• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic Frontiers (I'm having a blast)

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
So I'm playing on Series X and I'm about an hour into the second island, and holy shit this game is FUN. I don't think I've had this much pure fun with a game all year. It's got it's hooks in me and when I'm not playing I just keep thinking about wanting to go back and play more.

Yeah, the controls are really bad sometimes, the pop-in is awful, the visuals aren't anything special, the story is whatever... but the gameplay loop? *chefs kiss*

The game is just constantly rewarding you every time you choose to explore, or engage in combat, or hop on a rail, or break open a box, or anything, really. It makes collecting items really fun and engaging, it makes exploration immensely gratifying, and it helps make combat encounters more satisfying.

It's like a buggier, jankier version of Super Mario Odyssey meets Breath of the Wild meets Sonic Adventure, in all the best ways. Speaking of which, this is easily the most fun I've had with a Sonic game since the original Sonic Adventure 23 (!?) years ago.

Crazy that between this and High on Life, two of my favorite games of the year have average scores of 69 and 71, respectively.

We'll see if the game can continue to hold my interest through to its conclusion, but for now, I'm having an absolute blast. I really hope Sega sticks with this formula and continues to polish and evolve it, because they're on to something here.

lefty1117

Gold Member
I tried it a bit the other day, and for whatever reason it just didn't click with me. I enjoyed the Genesis Sonic games but I admit I haven't kept up with the franchise since I was a teenager. Anyway I've played and really enjoy Mario Odyssey and this is nowhere near it in my opinion. But maybe it never could be, because the movement styles are completely different. Where SMO feels pretty natural and smooth, Sonic of course is jetting all over the place and not really enjoyable to me to control. This is one where I feel like it's better as a side scroller. Just my humble middle aged opinion. Glad you're enjoying it though and if enough people do then hopefully it'll get a sequel and more time for them to improve on it. The Steam user reviews are very good - a great sign for the devs.

GLnrWrI.jpg

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I tried it a bit the other day, and for whatever reason it just didn't click with me. I enjoyed the Genesis Sonic games but I admit I haven't kept up with the franchise since I was a teenager. Anyway I've played and really enjoy Mario Odyssey and this is nowhere near it in my opinion. But maybe it never could be, because the movement styles are completely different. Where SMO feels pretty natural and smooth, Sonic of course is jetting all over the place and not really enjoyable to me to control. This is one where I feel like it's better as a side scroller. Just my humble middle aged opinion. Glad you're enjoying it though and if enough people do then hopefully it'll get a sequel and more time for them to improve on it. The Steam user reviews are very good - a great sign for the devs.

It didn’t click with me at first either as I thought the controls were terrible, but as I played on I found that that was mostly because I hadn’t leveled up and learned key abilities.

The game really comes into its own 3-4 hours in after you’ve leveled up a bit.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Not to bash you or anything, but how is this LTTP? The game launched on November, it wasn't that long ago.

Also good that you enjoy but also are being sincere about the game. People says that the game doesn't hold to the end though.

SpokkX

I agree - it is actually a fun game. By far the best 3d sonic has ever been. Only completed 2 islands and it is kind of varied to in the bosses and challenges. Perhaps it falls apart later but so far it is great (but a bit janky)

anthony2690

Banned
My personal game of the year, the game was just pure fun. :)

Also OP some tips, change your difficulty to hard so you can fight the true last boss (it's incredible, that is all I will say)

& For world 3 press jump three times and hold it the third time, it allows you to get up slopes you can't get up otherwise.

Flutta

Banned
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm…..
I’ve been burned by Sega when it comes to 3D Sonic too many times, but this one seems a bit different tbh. Might give it a try some day.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Game of the Year for me.

My personal game of the year, the game was just pure fun. :)

Also OP some tips, change your difficulty to hard so you can fight the true last boss (it's incredible, that is all I will say)

& For world 3 press jump three times and hold it the third time, it allows you to get up slopes you can't get up otherwise.

Thanks for the tips!

I never in my life would've thought that I'd come out of 2022 enjoying High on Life and Sonic Frontiers more than Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok, but here we are...

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don’t think I’m gonna get to this game but outside of the pop in it looks pretty cool. The large world seems like a natural fit for Sonic. Maybe Sega discovered something here, by hiring this man.

