• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 6 (more fun than a houseful of C-virus!)

Ah yes the QTE fest giving you barely any time to enjoy the atmosphere cause shits always blowing up game that is RE6 or vehicle crash simulator 2012. Not to mention bosses that don't know how to stay dead. The "puzzles" feel tacked on since they are so easy even a monkey could figure them out. Not to say past re puzzles were hard but they were implemented better then simply "oh heres a puzzle that'll take you a few seconds to do". The item system is horrible. Why make the ar rifle bullets have such a low stack count? As someone who likes to pick up everything they see I'm always throwing away stacks of bullets to make room for other items. Re6 is more on par with the movies then anything remotely close to the games. If michael bay made video games Re6 would of been one of his titles.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Ah yes the QTE fest giving you barely any time to enjoy the atmosphere cause shits always blowing up game that is RE6 or vehicle crash simulator 2012. Not to mention bosses that don't know how to stay dead. Re6 is more on par with the movies then anything remotely close to the games. If michael bay made video games Re6 would of been one of his titles.

The action is silly and over the top, but I don't mind. It is what it is, and that's not going to change a year down the road. It's fun to play, and so I play along.

Jawmuncher

I love some of the comments complaining about RE5 being over the top. Like the Resident Evil franchise as a whole was some sort of serious game since its creation. RE has been over the top since the first game. The only game that I might say wasn't was REmake.

jsnepo

There's no doubt that the core mechanic of Resident Evil 6 is probably the best in the series. Too bad it was put in a terrible level design and a bloated campaign.

Fantasmo

One of the few games that knows its a game. So fun if you're not a purist. With Mercs I played 200 hours total. 10/10

Ah yes the QTE fest giving you barely any time to enjoy the atmosphere cause shits always blowing up game that is RE6 or vehicle crash simulator 2012. Not to mention bosses that don't know how to stay dead. Re6 is more on par with the movies then anything remotely close to the games. If michael bay made video games Re6 would of been one of his titles.
Nope. Auto action on mode takes care of the tough ones.

News Bot

Banned
I love some of the comments complaining about RE5 being over the top. Like the Resident Evil franchise as a whole was some sort of serious game since its creation. RE has been over the top since the first game. The only game that I might say wasn't was REmake.

Let's be real, "over-the-top" never really became a thing in the series until BIO4. Maybe CODE:Veronica too at a stretch, but even that tried to subdue itself.

Hidé Gondoh's cutscene direction is a major detriment, in all honesty.

A great action game in it's own right, but not anywhere close to the realm of a survival horror and that still causes backlash. Really love the PC version of this, I still jump into coop games here and there. I also agree with the campaign having some bad spots, but the sheer amount of campaign and the ability to jump into any sub-chapters now means I can just skip those and go right to the good parts that make use of the game's fantastic combat system. This is a true brawler/shooter TPS hybrid game and there really isn't anything out there like it.

ifor1FGDTaeqT.gif

The action is silly and over the top, but I don't mind. It is what it is, and that's not going to change a year down the road. It's fun to play, and so I play along.

I didn't though. its a piss poor third person shooter. Fighting normal enemies is annoying thanks to the knock down mechanic. I mean I just finished MGR and that game is completely over the top too but the gameplay is challenging and that for me is what makes it fun. Aside from the camera I enjoy replaying segments I die in and improving at the game. In re6 there was none of that. It was simply keep moving till the next cutscene and try not to get knocked down all the damn time. Most of the bosses are simply bullet sponges as well with no indicator that you're inflicting damage. Also out of place vehicle segments with more qte's. Oh and I played it before the patch that fixed the camera distance.

Jawmuncher

Let's be real, "over-the-top" never really became a thing in the series until BIO4. Maybe CODE:Veronica too at a stretch, but even that tried to subdue itself.

Over the top might have been the wrong word to use.
Regardless while you're right that BIO4 is what brought over the top right in your face.
Still the other games still had moments that to me didn't make the shift all that jarring as it is to others it seems.

News Bot

Banned
Over the top might have been the wrong word to use.
Regardless while you're right that BIO4 is what brought over the top right in your face.
Still the other games still had moments that to me didn't make the shift all that jarring as it is to others it seems.

Nah, BIO1-3 are pretty grounded. Same with GS1. This might've been due to technical limitations, who knows.

Creaking

I didn't though. its a piss poor third person shooter. Fighting normal enemies is annoying thanks to the knock down mechanic. I mean I just finished MGR and that game is completely over the top too but the gameplay is challenging and that for me is what makes it fun. Aside from the camera I enjoy replaying segments I die in and improving at the game. In re6 there was none of that. It was simply keep moving till the next cutscene and try not to get knocked down all the damn time. Most of the bosses are simply bullet sponges as well with no indicator that you're inflicting damage.

That's why it's important to make use of the tools the game gives you. You can dodge, take cover, prioritize enemies with weapons, and quickly recover after getting knocked over. By the end of Jake's campaign it was only by my own carelessness that I was ever knocked down.

Seyavesh

I'd say Resident Evil has always been a little over-the-top, but not in the same way as RE4-6. There's like, a 'cheesy' level of action to them that is different from the cheesiness of the previous games. It's effectively as if the suspension of belief was completely removed from I guess 4 or maybe CV (never played it, but it's the origin of superpowered Wesker) onwards, where the protagonists were 'more than human' despite everything in the narrative saying otherwise.

I think it's an expansion of the action-oriented gameplay, for sure- tonally the cutscenes have to match the empowerment of the characters, so there's a level of absurdity that is beyond the original 3 games.

For example:

iqPCho2PcbgYX.gif

Even though it's a different character from the actual narrative, the same kinda idea applies (or is made more obvious to folks maybe)- this unstoppable monster just kicked away a pistol from the dude you're playing as. Normally this would be express some kind of tension, where it's supposed to be this 'fight to the death and that's an unstoppable monster' kinda deal; except in the gameplay his strongest attacks are -exploding people's heads- with his bare hands.

I mean, RE3 is full of absolutely -insane- moments like when Nemesis downs the helicopter, or when Nikolai survives a grenade explosion and the proceeding jump out of a several story tall window perfectly intact. Or the whole finale, where you're blasting Nemesis with an experimental military railgun.

But all of that is within the suspension of belief where the characters you are playing as are ultimately still human beings, and in real danger.

Fantasmo

I didn't though. its a piss poor third person shooter. Fighting normal enemies is annoying thanks to the knock down mechanic. I mean I just finished MGR and that game is completely over the top too but the gameplay is challenging and that for me is what makes it fun. Aside from the camera I enjoy replaying segments I die in and improving at the game. In re6 there was none of that. It was simply keep moving till the next cutscene and try not to get knocked down all the damn time. Most of the bosses are simply bullet sponges as well with no indicator that you're inflicting damage.
Completely wrong. The fighting mechanics are top notch, precise, fast and fluid. Assuming you know all the mechanics, which most people don't. Unless I'm playing online with someone overseas I never feel unfairly hit. Its pretty easy to S rank scenarios if you know how to approach them and it never gives you more than you can handle.

This post couldn't be more wrong.

Jawmuncher

Sounds to me like you aren't using any of the mechanics they introduced.
I really don't get the complaints such as yours towards RE6. I can understand and agree with the campaign flow being a bit shoddy and certain levels being terrible *Mainly Jakes Snow level). But to say the game doesn't have challenge and the like is just wrong. In terms of TPS it's easily the best since vanquish in terms of gameplay mechanics.

That's why it's important to make use of the tools the game gives you. You can dodge, take cover, prioritize enemies with weapons, and quickly recover after getting knocked over. By the end of Jake's campaign it was only by my own carelessness that I was ever knocked down.

jakes campaign towards the end if i remember correctly, which i may not because its been more then a year, isn't full of normal enemies. I'm more or less talking about Chris's campaign.

Creaking

jakes campaign towards the end if i remember correctly, which i may not because its been more then a year, isn't full of normal enemies. I'm more or less talking about Chris's campaign.

I haven't done Chris's yet, but chapter 4 of Jake's campaign was full of enemies wielding guns and the lizards that fire knockdown-inducing spikes, so there were plenty of opportunities to get knocked down. Again, you just have to make use of everything that the game provides. It becomes more natural the more you do it.

What is with all those gifs where they swapped Jake with Chris? lol

Yeah, having just beaten Jake's campaign, I was a little confused. I guess somebody just didn't like playing as Jake. That fight was the silliest thing, but enjoyable nonetheless. I don't think Ustanak was able to get in a single hit on me.

News Bot

Banned
Revelations is an example of the series having more "grounded" action. There's very little if any over-the-top action.

