• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Witcher 3

Shifty1897

The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag are the only two open world games where I methodically cleared the entire map question mark by question mark because I didn't want it to ever end.

• Strength
Reactions: Fuz

DeaDPo0L84

It's my favorite game of all time. My monitor background is Witcher themed, I have the Witcher 3 Secretlab chair on pre-order, also the Prime 1 $1,500 Geralt statue, Geralt pop figure on my desk, Limited Edition Witcher 3 displate above my monitor, also a Witcher medallion under my monitor that came with the limited edition of the game when it released, as well as both collector sets of the expansion passes with the gwent cards. When people say that a game moved them or changed their perception on gaming from that point forward I used to scoff and roll my eyes but Witcher 3 did that for me and I can't wait to experience it all again later in the year. It's a 10/10 not because it has no faults but because the overall package is so well done it's easy to look past the minor blemishes here or there.

Kumomeme

I've been meaning to play Dragon's Dogma. While I've heard the combat is great, I've also heard the story is very weak. And I'm huge on story. I'll probably eventually check it out.

The horse sucks, yes. I thought it was just me as I tend to hate horses in all games. I hated using the horse in BoTW too. The horse is fine in Witcher 3 as long as you stick to the roads. Once I leave the roads its a nightmare. As such, I also spend the majority of the game on foot.

idk why games have so much trouble providing a horse that feels good to ride. Character movement is great for me, surprising how terrible horse movement is.
Dragons Dogma has interesting premise but story is weak. the strength of the game is on its combat. if you love job system with flashy skill, like to roaming around while encounter monster and fight them, the game perfect for you.

so I went to a ball with Triss last night

It was all so beautiful it sorta made me want to put the game on hold until the next gen patch comes out cuz it seems like quests like that would be great to experience for the first time post-upgrade

Might put this on hold for now so the experiences are new when the patch comes out

Idk

I've tried to play this game twice. The first time I got to whatever the large city is (novigrad?) and all the dialogue and running around the city just got to me, so I quit. The second time, I felt like I had seen all there was to see and just stopped.

I really really really enjoy the game. The graphics are good. The writing is spectacular. The quests are fantastic. I've read all the book and enjoy the setting, characters, and backstory.

I have two critical issues with the game:

1) over-leveling makes the game insanely easy. I really appreciably how combat gives little experience with quests as the primary source. However, the quests are so fun that you can easily make yourself twice the level as needed for the main story.

2) Paradoxically, despite the fast leveling, the skill-tree feels like it levels up slowly. Since you greatly benefit from focusing on skills rather than spreading everything out, gaining skill points feels like, "oh wheee, I made this skill I already had slightly better" rather than some cool new ability. In my second play through, I reached the point where I knew exactly where all my future skill-points would be allocated, and nothing new or exciting was to be had.

All that said, I am getting back into PC gaming with a new PC after almost 20 years. I have already bought the second and third game on GOG in preparation of the PC arriving later this month. I have always wanted to play the second game. I think that getting that extra backstory and carrying over the save file will help me get into it more. I'll give the series another try on a harder difficulty and see how it goes.

Last edited:
I've played through the game twice now and it's easily in my top 3.

I'm holding off on my third play-through and waiting for the next-gen patch which is supposed to becoming out Q2 of this year. I originally played it on my PS4 which was at 30 FPS but I'm confident the next-gen patch will have a 60 FPS option for my PS5, that as well as the instant load times make it really tempting for another play-through or for someone who is thinking of purchasing the game given they have the required hardware.

Back the game it self, the world design is amazing, it's vast and immersive and every region has its own unique "flavour", the soundtrack is easily one of the best and of course the story is very epic, the game is one the best when it comes to how well rounded it is. I know people are always complaining about how bad the combat it but honestly I've never had an issue and I actually enjoyed it. My only little complaint would be how underpowered the Wild Hunt were, it was pretty straight forward when it came to defeating Eredin, Caranthir and Imlerith. I think CDPR did acknowledge this criticism which is why the villains in the DLC were a little more tricky, when I say villains I mean mainly Detlaff. Although that being said, I would say the villains were written extremely well and had a lot of nuance to them, Eredin was trying to save the Aen Elle from the Whitefrost, Detlaff was being used like a puppet by a psychotic bitch and Gaunter O'Dimm...well dude has to be one the most intriguing an mysterious villains written in game history.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I only got around to playing it last year myself and absolutely loved it, I'm currently holding off on playing Blood and wine expansion until the next gen patch drops so I can at least play through it with hopefully better visuals but by fuck it's hard to ignore it

Braag

If you don't romance Yen, you will always get the wrong ending.

