• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: SEGA 3D Classics Collection (3DS)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR

I've only messed around with this title a few times since buying it, but this past weekend I sunk in some time to play (nearly) all the titles on the collection. I was using a New 3DS XL (better 3D tracking). This is definitely one of my favorite uses of the 3DS's lens-free 3D.

Power Drift - fun with the 3D off, but the 3D effect makes the road seem too "chunky", where the pieces don't marry up as cleanly.
Sonic the Hedgehog - M2 added the spin-up move which fixes my only gripe. Level design still holds up. I am reminded why Sonic hit the scene and made such an impact. Even the first game is packed with traversal variety.
Puyo Puyo 2 - it's Puyo, but in 3D.
Fantasy Zone II / W - addictive little shmups. I love how quickly the enemies can clog the screen and slaughter you. It's a devious little shmup that loves to surprise you with a ton of enemies at once.
Galaxy Force II, Thunder Blade - two BIG standouts! In a weird sort of way, this captures the old arcade spectacle far better than the other console ports. Having played both of these games in an arcade recently, I was impressed by the simple-but-effective use of 3D. Everything just pops!
Maze Walker - a cute, forgotten SEGA gem that is a perfect candidate for the 3D effect. This is a fun diversion. I wonder how many levels it has. Might be fun to beat it in an afternoon (doesn't seem to hard).

It's a major shame the other collections never came West. 3DS is region-locked, so in order to get physical copies I'd need a Japanese 3DS plus overpriced copies of Vol. 2 and Vol. 3.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
i have galaxy force 2
sanic 1 and 2
outrun
and streets of rage 2

in 3d on my 3ds.

shit is cool def get em

I picked up a good amount of these when they were coming out as individual releases. All the super scaler stuff really looks great in 3d. Shame they didn't port Rad Mobile or one of the Outrun sequels while they were still doing these.Unfortunately they made Power Drift exclusive to the physical release in the US so I had to miss out on that as I owned so many in said collection already.

I think you mean Volume 1 as the one we got is Volume 2.

I love the game myself, including Power Drift and Maze Walker but I do wish that Sega held off and gave us the entire collections of 1, 2 and 3 to make it worthwile. I am happy that there are 10 games in the collection but I feel that the release was a disjointed effort by SoA and SoJ not understanding that the fans would have bought all 3 collections.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think you mean Volume 1 as the one we got is Volume 2.
You're right! Good catch.

I love the game myself, including Power Drift and Maze Walker but I do wish that Sega held off and gave us the entire collections of 1, 2 and 3 to make it worthwile. I am happy that there are 10 games in the collection but I feel that the release was a disjointed effort by SoA and SoJ not understanding that the fans would have bought all 3 collections.
Yeah... :messenger_weary:

Kazza

Nice review. I bought this collection, but still haven't actually bought a 3DS yet :lollipop_open_mouth: It's great that Thunder Blade and Galaxy Force finally got arcade perfect ports, as the Megadrive ports for those were just awful. I'm mostly interested in the super-scaler arcade games abd rare SG-1000 games, as I already have the Megadrive games on other collections (how is the 3D effect on the 2D games btw).

I don't know if all these were released in the West, but this is my wanted list:

How often do the games go on sale on the eshop? Are they still full price?

Top Bottom