To be honest I want melee removed from the series completely.

eXistor

RE5 was bland and boring to me. Yes it is technically a better game than 6, but it just flatlined for me. I hated it. RE6 on the other hand is a spectacular trainwreck of a game; one that tries a million ideas and some stick, others don't. I had a ball with it. I'd rather play an interesting mess of a game like RE6 than a safe, boring and bland game like RE5.

I didn't though. its a piss poor third person shooter. Fighting normal enemies is annoying thanks to the knock down mechanic. I mean I just finished MGR and that game is completely over the top too but the gameplay is challenging and that for me is what makes it fun. Aside from the camera I enjoy replaying segments I die in and improving at the game. In re6 there was none of that. It was simply keep moving till the next cutscene and try not to get knocked down all the damn time. Most of the bosses are simply bullet sponges as well with no indicator that you're inflicting damage. Also out of place vehicle segments with more qte's. Oh and I played it before the patch that fixed the camera distance.

I completely disagree with you here. First off, I think if you ever want to give this game another shot you absolutely must adjust the fov, the default FOV it had on consoles is completely inadequate for the pace and style of this game.

Stuff like the knockdown complaints just roll into another issue with me where I think people don't realize that for them to give you so many new abilities as a player, they also MUST increase the capabilities of each enemy to balance it. It reminds me of the Giant Bomb quick look where Brad Shoemaker kept getting hit and grabbed by the leaping zombies, and constantly complaining about it. When another person suggested he try the duck or roll move to avoid these attacks he shrugged off the suggestion. This is part of the problem, this game evolves TPS and brawler combat of the previous entries (the action based ones), it's given you many more moves to avoid damage and people's first instinct is to play it either like RE4/5 or like a generic cover based third person shooter. Both these ways will end up frustrating. Knockdowns specifically are a non-issue to me, they are there to punish you for actually exposing yourself to being hit for a full life-bar, and are immediately recoverable from by tapping X/A when you hit the ground. It's just one of those things explained in a 2 second loading screen that makes the game play better I guess.

Sounds to me like you aren't using any of the mechanics they introduced.
I really don't get the complaints such as yours towards RE6. I can understand and agree with the campaign flow being a bit shoddy and certain levels being terrible *Mainly Jakes Snow level). But to say the game doesn't have challenge and the like is just wrong. In terms of TPS it's easily the best since vanquish in terms of gameplay mechanics.

I said it has the wrong kind of challenge. Like out of place vehicle segments. or bullet sponge bosses. I get that you like the games "core" mechanics and if that were the game was I'd be fine with it too but the campaign isn't just that now is it? There are plenty of chase segments or sudden qte semgents that break up the flow of the campaign. If the campaign were just longer segments of the basic gameplay it would be better but its not is it? I'll stay that the knock down effect is stupid and feels out of place. Yes you can improve at the game to not get knocked down but dragging myself through the campaign I didn't really care to S rank everything either.

Personally I loved Resident Evil 6. I find so many of the complaints about RE6 easily found in the previous titles.

Resident Evil 6 has:
Incredible animations
A brilliant soundtrack
Well suited(not perfect) shooting mechanics
Retained what the indepth RE mechanics should have(though we lost invincibility frames and menu-reloading)
Awesome set pieces and environments
and a long lengthy campaign that ties all of the characters together.

My main complaint is that Mercenaries didn't keep the "metagame" that RE5 had. RE5s Mercenaries is easily the best we've had of the series. Being able to use your invincibility frames to dodge attacks or stop all types of damage was incredibly handy and being able to reload in the menu meant the speed at which Mercenaries played at was much faster. Mercenaries has some really indepth mechanics to it that I'm annoyed were changed in RE6.
Edit: Also, a semi complaint being that I had my leaderboard score lowered because of people who cheated and Capcom did nothing about it. >: (

As much as I hate Capcom lately, the RE series is one of those times where I side with them against the complaints towards RE6.
RE 1, 2 and 3
"I wish I could aim better"
RE 4, 5
"Well I can aim better but why am I standing still"
RE 6
"NOPE TOO ACTIONY AND YOUR GAME IS SHIT. I love crappy camera angles, tank controls and some of the worst dialogue ever."
Reminds me of that ShigeruWindWaker picture.

Jawmuncher

I said it has the wrong kind of challenge. Like out of place vehicle segments. or bullet sponge bosses. I get that you like the games "core" mechanics and if that were the game was I'd be fine with it too but the campaign isn't just that now is it? There are plenty of chase segments or sudden qte semgents that break up the flow of the campaign. If the campaign were just longer segments of the basic gameplay it would be better but its not is it? I'll stay that the knock down effect is stupid and feels out of place. Yes you can improve at the game to not get knocked down but dragging myself through the campaign I didn't really care to S rank everything either.

