• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 6. why gamers got me vex

Wasp

I never bothered buying Resi 6. Mainly because the trick from Resi 5 where if you set the console's resolution to SD you can play splitscreen with no borders doesn't work in Resi 6. And I wasn't going to play the game with those tiny screens in splitscreen, especially when the game seems significantly darker than Resi 5.

I played seven chapters and had to stop. It's just terrible. A stain on one of my favorite franchises.

I played after all the patches were released and RE5 is probably my game of the generation. You can believe me when I say that RE6 is a piece of shit game. I even played it in coop and it didn't do the trick.

Fuck that game.

RE5 was not a great game. Gun toting zombies with armor, uninspired enemies, worst way to end one of the iconic RE characters ever.

It was a straight up action game. At least RE6 tries to do survival horror. RE5 just threw it out the window entirely (with a frustrating quicktime event).

I haven't finished RE6 mainly because I was playing it with my wife. Splitscreen on it kinda sucks imho

Another thing i hated is multiple character games. Always feel like im getting 1/4 of a game and short story. Just choose one dude and gimme one story. not some 3 hour ting and see that shit 4x from different view points. Its mainly why i didnt enjoy adai's campaign that much. I had seen everything already. I rate the submarine infiltration tho...

minor point, but should be 'why i dint enjoy'...

Manu

People who prefer Revelations usually act like the levels in Terragrigia or the ice levels didn't exist.

If you work for Capcom, read this. Don't listen to gamers on websites. If you do, you'll end up making a game that sells a few thousand and kill off your series. They are a vocal minority of a minority. RE6 is great and continue in this direction.

While I too thought the game was a lot of fun, I think you're kind of missing the point championed by this "vocal minority." We don't necessarily want the series to revert back to archaic controls, but we also don't think Resident Evil should be a cover shooter, either. RE4 was on the right track with the atmosphere in the first third, but then I felt it veered off into lala land and just kept going and getting more ridiculous but not really in a good way.

I loved playing RE6 and I liked the controls, but I didn't like these military focused scenarios and lack of atmosphere. I think people simply want a compromise-- RE is known for its atmosphere, claustrophobic environments, some puzzles here and there-- you know that downtime that helps the pacing and that makes the environments breathe so to speak. Throwing the series into the Gears of War washing machine isn't what a lot of people really want; leave that to those IP's that were born that way.

RE6 had a really interesting and control scheme that, for what it's worth, I thought worked very well. The problems came from the horrible vehicle sections, the tonal inconsistencies, zombies wearing Yakuza masks, random tanks and helicopters and shit everywhere, and so on. I think a game like RE6 but with amazing atmosphere and some slower moments to compliment the action would be fucking awesome, but I don't think RE6 itself handled that very well.

Leon's scenario started off well enough, but it was extremely straightforward to the point where it felt like it was on-rails. The mood was there, but it wasn't open enough to explore, and on replays it feels like a total slog because it's a series of telegraphed sequences.

I've only played the first two or so Jake chapters. Jake 2 was so bad I never played Resident Evil 6 again.

Really liked what I've played of Revelations though it needs more variety in enemies.

Jawmuncher

I've only played the first two or so Jake chapters. Jake 2 was so bad I never played Resident Evil 6 again.

Really liked what I've played of Revelations though it needs more variety in enemies.

Jake 2 is the worst chapter in the entire game.
Thankfully you can run through it really quick and never bother with it again.

RE6 in my eyes is a pretty good example of flawed greatness.
The gameplay is top notch and when it gets going it can be a lot of fun.
But the campaign is so hit and miss sometimes even though I enjoyed most of it.

Great post full of proof that RE6 is one of the best playing most dynamic third person shooters ever made. It almost seems reductive to call it a TPS because there are so many brawling elements.

And to the person complaining that there are no reasons to use the abilities they give you, that is insane. All you have to do is watch some of the video reviews of this game from when it came out and see the players getting constantly grabbed or hit by enemies that they have no idea how to deal with because they are either trying to play it like a Gears style cover shooter or play like RE5/RE4. Giantbomb's Quick look is a good example, the player can not evade the leaping zombie enemies and blames the game for it instead of using one of the many ways to evade. Part of this is certainly the game's fault for not having a proper tutorial. But there are many enemies in the game designed specifically with the player's abilities in mind. These enemies would absolutely wreck the player if placed in a game with the limited movement and capabilities in say an older RE or any other TPS outside of Vanquish.

Obligatory RE6 gifs:

ibyMtqFYMbBquI.gif

ifor1FGDTaeqT.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The original game had some issues. Pacing was a big thing. Patches that subsequently broke up the longer levels were absolutely heaven sent. I actually regard the game quite highly now but I think the narrative and plotting suffer heavily from being split into pieces.

BadWolf

The funny thing is that RE6 would have been a better game had they thrown less money at it and focused more on its fantastic TPS mechanics instead of throwing QTE moments, on the rails sections, vehicle combat (car, trucks, , snowmobile, harrier, helicopter... fuckin really?) and the rest of that junk.

Personally I really liked the game minus the above mentioned distractions. Unfortunately they bunched a lot of those gimmicky things into the Jake and Ada chapters which is why I didn't enjoy them as much.

The Leon and Chris campaigns I really liked though for the most part and you get plenty of opportunities to enjoy the core combat.

Overall, I am very glad I gave it a shot and ignored the hate. Will go back to it for sure and re-play the Leon and the Cris chapters.

Tried Revelations for a bit the other day and it just felt so dry in comparison to RE6.

Hindle

Banned
Capcom tried to copy Western tropes too much and lost their identity in the process. RE6 for me is the Batman and Robin of the series, it's way too camp and over the top.

BadWolf

The game is further proof that Capcom is probably the best when it comes to animation in games. From the way the characters move and the enemies and bosses animate, everything is just so well done and feels like it has proper weight. They really outdid themselves in Dragon's Dogma as well.

Neff

RE6 is a thing of beauty and perhaps the most unfairly and unreasonably maligned game of all time.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I love RE6. It may not be very reminiscent of the older classics at all, but it's very fun, and the mechanics are simply amazing.

Even if the next RE is a horror, I don't think they should have to get rid of the mechanics. With gaming making so many improvements, regressing back to tank controls isn't ideal. The mechanics aren't the problem, the pacing and focus is. Let's not get rid of something 6 did right altogether if all it needs is polish.

Korigama

I'm so disconnected with the people that prefer Revelations to RE6. It's a stance I don't really understand.

Me too. Revelations is downright shoddy compared to RE6.
Part of why I liked Revelations better is that it had more focus in respect to what it was trying to do with its approach (i.e., mechanics, narrative, presentation), and though flawed, felt closer to striking a balance between paced, more deliberate gameplay and all-out action for most of the game. With RE6, they attempted to please everyone, the product being the very embodiment of "too many cooks". Basically, Revelations felt more like a Resident Evil than RE6, which went in a completely different direction from what came before it and seemed no different from those terrible live-action films. I got the impression that the team behind Revelations at least tried, whereas the people behind RE6 weren't interested in making anything that even remotely resembled the franchise anymore.

If I were to complain about anything specific with Revelations, it was the melee going in the complete opposite direction of RE6's overemphasis by scaling it back entirely too much.
People who prefer Revelations usually act like the levels in Terragrigia or the ice levels didn't exist.
I actually liked Terragrigia as a location, my hate for Hunters aside. Was indifferent to the wolf ice levels, despised any with invisible Hunters.

Chabbles

Fans of the originals can only hope that Re-REmake brings in alot of sales, and maybe Evil Within will do great and encourage Capcom to return to the atmosphere and settings that made Resi so so good and popular to begin with, they dont have to go back to tank controlls or even the fixed camera.. hell, they could even continue down the same path that the series has being heading for Resi 7, but give the oldschool fans a spinoff proper Resi.. or vice versa

As humorous as your OP is Mufasa, imo you reached your comedic peak with this one http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747202&highlight= For your protection, please be advised to rubber up before attempting to read. (an attempt to shed some light into the mind of a person who could form such strong opinions expressed in the OP)

Resident Evil 6 is one of my favorite games of the generation. It's one of the few games that I actually had a shit ton of fun with. Love it.

Here's hoping to see a return of the gameplay, even if it's in some other game series. I just want more Resident Evil 6 gameplay, man. It's just too good to toss away.

MechaX

RE6's campaign was annoying as fuck, boring in some spots, and terrible in other spots, I thought.

Lucky thing RE6's mercenaries mode, DLC shenanigans not-withstanding, is actually pretty fun. And guess which mode a vast majority of these gifs come from!

That's so sick! The mechanics in this game were great, and these gifs are making me want to go replay it, or at least play a little Mercenaries mode. That being said, I think the mechanics are about the only part of this game that were really good. I liked some parts of it, and I liked the new character, Jake, but that's about it.

Anyway, Black Soma, sliding and planting a bomb is one of the coolest things! Especially doing a 180 after dropping it to see the carnage when you detonate it without even getting up ;) I wish I had a GIF of that.

Yeah, that is so satisfying :D

I couldn't even get into mercs. Replacing the UI button with a taunt was so stupid, I couldn't easily see how many bullets I had or health so I just had to wing it. So annoying.

Uh I think you just turned the HUD off from the options. It's always on by default.

Honestly the one thing that just killed it for me was having a fucking QTE every single time you took damage. You can't just have a walker swipe me and hurt my character? FFS even in the graveyard early on I was getting into 4-5 QTE a minute once I started getting hit. Just over and over again. It broke up the gameplay every minute and just made it a horrible slog. I still have my copy and sometimes I stare at it and wonder if I could ever finish it.

When an enemy grabs you you have to press buttons to break free. It was always like this in the past games, but here you have to press specific buttons. Not sure what's wrong with that.

Also, you can solve this by not getting grabbed :p The game offers many options, it's up to you to use them. You can just move away, you can roll away, you can quickshot an enemy before he grabs you, or you can counter his grab.

Man if somehow RE6's gameplay and RE remake's atmosphere could fuck, the little deformed shit would be a truly amazing horror game.

Korigama

Man if somehow RE6's gameplay and RE remake's atmosphere could fuck, the little deformed shit would be a truly amazing horror game.
Would it, though? Being able to roll around and ground fire at, slide into, kung fu fight, and wrestle everything in sight seems like it would only trivialize anything that could possibly pose a threat in REmake's setting. Certainly wouldn't count as a horror game anymore so much as an action game with horror-themed enemies.

Would it, though? Being able to roll around and ground fire at, slide into, kung fu fight, and wrestle everything in sight seems like it would only trivialize anything that could possibly pose a threat in REmake's setting. Certainly wouldn't count as a horror game anymore so much as an action game with horror-themed enemies.

I'm of the opinion that monsters aren't what makes a horror game scary. Despite being a huge Silent Hill fan, the enemies rarely ever bother me (despite being brilliant, artistically and how they impact the narrative), and Resident Evil, apart from the slower, more puzzle-oriented design of the earlier ones, were more or less action games with a horror theme. My problem with the newer games is the considerable lack of said horror thematics. A game with the gameplay of RE6 but the actual thick, claustrophobic atmosphere of the earlier games would be awesome to me.

It's always the setting, sound design, and atmosphere that gets to me; not so much the enemies. Just because your character can be a badass and perform a lot of actions doesn't mean it has to have a military shooter vibe. Resident Evil 5 was huge on action, but when they made that Lost in Nightmares DLC, while not particularly scary, the atmosphere was on point, there were puzzle/collection elements-- and there for a little bit the whole damn thing felt right at home.

The part near the end, for example, when you lose your gear and there's some huge bastards down in the trap with you and you have to use some cunning to get around them and get back on track; despite playing as a human gym, it was very intense because they put a little thought into it and the atmosphere was awesome. You can have plenty of sections like these, puzzles, slower moments, and great atmosphere despite your level of badassness.

The haters can't describe why they hate a game they never played.

How's it going Bish-bait? While some people freely admit they didn't bother to play it, many have and didn't enjoy it for many reasons, from the terrible mish-mash structure of each element of the game being brought together to it just being as far as a departure as possible from the series. Maybe some are agreeable, some aren't. Doesn't warrant your shit posting though.

