• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Portal (cake is a lie)

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Just played Portal for the first time last night. Knocked it out in one sitting.

First off, what a great and clever game. Awesome to play a FPS with no actual shooting.

2nd the game still looks great. I played it at 1440p 144hz and I was really impressed with how the graphics looked and how the game felt.

I played Half Life 1 and its sequels a year or 2 ago. Next i need to play HL2 and Portal 2.

wondermega

I finally sat down and put Portal 2 through its paces a little over a year ago, it had been a good decade since I played pt 1. Incredible experience. Don't use any cheats or hints!

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I finally sat down and put Portal 2 through its paces a little over a year ago, it had been a good decade since I played pt 1. Incredible experience. Don't use any cheats or hints!

ya i made it through portal 1 without looking up anything. I was only stuck a bit near the very end of the game but i managed to figure it out on my own.

wondermega

ya i made it through portal 1 without looking up anything. I was only stuck a bit near the very end of the game but i managed to figure it out on my own.
Yeah I seem to remember only one part of the first game giving me any real pause. There's definitely a few in the second which will absolutely make you tear your hair out, and I probably spent an embarrassingly long time on one or two of them, but I stuck to my guns and I am sooooo glad I did because beating those goddamn puzzles was probably the highlight of my year, haha

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I'm gonna take a guess that it was this part:

eKgaSnC.png

That one got me in my first playthrough. They never use breaking those tubes as a mechanic before / after so my brain just didn't compute it, I ended up stacking props to hop into the vent :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Just played Portal for the first time last night. Knocked it out in one sitting.

First off, what a great and clever game. Awesome to play a FPS with no actual shooting.

2nd the game still looks great. I played it at 1440p 144hz and I was really impressed with how the graphics looked and how the game felt.

I played Half Life 1 and its sequels a year or 2 ago. Next i need to play HL2 and Portal 2.

Now find a buddy and play portal 2 coop if u finished the story. You won't regret it. You can also download user made maps.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I'm gonna take a guess that it was this part:

eKgaSnC.png

That one got me in my first playthrough. They never use breaking those tubes as a mechanic before / after so my brain just didn't compute it, I ended up stacking props to hop into the vent :messenger_grinning_sweat:

It absolutely was this part.

I tried stacking chairs and stuff but they kept falling over I couldnt get high enough.

I figured it was the rocket and the tube but i couldnt figure the angle. I got it eventually.

• Empathy
Reactions: AV

poodaddy

Adored Portal and still do. In terms of simple charm and brilliant design, as well as dry humor, it may very well be one of the best of all time. Still love the credits music as well.

Weird that I haven't made time to beat Portal 2 considering how much I loved the first. I really need to get to that.

Great games (Portal 2 is still one of my favorite games ever) but yea. The whole "Cake is a Lie" thing became probably one of the most obnoxious and dumb gamer memes ever.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I've been working my way through the series too. Finished, Half-Life 1, Blue Shift, Opposing Force, Black Mesa, HL2:MMod and Episode 1 over the last 4 mos. or so, need to finish Episode 2 and then Portal 2 and then I'll play through Alyx.

Such a fun and interesting world. I was digging deep into the lore and history of Half-Life/Portal and it was so fascinating and then depressing knowing that we'll likely never get closure.

If you plan on playing through HL2 again I'd highly suggest the lore-friendly version of MMod. It really improves a lot on the graphics while not going too overboard.
MF09osd.jpg

0yYFQ3A.jpg

Also, don't skip on Portal 2's co-op. It is it's own unique story and is very fun. If you need a co-op partner I'd be glad to dust off the cobwebs and playthrough it again.

Last edited:

DonF

I love portal 1, and it's a perfect one sitting game! Portal 2 is everything portal 1 did but greater. I love both games and both are perfect to me.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Just an update to this I played and finished Portal 2 over the weekend. Managed to complete the game as well without checking any solutions. I thought it was a great game but not as good as part 1. You spend too much time traversing the underground and back areas and not enough with true puzzle rooms which are the best part IMO.

Currently playing the coop missions with a friend now.

Anyone have any recs for similar feeling puzzle games? Dont have to be First person, just a similar sense of a set of rules and a solution that is difficult to figure but not insanely difficult.

Last edited:
Just an update to this I played and finished Portal 2 over the weekend. Managed to complete the game as well without checking any solutions. I thought it was a great game but not as good as part 1. You spend too much time traversing the underground and back areas and not enough with true puzzle rooms which are the best part IMO.

Anyone have any recs for similar feeling puzzle games? Dont have to be First person, just a similar sense of a set of rules and a solution that is difficult to figure but not insanely difficult.
Try The Turing test.

Soodanim

Gold Member

The co-op stuff is an entirely unique half of the game (from what I remember)) that some people don’t ever get to experience, and that’s a shame. I enjoyed all of it on PS3 with a friend, and we were one trophy away from platinum (never got around to finishing it).

Portal 1 wasn’t topped by the sequel, but I appreciate that it went in a different direction and did something a Portal 1.5 couldn’t do. The characters brought something new and helped flesh out that world. I enjoyed the journey through the various eras. Did you find or look into the various easter eggs? They give some story insight that isn’t explicitly given to you and they’re easily missed.

