• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 3 (2020 Remake) via Digital PS5

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is originally a 1999 game developed and published by Capcom for the Playstation, Windows, Dreamcast and GameCube and in 2020 Capcom released an HD version, another great horror game.

431614-resident-evil-3-banner-1920x600.jpg

Boy what a blast I had with this game. Resident Evil 3 hardcore fans please take a step back with this LTTP.

RE3 is better than RE1, and RE2.
Starting out in Raccoon and seeing zombies at every corner is way better than the mansion, and police station of previous games and the game just plays more fast paced which is a good thing and while it takes place in multiple locations it's mostly one location for the second half of the time, the fascinating Umbrella Corp. HQ.

io5iCXb.gif

If you ask hardcore Resident Evil fans, half don't like Jill. I didn't know anything about her, she's a natural at giving you an anxiety trip and rush to get the game done, escape the city etc. Jill is good enough for a main character. Physically and mentality Leon is actually better. I like the confidence these characters show, they're nothing unique.

Untitled.png

You collect notes, solve fewer puzzles and kill more zombies overall it's a top horror game of all time, Jill is cool, exploring Umbrella, the virus etc. is amazing and I still think RE4-6 will receive remakes. If I were Shinji Mikami I would consider rebooting the franchise, Capcom is doing a really good job with the VR games, and giving VR a chance, those games make you jump out of your seat, but the graphics are choppy as hell, linear, and the characters (Baker family) aren't that unique. It's a powerhouse franchise for Capcom, I give RE3 Remake a 8/10, what does GAF think of RE3?

Roni

Gold Member
Best gameplay the series has had so far, even though I like the puzzle heavy approach in 2. Best of both worlds for me would be a fusion of the RE2 and RE3 Remake into one huge game with not only great puzzles but also intense combat.

Hospital was much better than in the original. Didn't miss the Clock Tower all that much, but really wished they had included the Park in the game and expanded on it. In the end, I prefered the Remake's new final location to the original's factory.

Kuranghi

9/10 for me, I love it. I spent twice as long with it as RE2R mostly due to the Shop and the extra difficulty modes.

You better get out of here EverydayBeast EverydayBeast , because the Nemesis (read: people that hate RE3R) are coming to tell you how wrong your opinion is, and they won't stop whether you set them on fire and throw them in a river, shoot them 10x with a grenade launcher or melt them with solvent. You're going to need an actual fucking railgun to take them out.

Best gameplay the series has had so far, even though I like the puzzle heavy approach in 2. Best of both worlds for me would be a fusion of the RE2 and RE3 Remake into one huge game with not only great puzzles but also intense combat.

Hospital was much better than in the original. Didn't miss the Clock Tower all that much, but really wished they had included the Park in the game and expanded on it. In the end, I prefered the Remake's new final location to the original's factory.

Holy shiz YES, I never thought about them combining 2R and 3R, they could've had a middle section of the game where its more action and less puzzles like 3R, might've made the game too long though.

I looked at all the removed scenes and boss battles from 3R and I was not annoyed most of it was gone, I'd liked to have seen the Clocktower interior just to see it but it wasn't essential.

If anything I think just one more unique Nemesis form/battle would've made it 9.5/10 for me. Or at least make the solvent battle a little bit more different from the clocktower battle.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

Disregarding the PS1 version and judging this game by what it is as opposed to what it isn't I have to say I really enjoyed my time with it. A good game with great elements, but never reaches the same level as Resident Evil 2 remake.

One thing I like is the Nemesis encounters. I know it's just your typical popcorn action stuff, but I didn't want Mr X version 2.0 copy pasted from Resi 2 Remake. Had Mr X been absent from Resident Evil 2 / implemented differently then I would have higher expectations of Nemesis.

I'm just glad I didn't have the same stalking gameplay for 2 games straight so the games feel different.

fart town usa

Gold Member
REmake 3 is great but they cut too much stuff out. It really could have been an epic narrative to conclude the Raccoon City trilogy but unfortunately large elements were rushed and important narrative plot points were also rushed. Why couldn't Brad be around longer? The police station with Marvin and other officers. So much more could have went into that, and the trailers seemed to point at it but it was just clever editing.

