• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: TLOUR

RPS37

Since The Last of Us Part 2 releases in May, I decided I should try to finish the first one.
Holy crap. I’m like 2 hours in and I’m already getting frustrated.
I’m at a part early on. A dark building with clickers and zombies. I stealth kill a few clickers with shivs then get insta killed by the last clicker or a zombie runs up on me and my shits don’t kill them.
Should I just drop it and go try to finish: Horizon, SOTC, Hellblade, Death Stranding, or Bloodborne instead?

RPS37

It’s just..I hear this game is amazing and I want to play the sequel, but shit is just sucking all fun out. Funny thing is, I’ve played through a lot of this game on PS3 already and I don’t remember it being this frustrating. Apparently my friend quit at the same point.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Since The Last of Us Part 2 releases in May, I decided I should try to finish the first one.
I’m at a part early on. A dark building with clickers and zombies. I stealth kill a few clickers with shivs then get insta killed by the last clicker or a zombie runs up on me and my shits don’t kill them.
Should I just drop it and go try to finish: Horizon, SOTC, Hellblade, Death Stranding, or Bloodborne instead?
Lower the difficulty

Humdinger

Yeah, I remember trying to survive on normal difficulty. It was tough in the beginning. I got used to it later, but I don't see any shame in downgrading to easy difficulty or whatever.

Dark Star

I played TLOUR on grounded difficulty and I had a pretty tough time on some sections, but it's definitely a very doable game to complete if you ration your ammo and learn to stealth around. I think it's easily one of the best single player stories in the AAA game category, so yeah, at least finish it on normal.

Bloodborne is fair. TLOU and ND games in general are just like all other similar games with pointless shooting/combat mechanics, its not difficult its just annoying and really its the story or puzzle aspect most play for id wager.

While I like the the original and some of the remakes of the OG Tomb Raider, never has combat been a draw for me once the novelty of chick with akimbo pistolas wore off.

If youre not in it for the story, drop it or watch it on YT and move over to BB. Its got great lore, art style and atmosphere and combat is deep and actually functional.

Last edited:
Keep going, you will eventually get through it, maybe a few days away playing other games will help, but dont give up completely, i always use a brick/bottle as a lure and when there all together Molotov those bastards.

RPS37

I lowered the difficultly and added aim assist, got through the part I was stuck on then ran into another clicker section. Shit it off. Will be back at it tomorrow probably.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If you cant handle TLOU difficulty then Bloodborne is gonna beat the crap out of you haha. Dont mean that as an insult. Its just that much of the game involves increasingly difficult stealth.

Go for Horizon or Hellblade.
It's a totally different game. Bloodborne let's you approach as You want.
TLOU MAKES You approach as it wants

J3nga

I know that part you're talking about, don't try to kill them, your best should is stealth, maybe throw few bottles/bricks to lure clickers away. You're still early on and don't have enough resources/upgrades to take out such a large group of infected, I think creators idea on that part was that players chose stealthy approach.

RPS37

I played a little further today and I’m starting to really dig it (??)
Thank you to the people who suggested I just drop down the difficulty.
It’s a surprise, since I just made a thread bragging about playing Doom 2016 on Easy.

The Alien

Banned
To each his own, I suppose.

I loved TLOU. Not all of it was a breeze or crazy original but I loved the game. Great story...good mix of arrows and gun play. The included DLC is really solid too.

I cant recommend HZD to you after about 6-8 hours of it. Loved the intro/story, but couldnt get past the fact that I played the shit out of every game HZD steals from (Assassins Creed, Arkham, etc.). I had no energy to continue. People love the game...that's cool. Not my bag, baby!

Doom85

I personally prefer using molotovs on clickers. Throw a brick/bottle to get them to gather and hit at least two of them with a molotov. Shivs I prefer saving for when, well, a clicker does grab me to avoid the insta-kill. Also, nothing worse than finding a secret room and not being able to get into it if you use up all your shivs and don't have materials to make more.