The Witcher 3 and Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag are the only two open world games where I methodically cleared the entire map question mark by question mark because I didn't want it to ever end.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone clear all the question marks in Skellige considering they're almost entirely just pointless loot.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Add me to the list of shame that’s never played it 👍🏻

Have it on disc for Xbox and PS4 (don’t ask me now - no idea) and have just again installed the GoTY edition onto my PS5.

With this working from home lark never ending for me, I think it’s time to finally dive in. Like many others I’ve always assumed it be too complicated and prefer a Skyrim based approach. I’ve looked at the trophy list descriptions and literally been like ‘what the fuck is that about’ in the past too.

tassletine

Story and world design are great, gameplay is pretty poor. Average at the time of release but it feels very dated now.
Horses than run continuously even when faced with a wall (and other lame details) keep it from being timeless.

thatJohann

I’ve tried to get into this game so many times and just lose my interest as soon as I start seeing how overwhelming the inventory management is. If they removed all that, then I would try again.

DeaconOfTheDank

Gold Member
Well, congratulations OP. This thread made me go install Witcher 3 and go on yet another modding spree - 92 installed overall.

rC0q0z.png

Damn I missed this game.

Last edited:

gela94

Not going to lie, I jumped onto the bandwagon after giving the Netflix show a try.

I originally didn't like it, but the show ended up growing on me. It's not amazing or anything, but by the end of season 1 I was totally invested. After finishing season 2 I decided to give the games a go.

I beat The Witcher 2 last week. Game was great. Story was excellent. Not much to say other than I had a blast playing it. Think I spent about 40 hours to beat it?

Decided to pick up The Witcher 3 GOTY edition after beating it and holy shit. I'll get this part of the way: The Witcher 3 is likely the best video game I've ever played.

I say likely because I'm still in the first chapter. I'm about 40 hours in and only just recently got to Novigrad.

This game has, by far, the best side quests I've ever experienced in a game. The fact that they are optional and so easy to overlook is almost criminal. This actually brings me to one of my first criticisms (actually, only real criticism of the game). The side quests are so, so, so good and so rich in story I went out of my way to do every single side quest I found. I made a habit out of not skipping them because I'll pick up a seemingly random, unimportant contract only to run into fucking
Letho
as part of the quest. The problem is, if you do the side quests you'll quickly over level yourself. If you take a break from the side quests to focus on the main story, you'll quickly over level yourself making the side quests only reward 1 xp. This is a fairly minor criticism as I believe you can remedy this by increasing the difficulty which reduces XP reward. I'll definitely be doing this in NG+.

I hear that some people aren't a fan of the combat system. I don't really get this criticism. It's definitely a noticeable improvement from The Witcher 2 and I find it very enjoyable. There are so many different sorts of monsters each with unique attacks. The combat feels responsive and makes each battle feel engaging. I like that you can choose how much you want to invest in signs/magic and have a viable build either way.

The level of detail in the open world is astounding. I gave up on AC: Valhalla like 40 hours into it. Despite finding the world beautiful, it just left me with no real compelling reason to explore it. After a while it just became a bore. I'm only 40 hours in but am having an amazing time exploring the world. If something looks cool, odds are you will have a highly rewarding experience if you simply go explore it. Whether it be a hidden treasure or trigger some side quest.

Dialogue is amazing, story is amazing although I will say the side quests hugely help here and provide more than a enough filler where the main story may be lacking.

I actually enjoyed Cyberpunk. It was my first CD Projekt Red game and I didn't get why people set their expectations so high. I get it now. While I find Cyberpunk enjoyable. it's not even in the same universe as The Witcher 3.