Gameplay wise it's among the best in RE but they should have expanded the streets of Raccoon City and turned Nemesis into a Mr. X type enemy instead of a scripted sequence, that is probably the biggest flaw in it. Nemesis in the original is infinitely better than what we got and the OG RE3 is a much better game. It's really underrated for some reason.

assurdum

Banned
Would be great if it wasn't 3 hours long. But it's not that my major problem with RE3R. It's just a commercial operation and no more. I literally felt deceived. It's not a remake. The whole Raccoon City is practically reduced to a miniscule square, where are all the streets of the original? Where is the Raccoon park? The clock Tower? They recycled again the fucking sewers (the worst area of RE2R) fuck them. Just the hospital is decent otherwise it's just a demo, it's not a game, it's too short to be considered as it. And the most memorable areas vanished in a rushed reinterpretation of the original. And don't get me wrong, gameplay is fine but I can't accept all the sacrifices they did in the map. I'm scared to RE4R fate after this shit show.

Last edited:

Valt7786

What's there can be great, loved all the characters, Jill and Carlos are dramatically improved. Nemesis kinda sucked, he's just a scripted boss now and going straight from Coat form to Dog form was a massive disappointment tbh. Plus him not dropping proper weapon upgrades except for the shitty pistol was disappointing too. Hospital improved, shit sewers, hunter gamma's were pansies. Going to another tiny lab was crap too, was looking forward to seeing the dead factory in proper glory, especially that final room with all the dead soldiers and tyrants. But nope, just recycled RE 2 Lab.

AND no flash decisions, the main part of OG RE3 completely removed.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The dodge mechanic is fantastic, making it more fun to play than RE2 Remake. Also gotta love Jill's supercop attitude.

Which makes the fact that its rushed & missing content from the original all the more frustrating. Could've been a stone cold classic. Including some throwaway multiplayer game that nobody remembers instead of Mercenaries mode is a slap in the face. Even RE8 will have Mercs mode, and first-person RE doesn't exactly have the best combat.

Also that timed horde sequence with Carlos at the hospital. Please miss me with that shit. Its like they were trying to channel RE4 but it ended up feeling like CoD zombies lol

Last edited:

Neff

Great game in its own right but woefully abrupt for what is to all intents and purposes a cinematic shooter. The leaner and brisker yet more content-rich original puts it to shame.

The dodge mechanic is fantastic, making it more fun to play than RE2 Remake.

100% this. RE2make really could have done with it.

Great game, although RE2 had better puzzles.

Yes. As in, it actually had some.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

TBH it dissapointed me less than RE2 remake did.
Its a cool game, a bit short but still good.
Both could of done better and bring back more areas and parts of the originals for the remake.
And Mr X stalking you should of been kept for Scenerio B.

ssringo

I enjoyed it considerably but found it much less fun to replay than RE2R. It's too linear with too many scripted sequences. However, Jill and Carlos are great and the Nemesis boss fights are enjoyable (other than the final one on the hardest difficulty which was just dumb).

Mabdia

I just loved the game. One of the best experiences I have last year. But it isn't superior to RE2r, let alone REmake which is the best Remake ever made.

I got a platinum for RE3r and RE2r. Both amazing games. The complain about the time is just a whine of little kids who pays for hours of gameplay, not for the experience that they get.

Athreous

REmake 3 is great but they cut too much stuff out. It really could have been an epic narrative to conclude the Raccoon City trilogy but unfortunately large elements were rushed and important narrative plot points were also rushed. Why couldn't Brad be around longer? The police station with Marvin and other officers. So much more could have went into that, and the trailers seemed to point at it but it was just clever editing.

Gameplay wise it's among the best in RE but they should have expanded the streets of Raccoon City and turned Nemesis into a Mr. X type enemy instead of a scripted sequence, that is probably the biggest flaw in it. Nemesis in the original is infinitely better than what we got and the OG RE3 is a much better game. It's really underrated for some reason.
It'd be perfect if they didn't cut 1/3 of the game >_< Maybe they'll hear player's feedback and release a director's cut with the missing areas...

As a game on its own merits, this is a fantastic game. Some of the most fun I've had with a newly released video game in a while. Easily a 9/10 experience for me. It's one of those that I see myself replaying every year.

