• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[LTTP] Resident Evil franchise

Soodanim

Thanks for the clip. Wanted to look it up. What's the weapon Chris have ?

I find the Real survivor mode (with disconnected item box) really interesting. Probably really tedious to play but I like the concept.
That's the Rocket Launcher, the standard A rank unlock for all the games. Although, for some reason in REmake it looks more like a high tech grenade launcher.

cortadew

Wtf 7 was the best RE since code Veronica. It was great had the old school horror feel. I hope we get more of that formula. Kinda pissed at 8 going back to non horror formula because a few people got scared lol.
RE 1,2,3 were never a texas chainsaw massacre + PT rip off so I don't get this about the "old school formula".

quest

Not Banned from OT
RE 1,2,3 were never a texas chainsaw massacre + PT rip off so I don't get this about the "old school formula".
I said old school horror feel as in films from the 70s and 80s. I like that formula it actually feels like survival horror vs playing rambo in a RE setting. 7 tried to be scary and it was a great change from being an action hero in RE universe.

yurinka

I heard this already. I might think about it.

I remember (thanks to my crazy friend) the choice you were offered in RE3 and it sounds like an interesting idea. But it was removed from the remake.

So you say Remake 2 is a fine alternative to the Original RE 2 ?
I liked the RE3 remake even if it may not be as great and complete as the other two. I'd suggest you to play it and get your own opinion.

Neff

Oo. What's the One Dangerous Zombie ?

EtG6lm.jpg

Basically Zombie Forest is running around and if he touches you or you shoot him he explodes and it's game over.

He can bite you but you can't shoot or use a defensive grenade/flash on him. Not sure about the knife.

Wait, he's always in the game?

Once he's unlocked yes, he's permanently in the game.

cortadew

I said old school horror feel as in films from the 70s and 80s. I like that formula it actually feels like survival horror vs playing rambo in a RE setting. 7 tried to be scary and it was a great change from being an action hero in RE universe.
Oh ok now I understand.

DelireMan7

So I started Resident Evil 2 on PS1.

I didn't get the choice so I am with Leon and A scenario.

From what I understand, disc 2 will be Claire. I assume I get to play scenario B once I finish scenario A.

Really like the atmosphere. And damn ! I am in love with tank control !

The beginning is brutal. Zombies everywhere and you have to run. And the first typewriter is not close. I died before it so I had to restart once.
I then realize that the game gives you a lot of ammo compare to the first game so it looks more action oriented.

Solves the first few puzzles and got rubies and the first key.

Can't wait to continue.

Last edited:

kunonabi

So I started Resident Evil 2 on PS1.

I didn't get the choice so I am with Leon and A scenario.

From what I understand, disc will be Claire. I assume I get to play scenario B once I finish scenario A.

Really like the atmosphere. And damn ! I am in love with tank control !

The beginning is brutal. Zombies everywhere and you have to run. And the first typewriter is not close. I died before it so I had to restart once.
I then realize that the game gives you a lot of ammo compare to the first game so it looks more action oriented.

Solves the first few puzzles and got rubies and the first key.

Can't wait to continue.
Yeah, it doesn't give you a choice, it just goes by which disc you put in.

Soodanim

Back in 1999, I pretty much only played as Leon. I used a cheat cartridge for everything I could back then, and for Leon there was a debug code that let you change item slots at will (along with the expected infinite health). I was running round with cut items, which I bet only a very few people outside of hardcore fans and modders are aware exist. Most notably, chemicals that change grenade rounds into other types. Sound familiar, RE3 fans?

There was also a full item box cheats for both characters, and I had a habit of locking/breaking the game because I used key items long before they were accessible and it always locked at the same places: (Delire don't read this minor spoiler unless you don't care about the story) when you swap to a guest character, if you don't trigger events as you should it causes 2 of your character to be there and the in-engine cutscene never finishes. Presumably what the game is waiting for isn't loaded in memory so the game waits for it forever.

Reizo Ryuu

Ppl often say it's RE4 that started the whole action game thing, but nah it was already present in the first game, and RE2 pretty much runs with it; you'll be fucking shit up left and right.

DelireMan7

Did some progress on 2. Just did the a section with Ada. Then my ps1 started to reser randomly.... Hopefully I could save just before.
No time to investigate the PS1 now. Hope it's gone next time I play.

I enjoy it a lot even if I can already tell I I prefer the first one. Mansion was so cool and atmosphere so good. And the ammo management, and the zombie that can come back to life if not burn...

I was still extremely uncomfortable with the spiders... PS1 graphics spiders...

Spiders in games never really bothered me despite being arachnopobic because they never looks real. But in Remake they were really realistic to me and now in 2 their movement really unsettle me.

So I have to ask : are the spiders still there in the RE2make ? With modern visuals, it could be quite a trouble for me.

Soodanim

So I have to ask : are the spiders still there in the RE2make ? With modern visuals, it could be quite a trouble for me.
No, for some reason they cut various enemies in the remakes of 2/3 and spiders are always the first to go! Luckily for you there aren't many, past what you saw in that small section under the garage there's 2 more rooms and that's it for the whole game. 3 cuts that down to about 1 corridor if I remember rightly, although I may be forgetting some variable spawns.

Code Veronica has some semi-unavoidable stuff you won't like, if that's on your list

Last edited:

DelireMan7

No, for some reason they cut various enemies in the remakes of 2/3 and spiders are always the first to go! Luckily for you there aren't many, past what you saw in that small section under the garage there's 2 more rooms and that's it for the whole game. 3 cuts that down to about 1 corridor if I remember rightly, although I may be forgetting some variable spawns.

Code Veronica has some semi-unavoidable stuff you won't like, if that's on your list
It's kind of shame that they remove some enemy variety in the remake, but I am kind of glad they removed spiders xD

I already beat Code Veronica years ago but I don't remember much aside from some Wesker's action. I am not sure I'll play it. I'll see my mood after 2/3/0/RE2make/RE3make. I might play it just for the Claire/Chris story.

At the moment I am worry about the reboots my PS1 did. Checked quickly online and could be alimentation problem or overheating (It happens after 2 hours of play). They are a lot of tips to help so I hope I can fix it.

DelireMan7

There's actually a spider-like enemy in r3make...but they only show up in one specific section.
If it's not a realistic spider I should be good.

It's the fact that they are giant tarantulas that scared me.

I usually don't have issue with Fantasy spiders or stuff inspired by spiders

Soodanim

It's kind of shame that they remove some enemy variety in the remake, but I am kind of glad they removed spiders xD

I already beat Code Veronica years ago but I don't remember much aside from some Wesker's action. I am not sure I'll play it. I'll see my mood after 2/3/0/RE2make/RE3make. I might play it just for the Claire/Chris story.
I know someone who gave up on Skyrim because of the spiders in the first cave, so I get what it's like for some people.

Code Veronica's spiders are unique in the series for looking like actual spiders and not like hairy tarantulas, which I always assumed would be worse for an arachnophobe. They're very much just upscaled realistic looking spiders, so maybe you repressed the memory.

DelireMan7

I know someone who gave up on Skyrim because of the spiders in the first cave, so I get what it's like for some people.

Code Veronica's spiders are unique in the series for looking like actual spiders and not like hairy tarantulas, which I always assumed would be worse for an arachnophobe. They're very much just upscaled realistic looking spiders, so maybe you repressed the memory.

I quickly check Code Veronica's spider picture. Don't remember them. It looks fine, I have to see how they move. Big part of what frightened me is the legs movement. And in REmake and 2 it's really unsettling.

Also hairy spiders are much more scary for me. Pure disgust !

I hope to hear news on the future of the franchise soon.

I know it is likely too early, as the RE8 Rosemary DLC just dropped, and the remake of RE4 is coming next spring. But RE8 has left me eager for something that feels more representative of the series, as I found RE8 was almost absolutely nothing like old RE games at all. So now I'm bored / unhappy / keen for something new that preferably has Jill Valentine. :)

kunonabi

I know it is likely too early, as the RE8 Rosemary DLC just dropped, and the remake of RE4 is coming next spring. But RE8 has left me eager for something that feels more representative of the series, as I found RE8 was almost absolutely nothing like old RE games at all. So now I'm bored / unhappy / keen for something new that preferably has Jill Valentine. :)
I just want a new game like REmake 2 that isn't a remake. That way they aren't saddled with trying to fix something that's already flawed. Or fucking up perfection in the case of RE3.

All of these games feel like experiments. And I get it, to an extent. They have to try different things to stop their top franchise from becoming stale. But in changing so much and making it all come across as ridiculous, they've headed away from what the franchise was over 20 years ago.

On the plus side, it's kind of unique that this series has indeed gotten so many different types of games, from the original style up to on rails games, third person shooters, and so much more. So Capcom hasn't been shy about trying to adapt to the trends. Give or take, that can be good, or it can be rather bad.

If you play RE1 or any of the other games prior to 4, then play through 4, then suffer through the recent ones, you can see a huge change in styles and the tone. It's like the only thing that connects the games is the name.

It seems like Chris is only in 7 and 8 for the fan appeal, but I honestly felt as if they forced that in so people couldn't moan that 'it didn't feel like RE' after the game was released, because one of the main characters featured, although more so as a minor protagonist. Yet it didn't look like Chris anyway, until they rectified that for RE8.

Even so, they feel like games now where Capcom is basically trying to make chicken salad from the leftover chicken fat, skin and bones, and it's not quite working. As expected though, a lot of fans do enjoy them just the same, so I think their next goal will be to make things even more silly.

The underground tunnels in RE6 with the mummified zombies and the spinning blades was pretty stupid, to be honest. But RE8 certainly felt corny with the Silent Hill-esque stuff and the insanely stupid boss battles. Etc.

-Zelda-

Banned
Thanks for all the input so far.

Despite all the advice for skipping 0, I really want to try it by myself. So I will not skip it.

All the discussion about original 2/3 VS Remakes makes me reconsider a bit my decision to go for the remakes first. I'll see my mood after Zero but I might first play the OG 2 and 3 before the remakes.

I already played Code Veronica in the past but I might replay if I want more old school style.

So my playing list will probably be :

1. Resident Evil Remake
  2. Resident Evil 0
  3. Resident Evil 2
  4. Resident Evil 3 : Nemesis
  5. REmake 2
  6. REmake 3
  7. (Code Veronica)
  8. Resident Evil 4
I am also open for 5-8 and some spin off but let's see if I am not burnout by then.

Yes, this is the way. Have fun! :)

DelireMan7

Yes, this is the way. Have fun! :)
I have already !

So I think I am approaching endgame with Leon.

I am in the research facility, after battling William Birkin near the train.

I love the crocodile "fight" aswell as the "fight" in the cable car where William is piercing the ceiling with its arms. Unique moments :)

Then PS1 started rebooting again after 1h30 and 2h of play so I guess it's due to overheating.

cortadew

We all want some Jill Mommy Valentine

DelireMan7

We all want some Jill Mommy Valentine
I only played her in Remake 1 and I want more of her. Can't wait to play 3 and remake.

So after a short rest time for my PS1, I did another session and finished Leon A. 4h07, really a quick game.
I prefer Remake 1 but I enjoyed this one a lot too. Bonus point for the so cliché B action movie dialog xD.

I really like Ada being in the game. Her name was just mentioned in one of the letters of RE1 so it's cool to see her in the flesh now.
Curious to see Claire scenario. I liked the choice I got in the armory to take the bag or machine gun. The other looks to go for Claire (in my case the machine gun). Also the girl with Claire in the end cutscene made me curious (looking at the credit, looks like Birkin's daughter).

Pretty sure I missed some secrets. Like in the lab, there was a door I couldn't open if I was alone. But I was never with anyone in this part so... Don't know maybe something for the B scenario or Claire's.

So next is Claire B !

kunonabi

I only played her in Remake 1 and I want more of her. Can't wait to play 3 and remake.

So after a short rest time for my PS1, I did another session and finished Leon A. 4h07, really a quick game.
I prefer Remake 1 but I enjoyed this one a lot too. Bonus point for the so cliché B action movie dialog xD.

I really like Ada being in the game. Her name was just mentioned in one of the letters of RE1 so it's cool to see her in the flesh now.
Curious to see Claire scenario. I liked the choice I got in the armory to take the bag or machine gun. The other looks to go for Claire (in my case the machine gun). Also the girl with Claire in the end cutscene made me curious (looking at the credit, looks like Birkin's daughter).

Pretty sure I missed some secrets. Like in the lab, there was a door I couldn't open if I was alone. But I was never with anyone in this part so... Don't know maybe something for the B scenario or Claire's.

So next is Claire B !
OG RE3 has the best version of Jill so you should enjoy that.

DelireMan7

Don't listen to anyone telling you to skip any title on your list, they are all great in their own way, even go try RE5 and RE6
If after RE4 I am not burnout, I plan to play 5, 6 and even the Revelations games.
You should consider playing through Claire A and Leon B as well if you want to see all the cutscenes the game has to offer before you move on to RE3
Yes I know but it would be too much. Don't want to risk a burnout by playing 4 times a game. I might keep that for later

I know RE6 has a reputation for not being all that good. But if you think about it logistically, that's more of a RE game than 4 and 5, if you take into account that it has zombies, many characters from the earlier games, and is set in a city or two, or three. Whereas 4 and 5 are mostly games that take place in villages. So they are totally different.

I guess what is and isn't RE is subjective, since RE is whatever Capcom makes it out to be. But just going off the concept of the older games, 6 definitely matches up with those titles. Although unlike 4 and 5, there's no returning creatures such as the Lickers or the crows.

Soodanim

I know RE6 has a reputation for not being all that good. But if you think about it logistically, that's more of a RE game than 4 and 5, if you take into account that it has zombies, many characters from the earlier games, and is set in a city or two, or three. Whereas 4 and 5 are mostly games that take place in villages. So they are totally different.

I guess what is and isn't RE is subjective, since RE is whatever Capcom makes it out to be. But just going off the concept of the older games, 6 definitely matches up with those titles. Although unlike 4 and 5, there's no returning creatures such as the Lickers or the crows.
I don't entirely disagree with that, and the locations are a symptom of scale that started with 4. But you can see the progression from classic to 4, and if you played classic games you could jump right into it. The movement is the same, they just moved the camera and added the 3D aiming. Then they upped the enemy count to balance, and the story is different because for better or worse they wanted to move away from Umbrella and do something new. It changed both Resident Evil and action games forever, but it still had so much classic RE DNA in there despite how much of an evolutionary leap it was.
Then in 5 they tweaked a little bit more by adding side stepping to the movement and tied 4's story back into the rest of the canon while expanding on the origins of Umbrella. It was a fun co-op game, but they were moving too far away from RE for my liking.
But in 6 they went all over the place. Everything felt different. Tone, gameplay, story, action, voice actors... all changed. It didn't feel at all like Resident Evil to me, all that RE DNA was gone, and if you didn't have returning characters you wouldn't think it's RE at all. Could just as easily have been a new IP. Capcom seems to have felt the same, which is why they went for the soft reboot after that and brought it back down from the big globetrotting adventure it had become.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I like the discussions about the different RE games, their evolution and "respect" for the franchise.

I find fascinating this long running franchise is still alive and Capcom is making evolving or changing the formula with new games.
It's part of why I want to play the franchise. To experience the changes the franchise received over the years.

Did quite some progress with Claire B. I just stopped where I find Leon wounded in the sewers.

The whole Leon/Claire scenario is funky and it reminds me my RE obsessed friend when he was telling me "You see what Claire was doing while you were playing Leon but it's not really that"
I like the concept of playing the other side of the story but it doesn't fit in the same "timeline". Not a big problem for me.

The fact that there is lot of new puzzle and different location is pretty cool.
I imagine having this game at release and being mindblowed by it !

Mr.X is interesting in concept but to be honest I don't like the idea of being pursue by a invincible foe. So far it was just few scripted apparition so it's fine.
But it makes me a bit worry for RE Nemesis (since it's a bit the concept of the game) and REmake 2 (I heard a lot of complaint about Mr.X but I couldn't really get it since I haven't play the OG). I'll see by myself I guess:)

Soodanim

I like the discussions about the different RE games, their evolution and "respect" for the franchise.

I find fascinating this long running franchise is still alive and Capcom is making evolving or changing the formula with new games.
It's part of why I want to play the franchise. To experience the changes the franchise received over the years.

Did quite some progress with Claire B. I just stopped where I find Leon wounded in the sewers.

The whole Leon/Claire scenario is funky and it reminds me my RE obsessed friend when he was telling me "You see what Claire was doing while you were playing Leon but it's not really that"
I like the concept of playing the other side of the story but it doesn't fit in the same "timeline". Not a big problem for me.

The fact that there is lot of new puzzle and different location is pretty cool.
I imagine having this game at release and being mindblowed by it !

Mr.X is interesting in concept but to be honest I don't like the idea of being pursue by a invincible foe. So far it was just few scripted apparition so it's fine.
But it makes me a bit worry for RE Nemesis (since it's a bit the concept of the game) and REmake 2 (I heard a lot of complaint about Mr.X but I couldn't really get it since I haven't play the OG). I'll see by myself I guess:)
I won't say too much, and I hope others don't either, but Nemesis in 3 isn't poorly done at all. It will make sense when you get there, and I honestly think that's best experienced as blind as possible. If you can manage to go into it free from worry about consequences and just enjoy it, you'll have a great time. What's even better is that there's an easy, should you want it.

REmake 2's implementation of X is great but has obvious downsides. It certain introduces a whole new dynamic to the game that the original didn't have though, which goes back to what you said about constantly changing.

kunonabi

Nemesis is definitely a better experience than REmake Mr. X. He adds to the game in a lot of ways instead of just making the game a chore like modern chasers tend to do.

I'm sort of late to the party as well with the franchise. Actually I had the first three games on the original PlayStation and I had Veronica on Dreamcast.

But I was never really good at these games. I still remember owning the first one and it was pretty awesome at the time.

I do like the direction they're going with the DLC in Resident Evil Village. It kind of makes me want to get back into the series.

cortadew

Nemesis is definitely a better experience than REmake Mr. X. He adds to the game in a lot of ways instead of just making the game a chore like modern chasers tend to do.
How is Nemesis less of a chore than Mr X? I believe he is nearly as much of a core considering he was able to go through areas and could run and don't forget that bazooka! Mr X is a bit annoying because when he glitches he won't leave the zone but ultimately he can still be dodged or avoided if you are smart enough.

kunonabi

How is Nemesis less of a chore than Mr X? I believe he is nearly as much of a core considering he was able to go through areas and could run and don't forget that bazooka! Mr X is a bit annoying because when he glitches he won't leave the zone but ultimately he can still be dodged or avoided if you are smart enough.

Nemesis can be avoided as well and your interactions are just more varied, resolve faster, and you get far more breathing room when those instances are finished. REmake Mr. X is easily dealt with and once you have your pathing down he's mostly just there to make speed runs irritating but until then he just gets in the way of you playing the game which Nemesis doesn't really do. He wasn't much of pain in my initial runs but I've seen how rough he can make things. I like that they tried it but it could have used some tweaking is all.

cortadew

Nemesis can be avoided as well and your interactions are just more varied, resolve faster, and you get far more breathing room when those instances are finished. REmake Mr. X is easily dealt with and once you have your pathing down he's mostly just there to make speed runs irritating but until then he just gets in the way of you playing the game which Nemesis doesn't really do. He wasn't much of pain in my initial runs but I've seen how rough he can make things. I like that they tried it but it could have used some tweaking is all.
To be honest you are right but being a "chore" is the intention of the developers, he is a constant threat that forces the player to look for different strategies to escape the RPD.

In my opinion his redesign is a masterpiece, the og Mr X was too underwhelming to feel like an actual menace and is much more limited to certain areas.

Last edited:

Soodanim

To be honest you are right but being a "chore" is the intention of the developers, he is a constant threat that forces the player to look for different strategies to escape the RPD.

In my opinion his redesign is a masterpiece, the og Mr X was too underwhelming to feel like an actual menace and is much more limited to certain areas.
I agree with this. I think I misspoke when I said "Obvious downsides", because what I meant is it's easy to see where some people might/did see it as a downside.

Again, I don't like to say too much because I don't like to influence someone too much before they play a game for the first time. But I personally loved it, and not just the gameplay but the entire presentation (sound/music) played a big part in the experience. So much so that despite me liking the original OST so much that I listen to it outside of the game, I don't use the soundtrack swap option in REmake 2 because it takes away from the experience.

kunonabi

He just isn't dynamic enough to be interesting to me is all. I love horror games with chasers I just found his execution a little lacking. The original Mr. X is an occasional setpiece more than anything else. That's why the OG Nemesis was so amazing. Which is funny since the REmake Nemesis is probably the worst of the bunch.

The only thing I don't like about modern RE games is the "forced upon" horror vibes, like having every room so dark. In the original games, areas were still littered by zombies and occasionally other creatures, but it wasn't completely dark. In the remakes though, and even 7 and 8, they blanket the gaming experience in total darkness. And the remakes cut out so many enemies, because I don't know if they can handle adding in those fast moving enemies. But I noticed a lot of enemies that they cut were mainly ones that would be hard to copy from the oldest games, like the spiders.

But as the first remake included every creature from the 1996 game, fans feel they should have did a more faithful version of the game. What they did is just okay, in my opinion. Although I don't especially like the new character models and the fact they lazily repeated some stuff in the B scenario, which largely contradicts the events of the initial A scenario.

Anyway, NightCrawler published another great RE4 remake rant video recently. It's worth listening to.

Edited for a damn typo. 😆

Last edited:

Soodanim

The only thing I don't like about modern RE games is the "forced upon" horror vibes, like having every room so dark. In the original games, areas were still littered by zombies and occasionally other creatures, but it wasn't completely dark. In the remakes though, and even 7 and 8, they blanket the gaming experience in total darkness. And the remakes cut out so many enemies, because I don't know if they can handle adding in those fast moving enemies. But I noticed a lot of enemies that they cut were mainly ones that would be hard to copy from the oldest games, like the spiders.

But as the first remake included every creature from the 1996 game, fans feel they should have did a more faithful version of the game. What they did is just okay, in my opinion. Although I don't especially like the new character models and the fact they lazily repeated some stuff in the B scenario, which largely contradicts the events of the initial A scenario.

Anyway, NightCrawler published another great RE4 remake rant video recently. It's worth listening to.

I tried to watch that video, but in the first 2 minutes he goes from "It's fucking shit (this game that hasn't released yet)" to "Don't be immature and a fanboy, let's have a discussion about it" then straight back to "Fanboys are retarded, the stupidest people on the planet". I can't take him seriously when he's purposely playing the antagonistic hater then pretending to take the high road when people give back what he's given out.

The tone of the games has gotten darker without a doubt, and I know they're trying to create a certain atmosphere because it plays on the classic fear of the dark and not being able to use all senses fully. Can't be scared when you can see everything (which is partially why fixed camera angles worked - you didn't know what was round the corner). I can't speak on 7 and 8 yet, as I haven't played them.

I think what they did worked very well in 2R, and for 4R they seem to have learned from why 3R wasn't as well received as 2R. If 4R isn't as good as we hope, that's fine because the original exists and with them being vastly different they can co-exist. I agree with you in that 2R not initially planning for the B scenario was a mistake, and although they caved and shoehorned one in it was lacking in everything from the zapping system that people liked about 2. Unfortunate, but better than nothing and what we got was so good that it didn't bring the game down enough for me to care too much, although there was some disappointment.

4R already has much more than I expected to see survive from the original game, and the most recent trailer exists to prove that point. It looks faithful as fuck so far, despite the changes. It was a "We hear you" message to 4 fans, and it took me from "I'm not bothered" to "See you on day 1". I won't forgive them if they leave Mercenaries out again, though.

Resident Evil 2 hardcore mode is undoubtedly one of the worst balanced game designs in gaming. I wanted the old ink ribbon saving but their constant need to provide constant threat to the player without giving sufficient ammunition is one of the worst concepts ever devised for balance.

As a tank-control purist, I was willing to let that slide over the amazing quality of enhancements they did in level design but the encounter scenarios especially with Mr. X is a slap to the face. It is is neither interesting or intense, it's just tedious and stupid.

There is a few points in that video I agree with, like having to use a knife to repel a chainsaw. Seriously. You would be cut to shreds. It's not realistic whatsoever.

But he was right about parrying versus skill. I also kind of agree that crafting ammo is unnecessary, since it's something you would need a tool to work with, which was in the original RE3 because it gave you a fighting chance against Nemesis. But none of the latter games had this mechanic up until RE7. Now it's suddenly in every game.

Yeah. Ada is different. If it's a remake, they should have included her red dress from the start. It was part of her identity in the original game. So her not having it does mean they're likely to cut out dialogue, and this is assuming Jack Krauser is even scheduled to be a side villain again. As, well, you cannot refer to a red dress that a woman isn't even wearing. Right?

cortadew

He just isn't dynamic enough to be interesting to me is all. I love horror games with chasers I just found his execution a little lacking. The original Mr. X is an occasional setpiece more than anything else. That's why the OG Nemesis was so amazing. Which is funny since the REmake Nemesis is probably the worst of the bunch.
What would you have changed to make him more dynamic?

cortadew

I could not stand even 2 minutes of that video.

Soodanim

There is a few points in that video I agree with, like having to use a knife to repel a chainsaw. Seriously. You would be cut to shreds. It's not realistic whatsoever.

But he was right about parrying versus skill. I also kind of agree that crafting ammo is unnecessary, since it's something you would need a tool to work with, which was in the original RE3 because it gave you a fighting chance against Nemesis. But none of the latter games had this mechanic up until RE7. Now it's suddenly in every game.

Yeah. Ada is different. If it's a remake, they should have included her red dress from the start. It was part of her identity in the original game. So her not having it does mean they're likely to cut out dialogue, and this is assuming Jack Krauser is even scheduled to be a side villain again. As, well, you cannot refer to a red dress that a woman isn't even wearing. Right?
I forgot about that! I did think the trailer was going to cut away before Leon was decapitated for trying to use a knife to deflect a chainsaw! Maybe it has retained some of the "Doesn't take itself so seriously" origins of 4... or maybe it's just a ridiculously OP defence mechanism that we're going to hate.

Regarding the rest, I don't even guess whether changes will be good or bad because it will all be part of a final product that we haven't seen or experienced yet. Even crafting, which in a bubble is a popular mechanic thrown into a game that perhaps doesn't need it, but we haven't gotten to know the implementation yet. Maybe it will be good, maybe it will be bad. I don't know yet. But I am willing to bet Krauser is in, the fucking Merchant and midget Salazar made it into this otherwise more serious remake. I'd like to think that the words "Clock Tower" are still ringing in Capcom's ears. If anything's cut or changed massively, a safe bet would be the Island. And maybe Giant Salazar, but hopefully not.

Ada does need her dress though. It's practically part of her.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Eh, Ada is a lost cause anyway after the REmake changes. If they tone down the James Bond shit that would be good enough for me. Although that doesn't seem likely considering how goofy the remake is still looking.

DelireMan7

2. Resident Evil 2

And Claire B is done ! Overall the idea of the A/B scenario is really cool. You go through some similar areas but not in the same order and you have unique areas to each of them. This goes for the puzzles too.

Small complaint about the endgame of Claire B : the fact that you need 2 slots available at the end is a bit annoying when you don't know it. I packed myself with weapons and healing items, leaving just 1 slot for a potential key item. The countdown triggers, I take 1 plug, bring it to the other room and then "You need to plug them simultaneously" -_-. Now just go back to the train for the item box and lose 1min30/2 min on the 5 min countdown...
I get that they want to be sure we have 2 free slots for the fight but it was annoying. Fun fact, I beat the boss (I like the reminiscence of RE final fight) and end up with no healing item and low life. I was then sure that I just need to open the barrier and the game was done... But they putted some zombies on the way and I got kill by it (because the clock was ticking and I just ran without thinking)....

Also I am puzzle by the surprise in the train. What happen if you don't have ammo left ? I used the second rocket to kill the zombies because I was sure it was over. Hopefully I had my grenade launcher with some ammos but I almost run out of them during the fight. Is the game giving you something, if you have no weapons, to beat it ? Would be pretty frustrating to get an auto lose there.

Amazing game anyway. RE1 is still above for me (because less action, more survival horror and it's difficult to beat the mansion's atmosphere) but it definitely deserves its reputation. I get all the fuzz about it in 1998. The 2 characters/2 scenarios is a neat idea. I love the small interaction between then like the machine gun/bag.
It's crazy how such a short game gives you a lot of interesting content : 4 playthroughs, secrets to find and new stuff after finish it (I got the message about Brad and the special key once I finished Claire B).
Don't want to start a "old school VS modern gaming" discussion but I prefer this way of adding content and replayability rather than just adding tons of "collect all this stuff on a map" we get a lot today.

I'll not go for Claire A/Leon B (at least now) and jump directly into Resident Evil 3 Nemesis.

Top Bottom