• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 6 (more fun than a houseful of C-virus!)

joe2187

Banned
The thing is it was fine in BIO4/BIO5 given the context--- you were facing humans infected with a parasite with little ability to infect others. But putting your hands all over a literal walking pus-leaking, blood-spewing vessel of a deadly contagion isn't exactly the brightest thing ever.

Am I the only that notices that you're playing a video game? Who cares? have fun for shits sake.

I love the fact that RE4 is considered the greatest game in existence and everyone praises like it was Jesus's taint on a silver platter. But RE4 is the exact moment that the RE series stopped being about horror and started being Super american manly men saving the world by going to foreign countries and commiting genocide FOR AMERICA! RE4 was pure action and not much horror involved, and when the subsequent games follow the same formula everybody loses their shit.

Seyavesh

Super american manly men saving the world by going to foreign countries and commiting genocide FOR AMERICA!

(not mine)
biohazard13.gif

Fehyd

Banned
Am I the only that notices that you're playing a video game? Who cares? have fun for shits sake.

I love the fact that RE4 is considered the greatest game in existence and everyone praises like it was Jesus's taint on a silver platter. But RE4 is the exact moment that the RE series stopped being about horror and started being Super american manly men saving the world by going to foreign countries and commiting genocide FOR AMERICA! RE4 was pure action and not much horror involved, and when the subsequent games follow the same formula everybody loses their shit.

This sums up my thoughts exactly.

I actually loved RE6. Does is have its flaws? Sure, but it isn't the worst thing to be released, (heck, its not even the worst mainline Resident Evil game).

Jawmuncher

I agree with all of this.
Still bothers me how RE4 can get the pass in terms of it's tone but not 5 or 6.

News Bot

Banned
Haha, I bet Revelations really pissed you off about that then, what with the whole "we've got to find the cure!" *sticks uncovered hands into mouths, goop, whatever of virus*

"Don't worry, I've done this before!"
*sticks hand up monster of unknown origin's asshole*

Melee should not be there is the point, whether it be from a gameplay or story standpoint. It goes against even the standards set by BIO4, let alone the earlier games.

Ducktail

I'm wonder what you're comparing it to then... the new Resident Evil movies are still advertised as 'horror' movies even though they're nothing of the sort. Horror, as a genre, has quite a wide gene-pool to pull from.

Sorry for the offtopic, but dude... you look exactly like me. Is that a pic of you? showed it to a couple of friends and they think it's uncanny.

On to the topic:

I had a lot of fun playing this came on coop, but the abundance of characters and multiple locations end up taking the immersion out of it. I think that's what's missing from Resident Evil nowadays.

nullref

At a certain point, criticizing these games for not being "horror" enough, or being too action-oriented, stops being a criticism of the games themselves, and just becomes a problem of your own expectations (or maybe Capcom's PR, I guess). If you liked the series better before, that's fine and I sympathize, but the resentment over it seems a little excessive. (It dominates pretty much every Resident Evil thread.)

I don't know why capcom insists on having convoluted multiple character playable stories with forced coop. It hasn't had any benefit for the series.

It's had the benefit of creating a couple really great co-op games, which is worthwhile in its own right. It's a shame that it's come at the expense of the single-player experience, granted.

RSLYG

Resident Evil 6 is insult to basic human decency. It is as highly recommended as bathing in a pool full of HIV injected needles.
The movement is terrible, the characters are not very responsive.
The gunplay is weak, why exactly would zombies be bullet sponges? why don't headshots drop zombies? why is punching a zombie a more effective way of disposing of one then shooting one?
Why are the save points so far a way? on one level in the leon campaign (Cemetary) you have to go underground and flip some switches the whole thing take about 20 minutes but it's not that easy because you get seperated and the zombies swarm your partner. if you stop playing and pick it up again they start you back maybe 20 minutes before that.
The story line is complete garbage.
The game fails as an action game because of clumsy controls, fails as a survival game because of bullet sponge enemies and fails as a fun game because it doesn't excel at anything.
a.k.a I sucked at this game.
LOL

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice

Dropping truth bombs. I love RE5 and 6, and enjoyed 4. 4 is well-paced and great for a first playthrough, but I could never get myself to finish a replay, whereas I finished RE5 seven times (and even suffered through Professional with a GAFfer). 6 has an even better combat system, and they can take away the expanded movement and melee options from my cold, dead, mutated tentacles/claws/bandersnatcharm.

I prefer the original RE game-style, but since Capcom has taken this road, at least they're doing interesting things with the action mechanics. Revelations was a disappointment, and Raid Mode was fun until I realised how big of a grindfest it really is. Keep that leveling up, item-farming shit out of my future RE bonus modes.

RE1 = CVX = Outbreak games > REmake = RE3 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Heroes Never Die >>>>> RE2

Jawmuncher

RE4's tone is different from RE5/6. It bothers me that people lump it with 5 and 6. 5 is mostly bright in comparison to 4. 6 is an uneven mix of both.

Wait what tones are we comparing.
I'm comparing over the top action. Which RE4 has even in it's earlier sections.
I get they all are different but personally I feel they all still fall into the same group.

Manu

"Don't worry, I've done this before!"
*sticks hand up monster of unknown origin's asshole*

The one that really bothered me in Revelaitons was Jill finding
Rachel
and saying "I found her, but she was a zombie."

Bitch, you're Jill Valentine, you've seen thousands of zombies and know very well that wasn't one. It irked me.

darkziosj

I blame Mikami Shinji leaving that made the crap that RE has become, capcom was like hell yeah now buff everyone, give them all kind of guns even tho they won't need it, delete zombies, bring on the half human armed guys!

Wait what tones are we comparing.
I'm comparing over the top action. Which RE4 has even in it's earlier sections.
I get they all are different but personally I feel they all still fall into the same group.

I'm talking about general mood and atmosphere. RE5 is fairly bright (shame that light mechanic from early pre-release didn't come to fruition, though) and has a very even sense of pacing. RE4 is much more subtle, and the way quieter, more moody segments blend and/or build up into tense actiony moments is one of the things that separates it from its successors. RE5/6 use the same template mechanically speaking, but build off a very different vibe in execution.

Mr_Zombie

Resident Evil 6 is insult to basic human decency. It is as highly recommended as bathing in a pool full of HIV injected needles.
The movement is terrible, the characters are not very responsive.
The gunplay is weak, why exactly would zombies be bullet sponges? why don't headshots drop zombies? why is punching a zombie a more effective way of disposing of one then shooting one?
Why are the save points so far a way? on one level in the leon campaign (Cemetary) you have to go underground and flip some switches the whole thing take about 20 minutes but it's not that easy because you get seperated and the zombies swarm your partner. if you stop playing and pick it up again they start you back maybe 20 minutes before that.
The story line is complete garbage.
The game fails as an action game because of clumsy controls, fails as a survival game because of bullet sponge enemies and fails as a fun game because it doesn't excel at anything.

Sometimes I feel that some people received a different, far inferior version of RE6.

Jawmuncher

I'm talking about general mood and atmosphere. RE5 is fairly bright (shame that light mechanic from early pre-release didn't come to fruition, though) and has a very even sense of pacing. RE4 is much more subtle, and the way quieter, more moody segments blend and/or build up into tense actiony moments is one of the things that separates it from its successors. RE5/6 use the same template mechanically speaking, but build off a very different vibe in execution.

Ahhh ok gotcha. Yeah RE4 for the most part does have better atmosphere. Hell I think Capcom could get a pass on Action Resident Evil games from a lot of people if they nailed the atmosphere again. If you make the game feel scary that's half the battle right there.

Sometimes I fell that some people received a different, far inferior version of RE6.

You'd be amazed the amount of people who don't know how to play RE6.
My brother who is fairly decent at games played the whole thing like RE4.

Levito

Banned
Waited for the PC version, ended up being the worst game I'd played it years.

Been playing RE since 96, and boy oh boy did this game just utterly destroy my interest in the franchise.

News Bot

Banned
The one that really bothered me in Revelaitons was Jill finding
Rachel
and saying "I found her, but she was a zombie."

Bitch, you're Jill Valentine, you've seen thousands of zombies and know very well that wasn't one. It irked me.

That's because that line was completely made up :p

In the original Japanese script, Jill just says something more to the effect of "she's a monster." Tons of stupid shit like this in the English versions. I mean, REV's English files also say "National Species Protection Committee" instead of the NATIONAL SECURITY COUNCIL. Just sub-par translation work par the course for the series.

One of several games I would like to get again since I got a new PS3, but now with the prospect of getting "definitive" versions of late last-gen games I'm hesitant. Probably won't happen though.

I just wanted to mention because I just remembered it, Wesker becomes president of Earth in the newest (last?) Resident Evil movie.

It is absolutely perfect and unbelievably hilarious.

edit 2:

7Puq8MA.jpg

Look at that. Look at that!

Ahahahahahaha, I can't stop laughing at this. President of Earth.

Sectus

When is the last time anyone thought a RE game was actually scary? When I think back of what the series has been I can think of Jill sandwiches, villains controlling monsters by singing, Steve, complete global saturation, bingo, and other silly stuff. REmake is the only game I can think of which did a good job as a horror game. At this point, I affiliate the franchise with great 3rd person action mechanics, not with horror.

nullref

Sometimes I feel that some people received a different, far inferior version of RE6.

If they played it pre-FOV patch, they kind of did. I'd barely started the game when the patch came out, and pulling back the camera was a big improvement for me personally.

marrec

Banned
Sorry for the offtopic, but dude... you look exactly like me. Is that a pic of you? showed it to a couple of friends and they think it's uncanny.

On to the topic:

I had a lot of fun playing this came on coop, but the abundance of characters and multiple locations end up taking the immersion out of it. I think that's what's missing from Resident Evil nowadays.

Yes that's me and OMG I have a doppleganger now.

You should join the Real Pic thread on the OT side so we can compare and contrast.

joe2187

Banned
When is the last time anyone thought a RE game was actually scary? When I think back of what the series has been I can think of Jill sandwiches, villains controlling monsters by singing, Steve, complete global saturation, bingo, and other silly stuff. REmake is the only game I can think of which did a good job as a horror game. At this point, I affiliate the franchise with great 3rd person action mechanics, not with horror.

This.

The entire series since it's beginning has been filled to the brim with over the top cheese and thats what makes it RE.

The only way to bring back the original horror atmosphere of the franchise, either take the REmake formula along with the awesome fixed camera angles and tank controls. ( I really miss fixed camera and tank controls)

Scary? Not really but the atmosphere and horror settings were generally fantastic in the earlier games, and I will never associate third person action mechanics with a series that started out and kept going as survival horror with an emphasis on being lost and puzzle solving. The new games are a lot of fun, but I definitely don't look forward to these for combat mechanics. But after 3 games of nothing but that, it's what I expect.

Reebot

To be fair, it does control noticeably worse on consoles due to the terrible frame rate. Also, a lot of the animations for death or hit, specifically on zombies, are really ambiguous, contributing to the popular sentiment about hitreg or bullet sponge enemies.

I don't get the bullet sponge complaints either. Every Resident evil game has had zombies take a lot of hits if you are shooting them in the body. If you shoot them in the head you will either kill them or force a mutation or set them up for a melee finisher, just like RE4. RE6 even has other reactions like shooting them in the legs while running will knock them over, which can set them up for a head stomp. You can also shoot them in the shoulder to spin them around, then do a melee finisher from behind. The hit reactions in this game are great, and far better than the average TPS.

flip.gif

Mr_Zombie

Also, a lot of the animations for death or hit, specifically on zombies, are really ambiguous, contributing to the popular sentiment about hitreg or bullet sponge enemies.

I disagree with that. After playing Mercenaries for hours I can say that it's very easy to say whether an enemy is stunned, dying or is about to attack you. Not to mention, there's visible damage on both zombies and J'avos (whether it's destroyed clothes/masks, holes in body, half-destroyed heads etc.).

Just like in RE4 and RE5 (and, to some degree, RE:R), shooting enemy in the certain hit points (top of the head, leg, arm) will result in them staggering back or turning around. They don't just stay still while sucking your bullets in, they do react to them. Also, the reaction can differ depending whether the enemy was standing/slowly walking or running when you shoot it.

Reebot

I disagree with that. After playing Mercenaries for hours I can say that it's very easy to say whether an enemy is stunned, dying or is about to attack you. Not to mention, there's visible damage on both zombies and J'avos (whether it's destroyed clothes/masks, holes in body, half-destroyed heads etc.).

Just like in RE4 and RE5 (and, to some degree, RE:R), shooting enemy in the certain hit points (top of the head, leg, arm) will result in them staggering back or turning around. They don't just stay still while sucking your bullets in, they do react to them. Also, the reaction can differ depending whether the enemy was standing/slowly walking or running when you shoot it.

You can tell because you've played it for hours; as have I. To the casual player, most of the animations are pretty subtle (my evidence here is the widespread and constant criticisms).

Take specifically the death animation on the zombie, dissolving from a standing walking position. If shot in the head, and that shot triggers enough damage to kill, the zombie just continues walking for a bit, then slowly falls apart. There's about 1-2 seconds of hang time - time without any real feedback.

J'avos are a different story, its pretty clear whats happening to them at any given moment.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'm in the middle of re-playing RE6 myself, and am enjoying it a lot more this time (in co-op) than the last time I played it at launch (single player). I think they key with both RE5 and RE6 is to just accept that the series isn't really a single-player horror franchise anymore, and to play them as the co-op action shooters they are.

I still hate the skill points system though, it's so boring. They need to bring back the Merchant and weapon upgrades for RE7.

And treasure hunting! Finding treasure in RE4 and combining them was really fun.

Mr_Zombie

Resident Evil games were always full of silly and campy stuff (sometimes it was intentional, sometimes it was a result of crappy translation and/or voice acting). But they were scary, or at least creepy. While I love current RE games, by making main characters overpowered those games remove a huge part of the scary factor. In previous RE games every encounter with Hunters were scary (unless you were carrying a magnum or had a pack of shotgun shells), because they could very easily one-hit kill you. I remember I always dreaded the hospital part in RE3 because Carlos had a limited amount of ammo and it was very easy to get trapped by two Hunters Gamma in the laboratory on the lower lever. Such moments are a rarity in current RE games. Not only you have a huge arsenal of weapons with you, if needed, you can also kick and punch enemies to death (and that kicking and punching is often even much more useful than shooting enemies).

You can tell because you've played it for hours; as have I. To the casual player, most of the animations are pretty subtle (my evidence here is the widespread and constant criticisms).

It's not that. Sure, reading all the subtle animations is the result of hours spent on playing the game, but even when I was playing the game for the first time I was wondering what the hell were people complaining about in the RE6 demo thread. I remember reading stuff about bullet sponge zombies and no visible damage indicators on them. Which is obviously weird because with just one shot you can leave a zombie with just a half of his head; or shoot part of his leg/arm off; or shoot holes in his torso. It's far better than what most TPS games offer where enemies (even human enemies, so we're not talking about undead/mutated ones) just suck bullets into their bodies, shrug it off and continue shooting at you.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Honestly as much as I'd get lynched for saying this, I hope the series continues in the direction of RE6, the gameplay was superb where they got everything wrong was the fragmented story and terrible atmosphere / setting. The stakes were way too fucking high for a resident evil game, the whole thing should have felt more contained.

If we get an RE with RE6 controls in an abandoned town with a spooky mansion that has its token hidden high tech laboratory under it I'd be in love, in a game filled with checking every corner of every room and having a decent bit of puzzles here and there I think it' be perfect.

I don't think Jake is that good of a character but he was fun and he's clearly poised to becoming the next protagonist of the series.

Its an awful Resident Evil game, if it was a new IP than it would be regarded more highly. I liked it better than Binary Domain and i really enjoyed Binary Domain. RE6 has a few good things going for it. Lots of enemy types, bosses and diverse locations. The game play is no worse than your typical tps game.

Guy.brush

Played coop through it. would not have otherwise.
As has already been mentioned: The core mechanics are solid albeit too many animations that I never used, like rolling and crawling on the floor.
The problem is that there is not enough uninterrupted gameplay built for those mechanics.
The game is a ridiculous mess of cinematics, QTEs and one giant pile of shit story.
Too many scenarios and too many "WTF zombies in helicopters with missiles"-sequences.
Also hated the QTEs as those were the only parts were my coop partner and I died REGULARLY. So ridiculous.

The worst part of the game: In order to unlock the secret Ada campaign you have to sit through the end credits. And they are literally 30minutes long. AND THERE IS NO BUTTON TO ABORT. WTF.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The game has gdlk mechanics. Probably the most fun I've had outside of Vanquish. The campaign...fucking sucks...a lot. Mix of repetition between character actions, pacing issues, repeating terrible bosses, the snow stage, annoying regenerators,the insulting puzzles thrown in to shut a fanbase up (instead of taking thought), weak ass Nemesis lite, and a weakass atmosphere (terrible considering how oppressive the story is). Mercs mode is the only saving grace for RE6. I had to force myself to finish the story mode.

As much as I dislike RE 5, it's the better game. Outside of combat mechanics, RE 4 is still better than both of them.

Mr_Zombie

The worst part of the game: In order to unlock the secret Ada campaign you have to sit through the end credits. And they are literally 30minutes long. AND THERE IS NO BUTTON TO ABORT. WTF.

I'm pretty sure you can skip credits by (on PC) pressing Esc or Enter.

This whole discussion made me undust my copy of RE5 today. Boy, how I was constantly catching myself on wanting to duck or perform melee combos without button prompts :lol You can feel how much more restrictive older games are (playing RE4 HD will probably be very painful at fist :lol). I was also surprised that several minutes after I started playing RE5 someone joined me to play co-op. And then, when he/she dropped, someone else tried to join me. Didn't know this game is still so popular. :D

Pfft, one is a GOD and the other is a cyborg or perfect implementation of a virus or something (what was the original idea behind that?)

edit: I just wanted to mention because I just remembered it, Wesker becomes president of Earth in the newest (last?) Resident Evil movie.

It is absolutely perfect and unbelievably hilarious.

edit 2:

7Puq8MA.jpg

Look at that. Look at that!

Ahahahahahaha, I can't stop laughing at this. President of Earth.

It's like a five year old was handed the job of writing the script. Why, WHY, do japanese games have to so to the degree of stupid characters and behaviour. They seem obsessed in making stereotypical bad-guys that are cocky and with evil laughter.

Mr_Zombie

It's like a five year old was handed the job of writing the script. Why, WHY, do japanese games have to so to the degree of stupid characters and behaviour. They seem obsessed in making stereotypical bad-guys that are cocky and with evil laughter.

It's from the movie. RE games have their share of stupidity, but nothing THAT stupid.

Top Bottom