• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Prey uhhh?

I mean I’ve seen people mention this game here and there and saying it’s pretty good. I was a little pissed off they cancelled the original Prey 2 back in the day so I never gave it a shot. But I figure hey it’s free on gamepass might as well give it a shot and... WHAT??? This is legitimately one of the best games I’ve ever played. Ever. I’m actually kinda mind blown this isn’t higher ranked by people or put on all time lists. It’s almost like when I played half life for the first time. I’m absolutely shocked at how good this game is.

I don’t tend to give props to corporations but damn Microsoft buying Zenimax was a bigger power move than I thought. Like I love the elder scrolls stuff and fallout but this and Doom Eternal have been two of the best games I’ve played in ages if they can keep this type of quality holy shit.

You've convinced me to install another Gamepass game and struggle to find time to play it. I've always wanted to play Prey, I've got no excuse not to now.

GHG

Gold Member
One of the best games of the generation and in my all time favourites list.

It was even sweeter because I didn't expect it due to them stupidly marketing the game as if it were some bog standard shooter. If not for the pre release demo that was available I wouldn't have known it was an immersive sim.

Last edited:

TIGERCOOL

was enjoying it well enough but after about 5 hours I started to see all the usual tropes of the genre appear and just kind of lost the desire to play. feel like SOMA captured the same vibe more effectively despite the obvious gameplay loop differences. Seemed like a pretty good game though will probably force myself to play it again some day

One of the best games of the generation and in my all time favourites list.

It was even sweeter because I didn't expect it due to them stupidly marketing the game as if it were some bog standard shooter. If not for the pre release demo that was available I wouldn't have known it was an immersive sim.

Just echoing my sediments exactly

Sentenza

Not gonna lie. You got me after the first sentence.
I thought it was yet another comment to bitch on the cancelled game and diss this one and I was ready to tell you what a fucking waste of skin you were.

It's one of the best immersive sims in the last decade. Not flawless, but when it's good, it's pretty damn good.
Joseph Anderson had a pretty damn good review for it:

Last edited:

_Ex_

I'm so old I thought you were talking about this:

6272_front.jpg

Stuart360

Its a genuine top teir game, but unfortunately only sold average, so a sequel is doubtful, unless Microsoft think its worth another shot.
I get the feeling a lot of poeple were like you OP, they were pissed off about Prey2 and didnt give the game a shot. I even didnt play it until about a year after release.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
79-D89496-8927-4-D46-8239-8-B683-E523-C47.jpg

6-E33-E117-5760-4-DA9-BD82-8-F91-AB8952-F1.png

It has a lot of good Shock vibes to it. Awesome aesthetics too. The DLC isn’t bad. My only gripe was that it wasn’t story based. The music was good to listen to, especially during the time where 80’s stuff was sorta coming back due to Stranger Things being popular.

For a moment I did think of Prey on Xbox 360. That game was decent once you got past the intro. It was also very short. I think the gunplay, weapons, and the area you were exploring weren't terrible. If I remember that game also had a very long development cycle too.

Varteras

Gold Member
Considering just how bad Human Head Studios was, you probably weren't missing anything with whatever Prey 2 was going to be. Arkane's take on it was interesting and it was a good game but as others pointed out it didn't sell well and so it's probably the last we'll see of this franchise for a long time, if ever again.

Hugare

Love everything from Arkhane, but I kinda hated Prey

Wasn't able to finish it, which is surprising, 'cause again, I LOVE games like these. Dishonored 2 is one of my favorites of the gen, very underrated.

But this: combat sucked, you fight some blobs for the whole game, story didnt grab me, art design is samey ...

Soundtrack was amazing, but sound mixing was attrocious.

That garbage recycle mechanic is literaly, well, garbage. Just boring stuff.

Level design was great tho. Was fun to try "breaking" the game with the glue gun, going places that I shouldnt reach and etc.

Want to give it another chance in the future

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
I think the difficulty curve put a lot of people off first time around, It was too easy to find yourself in (seemingly) unwinnable scenario's because of running out of resources, mostly ammo, which was too restricted in the amounts given out or materials needed to manufacture some.

I get why they did that, 'We want you to think your way around problems, not shoot them' but the game was primarily marketed as a shooter, not a thinker and people didn't like the reality of it when they first played it.

SkylineRKR

As per Arcane, level design is a masterclass. The entire space station connects masterfully.

However, the input lag and load times were horrible, and so were the respawning enemies (most of them weren't interesting). But if you know what you're doing, you can become hilariously overpowered. I'm going to replay it once its upgraded, and once I'm done with FFVII hard mode.

Last edited:

breakfuss

This isn’t considered horror is it? Or have jump scares? I don’t do that shit but would love to give this a go.

FrozenFlame

This isn’t considered horror is it? Or have jump scares? I don’t do that shit but would love to give this a go.
Well, considering one of the enemy mechanics, I would say it has jump scares although, if I remember correctly, the music ruins it (aka makes you prepared for the jump scare).

SJRB

Gold Member
Unfortunately it has quite a lot of jump scares, because certain enemies disguise themselves as everyday items and then jump you when you come close.

The music cues kinda prepare you but there are definately multiple occasions where they jumpscare by design.

This gets easier later down the line when you get gear that helps you identify the disguises.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
The game was very enjoyable, but I really didn't like the idea of respawning enemies when you return to the same locations. I wish the devs added an option in one of the patches to be able to turn off the respawns. I'd gladly replay the game for a different ending if that happened.

mcz117chief

I really REALLY liked the first few hours but then it just becomes quite mundane and average. I remember playing it for like two days straight and then just stopped and only finished it like a year or two later. I think the biggest problem is that the most interesting enemy in the game, the mimics, are stupidly weak and pose literally ZERO threat. This problem is further compounded by your extremely deadly abilities and resilience upgrades. After about 10 hours I became so stupidly powerful I easily killed every single enemy in the game with the basic pistol in seconds. At that point all the tension is gone and you are just running around in a mediocre shooter playing as the terminator. Really, the last 10 hours is just boring ass fetch quests and spending most of your time in elevators and loading screens.

So, the beginning is definitely a 10/10 but as the game progresses it drops heavily to like a 6 or 5.

nkarafo

Any game that uses the System Shock 2 template can't be bad.

PREY is probably the best of the bunch though.

SJRB

Gold Member
I think Prey is almost, ALMOST a masterpiece but is ultimately held back by some annoying bits that sucked the fun out of the entire experience for me.

- Enemies respawn too fast, especially in hub areas like the lobby and the Arboretum;
- Some [most] enemies, though creative, are just not fun to fight. The mimics move way too fast/unpredictable, the Cystoids and Potergeists are extremely annoying;
- Way too much backtracking in certain segments, which isn't helped by all the loading screens in between;
- Just when you think the game is over it adds an EXTREMELY annoying segment that I really, really hated. It sucked the wind out of the pacing and it didn't help that the enemies they throw into the mix are even less fun to fight than the Typhon.

You know I sometimes wish this game had a non-combat mode where you can play the entire game without combat encounters. Just explore Talos I, enjoy the environmental storytelling, piece things together as you go.

That said, the atmosphere, art style, audio design, storytelling, overall design of Talos I, the music... It's just incredible.

Last edited:

Miles708

I've only tried the demo and, while interesting, it was also completely unplayable on base PS4 due to input lag. Usually I'm not very sensitive on this, but Prey really is crap, control-wise. Honestly this is unacceptable.

At least, assuming the full game has the same problems as the demo.

Vindicator

The Atmosphere makes up for the sluggish controls imo.
Great game - triple-dipped + artbook & guide and went for the plat on PS4, might have to finish Mooncrash, only started on PS but will continue on Steam.
The Bioshock in space comparison is still funny.

Bramble

Tried to like it a few times. Love the art design and environments, but the gameplay is very sluggish and the enemies are more annoying and boring than they are scary. Dropped it after about 10 hours.

turtlepowa

Banned
Prey was a great game, in my opinion heavily underrated. Guess it didn't have enough Walking + Talking, scripted scenes, videos and QTEs to become more attention.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

it is just an ok game for me at least which is a shame because it could have been so much better. My biggest gripes are lack of enemy variety, combat which is pretty mehh and story which again is just mehh. On plus side level design is on point, the whole atmosphere is great and music/sound is overall good

Juza

Yeah, I really hate what they did with Prey 2 but that has nothing to do with Arkane's Prey! this game is a successful example of how to inject the old-school FPS features into modern FPS games.
I haven't truly enjoyed playing such an immersive-sim game since Deus Ex.

Credit to Ricardo Bare, Chris Avellone, Raphael Colantonio, they did a great job with this game.

GymWolf

Like other people said, the biggest flaw in the game are the enemies.

The only Fun type is the little shit who can transform, but the big ones are lame as hell.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
I like it but I also thought the aliens comes of as some subpar gimmick, it's a cool concept but lackluster the deeper you get into the game. Deserves a sequel.

I mean I’ve seen people mention this game here and there and saying it’s pretty good. I was a little pissed off they cancelled the original Prey 2 back in the day so I never gave it a shot. But I figure hey it’s free on gamepass might as well give it a shot and... WHAT??? This is legitimately one of the best games I’ve ever played. Ever. I’m actually kinda mind blown this isn’t higher ranked by people or put on all time lists. It’s almost like when I played half life for the first time. I’m absolutely shocked at how good this game is.

I don’t tend to give props to corporations but damn Microsoft buying Zenimax was a bigger power move than I thought. Like I love the elder scrolls stuff and fallout but this and Doom Eternal have been two of the best games I’ve played in ages if they can keep this type of quality holy shit.
Welcome to the club. Go spread the word. We need more people to know about it.

❤️

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's really good, the GOAT talk is a little overstated but it was definitely in my top 10 in 2017.

Be really cool if MS pump money into Arkane to make Prey 2, and hell, I'd take a Dishonored 3 even if 2 fell a little flat for me.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
One of my favourite games of all time, such a refreshing experience with great attention to exploration, atmosphere, player freedom etc.

Only negative is how lazy the Typhon are outside of the Mimics, the other enemies felt so lazy compared to those little fuckers.

Top Bottom