Last edited:
I've never liked the sonic games, I didn't really think the gameplay made much sense. But I started Sonic Frontiers and I was liking it. It did give me some Mario Odyssey vibes. However I started playing more god of war and witcher 3 lately so I haven't gone back to it.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Thanks for the tips!

I never in my life would've thought that I'd come out of 2022 enjoying High on Life and Sonic Frontiers more than Horizon: Forbidden West and God of War Ragnarok, but here we are...
You're burnt out on blockbusters, was the same way when i got my PS4 Pro. Tried to play God of War, Horizon, and Witcher 3 back-to-back and I started to hate gaming, lol. Need actual no frills fun games on occasion.

Only Game of the Year for me. Still Game of the Year I guess.
I'm loving it mate. Its not perfect but its so much fun to run around and explore the world. Its a such a great step for their 1st move in to open world and I can't wait to see what the team do, when they build on it.
Love moments like these

H1sjYn4.jpg

Zephir

Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to start my lv1 run

Small tip, Cyloops everything: all bosses have different reactions and it helps a lot with mini-bosses as well.
For example, you can Cyloop the shark in the second island and it'll stop him from escaping

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Good luck and have fun! Can't wait to start my lv1 run

Small tip, Cyloops everything: all bosses have different reactions and it helps a lot with mini-bosses as well.
For example, you can Cyloop the shark in the second island and it'll stop him from escaping

Thanks! Cylooping the shark was helpful.

On to island #3. Still absolutely loving the game.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Gotta say, Island 3 is a bit of a drag.

With the first 2 islands I was cruising right along but I'm 5-6 hours into this island with quite a way still to go. I don't like how disjointed all the small islands are and how difficult it is how to figure out how to just get to one of them to grab an emerald or talk to Tails.

Still having a lot of fun though. Hopefully the last 2 islands after this are better.

Last edited:

Neff

I've lost all interest in it. Despite some solid mechanics and level design, a tuneless, sombre, waypoint grind is not what a Sonic game should be imo.

SpokkX

I liked it until Super Sonic section on second boss. Jankiest shit I ever saw and i am not sure how control at all. Super Sonic is one janky mf

Ready to drop this now

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I liked it until Super Sonic section on second boss. Jankiest shit I ever saw and i am not sure how control at all. Super Sonic is one janky mf

Ready to drop this now

I really enjoyed Super Sonic on both bosses so far. Second boss is tougher because it's pretty unforgiving with parry timing, but I had no issues with jank.

SkylineRKR

I picked it up again. The game is good, I like it a lot. But there is a lot of repetition. I think 4 open zones with the same kind of goals is pushing it. Area 4 felt like a nice change and I hoped 5 would continue it. 3 of those areas was enough. Ofcourse you can ignore 100% but I did all so far. I am 33% at final island.

So beware OP, Frontiers might burn you out soon. I think what they should've done, is change both area 2 and 4 into something different to mix it up.

But the game has potential. If they iron out the technical issues (perhaps by dropping last gen), add some variety and work on the pacing they might be on to something good. I think the moment to moment gameplay, the overall feel, traversal and combat is pretty fun. Frontiers is a curiously soothing experience despite being a Sonic game.

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
Tried the Demo on Switch and was pleasantly surprised. Will wind up getting this on Series X.

If this ever came to Game Pass people would be going crazy for it. Will purchase just to support the devs. I love a great platformer.

SkylineRKR

Went the extra mile and beat it, the final island is relatively small and straightforward. completed it rather quickly and its cyber space levels were easy too.

i beat it on Hard mode, which is still very easy. The final titan was a joke. The hardest thing in this game though is actually the secret boss battle its rather tough and its a clear nod to
Ikaruga

Its a good game. I also love the combat. Every move looks spectacular and you can do them all in succession. It looks really good, its just that most enemies are too weak and unchallenging.

And the soundtrack, its easily my OST of 2022.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Went the extra mile and beat it, the final island is relatively small and straightforward. completed it rather quickly and its cyber space levels were easy too.

i beat it on Hard mode, which is still very easy. The final titan was a joke. The hardest thing in this game though is actually the secret boss battle its rather tough and its a clear nod to
Ikaruga

Its a good game. I also love the combat. Every move looks spectacular and you can do them all in succession. It looks really good, its just that most enemies are too weak and unchallenging.

And the soundtrack, its easily my OST of 2022.

The final boss fight on hard is so good imo, absolutely loved it, sega need to make a standalone stg imo :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom