• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Wonderful 101 - This utterly incredible game... isn't very good

prwxv3

Kamiya Has to cut it out with putting pacing killing no-combat sections in his games. W-101 would have been long enough if they axed all the shity non-combat moments.

Riposte

The more I tried to get into this game, the more I hated it.

Im sorry. Kamiya is a fantastic game designer but he needs a filter. TW101 is what happens when you let him do what he wants.

I finally gave up and sold my copy last week. If I have spent 6 months with your game and I still dont have the desire to replay it, its crap. Platinum or no platinum.

And before you repost saurs video for the hundredth time, yeah. I learnt to do all that. I dont care. The game isnt fun.

"I don't care" isn't very compelling.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Kamiya Has to cut it out with putting pacing killing no-combat sections in his games. W-101 would have been long enough if they axed all the shity non-combat moments.

The problem is I think that if it didn't have all the minigames, the game might actually be worse off because of how repetitive the encounters themselves actually are

Glad to see I'm wasn't the only one, OP. I really enjoy this game, but I think I enjoy the idea of it more than the actual game itself. Whenever I go to play it, it feels more like a chore and ends up in me saying giving up in a semi-rage.

Game is a lot of fun in the early sections but the 'do it again, but double' elements of the boss design got frustrated. The bosses were fun, but annoying when you had to deal with two different timing signatures of attack moves.

Also at times I felt it was too hard to tell if an attack was blockable or parryable.

Or maybe I'm just shit at action games.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
After I got Hero Counter I just assumed that everything could be parried and nothing could be blocked

Was right like 95% of the time. Did learn that some moves on later enemies could infact be guts for stuns

Jesus, the amount of who boil down OP's criticisms to "lol get gud n00b" is disheartening. 101 has some good ideas, but they're lost in a sea of intentionally obtuse game design. Plenty of games in this genre, even ones made by Platinum themselves - are far better about explaining their mechanics, and making every combat encounter enjoyable. You're selling the entire genre short if you ignore this game's most apparent flaws as par for the course.

I got reminded of DSP after reading your post
:/

I think everyone eventually comes across a game that's a big pile WTF. For them, and usually it's due to them and not the game. Personally for me it's Tekken [due to not playing consistently to the point of being able to know characters and read opponents].... I'd also throw SFIV on that list too tho [Dat data and... ugh "properties"], although I'm slowly starting to confirm to it's design despite all my years of playing 2D fighters and becoming accustomed to those properties, but I'm always willing to admit it or at least be able to know/accept when something isn't for you. I thought I'd never enjoy League of Legends and now I play that shit damn near daily.

I don't think it's fair for some people to get upset at a game for challenging them.

[Also. Let's all pray for DSP.]

I agree and disagree.

They are hit and miss for me.

For example, I thought the ship/train part was decent and the Zaxxon-ey shooting part was well done.

Also, the inside-the-ship flying section where you control it running over big buttons inside...I thought that was neat.

When done well, they add variety and I think a refreshing change of pace when there are so many normal battles but some of the shooting parts were just there and not very fun at all.

Riposte

I agree and disagree.

They are hit and miss for me.

For example, I thought the ship/train part was decent and the Zaxxon-ey shooting part was well done.

Also, the inside-the-ship flying section where you control it running over big buttons inside...I thought that was neat.

When done well, they add variety and I think a refreshing change of pace when there are so many normal battles but some of the shooting parts were just there and not very fun at all.

Perhaps I'm more forgiving of them than most, but they do have their use, just like ViewtifulJC said (I'm not touching those God Hand comments though...) I think TW101 does a good job making most of them at least bearable and some I really appreciate.

The most annoying chapter to reply in the game is the first main boss, with orochi or w/e. A rare unskippable cutscene into the most boring (although not most frustrating) shooting section, with loading screens included. Boss fight is fun though.

"I don't care" isn't very compelling.

Its not an argument. Ive spent enough time "debating" this game on here. Ive watched every video, learnt the game mechanics, tried new game + and my opinion is exactly the same as when I first booted the game.

If anyone thinks this game is amazing more power to them. Ditto if its the collective opinion.

I don't like it. Simples.

Hypron

Yeah. The only ones that didn't make me want to stop playing (especially on replays) were the punch out fights (and even then, I prefer the normal combat).

sfried

I wouldn't mind the sexualized (or heavily gendered, in the case of side/grunt characters) female characters if it wasn't applicable to just about every single one. Imouta isn't the christmas tree of tropes Pink was, but we still got a good look at the butt of her toy figure body. Wouldn't have hurt to have one more of the main cast be a woman, White being the best candidate.

