• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario Sunshine

Naibel

I remember having bought the game during Christmas 2002, but being so disgusted by that filthy brown goop being thrown everywhere that I never got pass the first mission ! I was pretty young back then. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Three years later, I mustered up some courage and gave it another shot.
And well... it was pretty good. Not awesome, not masterpiece-level, but pretty good. It more of a 7 to 8/10 game were 64 and the two Galaxy games were solid 9's, even 10's.

Some levels like the theme park were great, while others like the mansion were a tad boring. The pure platforming levels were horrendous, and I dreaded them everytime they appeared. And man, some bonus levels like the flipper one were broken beyond belief. Considering Nintendo's QA standards, it was pretty baffling.

But like everyone else, I loved the tropical setting, the soundtrack, the graphics (I am still bummed it wasn't 60 fps though), and the "story" was a bit more fleshed-out and interesting than the previous entries. The whole doppelganger thing with Antimario and Peach being not captured from the get-go were nice breaks from the formula.

If you haven't played the game yet, just stick to the main quest. This is the only 3D Mario game where doing the 100% route is not only unnecessary but will only degrade the whole experience. The is the COMPLETE opposite of Odyssey !

VGEsoterica

I will always defend my “Sunshine is the best” Mario game statement haha.

My wife and brother in law look at me like I’m crazy but to me it’s the perfect 3D Mario game. Wish we could get a remake or even a sequel on Switch!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah, it still has a hub world with portals to multiple levels. each level has a series of objectives, making use of the open world style level design, encouraging replay. mini bosses are still there. power ups are still there. level design is very much like Mario 64, just w more detail. personally i think the economy demanded of 64 resulted in more iconic & memorable level design overall in that game, however Sunshine's levels have beebn great so far, and for me there are still plenty more to see. 64's are simpler in geometry while Sunshine's have a baroque-ness to them. they are lovingly stuffed with detail, with lots of attention paid to verticality. interesting how the water levels were the weakest part of 64 but here it's done so well, it's the main mode of the game!

i love it, it's kind of weird, out on it's own vibe. like the Super Mario Bros. 2 USA of the 3D games. for sure a must play.

It's a fantastic game but inverting the camera controls with gecko codes is a must!
lol i was wondering why camera controls felt off to me. oh well it doesn't take long to adjust to it...

Last edited:

Holgren

I love Sunshine a lot and it is probably my favorite 3D Mario game with 64. The final stage and boss sucked though.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Not a fan of the other nozzle add ons tbh. Once you get the ticket or whatever u can’t seem to use the hover function anymore. This is where a remaster could let u switch between them

#Phonepunk#

Banned
There have been a couple parts where I almost got frustrated but then just by exploring I could always figure it out.

Just arrived in the sunset beach. I love it! This manta ray fight is really cool. I wonder if Demon’s Souls was inspired by this game...

Okay, so last week a friend gave me a Game Cube and I promptly ordered a memory card and several games: Zelda: The Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, and Super Mario Sunshine. I've already played through a bit of MP on emulator and am saving Zelda for later (right now I'm occupied with the Link's Awakening remake) so for now I'm diving into Super Mario Sunshine.

So far, it's pretty cool! The intro cutscene kind of weirded me out for a minute, LOL at the idea of seeing Mario in court/jail, but once the game started, the controls were instantly recognizable and I had a blast knocking out the first few challenges. To be honest I had tried this game before on emulator and found it nearly impossible to catch the shadow Mario at the start and just gave up. But using the real controller, and the light/harder press of the triggers, I can now run and shoot with ease. So right away I'm enjoying it way more! The controls really suit the GC controller.

I like the atmosphere a lot. The new characters are weird and cartoony and I like them too. The theme of cleaning up an island is pretty nice, it is rare that a videogame hero gets to do something that sets a good example. The water gun is a lot of fun and the floating mechanics are pretty rad. Who would have thought to add FPS shooting to Mario? But they did, and it works!

Anyways,

yahooooooo!

Still the best Mario ever created imho, Galaxy and Odissey, even 64 fall way behind

There is something unique in it, being maybe the setting, the atmosphere, the gameplay, I don't know, but...I love that game, I replay it almost every year

Shifty

Sunshine is solid, but those blue coin shines are some bullshit. 64 never frustrated me quite as hard as that, even though it had a regular get-all-the-coins star in every world.

Grinchy

Banned
This thread actually made me fire up the emulator to check this game out. I never realized this was a 30fps game until now. I know if we compare it to Mario 64, that's a huge improvement, but I just always associate Mario games with being 60fps nowadays so it was strange to see.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ahh this King Boo boss fight... was SO GOOD!!

also feel like i've fought repeating giant squid boss a number of times now. 3? still a fun fight but you can tell they are stretching the content.

honestly that's my only complaint. just realized i am getting to the end of the game and there were only 10 levels. a huge step back from 64's 16 levels.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

This level right here! Maybe the best Mario level I have ever played.

d91.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom