• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Prey uhhh?

Bartski

Gold Member
I somehow didn't like the demo much back when it released but now waiting for the XsX fps boost to give it a second chance. Thanks Phil

RAIDEN1

I'm so old I thought you were talking about this:

6272_front.jpg
This game DESERVED a sequel, and not a re-boot, additionally it was one of the few games, where the main character you play is native american, which is very rare.....

Prey 2016 nails EVERYTHING. Style reminds me of good Shin Megami Tensei a little, definitely better than most WRPG's. It's colourful but dark, plays a lot with shadows, it's very corridor-esque but then it isn't. (meaning it's not corridor-esque because it can't render a huge drawdistance)

Graphics are great as is presentation - entry section with the helicopter is awesome, going back to it after it's not working and understanding how all the smoke and mirrors actually worked is genius - I mean seeing how you were fooled is never part of the expedition, the team actually thinking about it and implementing it is such an extra mile to go. This subplot of places you visit is EVERYWHERE and it really tells a story, it also builds suspense. Even enemies are tied to it, and speak meaningless things that mean something in an echo-like manner. And people, even though mostly dead seem like they were alive either by the trail of their e-mails, placement and even absence.

Subplot is everywhere and it is interesting, a bit like an expanded entry section of metroid prime. The Mimics are like a minigame of find the deja vu, by the end of the game you're well versed in spotting them - which is interesting. Most objects can be interacted with and have physics, something the fallout team argues you need their crappy engine to do.

It's not too long, and has a good set of original tools, like recycler grenades and the glue gun. It really has a lot of soul and variety, by the time you reach the end it doesn't seem like it was long, on the opposite, you kinda wish there was more.

Easily the best game of the generation for me. It'll age like fine wine, and more people should play it. It's an eye opener, an embassador for games that only has an equal this generation with Nier Automata - but it is better. (a bit of a similar setting though, now that I think of it)

I should warn people though, Prey 2016 was the brainchild of Creative Director Raphael Colantonio and the game's polish is in direct correlation of what he poured into the project (he poured everything). In the end it feels like a farewell from AAA development, he left Arkane in 2017 and set up a smaller 20 people studio. He wants to spend more time with his kid, and I reckon he stated he did everything he wanted to do with Prey. It really is his Magnum Opus, emphasis on his.

This to say that, I'd love to see a Prey 2, but if this game is merely emulating what Prey 1 did, it'll fail comparatively. They need a guy who has ideas and wants to prove himself to even attempt a sequel - and that might be why it isn't happening.
This game DESERVED a sequel, and not a re-boot, additionally it was one of the few games, where the main character you play is native american, which is very rare.....
I bought it recently, but haven't played it yet.

Regardless, in a perfect world those guys would have made Prey 2 (the cancelation didn't make sense), and this game would still exist. But I don't imagine for a second that we didn't get the better game with Prey 2016.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
I loved the game as well, there was a lot of bad publicity around the game because it wasn't the Prey that people wanted (I felt the same way).

I only gave it a shot because Mack from WAB highly recommended it and I wasn't disappointed. A superb game that we will unfortunately and most likely never get a follow up to...unless the Microsoft acquisition changes that.

Sevenfold

Talos 1 is a fucking joy to explore.

It hurts to this day how badly this game did sales wise.

What is the best difficulty?
  • Easy – This one is meant for players interested only in seeing how to story unflods. It offers minimal challenge. You won’t have to be economic with your ammo, and you won’t have to worry too much where you invest your skill points. If you’re new to this type of game, this is the one you should pick. You’ll deal high damage and receive minimal damage.
  • Normal – This setting is meant for players already familiar with the genre, but aren’t too interested in a challenge. The description reads: “Use your wits, weapons and abilities to survive”. If you’re looking for the way the developers intended it to be, this is it. Expect a few close calls here and there, but nothing too taxing.
  • Hard – When you hover over it, the game warns you: “Your wits are the only thing that will keep you alive.” This one was meant for hardened veterans, people familiar with the trappings of the genre, and generally, those interested in a proper challenge. You’ll have to conserve ammo, and think long and hard about each and every skill point you invest. You’ll deal less damage and receive more damage than normal.
  • Nightmare – If you’re the kind the person to enjoy fighting against the odds, you’ll like this one. Once you pick it, the game claims that “nothing can save you”. It will probably take a toll on your quick save/load keys. But it will be memorable. You’ll deal minimal damage and receive high damage.
Fwiw normal if you're fussed about ammo being scarce. Hard if not. Never tried either of the others.

EE :Hard to contain the envy I feel for anyone playing this for the first time and going in blind.

