• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Tomb Raider 2013 and why I like it better than Uncharted 4

The Lamp

Mild SPOILERS for halfway 2013 TR and some chapters for U4.

After having just finished Uncharted 4 about a month ago and being satisfied with the story but disappointed with the gameplay, I am playing through Tomb Raider 2013 now for the first time on my PS4. I just passed what felt like was the ending but apparently I'm only halfway through, so that was actually kind of shocking. However, I think I've seen enough to make my points here to draw some comparisons.

First of all, you can't convince me that it's unfair to compare Tomb Raider and Uncharted series. They have been inspired by each other for years. They take cues from each other, with TR lifting-and-adapting Uncharted 2's collapsing building setpieces to Uncharted 4 straight-up copying the piton and rope from TR2013. Same genre, same concept (adventurer for treasure), similar gameplay mechanics. I can compare a lot of the similar things about them about as logically as someone can compare whether they like Whataburger or In-N-Out better or one presidential candidate versus the other.

Background
Now, to start things off, I have always been a huge fan of the Uncharted series. U2 was one of my favorite games of all time. The amazing script with witty, colorful characters carried by breakneck paced gameplay and a thrilling sense of fast-paced adventure enchanted me.

I totally skipped the Tomb Raider reboot series because I was a busy student at the time and I just didn't care that much. I also heard lukewarm reception to its story, and I thought, clearly, the gameplay wouldn't be so much better that it would be worth playing instead of an Uncharted game.

Reflecting on Uncharted 4
I played Uncharted 4 this month. While I still love the characters and the universe it has built for itself, I was disappointed with the game and I thirsted for some alternatives in the genre. It had the best combat system in the series and yet there were chapters where you didn't use it at all. There were chapters where the combat encounters for a given environment only lasted seconds, and things only really ramped up at the ending hours, only for the story to end.

In the end, many would suggest that U4 was intentionally focused around a foundation of exploration and light traversal/puzzles, while the action gameplay (for the sake of this post, I define action gameplay as the moments where there is combat, set-piece action, or conflict of some kind) was sprinkled in between and at the beginning/end, unlike previous iterations that focused proportionally more on action. The main problem with this was that decreasing the proportion of action segments only to saturate the game with traversal really highlighted the series' flaws. The copious amounts of light traversal/puzzles/climbing were never satisfying. It felt extremely simplistic, low-quality, and shallow.

U4 Exploration Flaws
Madagascar's open field level was a sandbox-type level, except there are no NPCs to find, no meaningful items to scavenge (just trinkets for after you beat the game), no large-scale puzzles to trigger or unlock, etc. At the end there's the option to find some enemies, but that's not much content for so much level to look at. In fact, a lot of the level lures you into getting out of your jeep to explore what's behind a boulder or atop a cliff, only to find nothing and feeling like you wasted your time. The worst example is the archipelago. I am fucking around on these islands looking for the next path to follow, some of these areas having nothing to find. There were fleeting moments where your curiosity is rewarded, like finding the sunken ship in the archipelago, but you are rewarded with a trinket that has no effect on the game. The treasures are so well-hidden that it is not often you are rewarded with one for your efforts of exploring the stray path. And even when you are, who cares? You found an ancient coin? Yawn. The lonely exploration gameplay doesn't have you navigating carefully designed levels for useful items ala Zelda or Dark Souls. In summary, the exploration in this game is not well rewarded with anything tangible. If you are the kind of person who could get lost for days in a pretty level that has absolutely NOTHING, I think you're insane and boring, but to each his own, I can't. I need a meaningful and interactive reward mechanism for exploration.