My only dilemma now is whether to continue to take my time as I've been doing or beat it a little faster than I originally planned so I can replay it on NG+.

If this game does eventually get a significant next gen upgrade, then just wow. The game looks stunning already tbh.

Sorry if I seem to be rambling. The Witcher 2 was like $3 and The Witcher 3 GOTY was like $9 when I bought them a couple weeks ago on the XSX. Definitely the best money I've ever spent on a game ever.

This is likely the best game I've ever played in my entire life. I actually took a break from it and didn't play yesterday because I don't want the experience to ever end. Can't remember last time I felt this way playing a game.
I found out the best way to play this, is on hard because then all the potions, signs and stuff are needed and the combat becomes so much more engaging.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wish it'll get a 60fps boost on Series S. I'd like to give it another chance in that case seeing I liked the series

Xdrive05

This thread dragged me back in. I can never seem to get more than 1 hour at a time playing, but when I get on a tear I'll play it every day for weeks as time permits. Stays in your head between sessions, too.

This week I'm just running around clearing question marks off the map. I'm mostly doing guarded treasures and monster nests, things like that.

When I do come across a legit side quest it is an absolute pleasure! This game's side quests really make me wish there were more RPGs as ambitious as this one.

What RPGs since TW3 are in the same league?

AlphaMale

Yes, The Witcher 3 is also the best video game I've ever played. lol

I just wanted to jump here to give kudos to the soundtrack. The music in the game is really, really good. Each different territory/region has its own music. The music in the "Blood and Wine" DLC is exceptional!

Flabagast

This thread dragged me back in. I can never seem to get more than 1 hour at a time playing, but when I get on a tear I'll play it every day for weeks as time permits. Stays in your head between sessions, too.

This week I'm just running around clearing question marks off the map. I'm mostly doing guarded treasures and monster nests, things like that.

When I do come across a legit side quest it is an absolute pleasure! This game's side quests really make me wish there were more RPGs as ambitious as this one.

What RPGs since TW3 are in the same league?
CP 2077 is pretty close, believe it or not

Bogeyman

Banned
W3 is the only game ever in my entire life in which I've done side quests of which I already knew they wouldn't offer any significant rewards to me.

Simply because their writing so amazing that simply doing the quests was enough of a rewards, even without extrinsic thins like xp, items, or anything else.

I didn’t like this when I first played it either. I got it at launch on PS4 back in the day. It just didn’t connect with me. Years later, I bought it on Steam on sale and installed the HD and couple other mods. I forced myself to play it and after not too long it clicked. I just fell in love with this game like few others before. Hands down top 5 games of all time for me. Enjoy your time with it. I wish I could go back in time and enjoy for the first time all over.

Sorne

I've also gained interest in this game after watching the TV show. I've played it before but lost interest after a couple of hours because of how clunky it felt compared to the souls games (which I'm a huge fan of). But I might give it another go after Elden Ring and hopefully by then, they've put out the next-gen patch.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I don't get why people don't like the combat either. It just seems to be an opinion that people like to parrot without giving any reasons. I thought it was smooth and fun, nicely animated, skillful.
I enjoy the combat system. Felt like a badass opening up the bestiary, preparing yourself. Oils & buffs. Sign use. Feels great when you put together a battle plan and then execute it.

UnNamed

Banned
I think I did more than 350 missions over 412, I probably miss something in those parts where you can't go back. I did everything I wanted to do, except an important mission I skipped where you have the chance to kill Radovid, because I choose to brake the Dijkstrka bones in the sauna and probably other reasons during the game . I appreciate the main quest's finale but despite was good it wasn't the best one for me, better in Blood and Wine.
Decisions during gameplay can actually change the course of the events, sometimes in little parts, sometimes in big, they really did an incredible job in this aspect, probably the game is still unmatched, surely it is for me.

Troussand is what Hyrule should be in a Zelda game. I was in Lake Garda this summer, and I felt I was in the game (except the game was inspired by some french area, but France and Italy are very similar).

Kenpachii

I think I did more than 350 missions over 412, I probably miss something in those parts where you can't go back. I did everything I wanted to do, except an important mission I skipped where you have the chance to kill Radovid, because I choose to brake the Dijkstrka bones in the sauna and probably other reasons during the game . I appreciate the main quest's finale but despite was good it wasn't the best one for me, better in Blood and Wine.
Decisions during gameplay can actually change the course of the events, sometimes in little parts, sometimes in big, they really did an incredible job in this aspect, probably the game is still unmatched, surely it is for me.

Troussand is what Hyrule should be in a Zelda game. I was in Lake Garda this summer, and I felt I was in the game (except the game was inspired by some french area, but France and Italy are very similar).

Honestly first game i feel like choices matter, that actually effects your game heavily. i played the game before 3 years ago and this playthrough which i try to 100% the game in, i see so much different dialogue and outcomes and missions as result. Absolute fantastic.

Got teh main vanilla game done now and 100% finished, run fast through the first DLC as i am not much of a horror fan. So now its time tommorow for toussain, as i already did it once before in a run 3 years ago, i can't wait. the whole enviroment in toussain, music and colorful area's + fairytales + architecture really makes u feel like u are on a vacation.

It's great.

Exentryk

This is likely the best game I've ever played in my entire life.
giphy.gif

Take your time with the game. To increase your immersion, turn off "question marks" on the map, which will make exploration and encountering content more organic.

I also highly recommend the expansions. Since you've got the GOTY edition, you will eventually get to them. So savour them.

Fuz

Banned
I bought my current PC for The Witcher 3 launch. Never uninstalled it.

(That was also the plan for CP2077, but with gpu shortage and the outcome of the game I still have my TW3 PC)

Mr Branding

It's one of the greatest games of all time IMO.
Finished it twice on ps4 and currently working thru it again on Switch and I can't believe I'm so hooked again. The storytelling and quests are top notch, and I absolutely love Geralt as a main character.
So many memorable moments that stuck with me... love it!

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

I think the main thing I need to learn is not to try and play it like a Skyrim / Fallout 3 kind of game. That's where I'm letting myself down - you know Skyrim when you can jump up the side of mountains etc. if you keep spamming the jump button.

Laptop1991

Great game, once i got the hang of the combat i loved it, took me a while to start playing The Witcher 3 but i got there in the end.

I started replaying the goty a year or so back on XSX but put it down waiting for the next gen patch, however my brother was doing a replay and talked me into it so I loaded up again while on annual leave and forgot how amazing both of the DLCs are for this game. Nearly finished Heart of Stone and played the first few quests of Blood and Wine and the game has me hooked as much as it ever did. Holds up so well considering it’s age.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Take your time with the game. To increase your immersion, turn off "question marks" on the map, which will make exploration and encountering content more organic.

I also highly recommend the expansions. Since you've got the GOTY edition, you will eventually get to them. So savour them.

Being a methodical guy, I love having something to aim for

Nitty_Grimes

Right. Just found Yennefer. Or more to the fact, she found me.

Annoying me so far:

1) I'm crap at pressing circle to dodge, Geralt doesn't seem to dodge - is it a timing thing?
2) No quick access to the map - press a couple of buttons each time to get to it - are there shortcuts that I'm just not seeing?

If you're on PC, you can set custom controller shortcut buttons via various apps.

You can turn the question marks on after you've finished exploring the zone organically. Best of both worlds!

Isn't that the default? The question marks pop up once you enter certain areas

The default is on. I said in my recommendation to turn them off for better immersion.

I don't know why that's better immersion, since you don't trigger a question mark until you visit the area. That's what progression feels like

ie. letting you know you've entered somewhere important that wasn't obvious by cursory visual clues

It's not like all question marks are set to 'show' from the moment you start. That would be pretty lame

Are you trying to turn Witcher 3 into Breath of the Wild, where you could wander aimlessly for the rest of your life, not knowing if you're progressing forwards or not

Last edited:
That's alright. You don't have to play that way. But it might work for OP, like it does for me and others.

I get it if you want to discover every single thing you to do on your own volition, but that can take years. I already put over 300 hours into the game even with question marks on. I wouldn't want to have had to devote 1000+ hours to find everything

Minimisation of frustration >>>>>> stumbling across 100% of secrets just by stumbling across them

Last edited:
Top Bottom