Also, on a related note:

1u61W1d.jpg

I mean, I'm not complaining, the allies' AI giving away your location would be massive bullshit, but it is funny to see Ellie and others make clearly enough noise that logically it should attract clickers or be noticed by human enemies.

Matsuchezz

Yep, just do that.

And if the gameplay eventually "clicks" with you, then try harder difficulties, the survivor mode is really fun if you enjoy the gameplay.

I do not remember the survivor difficulty, I thought grounded was the highest difficulty setting, which is a blast.

Aion002

I do not remember the survivor difficulty, I thought grounded was the highest difficulty setting, which is a blast.
I think grounded is only unlocked after finishing the game once on Survivor or something... At least on pS3 at launch was like that.

I almost have up on the game in that very same zone.

I ended switching to easy because I play for story/atmosphere. I promise it makes the game 10x more enjoyable. So if you haven't yet, just play it on easy. It still provides a decent challenge.

RPS37

I almost have up on the game in that very same zone.

I ended switching to easy because I play for story/atmosphere. I promise it makes the game 10x more enjoyable. So if you haven't yet, just play it on easy. It still provides a decent challenge.
Best advice. I dropped the difficulty down, now I’ve met up with bill and I’ve got hella supplies and feeling way more capable to kick ass.

Last edited:

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
The style of TLOU is somehow like MGS imo ..

Stealth + knowing what is stealth = smooth gameplay

Bloodborne ! ..

my son , there are no clickers there and no zombies BUT there are fucked up creatures that will fuck your life in ways you cannot imagine .. you will miss clickers for real no no you will love clickers after playing Bloodborne

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Bloodborne is fair.
This is one thing that can't be overlooked. I've never felt like a Souls game or Bloodborne was being cheap, cheaty, shitty, or unfair. You die a lot, but you feel like you earned those deaths and that it's you as the player that needs to do better.

I never got stuck anywhere in The Last of Us for any long period of time, but I also played it in a very methodical way. There were definitely a few places I recall that I could see a player feeling like they hit a wall for no reason. The Last of Us isn't a masterpiece of game, level, or scenario design. If you don't have the mechanics down or don't want to play just how the devs want you to, there are a few sections that could feel very, very shitty.

I played it originally back when released on PS3 and I played with listen mode on and on normal mode, and while I enjoyed it very much, it wasn't much of a challenge imo.

I'm currently replaying it, and I bumped up the difficulty to hard and turned off listen mode, and I think it's better for it. I'm in currently in Pittsburgh and I'm having to leave ammo behind because I'm loaded. I may try a harder difficulty whenever I get around to playing it again.

Use your bricks/bottles for distractions leading to silent takedowns and your molotovs and other explosives for crowd control and you'll be drowning in ammo. And of course you still have your melee weapons.

RPS37

So I’m about 8 hours in and I’m loving it.
I’m sneaking around stealth killing dudes with my bow, upgrading all of my weapons so they’re bad ass, always having enough med kits if shit gets hairy...
It’s effin dope.

RPS37

I finished it last week. Absolutely loved it, eventually. It ended kind of abruptly though. I had one weapon for like less than an hour and then it was over. Jumped right in to the Left Behind DLC and finished it right after.
I also replayed all of the Nathan Drake Collection at the same time. That was pretty good too.
Ready to pre-load Part 2.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You're thinking that Last of Us is hard?

I guess that of those games that you may have, only Death Stranding will be for you

Yoboman

Is that this section?

images

If so, that area has a pretty big difficulty spike. Once you're past it you should be fine

Save your shivs for clickers only

Is that this section?

images

If so, that area has a pretty big difficulty spike. Once you're past it you should be fine

Save your shivs for clickers only

I've beaten TLOU probably 5 times and this part still catches me out. It is a pretty difficult section since there is almost no chance to load up on supplies to just brute force your way through it

dorkimoe

I bought the first one when it first came out. Played like 10 minutes then literally put it off until this year and the remaster. Easily one of the most fun games I have ever played. Cant WAIT for the second.

Top Bottom