U4 Climbing/Traversal Flaws
The mechanics are mostly the same as they have always been: mediocre. Except now it's such a main part of what you will be doing between Chapter 11-20 that you really get a lot of time to experience how rudimentary it all is. You flail up the side of a mountain within seconds thanks to a conveniently designed, painfully obvious path where your fingers magnetize to the ledges. It's simple, it's automatic, it gets the job done. But it is certainly not engaging or clever to the extent that it should be a large portion of the gameplay. It functions best as a "palate cleanser" in between action meals, as one GAFer put it. The best new mechanic was the rope, and yet it still feels underutilized, and we have an entire thread on the dissonance of this mechanic in the first place. It comes in handy at convenient moments, and is blissfully ignored at others where it could come in handy. And it's rarely used for any sort of clever puzzles (although I admit, when it is, it feels great). Finally, the piton is pitiful. It doesn't empower Drake in any admirable way. It's an extra button press in the climbing process. Nate can't climb any higher ground using the piton, he already knows how to super human leap. The piton just forces the last part of the game to use a lot of scaly terrain to justify the mechanic, which is just lazy game design. In summary, the traversal mechanics are weak and underutilized.

U4 Puzzle Flaws
U4 had moments of enjoyment with puzzles, but they're far too rare. You either have the very rare complex puzzles in a dungeon/treasure room that take several minutes, or the hilariously unimaginative ones like the crate on wheels.

Moving on to Tomb Raider...

After considering the major flaws of U4's focus on passive gameplay ideas, I was incredibly let down with the game and thought to myself, well, what would I have liked to see instead? I hadn't found a game that incorporated what I thought would have been better traversal/puzzles/climbing. I picked up Tomb Raider on a whim and I am floored at how many things it got so right in game design in comparison to Uncharted 4. It's almost embarrassing that Naughty Dog is praised so highly in this genre, and in their latest outing they didn't improve upon great gameplay concepts TR introduced back in 2013. Allow me to elaborate.

Tomb Raider doesn't have the amazing characters and script and graphics of Uncharted, and the combat isn't perfect, of course. In fact, the story is so bad at making me care about its characters, I can't remember caring or remembering how was on-screen except for Lara. Apparently Roth is super close to her but I don't even remember why. It's all so pitifully executed that I just don't even care. And yeah, the guns sound like pea shooters and the animations are meh and it's all kind of janky/arcadey in combat. But that is okay. What is really really surprising me about Tomb Raider are some of its game mechanics that in some ways are miles ahead of what Uncharted 4 tried. I'm actually having fun climbing around, looking underneath waterfalls and inside caves, etc. These are the main reasons why:

The environmental puzzles and ordinary exploration gameplay shit on Uncharted 4 from a great height
7YcZ1eG.gif

You know what was amazing for me? How layered the game design is here. It's not one-trick pony. The items, the traversal, Lara's abilities, the environment, it's all layered and peels back as you progress. This gave it a really satisfying feel in comparison to U4. I'll try to explain what I mean.

The puzzle levels and environments have many concepts, tools, and mechanics going on at once. Within the first few minutes of Tomb Raider, I was solving a puzzle (the crate, water, and fire puzzle) that actually had me use game mechanics + cleverness + the environment to progress. You see, those are my favorite kinds of puzzles. And they do exist in U4 (like when you use the water current to access a wall or the rope and widget mechanics) but they were very rare in a typical chapter. In this game, this kind of puzzle-solving happened within minutes, and they are plentiful within the game. They develop in complexity over time and they incorporate NEW GAME ITEMS to complete! Lara is constantly getting stronger and more geared in a logical and satisfying way. It's all layered. When I unlocked rope for my bow and arrow, I suddenly thought "oh my god, all those rope structures I saw in previous levels can be manipulated with this new game mechanic!" Let me tell you that I audibly said "whoa" whenever I was trying to get some gear down from a tree, and I used my rope bow to pull a lantern structure I lit with my torch, which then burned the net the gear was trapped in so I could get it. It felt like a Zelda moment. The rope arrows, like the other items, tend to expand in their use as you progress. Suddenly, I started using rope arrows to create paths between large chasms in a mountain range! One of the coolest moments was when I had to escape the building by using a giant bell to break through the ground. I used my rope to pull window blinds open to adjust wind and knock the bell to the floor. These kinds of puzzles incorporate the USEFUL game items you are constantly improving and upgrading, like the fire arrows. So unlike the piton in Uncharted 4, which was seems to arbitrarily exist, gear like the torch, firestarter, grenade launcher, rope arrows, etc. all have uses not just in combat, but in the environment, traversal and puzzles. It all leads to a richer, more involved player experience in navigating the environment that just runs circles around U4's traversal. are commonplace in TR, and it makes the moments where I am NOT beating the shit out of people with an axe still engaging. Game design like this makes Tomb Raider 2013's pacing significantly and consistently better than Uncharted 4's lulling early-to-mid chapters.

The optional tombs are fantastic game design. Why? They reward the player for exploring, but not with useless trinkets, but with clever gameplay and USEFUL items and trinkets. Some of the best third-person adventure puzzles outside of Zelda/Dark Souls/Darksiders are in these optional tombs, and they don't break the pacing because they're engaging and completely optional. Reaching the first tomb, I immediately saw Tomb Raider's better approach to open design than Uncharted 4. Whereas U4 has a couple of huge open levels with pockets of arbitrary space occasionally littered by sparkling trinkets, TR follows a mostly linear level design, but presents you with meaningful choices. Do you go left to catch up with the NPC or do you go right to explore an amazing tomb of secrets? Do you go up the cliff to the useful item or down the short path? U4 had moments like this, but the diverted path only sometimes led you to a small cave with a note or useless artifact, not entire optional puzzle rooms or items that changed the gameplay. Furthermore, the levels designed in Tomb Raider have multiple layers of access. Once I unlocked the firestarter for my torch, I realized I could go back to an earlier campsite to explore a cave behind a waterfall. Once I got the shotgun, I realized I could go back to the first tomb and break down the reinforced wall at the end of the tomb. Once I found the rope arrows, I could cross unclimbable gaps I couldn't before. Once I unlocked the piton, I could climb scaly walls that were earlier in the game that I hadn't accessed before. And unlike U4, Lara can't superhuman leap up conveniently colored bricks on the wall, so the piton actually opens up traversal for her. I was really annoyed in U4 how many obstacles couldn't be climbed or passed even though I had the tools and superhuman strength to do so. I remember finding walls I couldn't scale even though I had just performed superhuman leaps moments before. The opposite seems true in TR. The level design opens up as you gain more strength and abilities. I appreciate Tomb Raider's layered exploration, using tools and gameplay mechanics that build and make sense. Despite being very linear, the level design is all very organic and multi-layered in its traversal and item mechanics, which feels incredibly satisfying in comparison to U4, where they probably spent weeks modeling the artifacts in an empty house I will walk through and never return to.

Final Thoughts
A lot of people defend the long stretches of exploration gameplay in U4 like its good or well-designed just because it helps make the rare action moments more meaningful. I am really tired of hearing unconvincing justifications for this slow, empty gameplay when there is just such a better example of how to do non-combat exploration but making it meaty and engaging. The shallowness of U4 in this aspect is really obvious when you compare it to Tomb Raider's level design and tombs. The combination of climbing and weapons and environmental changes in these puzzles and traversal shame Uncharted 4's barebones exploration gameplay that has almost nothing to unlock or reveal.

The moment-to-moment gameplay here is much more consistently engaging. Like I said, yes, the story is nothing to praise. I'm not being fed particularly interesting characters, but it's serviceable, and the motivation for Lara to survive the island and increase her skills as a survivor is functional enough. The moments where Lara is alone or not fighting are never boring. There is always something to discover about the environment. Sure, it's not as gorgeous as U4 and the art design is not as consistently amazing as U4, but the team did a good enough job at making a pretty Japanese island with reason to look around. So far, not once have I felt like I was being dragged through exploring my environments. It doesn't hurt that in this game, like The Last of Us, I'm actually collecting stuff that impacts the gameplay, unlike the lack of incentives to look around in Uncharted 4.

I will never forget U4's story and that it was fun for a playthrough. But the story does not make up for its mediocre pacing and shallow level design and exploration gameplay being the pillar of its game design. Meanwhile, yes, TR also has some glaring flaws, but my personal tastes don't mind the story being atrocious (as most game stories are) or the combat being a little rough and arcadey when the overall moment-to-moment gameplay makes me feel like a real adventurer with developing skills and meaningful tombs to explore. In some ways, Tomb Raider does classic adventure gameplay that the Uncharted series has wanted to be about better than Uncharted 4 does.

