• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - Star Trek (The Next Generation)

20cent

Banned
I've discovered the series recently and I love it, the cast, the relationships, Data.. All are great. The variety of themes treated in episodes is what it makes it watchable for everybody I suppose, this is well done and quite subtle most of the time.

I've heard multiple times that it was better to look for guides to know what to watch as lot of episodes are bad or boring.
So yes, after finding a list that has more than 10 episodes, I religiously followed it and skipped a lot of the "skippable" ones for the 4-5 first seasons until I just started binge watching without caring as I was completely hooked.
And I've realized that most episodes rated "meh/avoid/just for fun" are my favorite ones... I don't really care too much about the politics, the Federation, the Romulans or the Cardassians.. I enjoy the Data-centric episodes, the starship glitches, the love affairs, ensigns drama, etc the most... Once I'm done I'll have to go back to the unseen episode eventually.

I'm nearly done with the season 7, I'll be watching the 4 TNG movies after that I guess? Which show should I watch next then? Deeps Space 9? Voyager? Enterprise?.. all of them...Picard?? (from Redlettermedia youtube thumbnails, it doesn't look good)

Last edited:

pramod

Banned
Yeah, nothing else really compared to TNG. The original TV series(and the cartoon series) came closest so you can try those. DS9 bored me even with its great characters and stories, it was just stuff happening on the same old space station.

And Voyager just wasn't as good. Most of the characters were bland as hell, except the Doctor who was ok. Haven't really watched Enterprise. My guess is it's just as bland.

Some of the TNG episodes like Darmok, the one with the Dyson Sphere, and the one where they are caught in a time loop are some of the best sci-fi I've ever experienced, whether in TV or movies.

Last edited:

JayK47

Definitely my favorite of all the Star Trek series. Love the old Movies as well. I am about due for watching them all over again.

Artoris

Gold Member
I've discovered the series recently and I love it, the cast, the relationships, Data.. All are great. The variety of themes treated in episodes is what it makes it watchable for everybody I suppose, this is well done and quite subtle most of the time.

I've heard multiple times that it was better to look for guides to know what to watch as lot of episodes are bad or boring.
So yes, after finding a list that has more than 10 episodes, I religiously followed it and skipped a lot of the "skippable" ones for the 4-5 first seasons until I just started binge watching without caring as I was completely hooked.
And I've realized that most episodes rated "meh/avoid/just for fun" are my favorite ones... I don't really care too much about the politics, the Federation, the Romulans or the Cardassians.. I enjoy the Data-centric episodes, the starship glitches, the love affairs, ensigns drama, etc the most... Once I'm done I'll have to go back to the unseen episode eventually.

I'm nearly done with the season 7, I'll be watching the 4 TNG movies after that I guess? Which show should I watch next then? Deeps Space 9? Voyager? Enterprise?.. all of them...Picard?? (from Redlettermedia youtube thumbnails, it doesn't look good)
Voyager is a lesser version of TNG, Deeps Space 9 is terrible and Enterprise is more serious and militaristic than TNG, and it's my favourite

Shai-Tan

Banned
I rewatched it last year. There are a lot of bad episodes but the good ones are fantastic. But I don’t regret watching it all the way through. When I looked at a few of the skip lists there were quite a few decent enough episodes and some of the bad ones are so bad they’re kind of funny

ManaByte

Everything other than TNG is a downgrade.
Deeps Space 9 is terrible
Star Trek GIF

Last edited:

Kenpachii

probably my favorite star trek series, i love the short episodes with different story's that are short.

I got hooked on it when i would wake up early in the morning and they would play a episode before going to school which perfectly fitted in that time window. I liked the characters and the story's specially the mysterious ones are the best in mine opinion.

Later on when i readed some stuff online, i only realized how hated some of the characters where by the die hard star trek community like that kid. That fanbase is really something.

20cent

Banned
The original TV series(and the cartoon series) came closest so you can try those.
I've seen quite a few of the original series on TV when I was a kid in the 80s but it was too old for my taste at the time, but I'll definitely have a look again. It's not like I remember the episodes anyway.
DS9 bored me even with its great characters and stories, it was just stuff happening on the same old space station.

And Voyager just wasn't as good. Most of the characters were bland as hell, except the Doctor who was ok. Haven't really watched Enterprise. My guess is it's just as bland.
I'll try some of those anyway as they are all available on Netflix, but that sound disappointing. Thanks.