Well then the other part of what I said basically covers that.
Since those parts can definitely be iffy.

marrec

Banned
RE 5 and 6 are the first RE games that I legitimately enjoyed. Played 1-3 and they're all bad, played 4 and it was pretty okay... but not quite there. 5 and 6 are great games.

Yes yes I know, you old RE fans hate them because Dante got a haircut or something.

Wait...

Anyway, the problem with RE 6 compared to RE 5 is that 6 is a bit harder to find enjoyability in replaying. My SO and I played through 5 multiple times but they changed the way upgrades work in 6 and made it much less attractive to play through again.

Still a pretty fantastic trainwreck of a game and the best TPS I've played outside of Vanquish.

Oh, and thanks for the write-up Creaking, great read.

Riposte

Melee (in addition to plenty of other interesting action mechanics) is one of the things that sets the series apart from other TPS. The last thing I want is another Lost Planet 3 situation. The action cutscenes and cinematic attacks are also some of the most entertaining in videogames (making the RE films all the more disappointing, I guess).

News Bot

Banned
Melee (in addition to plenty of other interesting action mechanics) is one of the things that sets the series apart from other TPS. The last thing I want is another Lost Planet 3 situation. The action cutscenes and cinematic attacks are also some of the most entertaining in videogames (making the RE films all the more disappointing, I guess).

You cannot fear things you can literally beat the shit out of.

I loved the shit out of RE6, it was my #2 game of 2012. It was the funnest game I played, even above Hotline Miami. The gameplay and underlying mechanics were excellent if you actually take time to learn them properly. The game did do a poor job of communicating them though. I loved the focus on agility and constant movement. The melee system, while simple was really satisfying and incredibly fun. People complain about it being too actiony but really it's the logical evolution of what 4 started. If you want to blame the "death" of this series on anything look at 4.

I dug the campaigns too, even Chris' (and I hate COD-type dudebro military shit). Leon's campaign was great aside from the very beginning but once you get past all the forced slow walking it really takes off, the end of the first chapter being straight out of the 2004 Dawn of the Dead.

The only real complaints I had about it were the QTEs and bosses designed in a way that was unclear whether you were damaging them or not.

I feel RE6 stands with Vanquish (the best 3D shooter ever made IMO), Uncharted 2 and Lost Planet 2 as one of the best 3rd person shooters there are purely in terms of gameplay.

News Bot

Banned

That would be rather false advertising, for one thing. Imagine playing Need for Speed and driving not being the central focus of the game.

Well, to be fair, in the older games you can easily dodge most zombies (even in the tight corridors), and they're slow and generally non threatening. Is that supposed to induce fear?

It did a very good job of inducing fear according to the series' popularity. Dodging is completely different and varies from person-to-person because it requires some level of skill. Zombies were also not the only enemy.

GeekyDad

Unfortunately, Jake's campaign is probably the best in the game, sans a few really bad splotches. So, it kinda goes downhill from where you're at. The beginning of Leon's campaign is great, and overall it's not bad, but it gets progressively worse. Chris' campaign is mostly meh from start to finish, with a few decent highlights. All that being said, I enjoyed the new mechanics and enemies. Mercs is a whole lot of fun...still. Some great improvements. It was a fun game. Bought it when it first came out for the full price. Didn't regret it. I typically ignore GAF gangbangs on games, and this one was no exception. Been with the series a long time now, and this is, as should be no surprise by now, yet another shift further away from survival-horror, but it was fun for what it was. Ada's campaign is both the best and worst parts of the game. Some great stuff in there, as well as some terrible throwbacks to static-camera manipulation. The story is terrible in a good way. I still love the characters, except for Chris. At this point, I wish he would die already for good, a miserable, painful death. Get those damned meatsticks out of my RE.

Riposte

That would be rather false advertising, for one thing. Imagine playing Need for Speed and driving not being the central focus of the game.

I would say Resident Evil 6's advertising was pretty accurate to the game. It is up to the individual to decide if high energy action scenes/mechanics mixed with creepy monster designs/desperate situations and jump scare moments are enough to sate them. They clearly demonstrated RE6 was a TPS, so your example is poor.

marrec

Banned

I don't think they advertised Resident Evil 6 as 'A stodgy old horror game with poor mechanics and terribly translated dialog!'.

Capcom called it 'dramatic horror', which seems pretty apt as the game is overly dramatic and the now well translated dialog is still horrific.

It did a very good job of inducing fear according to the series' popularity. Dodging is completely different and varies from person-to-person because it requires some level of skill. Zombies were also not the only enemy.
Well timed melee attacks also require some level of skill, especially with a knife. This even goes way back in the series' history. Zombies weren't the only enemies true, but they were certainly the main ones and they're slow and non-threatening. I think having more advance melee combats fits in the newer games because the newer enemies are far more threatening.

News Bot

Banned
I would say Resident Evil 6's advertising was pretty accurate to the game. It is up to the individual to decide if high energy action scenes/mechanics mixed with creepy monster designs/desperate situations and jump scare moments are enough to sate them. They clearly demonstrated RE6 was a TPS, so your example is poor.

I can quite clearly remember such adjectives as "terrifying", "atmospheric", "horrific", "old-school BIO" and so on being blabbered by every producer of the game. Not "high-octane action!"

"Creepy designs" is not a testament to horror. I've seen FPS games with better and creepier designs, but they're still not horror games.

I don't think they advertised Resident Evil 6 as 'A stodgy old horror game with poor mechanics and terribly translated dialog!'.

Capcom called it 'dramatic horror', which seems pretty apt as the game is overly dramatic and the now well translated dialog is still horrific.

Who said either of those was needed for a horror game? I don't like them either and have gone pretty far out of my way to make it known that the dialogue is badly translated; more than anyone in the world can probably attest to, really.

Well timed melee attacks also require some level of skill, especially with a knife. This even goes way back in the series' history. Zombies weren't the only enemies true, but they were certainly the main ones and they're slow and non-threatening. I think having more advance melee combats fits in the newer games because the newer enemies are far more threatening.

They're hardly non-threatening. The thing about horror in any medium is that you get desensitised to it. Gameplay mechanics can be adapted to, etc. Just because you don't find them a threat anymore doesn't mean that someone untrained won't have a hard time.

The newer enemies are less threatening precisely because of melee. BIO4's Verdugo alone was more threatening than any enemy in BIO6.

marrec

Banned
Who said either of those was needed for a horror game? I don't like them either and have gone pretty far out of my way to make it known that the dialogue is badly translated; more than anyone in the world can probably attest to, really.

I'm wonder what you're comparing it to then... the new Resident Evil movies are still advertised as 'horror' movies even though they're nothing of the sort. Horror, as a genre, has quite a wide gene-pool to pull from.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
You cannot fear things you can literally beat the shit out of.

Yes, but some gamer enjoy beating the shit out of monster.

Jake scene with Ustanak become very goofy because of that, and i laugh at it due to amount of ridiculousness on that scene.

I play Chris scene with beat-em up/ brawler game set in mind, thus i never run out of ammo, and beat 80% (estimation) of the enemy using Chris 'boulder punch' style.

It make the game far more enjoyable then trying to COD or GOW it.

News Bot

Banned
Yes, but some gamer enjoy beating the shit out of monster.

Jake scene with Ustanak become very goofy because of that, and i laugh at it due to amount of ridiculousness on that scene.

I play Chris scene with beat-em up/ brawler game set in mind, thus i never run out of ammo, and beat 80% (estimation) of the enemy using Chris 'boulder punch' style.

It make the game far more enjoyable then trying to COD or GOW it.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be monster beat-em-up games. Just that Resident Evil shouldn't be one because it's the precise opposite of what the series is supposed to be about (yes, supposed).

Dead Aim is fucking better as a horror game than BIO6.

EDIT: To clarify, I was a huge supporter of the "one side horror, one side action" approach CAPCOM appeared to be taking. I'd prefer separate games for each rather than one game trying to find a non-existent balance. It just so happened that all three attempts were pretty fucking shitty and they couldn't even move away from the action element in the supposedly "old school horror" attempt.

Ein Bear

I'm in the middle of re-playing RE6 myself, and am enjoying it a lot more this time (in co-op) than the last time I played it at launch (single player). I think they key with both RE5 and RE6 is to just accept that the series isn't really a single-player horror franchise anymore, and to play them as the co-op action shooters they are.

I still hate the skill points system though, it's so boring. They need to bring back the Merchant and weapon upgrades for RE7.

Top Bottom