I'm sure some people think I'm crazy for enjoying myself more with TR than Uncharted, especially since I grew up a fan of the latter, but the action and exploration gameplay here is so much better balanced in pacing and proportion compared to U4 that I am just loving it.

TL;DR Tomb Raider does exploration, puzzles, items, and pacing better than Uncharted 4, and U4 could learn some game design from Crystal Dynamics.

LostDonkey

Bear cub beat me but I will echo.

Wait until you play Rise, it's better in every way. Do come back and let us know what you think if you play it, it's one of my favourite games.

Wish I felt the same way. Got this for free off PS+ 2 years ago and don't remember anything about the environments. Combat was shallow too, all I remember is headshotting people with bow over and over. Oh and story and characters are just horrendously annoying.

Afraid to try out the Uncharted games now if this is supposedly better.

Youll get grilled for this opinion, but i agree. ALTHOUGH, i have only played a bit of UC1, all of UC2, and a bit of UC3. I dont think ill bother with UC4, I just cannot get into these games at all. I pushed myself to finish UC2 with my partner at the time and the experience was a HUGE chore. The stories do nothing for me (thats ok, TR does nothing for me either, story wise) but just i just dont like the characters at all, and i dislike the gameplay a LOT. I dunno why but i really enjoy fully upgrading the bow in TR and playing the game total stealth bow only. Rise of the tomb raider is also SO GREAT. Play that next, OP.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
TR 2013 is one my most enjoyed games of last gen. Can't wait to play ROTR in November

Just giving my mark on the thread. Tomb Raider Reboot was such an average game to me, mainly story and designwise but gameplay did nothing for me either.

I thought TR'13 was pretty good when I first played it. I'd say it's better than UC1 on PS3, but UC1 on PS4 is better than TR'13. UC4 shits on them both.

Ricky_R

I got bored halfway through TR 2013. Had to drag myself to finish it and I never really felt immersed in the game. Some gameplay segments were fun, but the game just felt so damn uninspired.

Uncharted 4, on the other hand, was a magnificent game in every single facet.

Kolgar

I agree that the moment-to-moment gameplay of the Tomb Raider games is more engaging than Uncharted 4, but I found the action segments of that game (that is, the firefights) to be overlong and mind-numbingly boring. Uncharted 4 did the characters, scripting, and exploration so well that I would have preferred more of those and less shoot-bang there.

Also, the makers of the original Tomb Raider had it right: This player would rather watch a pretty girl's bum on screen for 10 hours than some dude's, even if Drake is a cool guy.

Ascenion

People give me shit for this opinion, but ROTR is a better game than Uncharted 4. Not necessarily sure if I'd say 2013 is but the sequel absolutely is. ROTR is also a better sequel than Uncharted 4. It doesn't build upon the past games but put the results to use as poorly as Uncharted 4.

I think where you and I disagree is that I'm not impressed by shooting people for 10-15 hours in a game anymore. I enjoyed the moments of walking and talking with the characters and the light climbing with Joss Whedon dialogue as you puzzle out your way to the next cut scene. I think the pacing is way better than 90% of games out there. It's not just "ACTION ACTION ACTION" the whole game.

Tomb Raider was amazing though, although UC4's environments destroy TR2013's. I do agree that Tomb Raider has better incentive to explore, but I don't know if I want bs crafting in every single game, which is the slippery slope we're going towards. Maybe the trinkets could be spent between big levels (location changes) on things like upgrading a pistol that Drake always has, or customizing him to run quicker or take more damage, etc.

But I don't want to be stopping constantly to make my assault rifle do 5% more damage or hold 3 more bullets. Not every game needs that.

LordOfChaos

I thought the first half of Tomb Raider 2013 was great, but then it seemed to devolve into just throwing waves of enemies at you and generally being uncreative.

Still a great game, but far stronger first half than second.

Played ROTTR last year, everything felt exactly the same as the first one. Nothing has improved other than having a slightly better story than the first and having a crafting system. The shooting is absolutely laughable in ROTTR. But overall I enjoyed the game.