INC

..The show was woke before we even knew that was a thing.

Yes it is

I recently started watching it all, since I've never bothered, and the wife loves star trek

Yeh its an awesome show, data and worf being the stand put characters for me

Hulk_Smash

Banned
TNG is the peak of Star Trek. Watch the original movies then try some of the books if you really want more. Everything other than TNG is a downgrade. If you're just binging through it and aren't that into the universe itself, everything else will be a disappointment.
Yes and this INCLUDES Deep Space 9. A show with the name Trek in it that does no trekking. Not sure why the fans say this show was great. It was a jolting halt to watch after watching TNG.

Badass intro though.

Definitely watch Deep Space 9. Enterprise is decent, especially season 3 and Phlox. Voyager doesn't reach the same heights, but if you like the Data episodes, you'll also enjoy the stories involving their holographic doctor. Picard is an insult to everything that made that character great and the movies are bad too.

Ulysses 31

Be weary of ST Discovery and Picard, the hope and optimism of the future seems completely devoid in those shows(DS9 started that trend a little was wasn't anywhere near as pessimistic).

Ulysses 31

Yes and this INCLUDES Deep Space 9. A show with the name Trek in it that does no trekking. Not sure why the fans say this show was great. It was a jolting halt to watch after watching TNG.

Badass intro though.
It did loads amounts of world building of the alpha quadrant with all the other big alien factions and characters like Worf(and the Klingons) got far more developed too than TNG ever did. The Dominion War also showed another side of the Federation not seen in any of the previous shows.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Voyager is a lesser version of TNG, Deeps Space 9 is terrible and Enterprise is more serious and militaristic than TNG, and it's my favourite

Claiming Voyager and DS9 are weak and claiming Enterprise is better? Lol, OK.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
That's the exact description the woke crowd give themselves... :messenger_beaming:

As for the show itself, I think its dated horribly,TBH.

Yes, of course they do - but they aren't any of those things. They like to believe they are virtuous, progressive, rational and thoughtful individuals, but that isn't what "woke" is. "Woke" is believing you are those things while espousing none of those traits.

TNG from its outset is progressive. It is rational, logical, and thoughtful. It tries to instill powerful virtues into its audience. It isn't woke in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
It isn't. It just followed the best of trek and took a while to find its legs. Adding Worf to DS9 helped. But the characters like Quark, his Brother and Odo really make the show shine. I enjoyed DS9 when it aired originally.
Quark, his Brother, are the best part of the DS9 Odo I don't like at all

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
So much hate on DS9 in this thread lol. THAT was the peak series. But that said, it built off of what TNG established. Without TNG, we couldn't have DS9.

Voyager is okay, but definitely some missed opportunities there. Still, it's light years better than Discovery and Picard.

Artoris

Gold Member
So much hate on DS9 in this thread lol. THAT was the peak series. But that said, it built off of what TNG established. Without TNG, we couldn't have DS9.

Voyager is okay, but definitely some missed opportunities there. Still, it's light years better than Discovery and Picard.
I could not watch more than three episodes of Discovery or Picard, like some have commented, it's not Star Trek

BigBooper

I haven't seen Enterprise or Picard, but if you're still digging TNG, go for Voyager. It's most similar to TNG. It's not as good as DS9 imo, but it's still good. Then you'll have DS9 to look forward to as a change of pace. And if you love the crew drama, DS9 has plenty.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I haven't seen Enterprise or Picard, but if you're still digging TNG, go for Voyager. It's most similar to TNG. It's not as good as DS9 imo, but it's still good. Then you'll have DS9 to look forward to as a change of pace. And if you love the crew drama, DS9 has plenty.

Voyager is dogshit. It's just the TNG leftovers, literally. They reuse effects from TNG (the Dyson sphere is reused early in the show for the Starfleet spacedock, they just replaced the Enterprise with a shuttle in the shot) and even the actors were wearing TNG leftovers (Garret Wang wore Brent Spiner's shoes).

The first two seasons of Enterprise are just OK. But Seasons 3 and 4 are excellent. They actually explain the TOS Klingons in a way that fits and the they show how the Federation got started.

Last edited:
..The show was woke before we even knew that was a thing.
the problem with wokeness is that the woke writers are often like broken npcs that can't write a decent plot to save their lives. Everything is token victimhood upon token victimhood with racism and sexism, hatred of whites and hatred of men sprinkled throughout.

But there are exceptions like Last Jedi(minus the whole lets f up Luke, which is a big no no), and She-ra from netflix, which have good writing.

But in general nonwoke but progressive content from japan such as manga is owning woke garbage from failed writers in america. And now there's talk of movies and tv shows based on such anime properties.

Look at something like Noblesse, it had diversity to a degree, it had strong women. It had tons of positive messages, but it wasn't marred in hatred of privileged groups(btw, it is GOD or Nature that gives the privilege, people are dealt random hands of genes, as well as random hand of connections, and opportunities, some get more others less, even from birth. This is the nature of the world.), or espousing political messages or virtue signaling at the cost of the plot.

Back to the topic of sci-fi, a great sci-fi anime is Ergo Proxy. As for star trek the movies are good, particularly the Original Series movies, but the next generation movies are also good.

Last edited:
That's the exact description the woke crowd give themselves... :messenger_beaming:

Difference being that classic Trek never aspired to such narcissistic and self-fellating tendencies. Yes, Trek always dealt with moral issues, but always did so in a self-critical manner and from a humble position.
If you think of yourself as overly smart and intelligent, odds are that you're probably not.

Difference being that classic Trek never aspired to such narcissistic and self-fellating tendencies. Yes, Trek always dealt with moral issues, but always did so in a self-critical manner and from a humble position.
If you think of yourself as overly smart and intelligent, odds are that you're probably not.
Original Trek has tact and artistry.

As for the earth, the earth is a ship of fools, even the navigators are fools

Like ruri says about everyone in martian successor nadesico:
Baka

I love DS9. I've been trying to watch Voyager but it's just not good.

I watched the first season of TNG when I was a kid. I probably should watch the remaining seasons one of these days.

Nu Trek is garbage.

RavageX

This person is crazy. TNG is my fav, I didn't care much for most of the TNG films though. The one with Kirk was OK. I like most of the old films. I didn't really like Voyager, but DS9 was great! Started off slow, but had great characters, and was good to see Worf and the the other TNG guy😅 continue their stories on the show.

Enterprise I did not care much for, and by the time I started to be interested, it was over.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

Like some have already stated, it's hard comparing the other ST series out there in retrospect to the popularity and success of TNG. I've always found TNG more interesting and sci-fi than TOS. This is coming from the guy who defends everything in media that's older first. The movies for the originals were okay but the depth of TNG always had me. The other series are never brought up journalistic or otherwise when looking back the same way TNG is. I encourage to watch the others too...except Enterprise...

There are a few episodes of TNG which I've always rolled my eyes at. One is "Data's Day" and the other (I forget the title) is something about Wesley Crusher joining some weird native American-like tribe.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I've seen quite a few of the original series on TV when I was a kid in the 80s but it was too old for my taste at the time, but I'll definitely have a look again. It's not like I remember the episodes anyway.

I'll try some of those anyway as they are all available on Netflix, but that sound disappointing. Thanks.

Don't listen to everyone else. DS9 is right up there with TNG. It expanded the lore and touched on subjects all other st does hid from, even TNG

Picard is great ... Just don't look at it as a continuation of TNG. It's set over 30 years later, after all

Last edited:

Davey Cakes

I'm struggling to get through season 1. I heard the show really picks up after this season so I plan on sticking with it.
You absolutely should. Season 1 is generally considered to be terrible outside of maybe a few episodes. Some episodes are just leftover scripts from OG Star Trek, and the sets outside the Enterprise itself are very poor. Season 2 is probably twice as good as Season 1 and it has some no-miss episodes, but the standard recommendation for newbies is to start with Season 3 when the series hits S-tier and doesn't fall off until Season 7.

Also, I love TNG but the DS9 slander in this thread hurts my soul. DS9 is excellent and I actually prefer it to TNG in many ways. It has many strong characters and really utilizes the space station setting to its fullest. It's not only a great companion to TNG, but it's also a complement to other similar shows like Babylon 5.

TNG and DS9 are the peaks of Star Trek.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Currently rewatching TNG. I'm somewhere in Season 3 at the moment.

I'm not a hardcore fan by any means but I love it nonetheless.

Rival

Gold Member
A lot of the early episodes are pretty rough but overall it’s my favorite Star Trek series. I rewatched on Netflix last year.

Top Bottom