• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4 Pro)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
JadedShallowIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif

so a little background: several years ago i got a PS3 at a thrift store and purchased the first RDR for it. i really fell in love with the game. Rockstar may not make the best games on a gameplay level, but they do a wonderful job at creating a world and immersing you in it. it was very charming and had a nice, natural pacing to it. very much a "hangout game" where it is almost a place you want to visit and explore more than a game. anyways i recently got a PS4 Pro and purchased this for it cos i knew it looked good on that console and plus it turned out to be way cheaper than the newer PC release.

so im playing this, and it's a great sequel so far. i have only just gotten to camp and already it has been a great experience. IMO Rockstar's writers are very underrated, they do some really cool stuff. right now i am driving a carriage into town with folks from the camp and there are a trio of girls in the back singing historically accurate dirty songs. another buggy crosses ahead of us, the driver steering erratically, and Arthur makes a crack about the drunk driving. the game is full of this kind of slice of life writing, and it is really well done. most movie writers can barely put together 1h 30m of story, let alone hundreds of hours worth of in-universe dialogue. such a lavish attention to detail results in a very nice level of immersion. it's good stuff.

anyways, i love this game. i love the setting. it is slow and has it's own pace but that's alright. i can mosey. i am a huge fan of the classic Westerns. John Ford is the man, and that epic landscape is the perfect setting for Rockstar's open world aesthetics. really looking forward to seeing the story through and getting to hang out with all these cowboy characters. already i feel like they all are more interesting than 99% of movie characters. very cool of them to build a game around this camp. i guess cowboys sitting around campfires was the one thing really missing from that first game ;-p

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah i dont plan on bingeing this. its going to be the kind of game i play an hour or two a night off and on for months. i tend to do that rotation with 5-6 games at a time, unless something new is coming out.

haven't tried online yet. i am just now getting used to the controls and dont wanna get merc'd.

the shooting is fun & already up there with the first. i really enjoy searching/looting things like in that rich train car. looking forward to seeing what else they have in store.

Last edited:

Quasicat

On my 2nd playthrough. The first time I was the nicest guy and got the good ending for it. Now, I’m the biggest jerk to everyone,
I kept being mean to everyone and after picking on Tilly, Lenny came up behind me and knocked me out.
I started playing it on an Xbox One S and thought it looked incredible. Started my 2nd playthrough on an X and it looks even better. Crazy how good this generation looks.

I've just gone back to this after many months to get my 70 gold medals & online trophies and I have got to say since I last played this game it seems to of turned into a glitchy mess.

Edit PS4 Pro

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Hmm I haven’t noticed any glitches yet. game is pretty smooth so far.

one thing im wondering: is there a trick to getting your horse to auto ride? or am i going to need to hold X the whole time?

Max_Po

Banned
I have the game on PS4 Pro (Well PS4), XboxOne X and PC.

Finished it twice on XboxONeX, and on PC. Can't stand the Vaseline filter on PS4. Fuck RockStar.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
its looking pretty dope on PS4 Pro. i know i could have gotten it on PC but i do not feel like i am missing out. it looks wonderful.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i dont care about console wars. i don't care what platform looks best. i'm not staning Playstation or anything. please drop this.

fuck, i shouldn't have even included the console in the thread. im inadvertently triggering people. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Move along from the
i dont care about console wars. i don't care what platform looks best. i'm not staning Playstation or anything. please drop this.

fuck, i shouldn't have even included the console in the thread. im inadvertently triggering people. :messenger_sad_relieved:

I agree.

I finished it a few days ago and I cant get it out of my head. As someone who really loved RDR 1 and found its ending bittersweet, I am genuinely amazed at how brilliantly this game ended.

MASSIVE SPOILERS TO FOLLOW -

I was heartbroken that John only gets to spend a few days/weeks with his family at the end of RDR 1 before he gets gunned down. The fact that they leave us in a sort of a suspended time where John is alive and happy with his family really made me almost choke up. I know the events of RDR 1 are in his future but here and now at the end of RDR 2 he has a infinite amount of time with his wife and son. This snow globe of an ending is just fucking genius.

Also the attention to detail just consistently blew my mind throughout the game. For example, if you start a mission where you ride and talk with your gang on horseback, Arthur has a voice over that he uses if he is riding close to his friends and a loud shouting VO of the same dialogue if he is riding a little behind. And its not the same VO lines at a higher volume. They actually fucking recorded two different sounding versions of the same fucking dialogue at different pitch/tempos to play out depending on the distance you are from others.

Like, who the fuck makes that kind of effort? Who even thinks about that stuff. So much effort for something people will almost never even notice. Goddamn.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
They actually fucking recorded two different sounding versions of the same fucking dialogue at different pitch/tempos to play out depending on the distance you are from others.

They did something similar for Peter Parker/Spider-Man on PS4. Depending on if you are swinging, running, etc. the dialogue sounds different. I love details like that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I played this for like 60 hours. Most of the time I was trying not to touch somebody. Because you know that automatically counts as assault and 20 people are chasing after me for said assault. The other half I spent it as a hunting simulator.

Get your horse to full speed, hold the button and then go to cinematic camera. It will auto ride for you but you still have to watch. You can still get approached by bounty hunters and robbers ECT.
Hmm I haven’t noticed any glitches yet. game is pretty smooth so far.

one thing im wondering: is there a trick to getting your horse to auto ride? or am i going to need to hold X the whole time?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Grand Theft Auto is R*'s #1 game but that doesn't mean there can't be others (Red Dead 2) big big game.

wvnative

It is easier to state that it looks that much BAD on PS4 Pro

Really wanna see it on my xbox one x because I've heard it looks significantly better than PS4 pro... but can't justify buying another copy. no friends to borrow it from, they all have PS4s

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Really wanna see it on my xbox one x because I've heard it looks significantly better than PS4 pro... but can't justify buying another copy. no friends to borrow it from, they all have PS4s

devilNprada

I finished the campaign. Bit slow, but pretty good game over all.

Thing is; when people come over and I demonstrate how far video games have come, I start this game up and ride the horse through the snow. It is amazing.

Using: Ps4 Pro and an A8 Oled TV.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
been playing it since last year lol an hour here and there it is pretty relaxing strolling on ur horse looking at the beautiful nature environments and exploring. i think i'm like 24 or 25 percent completed, i'm just taking my time with it no rush i def like being in a group and having a camp doing quests with them and also upgrading camp equipment. honestly one of the main reasons that pushed me to get this game is because of the poker games which I had some fun with i need to start playing it online with people

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Ok I’m doing the mission where Arthur and Lenny go to town and get drunk in that saloon and it’s amazing haha

Edit: and now I have a hangoveR and am carrying around a skinned deer from store to store and everyone is giving me these great shocked expressions lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom