• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Th Evil Within 1 and 2... The first one is way better.... Right?

I Iove them for different reasons.

Part 1 there was alot of mystery, wheres part 2 that mystery was solved (what was happening) so it focused on the characters individual stories. Were so lucky to have got a part 2 but it really does need a part 3 kill he who shall not be named!

One might have the slight edge but both are 5 star games.

Speaking of which, wth is Tango even working on now since that last horror game they showed at E3 got cancelled?

Are they even making anything or you think it's possible we might get a 3rd game?

Arachnid

Gameplay wise, the second is better (other than boss fights IMO).

Everything else though? The first game is in another stratosphere.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
Speaking of which, wth is Tango even working on now since that last horror game they showed at E3 got cancelled?

Are they even making anything or you think it's possible we might get a 3rd game?

WHAT!? Ghost Wire has been cancelled?

How did I miss this. Ruvik I'm coming for you!

Arachnid

What? I don't think Ghostwire ever got canceled. It just looked to be in a bad spot since Nakamura (creative director/asian E3 tango lady) left the company.

I'm not opposed to it being cancelled though. I want these guys back on Evil Within ASAP

MDSLKTR

I loved them both.
First had crazy imagery and unforgettable chapters (3 and 9).
Second was overall more polished and I loved the open city that reminded me of silent hill series, exploration was always rewarded either with skill points, resources or mini horror scenes. I need to replay them both.

I really loved the environment design of 2.
C8C6FE068DD6A6F2FB889B1A129EA92D960BE53D

5739C3A1679A420689552884DFFFB856F76406B8

E733878676C3E99BD9613FE858F380F3ECF013A2

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I didn’t like TEW1. The gameplay and areas felt designed to be annoying and frustrating for the sake of it, too many enemies jammed in narrow hallways or corridors with WAY too limited ammo to deal with it. I found myself running away from enemies half the time.... not fun. The atmosphere and story were interesting enough, but I didn’t like the gameplay at all.

I enjoyed TEW2 somewhat. I think the series overall is nothing special, but I’d try another entry into it.

Last edited:
I didn’t like TEW1. The gameplay and areas felt designed to be annoying and frustrating for the sake of it, too many enemies jammed in narrow hallways or corridors with WAY too limited ammo to deal with it. I found myself running away from enemies half the time.... not fun. The atmosphere and story were interesting enough, but I didn’t like the gameplay at all.

I enjoyed TEW2 somewhat. I think the series overall is nothing special, but I’d try another entry into it.

I bet the first game went through a lot of design changes during development. Like wtf was the point of hiding in closets and under beds in the first third of the game?

Reactions: Isa

Hostile_18

Banned
The 2nd one suffered from "this time let's appeal to a broader audience" syndrome. It's an awesome game and in many ways it is the better game-game, but the 1st had mojo and vision that just wasn't there in the 2nd.

Blame the sales for that. We were very lucky to get a second game IMO.

ISubZBR

The first game is one of my favorite games of all time, i've finished multiple times. The second one i lost interest in the middle of the game. They destroyed the characters, they destroyed the world and story, the "open-world" style of gameplay is not interesting.

As far as i know the first game was made by God Shinji Mikami, the second game not.

Completely agree

Hostile_18

Banned
I think the extent you find the first one enjoyable is how much you can put up with "jank".

Two of my favorite games are Deadly Premonition and Alpha Protocol so it's a big hell yes from me 😉.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

The bolded - so damn true.

I tried to do a 2nd playthrough on EW1 before diving into 2 and just got bored and fed up after the 1st couple of chapters and quit. It made me have 2nd thoughts about even bothering with EW2. I'm glad I overcame those 2nd thoughts because I ended up really liking 2 other than the "family tropes' someone else already mentioned.

TUROK

Opinion among critics is that the second one is better but I really really disagree.

TEW2 is a solid horror title, but it never hits the disturbing and intense highs that the first one nailed.

TEW1 made me feel like I was somewhere oppressive, somewhere that I really wasn't supposed to be. Survival was difficult, and I'd barely make it out of encounters by the skin of my teeth. The grotesque art style reinforced this, and the vastly different chapters made the game feel like the survival horror version of RE4.

Part 2 has some pretty creepy moments and a solid storyline, but it just never got under my skin the way 1 did.

I gotta replay TEW1 soon. I fucking loved that game.

Last edited:

ISubZBR

Its good to mension, second one was directed by a Western Guy called John Johanas.

TBH I really liked TEW2, but it feels generic in some ways. Its like a Western movie remake from a japanese movie. They changed a great ambiantation to generic one.

Top Bottom