Is everybody forgetting Alice MacGreggor?
w101_alice250_2686.jpg

A.K.A. Wonder Scarf

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How does this game differ from any other Platinum game? I'm genuinely curious, since I hear this all the time but when I actually watch people play (both real and online), I never hear this complaint from veteran Platinum fans. Maybe I'm relying on too small of a pool here, but I a honestly confused how people see a difference.

I disagree. The scattering exists as a punishment for getting hit, and until you get to high tier-attacks from bosses or late-game enemies, the fact that the ones that get scattered were in the Unite Morph you made is a reminder that your power comes at a cost. you go big, you fail big.
Having just played through Bayonetta 1 and 2 in the last week I think the difference stems from a number of things;

For one thing, the command inputs themselves. The extra layer of drawing your unite morphs, while very interesting, is tedious while engaged in combat. Neither the analog stick or touch screen feel natural to me. I love the idea but I wish it were possible to create them in a different way as I dislike moving by thumbs to another input position to execute them. In other Platinum games it feels like everything you need is always at your finger tips but here you have to shift back and forth.

Then there is the scattering mechanic. I agree that breaking your unite morph is a fitting punishment but scattering your guys all over the screen feels like it simply delays your next attack. If there was an equivalent of something like a "tech roll" in this game where it's possible to save yourself from being completely blown apart I would like it more.

Also, while I loved the variety, it sometimes felt unclear as to what needed to be done in certain scenes. Bayonetta also delivers loads of variety but it's always clear what needs to happen - it's just a matter of execution.

There's also my frame-rate complaints again. The reason those are such a big deal here is that, as the games intensity and challenge increase, the performance decreases in an almost linear fashion. The more frustrating a sequence, the more likely it is to run slowly. Basically the frame-rate fails me when I need it the most.

Combining the severe punishment from getting hit, the steep learning curve, bad frame-rate, and the input methods makes for a frustrating game. It's a difficult game that I don't have fun learning. Games like Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and the like are a cake walk compared to Wonderful 101 but when they were challenging I wanted to keep playing and overcome the challenge. That's not the case with W101.

I'm jealous of those that managed to enjoy it, though, as there are so many wonderful aspects to the game that I wish I could enjoy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Having just played through Bayonetta 1 and 2 in the last week I think the difference stems from a number of things;

For one thing, the command inputs themselves. The extra layer of drawing your unite morphs, while very interesting, is tedious while engaged in combat. Neither the analog stick or touch screen feel natural to me. I love the idea but I wish it were possible to create them in a different way as I dislike moving by thumbs to another input position to execute them. In other Platinum games it feels like everything you need is always at your finger tips but here you have to shift back and forth.

Then there is the scattering mechanic. I agree that breaking your unite morph is a fitting punishment but scattering your guys all over the screen feels like it simply delays your next attack. If there was an equivalent of something like a "tech roll" in this game where it's possible to save yourself from being completely blown apart I would like it more.

Also, while I loved the variety, it sometimes felt unclear as to what needed to be done in certain scenes. Bayonetta also delivers loads of variety but it's always clear what needs to happen - it's just a matter of execution.

There's also my frame-rate complaints again. The reason those are such a big deal here is that, as the games intensity and challenge increase, the performance decreases in an almost linear fashion. The more frustrating a sequence, the more likely it is to run slowly. Basically the frame-rate fails me when I need it the most.

Combining the severe punishment from getting hit, the steep learning curve, bad frame-rate, and the input methods makes for a frustrating game. It's a difficult game that I don't have fun learning. Games like Viewtiful Joe, Bayonetta, and the like are a cake walk compared to Wonderful 101 but when they were challenging I wanted to keep playing and overcome the challenge. That's not the case with W101.

I'm jealous of those that managed to enjoy it, though, as there are so many wonderful aspects to the game that I wish I could enjoy.

I agree with just about all of this

The flow of 101 kind of combines the "prep" time in joe(dodgine enemies to stun and hitting them with light hits before finishing them off with VFX) with the combat/damage dealing to where you're doing both simultaneously and I like that alot.

I just don't really like the drawing mechanic and feel the combat is too rigid compared to other Kamiya games. (Joe, Bayo, DMC etc)

sfried

Aren't there tech rolls in W101 though? I could swear there was an Ukemi technique borrowed somewhere in there.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Aren't there tech rolls in W101 though? I could swear there was an Ukemi technique borrowed somewhere in there.

