• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Ryse Son of Rome

Even if it doesn't have glowing reviews, there don't seem to be many games set in the Roman Empire that aren't 4x strategies. I can see Ryse being interesting for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Enjoyed this one, and with a bit of more work on the combat system & progression a sequel could've been great. Too bad Crytek was such a shitshow so it all went to hell. Even getting Ryse in the state it was in was a miracle, considering what a hell the development for that was.

Oh well.

sinseers

Yeah this. The game doesn't overstay its welcome which at this point gains it a couple points by itself in a world where AC games are 40 hours and most games overstay their welcome in order to give perceived value.

I liked Ryse, but I also love almost anything in ancient Rome or Greece. It was amazing looking even on the Xbox One (I haven't seen it on PC but I'm sure it looks amazing), and while the gameplay was simple and a little repetitive it wasn't bad. It's not a system seller of course, but it's enjoyable.
The one are where I think doesn't get enough credit on is the in-combat sub menu. Is there a another action game that lets you cycle through your sub menu without freezing the action? I found it to be kind of slick.

Even if it doesn't have glowing reviews, there don't seem to be many games set in the Roman Empire that aren't 4x strategies. I can see Ryse being interesting for that reason alone.
Such an underused setting. We can't get a damn game set in antique Rome, Persia, Greece or even Egypt but we're flooded with shitty games set in medieval Europe.

At least AC tried ancient Greece and Egypt. Wish we could get something in Babylon, Nubia or ancient China.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I loved Ryse. All it needed was more weapons/attacks and maybe a few more powers though the one that Marius had was still great

Phil needs to fund Ryse 2 for the XSX

Business

Got it on Steam when it released and although I played a few hours I couldn't get myself to power through it. I remember I had read this book War at the Edge of the World (not utterly amazing but very decent read) and I thought why not, but alas the game kinda sucked

I loved Ryse. All it needed was more weapons/attacks and maybe a few more powers though the one that Marius had was still great

Phil needs to fund Ryse 2 for the XSX
I had fun with it.

The problem is it was originally designed to be a game to showcase the Kinect and if I remember, they changed that late into the development and made it a normal game instead.

The foundations are solid. Amazing graphics, great voice-acting, top-tier production values, and honestly a solid battle system. The problem is the battle mechanics are too limited and you've seen it all within the first 30 minutes.

Given more time and polish, they could have deepened the combat and widened the levels into something truly special.

I'd be all for a second attempt.

JimiNutz

Banned
It was short and basic but fun enough to play and seemed like there was a solid foundation to build upon for a sequel.
Shame the IP appears to be dead now.

cormack12

Gold Member
I had fun with it.

The problem is it was originally designed to be a game to showcase the Kinect and if I remember, they changed that late into the development and made it a normal game instead.

Yeah I think this hampered it loads. I remember the dev blogs showing how certain things were evolving, must have crushed them to have to basically rearchitect it. It was a salvage job with excellent graphics in the end. But the IP still has a lot of traction. We've seen first hand that IP's can be changed/remained into new genres like GOW, Darksiders Genesis etc. Would be a shame to let it die but you just can't tell with MS these days.

GymWolf

The game was a giant (but shiny) turd but it gave us the best gif of an old man yelling at clouds

2383655-9161840850-iw4gr.gif

HotPocket69

Banned
That final sequence was fantastic. I guessed early on that the game would close with you just decimating guys in a corridor in one long color coded combo and sho ‘nuff that’s how they closed it and I fuckin loved it.

This thread is kinda making me want to fire it up again and I already beat it on the hardest difficulty (which is the way to play)

Dural

I loved it, one of the few games I've finished this gen. Give a sequel to Ninja Theory, they have lots of experience in this genre.

Shai-Tan

Banned
This game had potential, but it was squandered by QTE's and linear gameplay. The red, blue, and green QTE prompts were distracting, and detracted from an otherwise good looking game.

The enemy variety was awful, and as far as I could tell there were 3-4 variations for the barbarians, 1-2 for the praetorians, etc. Thr bosses were okay, but essentially consisted of blocking 3 times followed by a perfect block to get 3 hits in.

The game has pretty good animations, and I did enjoy the executions, however, combat wasn't very deep.

I like Marius as a main character, and the story wasn't too bad.

I think the game deserves a 6/10. I won't play it again, but it wasn't a complete waste of time.

What are your thoughts in the game? Then (if you played it in 2013) and now (noe that you've had a chance to see what this gen offered over the past 7 years, and how the game compares to other similar games that have since been released)?

I finished it in 4K after I got a 2080ti. Still looks good but I experienced the gameplay as you described. The story and delivery was pretty cringe to me though. Reminded me of some bad Netflix series. Or that Channing Tatum movie The Eagle (which was at least ok enough to watch)

Top Bottom