pokemon to the bank.

woopWOOP

I'm in the process of replaying Y myself. Well, it's more retrying since the first time I gave up on the game shortly after I got that first gym badge. Giving myself a handicap now by playing with no exp share, set mode only and sticking with mid-evolution monsters only. Let's see if I have any chance of beating any Champions this way!

I'm not yet as far in the game as I was back then, but somehow the side characters don't feel as annoying this time around. I guess my adjusted expectations makes the dumb dialogue easier to get through. One thing I've got to give this game credit for tho is what I have heard countless times before: there's a lot of different Pokemon for you to catch from all generations right from the start. I think I've seen about every gen's 'route 1 mammal' appear somewhere by now. Lots of party customisation options is a good thing.

The city black out is the dumbest thing ever tho. Not only do NPC's ignore the bastard that's stopping you, but if you play at night all the lights in the houses behind him are as bright as they ever were. I almost wanted to make thread about it here a few days ago, if there were any other RPGs with as dumb reasons for blocking off areas. Pokemon seemingly always has been on top with that, from grumpy old man lying on the street demanding coffee to researcher trying to analyse his own footsteps.

Hopefully I'll get to finish this one before Sun & Moon's release.
Oh and ORAS isn't bad at all. It's the GBA game in the gen 6's engine with a few more cutscenes and changes. Not sure why people are so down on it.

<tldrl;>I like Pokemon XY!</tldr;>

My first Pokemon was LeafGreen. Loved it! I loved it so much I played a second time through. Maybe there was a certain amount of magic to this being my first experience with Pokemon, but it was a fun yet fairly straightforward game. The core gameplay was solid, and the game flowed nicely with no distracting add on content.

Next was Emerald. Liked it a lot, so revisiting Hoen in ORAS is kind of tempting. But this game introduced the first of the distractions: Pokemon contests. Ick. I guess I felt compelled to do some since they were there, but they took away from the core experience a little.

Then came D/P Platinum. Ugh. This is when I really stalled on Pokemon. So many side things to do which distracted from the main game, and eventually I just stalled. I have most of the special event legendaries in both Diamond and Platinum, but doubt I've moved past the first gym in Platinum. I suspect all those extra features were great for someone with plenty of time on their hands (like kids), but for a responsible (LOL) adult with limited game time yet classic gamers OCD of wanting to experience and complete everything, it turned into too much of a time sink.

Pokemon Black & White: Thought I'd give it another try. I liked this one better, but for some reason stalled mid way again. Again all the side things were distracting, and I'd put the game away. But I did like a lot of the new Pokemon.

Pokemon XY: Really enjoying it again! There's a lot to do in the game, but it doesn't seem to force itself on you the way DP and XY did. Probably the biggest seller was the graphical modernization. For the first time it felt like I was playing a modern handheld Pokemon game instead of a rehashed GameBoy title.

Holding off a bit on ORAS, but assuming I finish XY I might give it a shot. I'll just have to ignore contests if they are still in there. I refuse to speculate on Sun & Moon until it is released.

jnWake

One of my favorite things in this game was the 3D pokemon. Finally, it took sooooo long, they feel alive now.

Team flare plot was a joke.

I love the 3D graphics too. I meant the 3D effect on the 3DS. It's really not usable in the game thanks to the framerate.

What really killed it for me was the awful rollerskate controls. Walking/running is too slow, but the rollerskate is way too fast and the controls horribly floaty. Literally the only two things you do in overworlds in Pokemon games is walk around and press A. How could they have possibly screwed up movement considering it's one of two things total?

You're going to be bored out of your mind playing oras. It's about as easy but at least XY had Pokemon variety in every route so you had a lot to choose from.

Koren

I seem to be the only person that actually enjoyed X and Y...
No, I really enjoyed it too. I don't always understand why it's not liked more.

What really killed it for me was the awful rollerskate controls. Walking/running is too slow, but the rollerskate is way too fast and the controls horribly floaty.
I actually really like the rollerskates... Most of the time, moving is boring, I find the controls interesting because a bit challenging..

Skip ORAS and hold on two months until Sun & Moon.
I agree, unless he wants to breed. I don't know whether the DexNav will return on Gen 7, but it's a truly wonderful thing to find interesting parents for breeding.

indask8

Good thing about this game:

- Character personnalisation, sadly we'll likely never see it again.
- Music is good.
- Wonder Trade.

Bad things:

-Story is forgettable, actually I've pretty much forgotten it all..
- Tipping, have the game creators ever visited France ? (Masuda did), or did they had a bad experience? At least it's optional.
- Feels like a launch game... except it came out late in 3DS life I'd probably have been more positive about it if it came at launch.
- Post game content.

Surprisingly I have enjoyed a lot OR/AS, like every remake game it did not disappoint me.

I'm warming up to it after restarting and sticking with it. I think what saved it for me is Kalos itself and it feels a bit more like you're traveling in a group. I'm still only like half way through though. The regional dex is probably the most disappointing part, after coming from gen 5's completely unique regional dex.

mishakoz

Good thing about this game:

- Character personnalisation, sadly we'll likely never see it again.
- Music is good.
- Wonder Trade.

Bad things:

-Story is forgettable, actually I've pretty much forgotten it all..
- Tipping, have the game creators ever visited France ? (Masuda did), or did they had a bad experience? At least it's optional.
- Feels like a launch game... except it came out late in 3DS life I'd probably have been more positive about it if it came at launch.
- Post game content.

Surprisingly I have enjoyed a lot OR/AS, like every remake game it did not disappoint me.

Ugh, Im an idiot. I spent the whole game thinking "This is supposed to be New York?"

Thats Black and White. Like I said, im an idiot.

It was the generation that finally pulled me back in. IV almost killed the franchise for me. V had its improvements but ultimately was boring as hell. VI was perfect blend for nostalgia and new factors and made me put in over 300 hours. I'm currently 40 Pokemon shy of a Living Dex which I have never ever done before.

I think Sun and Moon is going to make up for XY and ORAS.

The horribly underwhelming single player in XY was a bummer for me, because the competitive scene still had too many barriers. The breeding was way too slow even after the online trading. I really had no reason to ever touch Y again after beating the Elite 4.

Ultimately, I still need Sun and Moon to deliver on the campaign, but the ability to improve IVs means that I may enter the competitive scene for the first time ever. Now that I'll be able to get the Pokemon, I can actually strategize and play!

Alola looks like a great region, and it seems the formula is actually getting some real adjustments.

There aren't that many additions, and not a lot of interesting type combinations that could have been added.

I agreed with most but not this. There's a ton of new combos, including new "concepts" like Normal being a subtyping and Flying a main typing.

Normal/Ground
Fire/Normal
Electric/Normal
Steel/Ghost
Dark/Psychic
Poison/Dragon
Rock/Dragon
Rock/Ice
Ghost/Grass
Flying/Dragon

Then later you have ORAS' Ghost/Psychic and Water/Fire

And not to mention all the new or retyped Fairy combos.

Ezalc

Yeah the game was shit, but it gave us some cool new pokemon like Hawlucha. The region is still pretty garbage though.

Matriox

I wouldn't skip oras.. I despised x and y but loved oras personally, with sun/moon around the corner I wouldn't burn yourself out if that's possible, but if it isn't I'd recommend oras.

XY is by far the worst game in the entire series (at least Gen IV, such as D/P suffered from gameplay issues that were fixed in Pt). The story is utter shit considering they were trying to put a lot of emphasis like they did in BW, B2W2, only to fall flat on their face. Team Flare is a huge disappointment from what we had in Gen V with Team Plasma (not to mention, GF was so lazy that they rehashed the conclusion where the player is supposed to learn that all opinions matter and that you can't just force your ideas on people. Does that sound familiar? That's the exact same message that Gen V was focused on). Gameplay is braindead and they neutered any semblance of challenge when they maxed Gym Leaders pokemon to 3. Plotlines are ultimately wasted (such as AZ being given the spotlight but doing nothing of significance), and the entire journey feels like a colossal waste of time with how handholdy Kalos exploration is (you'd have to be worse than braindead to be stuck at a particular point as they made it easier than Unova, which is saying a LOT). The uninteresting story only compounds how terrible the journey is.

ORAS was an improvement, but it was still held back in some ways. Rather than use it to celebrate all that was in Gen III (like HGSS was to Gen II), they focused solely on RS, leading to weird design choices that we already saw pre-Emerald. For instance, the game wants you to see both Aqua and Magma's perspective but because of game exclusives, we only really see the relevant side's POV, and the opposite side is relegated to a dialogue dump. Emerald had the right idea, and I have no idea why they stuck to their content exclusive shenanigans instead of trying to tell a better and larger narrative that we saw in Emerald. Not to mention, having BOTH Aqua and Magma as well as the legendaries they're after leading to a climactic battle works a lot better from a story perspective than just simply having one legendary throw the weather out of balance. Gameplay is slightly more challenging, but again, they cut off at RS instead of adding in Emerald improvements such as PokeNav rematches actually changing after 4 times (and with this, I'm specifically talking about gym leaders). No Battle Frontier hurts quite a bit considering that I've already played the Maison...and that their reasoning for cutting it is insanely stupid.

I think Gen VI can be summed up as this: GameFreak not realizing that they have a lot of people interested in their products who aren't kids (especially those who grew up from Gen I, which makes pandering all the more weird when they can't even offer better gameplay elements such as difficulty selection). Pokemon Go also shows this with their user base. That being said, there are ways to appease both sides without having to neuter your demographics. Quite a shame considering just how well-crafted Gen V were.

mishakoz

Bold move OP going with that Dragon team in a post Fairy type world.

I didnt start out that way. I had Charizard and Geninja for most of the run but picked up 3 dragons at the end because i wasnt feeling either of them. I was already passed the fairy gym and the ice gym was a breeze. Champion was the only thing a little difficult with her surprise mega gardevior.

But yeah, I hate Fairy type. Its dumb and it nerfed dragons. Dragons were this hard to catch/hard to raise group of pokemon that were supposed to be risk/reward. Now they are just like any other type.

I didnt start out that way. I had Charizard and Geninja for most of the run but picked up 3 dragons at the end because i wasnt feeling either of them. I was already passed the fairy gym and the ice gym was a breeze. Champion was the only thing a little difficult with her surprise mega gardevior.

But yeah, I hate Fairy type. Its dumb and it nerfed dragons. Dragons were this hard to catch/hard to raise group of pokemon that were supposed to be risk/reward. Now they are just like any other type.

Dragon type really needed a nerf, so Fairy type was a significant update to the battle system.

I'm not a fan of Mega Evolutions, particular because of how poorly implemented and imbalanced they've been.

Top Bottom