As "Resident Evil 3," it's more of a mixed bag, but the hate is hyperbolized by some. As related to the original, this is where Resident Evil 3 remake lands:

Pros:
+ Characters. The characters are better in the remake. All of them across the board -- Jill, Carlos, Nikolai, Mikhail, etc. Carlos was probably the biggest winner. But also, I purposely left out someone from that list: Tyrrell. Someone who was simply a 2-second throwaway character in the original game is infinitely better here in the Remake, the dude really shines. "Keep your head screwed on, Romeo.... this is the police station." LMAO.
+ Voice acting. Sort of related to the above, the voice actors put an A+ effort in this game. And you can tell they were passionate about the roles, too. Most especially Jill. Nicole Tompkins (the voice actress for Jill in the Remake) is very passionate about her role, and to this day engages with the community quite a bit.
+ Graphics. Of course. As Heimdall_Xtreme Heimdall_Xtreme said above, "God bless Re engine." Indeed...
+ Gameplay. The action-centric gameplay is in the spirit of the original. And in this game there is a Dodge mechanic that.... that... .actually works! And works reliably! (And not only that, but Carlos was also given the awesome Falcon Punch). Beating final Nemmy on Inferno -- it's one of the biggest "ultimate tests of skill" I've experienced in video games. The fight is brutal, it's annoying, Nemmy is cheap as fuck. But, hey, if you've mastered all gameplay elements to this point -- precise aiming and shooting, general movement, and, of course, the dodge mechanic, then beating him is one of the most satisfactory feelings.
+ Hospital. The hospital in the Remake is infinitely better than the one in the OG. I do like the inclusion of "Goddamn Daniel Bard"...
+ NEST-2. I actually prefer the new lab area compared to the Dead Factory in the original. But the lab area does seem kind of short...
+ Shop items. Add replayability.

Cons:
- Why even say it. We all know it. The Clocktower is completely cut off. This actually hurts (LOL). This is probably the area I was most excited to see when I first heard there was an RE3 remake. And in the OG, this is where the important puzzles were. Speaking of which....
- Puzzles. The Remake practically has no puzzles. It's weak sauce. The original had, at least: The music puzzle, the clock puzzle with the 3 goddesses, the hospital vaccine puzzle, the park water drainage puzzle, the infamous water puzzle in the dead factory... I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple. The only one I remember from the Remake is the train station route one, and it's a shitty puzzle at that.
- Missing the Park. Another area I would have loved to see rendered in the new engine. Would have been amazing.
- Simplified powder mixing. Mixing powders in the original game was incredibly fun, especially saving powders to make the coveted Freeze Rounds. Speaking of which.... no freeze rounds here, boo. But I guess the Mine Rounds make up for that (a little bit).
- Not enough "humanoid" Nemesis. He turns into a doggy too quickly.
- No live selection. The live selection added a lot of replayability to the original.

- Iconic line said at the wrong time. You all know the line. The one she utters here (screenshot is from one of my many playthroughs on PC):

mfLYujB.png

In the Remake, she says it... in a throwaway section. The context doesn't even fully make sense. What the hell.

There were a couple of things left out of the Remake that I was neutral on and didn't care:

+/- No Gravedigger ("worm boss"). Ehh... I always thought it was kind of a dumb boss anyway. "Nothing of value was lost," as the kids say on the internet these days.
+/- No Mercenaries. I'm a bit mixed on this one. With the dodge mechanic as part of the core game, how would Mercenaries actually work here? You'd have to make it a full blown action RE5 style Mercenaries. The Mercenaries mode in the original was *OK* at best, it was a prototype that was infinitely improved in RE4 (which is why they kept the RE4 version of Mercenaries going on for the rest of the entries...)
+/- No Dead Factory. As I said earlier, I think the lab is actually an improvement on it.

Anyway, because of all that, as "Resident Evil 3" -- it's mixed. It's not the best Remake (in that sense), but it's not as awful as online haters make it out to be.

Short game? 5 hours, you say? There are more difficult modes, which will increase the play time. There are unlockable items that will increase the play time. Still not satisfied? If you want a 120+ hour game of dumb mindless nonsense, go climb some Assassin's Creed towers or find some Korok seeds or... whatever it is you want your game to be bloated with. Resident Evil 3 Remake is fine as it is. (Cuts from the original notwithstanding, of course)

Last edited:
Top Bottom