There is but it doesn't protect your squad, so you still have to pick up your dudes after you get hit IIRC

roknin

Well, plenty of replies already kind of reflect how I feel about things, but having completed my first playthrough on Normal for my channel recently, I kinda' feel compelled to reply. I'll just pick out the points that stood out to me rather than go verbatim, becaue this tiny BT keyboard is killing my hands... hopefully doesn't sound too scatter-brained as I'm typing this on my iPad (laptop is currently on life support lol).

Anyways... I'm not a fan of the drive-by "git gud" posts... but, that said a lot of what you mention in the topic post Griss, does sound more like not really having a grasp at the basics. I say that as someone who, at first, thought the game was not completely living up to what I wanted to be in the first few chapters, and didn't understand how the game worked but for some reason decided that "hey I'm good enough to play this game on Normal first try, blind, on my channel!"

Thankfully I did have help from a couple people that were watching the vids, and once a few things got pointed out to me, it really started to click.

I'll say off the bat that I absolutely abhored most of the tablet+main screen sections, even with a controllable camera. At times they just felt very unintuitive and the camera seems to fight the tilt controls pretty often. Thank gawd there's a manual camera option.

Also, i do think the game could have done a much better job with tutorials of some sort. There's a lot that without doing extensive testing, you're just not going to get or even know.

That said? The game's punishment system is perfect for that.

A couple of things I realized as I played through the game:

- It really isnt punishing at all, outside of trying to get the better scores. At worst, dying on a boss simply brings you back at full health while the boss retains all its damage. In that sense, you have to train yourself to take more chances and try new approaches when something seems to just not be working.

- Dodging is actually not always the best thing to do. For a long time during my playthrough I tried to dodge EVERYTHING... in reality that makes fights take way longer han they should. What's better is learning to repel each enemies attacks, with what and why. And thus, why I think "Game Over" is so "soft" in this game.

To your point about genre-switching: I'm just going to have to flat-out disagree there. I found it to be rather brilliant, and it never got to a point where it felt like Kamiya and his team were trying to bait-and-switch the gameplay, but rather make the boss fights and certain sections feel as unique as possible. Very few of the big bosses feel the same as others (only two gameplay types repeats that I can think of amongst the big bads), and at least for me personally, at the end of the more unique ones I found myself hoping I'd get another dose of that gameplay.

To the point of recharging/battery usage: this is actually a pretty basic thing that you have to understand early on, and is almost completely mitigated by the charge item you can buy. If I recall correctly, during my playthrough it was one of the first things I bought with a credit card once I made one (due to a suggestion from the commentors on the vids).Initially I wasn't even taking advantage of it, but later on, I finally realized how... broken it is, lol. Seriously, once you get the Liner-charge ability, you not only rarely ever are in a position where you can't get battery back quickly.

Hell, some enemies will actually die really quickly when you use Attack Liner combined with... well, another ability. I'm pretty sure you have it if you're on 005 but I won't risk spoiling it.

Even without that though, as has been mentioned its really just resource management.

I won't lie though, as someone who spams items too much I do find myself frustrated quickly when I'm out of battery, lol.

To the point of being knocked out of drawing: If you're drawing with the tablet/pen... don't lol. Use the analog stick. Takes some practice but is MUCH better, much more intuitive, and tbh I almost don't know why tablet drawing was even included - analog works that well. Also, get the Speed Liner and Attack Liner buffs as soon as possible...

To the point of stuff being locked away: This is probably just me coming from an old-school mindset but... I seriosuly see nothing wrong with this, especially since the most important abilities are pretty much purchaseable after the Prologue (and if you're short on money to get therm, you can just play it again to get 'em). Guts IMO is necessary right off the bat, follwoed by Spring, then Attack Liner, then uh...whatever that block is that allows you to use the Wonder-Liner to build battery and HP lol.

* I'm too lazy to go look it up at the moment :p

To the point of having teammates knocked away: There's too many ways to get them back without having to go through the cycle you're going through. If you don't have the space available to run and get them back or draw a wonder line to streatch lng enough to reach them all... just wait a few seconds and they'll all recover anyways. Its been mentioned before but that goes back into team management and resource management. There were times later (once I understood things better) where if I got hit and everyone got scatered, and I couldn't get them all back but needed to defend myself, I'd grab just enough of my teammates nearby to do a Guts (block) or Spring (dodge) to keep from getting hit again, and just avoid combat until the rest of my numbers were ready (or I had space to pick them up).

I did run into situations where I felt like I had no chance to get out of being hit over and over, but as I played through and learned I realized that most of the time I was being impatient. I'm looking forward to picking the game up again after my "break" and really improving some of those scores since I understand where some of my fuck-ups were.

To the idea of "aint nobody got time fo dat": ...that's a fair point, definitely understsand able if you feel you dn't have time to be bothered to play the game through more than once or think of the first playthrough as a tutorial. And its perfectly fine if you don't find the game unenjoyable for you. But more of a time commitment is kinda' what the game demands to really get to the meat of it and understand it. In that sense, it is hit or miss.

If you're willing enough to go through more of it to try to reach the end, that sounds noble and all, but to me that means you're getting SOME sense of enjoyment out of it. If you're not? Well, personally if I'm not enjoying myself enough or the game/book/movie/etc. isn't compelling enough for me to keep at it for any other reason than time constraints, then there's little reason to force myself through it.

Hopefully it pays off for you.

I will say the endgame is literally one of the best / craziest I've seen in probably decades, but of course, YMMV.

For me, sticking with it despite my early frustrations (and I ran into a pretty bad glitch during my run that soft-locked the game!), paid off a ton, and its a game that I will definitely be going back to just to improve my scores and tackle more challenges long past the end credits.

Jintor

I will say it does feel like it has a lot less draw-me-back-to-it-appeal than Bayo mainly because of minor issues like the irregular visibility of main characters, the plethora of fucking minigames, the occasional non-responsiveness of controls and the like becoming steadily more irritating over repeated playthroughs.

Neff

The game, like most Platinum games is about mastering audio and visual cues. You have to learn to relax and not panic. Do not button mash. Take your time and practice rather than just trying to get through the levels and you will soon realise how great the game is. Go back to one of the earlier levels and see how much fun you can have just messing around defeating enemies flawlessly, then move on from there.

This is a great point. Thoughtless button mashing leads to no batteries, which leaves you temporarily defenseless/offenseless.

Audio telegraphs are crucial, probably more important than visual cues, since the screen can get very busy, and foes can often be hiding in corners of the screen or obscured entirely.

The way your whole team can be knocked to the ground by a simple attack.

The entire team only gets knocked out if they're attacked while forming a single, full-team morph, ie a max-sized weapon, or the drill spring, etc. And as has been mentioned many times, any KO'd Wonderfuls will automatically wake up and regroup if don't have time to get them on their feet yourself. It's a definite penalty, but a fair one.

Ultimately, W101 is a game of assured, economical decision-making, a double-edge sword of highly-polarised risk/reward. When you play it badly, it wrecks you and kicks you when you're down. When you play it competently, it's (mostly) a breeze. And I'm a guy who finds games like DMC and Bayonetta on anything higher than normal extremely intimidating.

There really isn't any game quite like it in this respect.

ubiblu

Okami is without question my favourite game of all-time. W101, in contrast, looks the part but just isn't fun to play. I hate the controls and drawing / circling mechanic, and it frustrates me to tears. Call me a bad, I don't really care. The game just isn't for me. Sorry based Kamiya, you may block me from existence as I have no intention to play further.

Marceles

I really hate this rationale as it mostly seems reductive but...yeah OP, most of your complaints feel like they would be solved by sitting closer to the screen.

Honestly, your entire article makes it seem like you just haven't gotten used to the combat options. I'm just gonna link to you Saur's tutorial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdHbPXNJvVE

This game's learning curve is step, but it is, by no means, insurmountable.

Was going to link this too, this single handedly sold me on the game

Cikay

The core-system is great once understood. But like some others I think there is still too many poorly explained (and sometimes poorly playable) mini-game sections that frustrates me. Come on Kamiya, why should you lower my ranking because I failed at one of this special segments, when I was not hit once in normal battles ?

Monocle

The entire team only gets knocked out if they're attacked while forming a single, full-team morph, ie a max-sized weapon, or the drill spring, etc. And as has been mentioned many times, any KO'd Wonderfuls will automatically wake up and regroup if don't have time to get them on their feet yourself. It's a definite penalty, but a fair one.

Ultimately, W101 is a game of assured, economical decision-making, a double-edge sword of highly-polarised risk/reward. When you play it badly, it wrecks you and kicks you when you're down. When you play it competently, it's (mostly) a breeze. And I'm a guy who finds games like DMC and Bayonetta on anything higher than normal extremely intimidating. 

There really isn't any game quite like it in this respect.
The way your team is knocked out by attacks is unnecessarily punishing for a game full of conventional mechanics in distinctly unconventional packages, where a great deal of trial and error is needed just to reach the level of basic proficiency that experienced action gamers can enjoy right away in Bayonetta or practically any other decent character action title. That's part of what I meant when I said the game was dragged down by frustrating design choices. It's true: TW101 could be every bit as unique and inventive without slapping down players for making mistakes as harshly as it does. What if your fallen team members revived themselves more quickly? What if enemy attacks broke your unite morphs without scattering your team across the battlefield? What would have been the downside to allowing struggling players (i.e. everyone, at first) to have a more enjoyable learning process? 

I remember a blog entry on Platinum's site about Bayonetta 1. The enemy AI designer (or someone with a similar role) discussed the finer points of keeping players engaged during challenging combat. Too easy and the player won't feel threatened; too difficult and the player will get frustrated. This sensitivity to the player's experience is absent in TW101. It is brutal and relentless. Players are funneled through a chaotic gauntlet of escalating challenges with no opportunity to get their bearings except by replaying earlier missions. This isn't a fundamental design flaw, it's a balance issue. One that would have been simple enough to correct by tweaking a few gameplay mechanics.

Why not let players dodge even with an empty battery meter, but not use Unite Guts unless there's enough charge? Why not allow unlimited use of the Wonder Liner to retrieve items and knocked out team members, and to queue up unite morphs, but require charge to actually confirm a new morph? TW101's battery meter could work much like Bayonetta's magic meter, where charge allows you to perform additional or powered up moves while your basic move set and most recent morph remain available at all times. Wouldn't the game be better with this and other small changes to improve combat flow and general accessibility? To me the answer is obvious.

(BTW, there's no good reason why the genre switching sequences and challenge rooms shouldn't be separately or more leniently ranked, or not ranked at all. None. To tie unlockables to such tedious busywork is offensive to anyone who values their time. Bayonetta got it right by allowing players to purchase unlockables by inputting codes at the telephones in level 2.)

NotLiquid

The way your team is knocked out by attacks is unnecessarily punishing for a game full of conventional mechanics in distinctly unconventional packages, where a great deal of trial and error is needed just to reach the level of basic proficiency that experienced action gamers can enjoy right away in Bayonetta or practically any other decent character action title. That's part of what I meant when I said the game was dragged down by frustrating design choices. It's true: TW101 could be every bit as unique and inventive without slapping down players for making mistakes as harshly as it does. What if your fallen team members revived themselves more quickly? What if enemy attacks broke your unite morphs without scattering your team across the battlefield? What would have been the downside to allowing struggling players (i.e. everyone, at first) to have a more enjoyable learning process?

I remember a blog entry on Platinum's site about Bayonetta 1. The enemy AI designer (or someone with a similar role) discussed the finer points of keeping players engaged during challenging combat. Too easy and the player won't feel threatened; too difficult and the player will get frustrated. This sensitivity to the player's experience is absent in TW101. It is brutal and relentless. Players are funneled through a chaotic gauntlet of escalating challenges with no opportunity to get their bearings except by replaying earlier missions. This isn't a fundamental design flaw, it's a balance issue. One that would have been simple enough to correct by tweaking a few gameplay mechanics.

Why not let players dodge even with an empty battery meter, but not use Unite Guts unless there's enough charge? Why not allow unlimited use of the Wonder Liner to retrieve items and knocked out team members, and to queue up unite morphs, but require charge to actually confirm a new morph? TW101's battery meter could work much like Bayonetta's magic meter, where charge allows you to perform additional or powered up moves while your basic move set and most recent morph remain available at all times. Wouldn't the game be better with this and other small changes to improve combat flow and general accessibility? To me the answer is obvious.

I really have to point this out; treating TW101's battery meter like Bayonetta's magic meter is flawed because that's not the purpose it serves. TW101 has more in common with Viewtiful Joe's VFX gauge, so no, it's not unconventional.

In that game, you could only don your super hero suit as long as there was juice in your bar. This allowed you to do literally all the basic moves - slowing down time, zoom, speed up, double jump and everything that combos. Using any of the effects that are key to combat and not just special finishers like Bayonetta uses up that bar. If you exhausted the bar you would revert back into regular old Joe where you can only wail some cheap punches, can't double jump or use any of the effects that are crucial to beating the game. It takes at least five seconds of in-game combat time to recharge one stock and turn back into your Viewtiful state unless you buy the VFX Super Charger which is a borderline necessity in higher difficulties where you can die in three hits.

And yes, that game did punish you extremely if you screwed up. Most notably if you used your slow ability, which is the ability you use the most during the game since it powers up all your attacks and lets you perform combo launchers, you would use up about a third of your entire max gauge if you get hit while using it. Much like TW101 the game severely cripples you and it can be your undoing depending on the difficulty you play on. Hell compared to VJ, TW101 has the decency to have a tempo discernible enough to make enemy patterns more readily obvious. It gives you enough leeway to take a breather and rethink your strategy.

The more people you use that encompass your morphs the higher risk/reward is involved in utilizing your moves. The magic meter in Bayonetta is just an extension to combat while TW101 and VJ treats it as one of the core elements. It plays into the whole super hero motif the games have about knowing your limits.

Dryk

Did you try using the zoom buttons OP? Also if you're having problems running out of power buy the Attack Liner, or the faster recharge.

Get better.
Watch Saur & Chip Cheezum
Get better.

Seriously, this game is amazing. But you have to learn it to understand.
I started watching Chip Cheezum's LP after I beat the game, and I'm learning that I missed basic and effective strategies against almost every enemy in the game.

I actually agree with Griss. Hear me out first ... to me a game has to have control for me to consider it good. Wonderful 101 really has no control scheme that feels natural. If you can get past that fact, then I can see why people like the game. I enjoyed watching it on Youtube myself. However, I can never call it a good game because I do not enjoy playing it.

Mesoian

He really does need to stop with the mini games.

He needs to stop with the Shump minigames. W101 sort of gets away with it by making unite morphs idiot strong during those sequences, but those sorts of minigames seem like a slog in most platinum games.

That being said, that punchout minigame was tits. I'm all for changing things up to keep from monotony setting in, but maybe look to other sources of inspiration for those little moments.

roknin

Huh... Maybe I wasn't bothered by the SHMUP sections because I'm a huge fan of the genre. Especially some of the latter ones, they out a big grin on my face personally.

Sephzilla

Not sure if I really agree with the OP much but in general W101 didn't click with me the same way Vanquish/Bayonetta/MGR did. It's probably my least favorite Platinum title (which isn't to say its bad).

Foggy

Yeah, maybe in 5 years or so I'll be able to play this one :(

It's weird how this and Bayonetta have the same issue of just filling the screen with so many visuals. I really really really love all the character/creature/location designs of Bayonetta, but I never get to actually appreciate it as I play since it's just visual overload the entire time.

Not my favourite Platinum game (better than Madworld through). Drawing became a chore and the mini games, ugh. Damn, just make them more fun or scrap them, please.

Felt it overstayed it's welcome, too.

Saying that, I don't mind seeing a sequel or a cartoon series (like VJ). Just ease up Blue and Pink... they basically rinsed their act 8 hours in.

tassletine

There maybe a correlation between those who like to draw, and can draw well, and those who can't and therefore have difficulty with this game. This might well be an overlooked flaw in the design of the game as all Japanese can draw well, given that the way they write requires much more skill than a simple western alphabet.

For the record, I can draw well, and had no problems learning this game at all. This is the only explanation I can think of as I find some of the comments about the game being hard baffling.
I found each area to be much like a puzzle game, which once solved was easy to get through. I can imagine if you hadn't learned the core move set and were just hammering away through attrition rather than skill then you would get the reactions we're reading.

Sami+

I felt the same way about it after playing for about two hours or so. I hated the art style and dialogue too so there was nothing conflicting about it at all other than the heaps of praise the game gets here.

Guess I was expecting something more like Viewtiful Joe or something, which I loved. Oh well.

My biggest problem with W101 is the ugly animations (or, to be more precise - the complete absence of them) of your unit. For a game about squad of superheroes, the lack of animations of these tiny guys is really weird.
Glorious battles aside, this game seems to be rushed and rather poor production quality (even for Platinum standards).

Mesoian

My biggest problem with W101 is the ugly animations (or, to be more precise - the complete absence of them) of your unit. For a game about squad of superheroes, the lack of animations of these tiny guys is really weird.
Glorious battles aside, this game seems to be rushed and rather poor production quality (even for Platinum standards).

...I don't even know how to respond to this. Why would you expect characters that are so small that you can barely see what animations that they already have to have MORE animations? If you were making an argument about how samey some of the models can be, especially with non-official w101 members, I'd be there with you. But why would you expect 100 tiny models to have a bayonetta level of animation, especially when large type enemies DO have bayonetta level animations?

Top Bottom