• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

LTTP: Prey uhhh?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Feb 28, 2014
It's a damn good game. Definitely in my top 5 of last gen, maybe in the top three. Great story. Great characters. Great enemies. Great combat. Great setting. Truly great, great GREAT level design. It delivered on every level, it's a real masterpiece.

Dec 4, 2018
I mean I’ve seen people mention this game here and there and saying it’s pretty good. I was a little pissed off they cancelled the original Prey 2 back in the day so I never gave it a shot. But I figure hey it’s free on gamepass might as well give it a shot and... WHAT??? This is legitimately one of the best games I’ve ever played. Ever. I’m actually kinda mind blown this isn’t higher ranked by people or put on all time lists. It’s almost like when I played half life for the first time. I’m absolutely shocked at how good this game is.

I don’t tend to give props to corporations but damn Microsoft buying Zenimax was a bigger power move than I thought. Like I love the elder scrolls stuff and fallout but this and Doom Eternal have been two of the best games I’ve played in ages if they can keep this type of quality holy shit.

I think the branding really hurt the game more than it helped. using the Prey brand was most likely done to raise some eyebrows, but it only turned people off because it wasn't really a new Prey game.
on the other hand it might have helped the game gather some publicity... so who knows...

also the really bad performance on most consoles hurt it as well... the only System that ran it decently well was the One X, people who are interested should either get it on PC (best option by far due to Mouse controls really helping in games where you constantly click on small objects + FOV slider) or Series X (due to FPS Boost)

but yeah it is easily one of the absolute best 8th gen games. a brilliant Immersive Sim.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: lostinblue

lostinblue

Dec 22, 2008
also the really bad performance on most consoles hurt it as well... the only System that ran it decently well was the One X, people who are interested should either get it on PC (best option by far due to Mouse controls really helping in games where you constantly click on small objects + FOV slider) or Series X (due to FPS Boost)
It ran pretty well on base PS4, locked/stable 30 fps at 1080p.

Only issue was a bit of input lag not present on Xbox and PC versions.

Stock Xbox One I know ran at 900p, but don't know how stable. That said, I doubt it was one of the worst Xbox One offenders, I dunno.

Dec 4, 2018
It ran pretty well on base PS4, locked/stable 30 fps at 1080p.

Only issue was a bit of input lag not present on Xbox and PC versions.

Stock Xbox One I know ran at 900p, but don't know how stable. That said, I doubt it was one of the worst Xbox One offenders, I dunno.

the input lag was absolutely horrible, extensive lag is way worse than framedrops. framedrops make a game look bad, constant input lag make a game play bad. and that is especially true in a game like Prey where you are constantly looking at and picking up small objects. I only played the demo on PS4 but I can't even imaging playing that game with input lag, it was bad enough in the duration of the demo (which I didn't even play for that long)

so yeah, the only good option for (now) last gen systems is the One X. PC is still by far the best way to go due to mouse controls, stable performance on highest settings (it runs at a perfect 60fps on my GTX1070 at 1440p at basically max settings) and FOV slider (the FOV on console is a little low, not terrible but a little low)

PC > Series X > One X > only play on the following systems if you absolutely have no other choice One/One S > PS4 Pro > PS4

Prey is one of the very few Cryengine games that doesn't run like complete ass, but it is still suboptimal. I actually started it on One X and it was enjoyable enough on it but ultimately (half way through) I decided to just get the PC version for 10 bucks and start over (totally worth it)
Actually plays really well with a DualSense controller with Gyro Aim enabled through DS4Windows (I have it set up so every time I touch the touchpad gyro aim goes on), that's how I play it on the TV from time to time. on the PC desk I just use Mouse and Keyboard of course

Last edited:

lostinblue

Dec 22, 2008
the input lag was absolutely horrible, extensive lag is way worse than framedrops. framedrops make a game look bad, constant input lag make a game play bad. and that is especially true in a game like Prey where you are constantly looking at and picking up small objects. I only played the demo on PS4 but I can't even imaging playing that game with input lag, it was bad enough in the duration of the demo (which I didn't even play for that long)
The PS4 demo somehow has it even worse and was never patched.

The final game somehow improved it a bit, but still shipped with a 217 ms latency (they probably reduced the dead zone of the joysticks and other textbook tweaks that make laggy games more responsive - but that can introduce drifting on wobbly joysticks). Further updates kept improving it (or mentioning improvements in the release notes) , until 1.04 made it really responsive on PS4 but introduced stuttering, uneven framepacing and problems on all console releases. Patch 1.05 and some further patches on PS4 were in the 133ms latency ballpark with good framepacing. With update 10.10 in mid 2018 they were still name dropping latency updates.

Anyway, I played it two years ago and while I think there was indeed a bit of latency, but it wasn't too much. I played it on a Panasonic Plasma, which adds 16,7ms input lag to the equation. I'm tempted to go back and test it, but 133ms (150ms with the TV lag) is pretty normal for a 30 fps game that isn't a first person shooter. I reckon it usually becomes really evident only after the 166 ms threshold. But if you are used to 60 fps on PC your mileage "going back" may vary, first person will definitely make it more noticeable.

On Xbox One latency was never bad, and it is considered a good port, only caveat is that it runs at 900p and has low texture filtering/some pop-up (probably same as base PS4). I saw no mention of framedrops or anything being broken.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Nov 22, 2018
I tried this game when it was on the game pass before and something felt off,the game movement made me sick.Only a few games have ever done this(bioshock 1 pc,dying light ps4) maybe it was motion blur or something? I want to try it again but worry about getting sick again :(

RGB'D

Jul 24, 2020
Just wanted to resurrect this thread and express how this game is an absolute masterpiece. It got buried among a bunch of releases when it came out and although i bought it, it was lost to the backlog. Installed on PC Gamepass with the downtime in new games and am blown away with how incredible this game is. Playing on a SSD makes it so much easier. If you are looking for a game to play and haven't played this game, jump in. It's up there with one of the best games I've ever played. Please make a Prey (Arkane) sequel as well as release/update Prey 2 (Roundhouse).

Reactions: Gandih42 and rofif