Last edited:

JCK75

I mean I’ve seen people mention this game here and there and saying it’s pretty good. I was a little pissed off they cancelled the original Prey 2 back in the day so I never gave it a shot. But I figure hey it’s free on gamepass might as well give it a shot and... WHAT??? This is legitimately one of the best games I’ve ever played. Ever. I’m actually kinda mind blown this isn’t higher ranked by people or put on all time lists. It’s almost like when I played half life for the first time. I’m absolutely shocked at how good this game is.

I don’t tend to give props to corporations but damn Microsoft buying Zenimax was a bigger power move than I thought. Like I love the elder scrolls stuff and fallout but this and Doom Eternal have been two of the best games I’ve played in ages if they can keep this type of quality holy shit.

I agree, it's a phenominal game.. it should have never been called Prey and people would have had less against it.

GHG

Gold Member
Anyone who doesn't like this game is playing it wrong.

There, I said it. Stop just shooting/hitting shit and use your brain.

Also, people shouldn't sleep on mooncrash. The DLC is often overlooked but it's excellent.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's probably the best immersive-sim game to release post-2000. I have some issues with it (the last few hours were annoying and the main story was pretty dumb) but I wholeheartedly enjoyed it otherwise.

dV8tR

Neo Member
I mean I’ve seen people mention this game here and there and saying it’s pretty good. I was a little pissed off they cancelled the original Prey 2 back in the day so I never gave it a shot. But I figure hey it’s free on gamepass might as well give it a shot and... WHAT??? This is legitimately one of the best games I’ve ever played. Ever. I’m actually kinda mind blown this isn’t higher ranked by people or put on all time lists. It’s almost like when I played half life for the first time. I’m absolutely shocked at how good this game is.

I don’t tend to give props to corporations but damn Microsoft buying Zenimax was a bigger power move than I thought. Like I love the elder scrolls stuff and fallout but this and Doom Eternal have been two of the best games I’ve played in ages if they can keep this type of quality holy shit.
I haven't played it but I consistently hear good word of mouth. Your post has convinced me - I will give it a shot !

People talking about the enemies - like I kinda get that critique but I dunno it really hasn’t fucked with my enjoyment at all. It’s crazy to me how interactive the environment is, and just how good the environmental story and level design in general is (something Wolfenstein 2 the last game I played kinda sucked at imo) is dishonored similar to this? I’ve never played those

Last edited:

Redlight

People talking about the enemies - like I kinda get that critique but I dunno it really hasn’t fucked with my enjoyment at all. It’s crazy to me how interactive the environment is, and just how good the environmental story and level design in general is (something Wolfenstein 2 the last game I played kinda sucked at imo) is dishonored similar to this? I’ve never played those
Both Dishonored games are great. Atmosphere and world design through the roof. On balance Arkane are just about the most underrated developers in the business. They really haven't put a foot wrong.

Last edited:
I loved Prey, which is surprising as I didn't like Wolfenstein, Dishonored or Doom very much. In fact, there are only a few FPS games I've ever been able to get into, namely this and the BioShock games.

Last edited:

BigLee74

Tried it a few years ago, and gave up quite quickly. Sluggish controls and frame rate, coupled with fast moving enemies. Looking forward to trying it again when the 60fps setting drops!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Tried it a few years ago, and gave up quite quickly. Sluggish controls and frame rate, coupled with fast moving enemies. Looking forward to trying it again when the 60fps setting drops!
You played on console?
I played on pc... I think with 1060 or something worse and I was surprised how smooth it ran actually :p It's the best performing cryengine game to date and it's super weird

Also - what engine is this using? It’s really rare for me to feel so connected to the game world with the physics and the objects all basically being interactive - this could certainly be used on an elder scrolls or fallout game no?

BigLee74

You played on console?
I played on pc... I think with 1060 or something worse and I was surprised how smooth it ran actually :p It's the best performing cryengine game to date and it's super weird
Yeah, I tried it on the Xbox one. Horrible. But definitely going to try again! Gave up on PC gaming years ago, too much hassle.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah, I tried it on the Xbox one. Horrible. But definitely going to try again! Gave up on PC gaming years ago, too much hassle.
yeah pc gaming kinda fucking sucks... even though I am a pc gamer and game since 1997... even have 3080 rig now... it is still hassle.
Wait for ps5/xbox patch and get to it !

Great game. I got about 3/4 of the way through on hard and could not figure where to go or what to do next.
I need to just start a new game on nightmare difficulty someday and right this wrong. When I did stop playing I was becoming a bit too op for enemies with all my upgrading I did.

EE :Hard to contain the envy I feel for anyone playing this for the first time and going in blind.
YES. Going in blind in what to expect makes it such a slap in the face.

In that sense, Ocarina of Time did that for me back in the day, then Metroid Prime, Chibi Robo, Baten Kaitos Origins, a few others really. It's a rare thing to stumble on something new and not having any kind of high expectations.

I had seen Prey being played at a friends house, but he was in the jungle section and I originally thought it was a something like a first person shooter, in a park, well, and he did a bad job explaining what was going on, so I wasn't hooked. If I had to sell it to someone though, I'd just go through the opening section. AWESOME.

It probably didn't sell that well because there was no marketing to support it, but I reckon it probably sold enough.
It’s CryEngine.
I liked the CryEngine implementation in this game, yes.

It wasn't too bad on the hardware and did whatever they wanted it to do. Felt better than the id Tech 5 they were using on Dishonored 2 & death of the outsider.

It kept the engine in my mind of positive experiences this gen, when it comes to engines I don't dislike. I understand it needs some under the hood work though.

Last edited:
Great game. 8/10. Must play for any fan of immersive sims or science fiction in general. Personally, I prefer my immersive Sims with a good conversation system which obviously this doesn't have, and I feel it's a bit more combat forward than say Deus Ex, so that's why it didn't score higher on my scale.

DustQueen

Banned
Talos 1 is a fucking joy to explore.

It hurts to this day how badly this game did sales wise.

• Easy – This one is meant for players interested only in seeing how to story unflods. It offers minimal challenge. You won’t have to be economic with your ammo, and you won’t have to worry too much where you invest your skill points. If you’re new to this type of game, this is the one you should pick. You’ll deal high damage and receive minimal damage.
  • Normal – This setting is meant for players already familiar with the genre, but aren’t too interested in a challenge. The description reads: “Use your wits, weapons and abilities to survive”. If you’re looking for the way the developers intended it to be, this is it. Expect a few close calls here and there, but nothing too taxing.
  • Hard – When you hover over it, the game warns you: “Your wits are the only thing that will keep you alive.” This one was meant for hardened veterans, people familiar with the trappings of the genre, and generally, those interested in a proper challenge. You’ll have to conserve ammo, and think long and hard about each and every skill point you invest. You’ll deal less damage and receive more damage than normal.
  • Nightmare – If you’re the kind the person to enjoy fighting against the odds, you’ll like this one. Once you pick it, the game claims that “nothing can save you”. It will probably take a toll on your quick save/load keys. But it will be memorable. You’ll deal minimal damage and receive high damage.
Fwiw normal if you're fussed about ammo being scarce. Hard if not. Never tried either of the others.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST

I did not expected such a competent reply

Thank you, whoever you are

Last edited:
Last edited:

Bankai

It didn’t resonate with me as much as it should have unfortunately. Big fan of the genre, but something didn’t quite gel.

same here. I’m a Bioshock / Deus Ex kinda guy, but apart from the amazing opening of the game - it was “just pretty good”. Environments weren’t that interesting and the story didn’t grab me.
still a good game though!

Esca

One of my fav games last gen. I actuator remember a decent amount of it which is high for me. So it must of made some kind of impact

Melubas

Prey is an amazing, amazing game. I had zero expectations when I bought it and was floored by how good it was. I absolutely loved it. Don't think it sold that well sadly, probably have the lack of marketing and the mediocre reviews to thank for that, which kind of sucks. Would have loved to see a sequel.

Paasei

I should finally play this game....... again.
I have replayed Hitman games, Dishonored (2), Deus Ex games over and over again. But somehow only played Prey twice.

Gandih42

If you're on PC you should try Dark Messiah of Might & Magic.

Looks a little dated but still an excellent Arkane game.

I loved and played the everliving shit out of Dark Messiah back in the day. Only learned within the last few weeks it was developed but Arkane and suffice to say, my mind was jellified. I still dream of going back to it one day.

As for Prey, I had the exact same reaction as OP when I played it last year. God damn, what a game. The load times and responsiveness wasn't great on PS4, but it didn't stop me from getting fully immersed in that game.

My advice to anyone playing it would be, if you think of it more as a survival horror than FPS, you shouldn't have any trouble with your resources despite the respawning enemies. Use the tools provided to you creatively.

stitch1

And this right here is the power of GamePass. I love seeing stories like this.

Ceadeus

This game is a classic as such as Bioshock, Deus Ex or Half Life. Arkane sure know how to create believable and immersive worlds that are fun to dive in.

Good thing you finally tried it OP, I couldn't stop playing it when it came out.

Last edited:

Amiga

They didn't properly introduce the game to players. Got to play this from PSNow. Backtracking and padding are held this game back. Would have liked it more if it was more straight forward like Portal.

Top Bottom