SpiceRacz

One of my favorite gaming experiences ever. I experienced Portal in one sitting, like you, and went into it completely blind. Still need to play Portal 2 though.

If you're looking for something similar, I cannot recommend The Talos Principle enough. It's a longer, more challenging game. I've spent hours on some of the puzzles. Also has an interesting story, if you're looking for that.

lem0n

I'd love to be able to play the Portal games for the first time again. They're honestly some of my favorite games ever! Portal 2 is a masterpiece.

CeeJay

I never played The witness. But if it's really that hard I'd rather not to.

Another suggestion: Quantum Conundrum
I've not played all the games in the 1st person puzzle genre but The Witness is right up there with Portal for me. Portal has it on fast sublime movement which is superb but The Witness is incredible in its own right and beats out everything everywhere else for me. The Witness is a masterclass.in starting simple and then steadily building on what you already know. There isn't a linear path through the game as such but it does teach you logically one step at a time new skills that you need for the later puzzles, if you get stuck, explore and you might find the solution to a puzzle that previously stumped you. It's never unfair and does make you feel feel really clever when you figure something out. The way the game builds up from simple basic concepts upto to sublimely clever and difficult tasks is something that any puzzle fan needs to play. It never repeats itself and rarely follows commonly used puzzle clichés found in other games so always feels fresh at every step of the way and often very surprising. You will need to look at solutions to some of the puzzles because they are so diverse and varied in their required skillsets that only a genius would possess them all. But, it's not one of those kind of games that makes you feel like you have to give up once you do go looking for a solution because it's gone beyond your capability. Looking at some solutions mearly puts you back on the right track and you will get a lot further before feeling like you need help again. The world that Jonathan blow created in The Witness is absolutly georgeous with a superb art style full of rich little vignettes alluding to a bigger, wider and more mysterious over arching story. Don't miss this game if you are at all interested in puzzlers and enjoyed other 1st person games in this genre.

Marvel14

Banned

Portal 2 is the best....brilliantly atmospheric and original story.

Shout out to Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons for awesome voice work.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Portal 2 is the best....brilliantly atmospheric and original story.

Shout out to Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons for awesome voice work.

I preferred part 1. The puzzels were better.

Portal 2 was cool, a lot of atmosphere and as you said great voice work. But in terms of a puzzle game I thought 1 was better.

Marvel14

Banned
I preferred part 1. The puzzels were better.

Portal 2 was cool, a lot of atmosphere and as you said great voice work. But in terms of a puzzle game I thought 1 was better.
I can't comment as I never played 1 properly but I loved how Portal2 changes when you escape the testing chambers and you essentially have to work out progression on your own with very little guidance.

I started 1 and stopped quickly as I got the sense that it was all testing chambers.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Portal 2's puzzles were a letdown after the original. Part of that has to do with knowledge of the first game and part of that has to do with how they were designed. They felt more streamlined and less like a sandbox. Both are great games but Portal is easily my favorite.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Dont think I need a new thread but I started Half Life 2. Graphics are really good, lighting etc. The mood of the city is great.

THe hoverboat part was a bit long, I thought it could have been shorter. I just finished it so I am looking forward to getting back on my feet so to speak.

Shmunter

Dont think I need a new thread but I started Half Life 2. Graphics are really good, lighting etc. The mood of the city is great.

THe hoverboat part was a bit long, I thought it could have been shorter. I just finished it so I am looking forward to getting back on my feet so to speak.
Personally I found the boat part to be a nice highlight with the quiet sense of desolation. But I can se how it could feel drawn out.

Kev Kev

I loved exploring the doo doo river and finding hidden caches along the way. It was a nice change of pace. But yeah you are definitely ready to get back on land by the end of it. It’s kind of a long section. The good news is some of my favorite parts of the game are after the boat section!

Sound like it’s your first time playing HL2 DGrayson DGrayson ??? If so, enjoy it, I still think it holds up and I find something I didn’t notice before or a new creative way to approach situations every time I play it. I’m sure I speak for a lot of people when I say I wish I could go back and experience it for the first time all over again.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I loved exploring the doo doo river and finding hidden caches along the way. It was a nice change of pace. But yeah you are definitely ready to get back on land by the end of it. It’s kind of a long section. The good news is some of my favorite parts of the game are after the boat section!

Sound like it’s your first time playing HL2 DGrayson DGrayson ??? If so, enjoy it, I still think it holds up and I find something I didn’t notice before or a new creative way to approach situations every time I play it. I’m sure I speak for a lot of people when I say I wish I could go back and experience it for the first time all over again.

Ya first time. Played HL1 and its spinoffs (Blue Shift, Opposing Force) a couple years ago. Recently played Portal 1 and 2. Currently playing Portal 2 Coop with a friend.

Decided to play HL2 as well. Never played it before. I wasnt PC gaming in the 2000s.

Marvel14

Banned

Half Life 2 caused me Serious nausea. The screams, moans, gore and movement together really did something strange to my internal balance.

Top Bottom