• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: RESIDENT EVIL 5

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is originally a 2009 game developed and published by Capcom for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 and than Switch, PS4, and Xbox One versions were released in 2016.

Larger picture, RE8 hype and the recent spring sale on PSN got me to RE5 again. This game keeps you on a momentum trip going forward, there's little to no backtracking which means you are done with locations and never return to them which is a major change for the franchise even by RE4's standards. You aren't spending time collecting keys to a mansion or police station storage room for two hours like in RE1-3. Macho gamers will appreciate this thriller aspect.

2637083-resident_evil_5_pc_02.jpg

You can move so much more faster because of the revamped inventory management system that makes you more deadly.

12375.png

After every chapter you get context on what happened.

Plot wise, you play as a confident Bioterrorism agent (Chris Redfield) entering a village in Africa with infected people scrambling.

bd4a0daa0dd7e9c300635f3878278d15.gif

At this point in the game, your inventory is low, you just found your first gun with horrendous power and overall the story is in heavy development.

There's 6 main chapters spread across 15-20 hours of gameplay in Africa, Chris and his partner must track down the minion (Irving) of the main villain (Wesker) and save the world from chaos.

wetlands-majini.png

Controversial decision to not have traditional zombies. I won't defend the decision.

I love that despite being a thriller the game still has a classic horror feel to it like restoring health under pressure, and solving basic puzzles.

Resident Evil 5 is all about speedy gameplay and gives a serious nod to games like Gears of War, some consider it Capcom's worst game ever. The plot doesn't connect to previous mainline RE games and that can give you a headache trying to connect the dots and it's clearly meant for people that played other Resident Evil games not apart of the main series.

Untitled.png

I believe RE5 is better than a 69, obviously people hate the controversial decisions like having a partner, no connection to Raccoon city, pace etc. but stepping back and looking at RE5, is a powerhouse of originality and a respectable Resident Evil installment, it's RE4 personified. I give the game a 9/10 hell yeah and it's clear Capcom is running in a completely different direction with RE7, and the upcoming 8.

Chris is cool, discovering the mastermind of Umbrella and battling him is amazing and I have a feeling we'll see an action adventure open world game from Capcom based on RE at some point. What does GAF think of RESIDENT EVIL 5?

spartan30gr

This is originally a 2009 game developed and published by Capcom for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 and than Switch, PS4, and Xbox One versions were released in 2016.

Larger picture, RE8 hype and the recent spring sale on PSN got me to RE5 again. This game keeps you on a momentum trip going forward, there's little to no backtracking which means you are done with locations and never return to them which is a major change for the franchise even by RE4's standards. You aren't spending time collecting keys to a mansion or police station storage room for two hours like in RE1-3. Macho gamers will appreciate this thriller aspect.

2637083-resident_evil_5_pc_02.jpg

You can move so much more faster because of the revamped inventory management system that makes you more deadly.

12375.png

After every chapter you get context on what happened.

Plot wise, you play as a confident Bioterrorism agent (Chris Redfield) entering a village in Africa with infected people scrambling.

bd4a0daa0dd7e9c300635f3878278d15.gif

At this point in the game, your inventory is low, you just found your first gun with horrendous power and overall the story is in heavy development.

There's 6 main chapters spread across 15-20 hours of gameplay in Africa, Chris and his partner must track down the minion (Irving) of the main villain (Wesker) and save the world from chaos.

wetlands-majini.png

Controversial decision to not have traditional zombies. I won't defend the decision.

I love that despite being a thriller the game still has a classic horror feel to it like restoring health under pressure, and solving basic puzzles.

Resident Evil 5 is all about speedy gameplay and gives a serious nod to games like Gears of War, some consider it Capcom's worst game ever. The plot doesn't connect to previous mainline RE games and that can give you a headache trying to connect the dots and it's clearly meant for people that played other Resident Evil games not apart of the main series.

Untitled.png

I believe RE5 is better than a 69, obviously people hate the controversial decisions like having a partner, no connection to Raccoon city, pace etc. but stepping back and looking at RE5, is a powerhouse of originality and a respectable Resident Evil installment, it's RE4 personified. I give the game a 9/10 hell yeah and it's clear Capcom is running in a completely different direction with RE7, and the upcoming 8.

Chris is cool, discovering the mastermind of Umbrella and battling him is amazing and I have a feeling we'll see an action adventure open world game from Capcom based on RE at some point. What does GAF think of RESIDENT EVIL 5?

Did a miss something?This is the hd port vesrion of the game
The original have 84 on metacritic

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't care for RE5. They did a good job connecting it to previous games in terms of the lore but the gameplay is not for me. Just too repetitive and mimics everything that RE4 did.

Sheva is an awesome character though, wish Capcom would bring her back for a Revelations type game.

Last edited:
It's basically co-op RE4 with a bit worse encounter design (RE4 is a ridiculously high bar for encounter design though), and it does a pretty good job of actually being designed around co-op in terms of level design.

Playing solo is fairly dull but if you have a good friend to play with it is a lot of fun. And yes, as stated, the PS4 port will inherently have a lower rating like most re-releases do - check the score of the original.

Matt_Fox

Resident Evil 5 was a critical and commercial mega hit. It scored an 84 Metacritic and is the best selling title in the whole Resident Evil franchise.

I think it's an amazing game - action oriented, really gory and visceral gunplay, with Michael Bay style cutscenes. Brilliant and rarely used setting of being in Africa, and Sheva is a cool character who deserves a standalone game.

Video games are meant to be fun and larger than life - Resident Evil 5 delivers!

mbsDxPi.jpg

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me I never liked RE5 because its solely focused on co-op. I like to play my RE games solo, not babysit dump AI.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
RE 5 is more action than ever for his day, so to me is ok. It's fun. Finished a couple times and that's it

Saber

Gold Member
Not one of prefered games neither I consider a good RE game. Its more like a full action game with Co-op mechanics. I remember playing this game on 360...had better coop games at time(L4D decimates this game).
Still Sheeva isn't a bad character, I like her design. But then we have things like Hulk Chris(Chris smash rock!1!) And Jill, which I barelly recognize(it wouldn't be bad if she was an entirelly new character).

It gets boring the more you advances and when you beat it, felt like a drag to do it all over again. Once we finished the game, me and my brother totally forget this game even exists.

If you got a buddy to play with on their own tv, it's a hell of a time. There are some annoying parts like the first Wesker encounter, saving Jill , and the last part was not great with Wesker either, although there is rock pummeling. Couple silly qte parts as well. But overall it's a pretty great game , and Mercs is also a fun romp.

Solo ,this would be a slog I imagine . Probably like a top 5 co-op game tho for me. . The villiage section is my favorite, chapter 3 I think. Those big chiefs bring the thunder.

Boss Mog

The game was a blast to play co-op back on the 360. But playing it today on PS4, alone, would probably not be a great experience.

SkylineRKR

Pretty fun co-op but otherwise 5 is a neutered version of RE4. Lots of reused assets, animations and enemies. Locations look drab, and level design is fairly non-existant. Mostly you'll just need to move to the next set piece. Co-op hurt its level design. And also hurt the SP experience because the AI helper is awful though a little bit smarter in the HD port.

Mercs online is where its at, and the DLC chapters are pretty funky. I usually avoid the campaign.

I have two complaints about this game, which made me hate it. First, AI Sheva was absolutely worthless. It’s up there with some of the worst AI I’ve experienced when playing single player. Second, it continues the RE4 path of making this a third person action game, rather than a survival horror game. I disliked that move for RE4, despite liking RE4 on its own. RE5 continues that path with a less engaging story for me.

Aldynes

The game is a beast in Co-op, Funny thing is it has MORE Resident Evil themes and tropes than Resident Evil 4 and a deeper shooting mechanic with more zones that can be targeted on ennemies body to trigger CQC moves.
The story is way more in line with previous titles too, so all and all it's "on paper" a better game right?

Yeah but Resident Evil 4 is still king even if it's a bad Resident Evil

fart town usa

Gold Member
The game is a beast in Co-op, Funny thing is it has MORE Resident Evil themes and tropes than Resident Evil 4 and a deeper shooting mechanic with more zones that can be targeted on ennemies body to trigger CQC moves.
The story is way more in line with previous titles too, so all and all it's "on paper" a better game right?

Yeah but Resident Evil 4 is still king even if it's a bad Resident Evil
Right. They did a great job with tying up loose ends. Even the load screens contain great sources of into regarding the events in the RE timeline.

Main issue for me is the gameplay, just drags after a few hours. Run forward, fight a mob, collect a medal to unlock a door, fight a mob, et al. No scares, minimal atmosphere, lack of puzzles and variety in gameplay. Fun in coop but even then I get bored with it.

RE5 is like a 7/10 if you play it solo, but a 9/10 Co-op. The pacing is on par with RE4. It’s honestly one of my favorite games in the series, and I hate when people compare it to RE6, because the design behind them is night and day. RE6 was shit because none of the Melee mechanics and general combat felt as good as 4/5’s. In 6 you can just spam Melee, run away from an enemy, then run back and spam it again. There’s no skill required. 4/5 required skilled aiming to open up enemies for melee hits and it’s super satisfying.

6 has a manual dodge that is cool but barely used and never really necessary against normal enemies. It might as well have been just the QTE dodges from 4/5. Most of the regular enemies in 6 can just be killed by shooting their body a couple times and weak points don’t really matter. It’s just boring as fuck. The only fun thing to do in 6 is go prone on your back and crawl around like an idiot.

The tone of RE5 is a bit more serious than 4 but still fun enough so that you don’t care about taking it seriously. RE6 has even worse writing that wants to be taken seriously and it all falls flat. Leon says “I killed the President” to artificially make it sound dramatic when any normal person would just say the President turned into a fucking Zombie. The whole game is written melodramatically and none of it has any levity to make it enjoyable on an ironic level.

TL;DR:

RE5 is based Co-op and 6 is garbage.

RE5 might not be the best Resident Evil game but for me it was the most fun. I bought it, my cousin came over, and we literally beat the game in local co-op in one sitting. We started around noon and we were done by 9pm or so. It remains one of my fondest and funniest gaming memories!

It was a decent game, but it was not what I wanted from a Resident Evil. The first three games were some of my all-time favorite games because of the adventure/metroidvania gameplay. 4, and especially 5 and 6, turned it into more of just an action shooter.

IKSTUGA

RE5 is fucking hilarious and one of the best co-op games of all time. AI Sheva however, can go die in a fire. A solid complete global saturation / 5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom