• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ryse Son of Rome

kiphalfton

This game had potential, but it was squandered by QTE's and linear gameplay. The red, blue, and green QTE prompts were distracting, and detracted from an otherwise good looking game.

The enemy variety was awful, and as far as I could tell there were 3-4 variations for the barbarians, 1-2 for the praetorians, etc. Thr bosses were okay, but essentially consisted of blocking 3 times followed by a perfect block to get 3 hits in.

The game has pretty good animations, and I did enjoy the executions, however, combat wasn't very deep.

I like Marius as a main character, and the story wasn't too bad.

I think the game deserves a 6/10. I won't play it again, but it wasn't a complete waste of time.

What are your thoughts in the game? Then (if you played it in 2013) and now (noe that you've had a chance to see what this gen offered over the past 7 years, and how the game compares to other similar games that have since been released)?

It was basically a gamepass day 1 game before gamepass existed graphics was crazy good in late 2013 when it was release and still hold up with games releasing in 2019 and 2020.

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

Graphically beautiful, great sceneries, good violence but the gameplay was not that fun and the game is too short.
Still a good launch game.

Very much an early gen game with old gaming conventions in terms of QTEs.

Had a lot of potential and I feel like it could have potential even today. The gladiator multiplayer wasn't awful though it was also very repetitive.

This game had potential, but it was squandered by QTE's and linear gameplay. The red, blue, and green QTE prompts were distracting, and detracted from an otherwise good looking game.

If you have the PC version I made a mod that lets you toggle those off:

As for the game I thought it was pretty mediocre. It was mostly the setting and graphics that made it interesting.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Great story and visuals. Artistically it is still an amazing looking game. Combat was mediocre, but was still mindless fun IMO.

It reminds me of the XBOX One and PS4 launch and that time in 2013! A lot of great memories! But then I realize how horrible the XBOX One launch was and it makes me kinda sick :messenger_grinning_squinting:

kiphalfton

If you have the PC version I made a mod that lets you toggle those off:

As for the game I thought it was pretty mediocre. It was mostly the setting and graphics that made it interesting.

I always forget about mods until after the fact or when somebody brings it up.

In any case, you're doing god's work.

Great story and visuals. Artistically it is still an amazing looking game. Combat was mediocre, but was still mindless fun IMO.

It reminds me of the XBOX One and PS4 launch and that time in 2013! A lot of great memories! But then I realize how horrible the XBOX One launch was and it makes me kinda sick :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I personally would put it on par with Hellblade. Combat and graphics wise. If they made another Ryse game, I would probably play it. I can imagine a prequel.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Great game, i expected nothing and got a rousing and exciting story in a fresh setting.
Completed in two times in the last 4 years, i didn't even upgrade my kills in the first playthrough, so the second was even more fun.
But yes, same looking enemies everywhere, but i somehow had no problem with it.

Last edited:

sephiroth7x

As an academic historian I loved its setting (I always do when developers spend time creating a time in history) but other than that, the game was pretty bland...

Pizdetz

Banned
For the time I enjoyed it, The visuals were incredible. I just went back and watched videos, they are still very nice - this is a 7 year old game.
The gameplay and story were good too, I'm a sucker for hack and slash, so yeah.

Also kinda makes you think if for PS5 and Xbox we're basically going to get the best visuals in the first year or two. Comparing games from the beginning of this hardware cycle to the end, the visuals have not dramatically improved.

GametimeUK

In a world where we have so many amazing games I struggle to wonder why all these years after release somebody would go "you know what I think I'll play Ryse for the first time" (assmumingly) knowing full well how the game has been received.

I'm not trying to come across as a dick and obviously people can spend their time however they like, I'm just saying I wouldn't play a game that was received the way Ryse was when I could be playing Sekiro for the first time (random example).

Maybe that speaks volumes of me only playing games that have some sort of acclaim from critics and gamers.

Anyway, this LTTP did nothing to sway the needle in favour of playing this game. Haha.

J-Roderton

Just put a few hours into this. I forgot I even owned it. It’s pretty damn good so far. Graphically it looks great. I understand it’s fairly short, so I’m looking forward to finishing it up soon.

KAOS

I thought it was an underrated game! It 's gonna be hard to find games with single player and multiplyer/ co-op player options like the ones in Ryse in the future!

Heck MS doesn't get enough credit for having games with single player and multi player /co-op options!!!

Anyway l Would love... love... love a sequel!

Alx

I discovered the game late, after it was added to Games with Gold, but I enjoyed it a lot. The diversity of enemies is low indeed, but on the other hand environments were not repetitive at all. And the gameplay would shine once you explore it at harder difficulties or through the multiplayer/arena sessions. Especially the way you had to work on a precise timing to deflect and counter attacks (the shield was really a great element of gameplay). I was also surprised to learn how historically accurate some elements of the gameplay were, like spears being used to make opponents drop their shields (the spears were designed with a wooden part that is supposed to break at impact, so the head of the spear would be stuck in the shield and the handle would dangle from it, pulling everything down).
And of course the game is visually impressive.

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Rise and quantum break were the only reason why I bought an xbox one. I sold my xbox one later because did not like the user interface.

The game was ok. I liked the combat but seeing the same enemies face every damn fight was annoying.

I didn't like the sequences where you have to fire that catapult or big arrow, it felt out of place.

Vasto

In a world where we have so many amazing games I struggle to wonder why all these years after release somebody would go "you know what I think I'll play Ryse for the first time" (assmumingly) knowing full well how the game has been received.

I'm not trying to come across as a dick and obviously people can spend their time however they like, I'm just saying I wouldn't play a game that was received the way Ryse was when I could be playing Sekiro for the first time (random example).

Maybe that speaks volumes of me only playing games that have some sort of acclaim from critics and gamers.

Anyway, this LTTP did nothing to sway the needle in favour of playing this game. Haha.

dik2t9K.png

GametimeUK

Ryse Son of Rome Metacritic score of 61
Steam Recent Reviews are surprisingly very positive
Steam overall reviews very positive

Sekiro Metacritic score of 88
Steam recent reviews Overwhelming
Overall very positive

Yeah, still not as well received as my example, but nice try. I am genuinely surprised by the user reviews though, but then again if Waifu games are scoring overwhelming scores on Steam I guess anything can happen.

Although this is totally anecdotal l my impression is PC gamers will score any "console exclusive" high when it comes to PC as long as it runs well and is discounted.

KAOS

Well w

Overall very positive

Yeah, still not as well received as my example, but nice try. I am genuinely surprised by the user reviews though, but then again if Waifu games are scoring overwhelming scores on Steam I guess anything can happen.

Although this is totally anecdotal l my impression is PC gamers will score any "console exclusive" high when it comes to PC as long as it runs well and is discounted.

Well we'll see how Deathstranding rates!

Vasto

Overall very positive

I am not comparing Ryse and Sekiro. Never played Sekiro and never will unless it comes to Game Pass.
What I am proving is that Ryse Son Of Rome is a really good game and that you were wrong about it.

Metacritic?

Minecraft Dungeons got a 70 meta for Switch and 75 Meta for Xbox.

Andodalf

Banned
Ryse is very pretty, not too long, and knows what it is. If you can get it for cheap, it’s worth a quick play through. Pretty much the same was I feel about Quantum Break

Reactions: Alx

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'll share my love for Ryse. You can't debate it's repetitive and shallow in many ways. But so are most Marvel movies and they make a shit load of money and people love them because they are fun and easy to digest.

It's still fun to boot up and just beat the shit outta people in a graphic way for no reason at all.

I think the setting helps. It just looks neat and is fun to explore.

Last edited:

Overall very positive

I'm playing the game not the reviews.
I don't give a fuck about scores if the game has something that's of interest to me, which this one has: history, cool locations, action that looks like 300, good graphics. I even got a good story on top of that.

kiphalfton

I'm playing the game not the reviews.
I don't give a fuck about scores if the game has something that's of interest to me, which this one has: history, cool locations, action that looks like 300, good graphics. I even got a good story on top of that.

This. Which is also why I'm going to play Mafia III and Kingdom Hearts III eventually. Not discounting that there's some merit to reviews, but if a game appeals to me I'm going to play it.

Gorgeous game to this day. The gameplay itself, while repetitive, lent itself well to the short experience.

Its not an all time classic but it has its place in gaming history and is worth a try for anyone.

kiphalfton

If we go by that logic, there's better games out there than sekiro so...

Ryse is very pretty, not too long, and knows what it is. If you can get it for cheap, it’s worth a quick play through. Pretty much the same was I feel about Quantum Break
Yeah this. The game doesn't overstay its welcome which at this point gains it a couple points by itself in a world where AC games are 40 hours and most games overstay their welcome in order to give perceived value.

I liked Ryse, but I also love almost anything in ancient Rome or Greece. It was amazing looking even on the Xbox One (I haven't seen it on PC but I'm sure it looks amazing), and while the gameplay was simple and a little repetitive it wasn't bad. It's not a system seller of course, but it's enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For me, it was a good 7/10 game. Very similar to The Order 1886 which I also gave a 7/10.

The QTE's were bad and just bad gameplay design decisions overall. The visuals, character models and environments were excellent. Story and characters were excellent. Gameplay was enjoyable but basic, nothing special and bogged down by those QTE's.

But like with The Order 1886, it deserves a sequel because everything else is too damn good to just let rot away.

I wanna try the PC version of this game at some point. I'm not expecting a masterpiece but it might be better than expected.

edit: Just snagged it from the Steam Summer Sale for $3.26! Installs it

Last edited:

dcx4610

It can get repetitive but the combat feels so good. People have been talking a lot about the facial expressions in Last of Us but they are right up there in Ryse. You really "feel" the combat thanks to the grunts, sound design and facial expressions.

The game still holds up graphically (especially on PC) and while it's a short game, I had a great time. If you like the movie Gladiator or Roman history, it'll be right up your alley.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I got it in a sale years ago and couldn’t understand peoples disappointment with it, yeah it was short but it was really fun while it lasted

Top Bottom