Locked thread and a ban please

I think FreeMufasa is a bit of a running gag, so I'm not going to take it too seriously. Should have gone a better route there though and have seen plenty of bans for far less.

Post-patch, Resident Evil 6 has a lot of combat strengths and subtelties that go ignored by most players because the game also features the worst tutorial I've ever seen (and no instructions because Capcom was cheap). At launch, the game's camera was claustrophobic and clunky.

It also had some neat ideas with the integrated online play.

That said, the game lacks focus, direction, and proper pacing. The skill system replacing currency was a mistake. The story's writing and overall narrative is abysmal (just forget Umbrella and move on, for everyone's sake). Certain aspects of the game, like Ustanek, were handled in a very sloppy and repetitive way.

This wraps up my thoughts rather nicely. RE6 isn't a bad game, nor do I think that the base gameplay is an issue. It's how the overall game was executed that I feel puts it even below that of RE5, which was just trying to chase RE4 and only succeeded in bringing co-op to the series. If RE keeps going in this direction, fine; it's lost it's identity long-ago that why give a fuck anymore? I just want it to settle and be an overall phenomenal game again instead of having only one aspect or two to rely on that are compromised by the terrible design choices in the rest of the game.

I'd also like to point out that bringing of the sales of the series as evidence to the success of the direction is some of the most narrow-minded arguments I've seen in regards to this series.

RE5 and RE6 didn't sell above and beyond because of awesome counters and mercenaries. They sold because the mindshare of Resident Evil had been at an all time high following not only the release of the commercially successful films, but also due to both RE5 and RE6 having massive marketing campaigns that few games can compare to.
Fans of the originals can only hope that Re-REmake brings in alot of sales, and maybe Evil Within will do great and encourage Capcom to return to the atmosphere and settings that made Resi so so good and popular to begin with, they dont have to go back to tank controlls or even the fixed camera.. hell, they could even continue down the same path that the series has being heading for Resi 7, but give the oldschool fans a spinoff proper Resi.. or vice versa

It's likely not going to sell well. I don't see a digital only (except PS3 in Japan whoopti-doo) 'remaster' of a 12-13 year old game matching Capcom's generally high expectations.

DedValve

Banned
The original game had some issues. Pacing was a big thing. Patches that subsequently broke up the longer levels were absolutely heaven sent. I actually regard the game quite highly now but I think the narrative and plotting suffer heavily from being split into pieces.

Wait patches actually split up the chapters?

Jesus and I thought some of these levels where already long.

Yeah, that is so satisfying :D

Uh I think you just turned the HUD off from the options. It's always on by default.

Nope. First thing I checked. It goes away so you have to press LB(I think) to bring it back up but in mercs its replaced by a taunt and it only works half the time.

FloatOn

I can only handle this game in hour long doses.

while the shooting feels nice everything else is just too ridiculous to believe.

Wait patches actually split up the chapters?

Jesus and I thought some of these levels where already long.
Actually I don't think they did that. They did add an option to select and play sub chapters though.

Nope. First thing I checked. It goes away so you have to press LB(I think) to bring it back up but in mercs its replaced by a taunt and it only works half the time.
Are you sure? I think you should check again, because it's always on when I play Mercenaries.

EDIT: This is the option you should be looking for.

fd4JFwK.jpg

Steroyd

If you work for Capcom, read this. Don't listen to gamers on websites. If you do, you'll end up making a game that sells a few thousand and kill off your series. They are a vocal minority of a minority. RE6 is great and continue in this direction.

Back to da LTTP.

Game is great. Finished all campaigns recently. My boy chris all decked out in military gear like he 'posed to be. Easily my favourite character and campagain. Leons was really good too. It bought back the heavy atmosphere of the old games. Weskers pickney dem campaign was aight but not my favourite. Least favourite was Aida campaign. The ship part was decent but everything else was just waste. Still, i liked every campaign. My boy chris holdin the swole down still. Got me vex the kid Leon could throw hands wit him for a minute. I know it's fantasy with zombies n shit but cmon, if it was real life he'd get clapped.

I swear Leon is a wasteman. That Helena chick was feenin for him and he didnt even try to get the cheeks. Her naked ass sister literally jumped on him. What he do? push of her of the cliff :lolololololol. I remember he did waste shit like this in RE4 too. Aida dont even want him but he still chasing after her. My boy Chris woulda waxed her cheeks off. penshot.

We've all heard enough on the mechanics and yea, theyre that good. Say no more.

Only thing I didnt like was skills. The hell I wanna do RPG shit in this game? Can't stand that but I didnt even use it still. I liked in resident evil 5 where you just get money and buy upgrades.

Another thing i hated is multiple character games. Always feel like im getting 1/4 of a game and short story. Just choose one dude and gimme one story. not some 3 hour ting and see that shit 4x from different view points. Its mainly why i didnt enjoy adai's campaign that much. I had seen everything already. I rate the submarine infiltration tho.

Overall, I rate it. Really liked it and would like to see capcom continue the series in this direction. BUT. Take inspiration from RE5. The game is the best in the series. And IMO the best action game along with gears of war. Multiple characters is ok but make it continuous and not the same situation from different perspective.

To the old fans. You guys need to face da facts. RE has evolved into something better. There's a reason why sales have exploded. Funny thing is, I like the older games too. But I know which way the series needs to be heading. Capcom, just look at the sales. nuff said. I really hope they continue in the direction of RE5/6. We have Silent hill for the pure horror now.

iyZaNsyDYo4QN.gif

I could shovel shit all day about the disjointed campaign, shitty AI partner, vehicle sections, , level design that felt like going from one arena to another, multiple main characters... never expected the story to be decent anyway and obliterating every ounce of atmosphere that the Resident Evil series was known for outside of that one section in Leon's campaign.

And it's one saving grace, the actual battle mechanics which are actually good, are varied and makes things interesting are never taught to you, now I'm not expecting a shitty tutorial to pop up every time because the game needs to act like I don't have a brain cell, but look at this Megaman Sequelitis, from the same company ironically, teaching game mechanics through game design whether they're the levels themselves, or enemies with attack patterns that necessitate the need to use such techniques, these are interesting and shakes things up every now and then, which doesn't happen in RE6 and makes the whole package feel terrible.

Riposte

When people say the level design is bad they focus too much on the QTE set pieces and vehicle moments, which is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The campaigns give you great opportunities to use the praised combat mechanics (you spend more time fighting with those mechanics than you do anything else by a long shot - which is to say, it plays like The Mercenaries, with stronger enemies) and presents a good variety of maps and environments that go along with a wide variety of interesting enemies.

MechaX

When people say the level design is bad they focus too much on the QTE set pieces and vehicle moments, which is like throwing out the baby with the bathwater. The campaigns give you great opportunities to use the praised combat mechanics (you spend more time fighting with those mechanics than you do anything else by a long shot - which is to say, it plays like The Mercenaries, with stronger enemies) and presents a good variety of maps and environments that go along with a wide variety of interesting enemies.

Eh... I think they are right to bring up the QTE and the set pieces simply due to how bad they are and how frequent they are. And in a fair chunk of the game, you won't be taking full advantage of the combat system. I mean, in Chris's section, you have areas with folks you can't get to and you are fully expected to go from chest-high-wall to chest-high-wall instead of utilizing the true meat of the combat mechanics. Leon, Jake's, and Ada's segments are slightly better... But in you are faced with weird stealth segments, lots of vehicle segments, or levels with excessively tight corridors. And it does not help that a lot of the boss fights are pretty bad.

Are you in situations like Mercenaries, where you have full reign to take full advantage of the combat mechanics? Sometimes. Will you be doing QTEs/Vehicle Segments/Bad Boss Fights that utilize none of the strengths of the combat? Most definitely. It does good things, and it does bad things. Of course, my big beef with RE6 as a whole is that it switches between the good and the bad so schizophrenically.

Seyavesh

Eh... I think they are right to bring up the QTE and the set pieces simply due to how bad they are and how frequent they are. And in a fair chunk of the game, you won't be taking full advantage of the combat system. I mean, in Chris's section, you have areas with folks you can't get to and you are fully expected to go from chest-high-wall to chest-high-wall instead of utilizing the true meat of the combat mechanics. Leon, Jake's, and Ada's segments are slightly better... But in you are faced with weird stealth segments, lots of vehicle segments, or levels with excessively tight corridors. And it does not help that a lot of the boss fights are pretty bad.

Are you in situations like Mercenaries, where you have full reign to take full advantage of the combat mechanics? Sometimes. Will you be doing QTEs/Vehicle Segments/Bad Boss Fights that utilize none of the strengths of the combat? Most definitely. It does good things, and it does bad things. Of course, my big beef with RE6 as a whole is that it switches between the good and the bad so schizophrenically.

i agree with all of this

however there is one bright side to the god awful setpieces:

it let these amazing gags get through

ivqcMwX6pGXh.gif

iYlajzE7620dy.gif

DedValve

Banned
Actually I don't think they did that. They did add an option to select and play sub chapters though.

Are you sure? I think you should check again, because it's always on when I play Mercenaries.

EDIT: This is the option you should be looking for.

fd4JFwK.jpg

I messed with settings, googled my problem and I think I even asked here (or on gamefaqs) before giving up.

No matter what I couldn't get the damn ui to stay on.

Riposte

What I'm saying is not "sometimes", but most of the time. And plenty of boss fights utilize the mechanics (particularly the humanoid ones), though perhaps you could be more specific what you mean by that.

Chris is actually the best showcase of the game's combat mechanics (and co-op design), so I'm left confused by your statement. With some very small exceptions (e.g., getting out of the elevator shaft in the chapter 1 by throwing a grenade from cover), cover hardly came into the picture (and when it was necessary to avoid gun fire with cover, I wasn't using the cover system). I don't not know what instances you are referring to, but if an enemy cannot be reached, it generally means you shoot them with a gun. In the case of long-distance enemies with long distance attacks, that's where Piers come into play. Piers serves a specific role as a sniper, which reflects that campaign's co-op design (Chris on the other hand has the stronger short-mid range starter weapon, and a knife for what it matters, to reflect his strengths).

Seyavesh

What I'm saying is not "sometimes", but most of the time. And plenty of boss fights utilize the mechanics (particularly the humanoid ones), though perhaps you could be more specific?

Chris is actually the best showcase of the game's combat mechanics (and co-op design), so I'm left confused by your statement. With some very small exceptions (e.g., getting out of the elevator shaft in the chapter 1 by throwing a grenade from cover), cover hardly came into the picture (and when it was necessary to avoid gun fire with cover, I wasn't using the cover system). I don't not know what instances you are referring to, but if an enemy cannot be reached, it generally means you shoot them with a gun. In the case of long-distance enemies with long distance attacks, that's where Piers come into play. Piers serves a specific role as a sniper, which reflects that campaign's co-op design (Chris on the other hand has the stronger short-mid range starter weapon, and a knife for what it matters, to reflect his strengths).

i think what he means is that the level's designs and how the npcs act (allied and enemy) alongside 'common sense'/game trends suggest to the player that they should be using the cover system. so many, many players do because the game teaches them nothing about playing the game properly. it's where most of the 'call of duty/gears of war' complaints come from. that there are enemies that you can't reach physically also plays to that and enforces the concept into the new player's head

as a player who understands the system obviously that isn't the most optimal way to play it- you're coming from that angle which is probably how capcom envisioned it too. like a 'okay you've got the option of doing this but also you can just go hamhocks if you want' kinda deal in terms of 'depth' regarding how different players will approach the same scenario.

you don't find the same traits in the other campaigns so the player is somewhat forced more to explore the core combat because there aren't really as many designed 'depth crutches'. at the very least instead of interpreting the core gameplay as a poor man's gears of war/call of duty as how the overall setpiece suggests in chris's campaign they interpret it as a poor man's re4.

you gotta look at the scenarios with the consideration that none of the game's interesting mechanics are ever required by a player and they can bungle through the game in a very frustrating manner not really knowing how to play because of how much leeway the game gives them on the default difficulty.

Top Bottom