Gameplay was ok with the exception of the nonexisting tombs.

I would like the Tomb Raider Reboot much more if the character of Lara wouldnt be such garbage.

Cries all the time how "she can do this!" and killing people is such a big deal while murdering hundreds.

At least Nathan Drake doesnt make a big deal about murdering guys left and right.

I loved TR 2013, but UC4 did stuff with storytelling & character building that I didn't even know I wanted outta a videogame. I won't go into spoilers, but I want a similar 'finale' in all my character driven action games going forward.

JBwB

I have to admit that I enjoyed Tomb Raider 2013 a lot more than Rise of the Tomb Raider. I was quite let down by ROTR due to it being more of the same.

Uncharted 4 is clearly better than both though.

The Lamp

I think where you and I disagree is that I'm not impressed by shooting people for 10-15 hours in a game anymore. I enjoyed the moments of walking and talking with the characters and the light climbing with Joss Whedon dialogue as you puzzle out your way to the next cut scene. I think the pacing is way better than 90% of games out there. It's not just "ACTION ACTION ACTION" the whole game.

Tomb Raider was amazing though, although UC4's environments destroy TR2013's. I do agree that Tomb Raider has better incentive to explore, but I don't know if I want bs crafting in every single game, which is the slippery slope we're going towards. Maybe the trinkets could be spent between big levels (location changes) on things like upgrading a pistol that Drake always has, or customizing him to run quicker or take more damage, etc.

But I don't want to be stopping constantly to make my assault rifle do 5% more damage or hold 3 more bullets. Not every game needs that.

I see your point but I think Zelda is a good example of a game that incentivizes people to explore and solve puzzles without using crafting. Uncharted 4 introduced new items into the gameplay, so I was expecting better use of that idea in U4. Ultimately it didn't feel fully realized.

DukeBobby

Just wait until you play Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's even better.

I don't agree. The puzzles may be better, but the combat scenarios are worse, the pacing is completely off, and the open areas are just an excuse to cram the game with an egregious amount of collectable filler.

Lime

TrR13 and ROTR symptomize everything wrong with the AAA games industry. It's probably the most cynical product aimed for mass consumption that I've come across. Maybe the game was made by an algorithm or on some automated factory line by robots.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Don't agree at all. Tomb Raider 2013 is mediocre as fuck, but suppose everybody has her/ his own take on things. Even if they are dead wrong like the OP of this thread.

The Lamp

Gameplay was ok with the exception of the nonexisting tombs.

I would like the Tomb Raider Reboot much more if the character of Lara wouldnt be such garbage.

Cries all the time how "she can do this!" and killing people is such a big deal while murdering hundreds.

At least Nathan Drake doesnt make a big deal about murdering guys left and right.

I haven't played ROTR but honestly I haven't seen what you're talking about.

Lara freaks out the first time she kills someone to defend herself, and then freaks out again after her first few kills, and then confesses that it's easier than she thought to kill someone [to defend people she cares about]. After that, she's on an island where everyone wants her and her friends dead, so it's easy to see why she would murder people left and right and get better at it. I haven't heard her complain since.

TrR13 and ROTR symptomize everything wrong with the AAA games industry. It's probably the most cynical product aimed for mass consumption that I've come across. Maybe the game was made by an algorithm or on some automated factory line by robots.

Why do you say this?

Bold One

TR2013 was a dull drab slog, it played fine but I didnt care about anything or anyone in it,

Uncharted is more pulpy adventure story and character driven, when ND try to do more grounded semi TR stuff, we get TLOU.

TR is a designed by committee product, a compilation of every trope in action games ('borrowing' heavily from UC4, pointless rpg elements crammed and sandbox filler in for no reason.

nice opinion though.

Ninjimbo

Just wait until you play Rise of the Tomb Raider. It's even better.
Wow, a first post I agree with.

It's completely true I think. UC4 (and Naughty Dog in general) is unparalleled when it comes to storytelling, but as a game it's pretty derivative with little to no rewards to encourage exploration or doing anything else besides what the devs want you to do. It can become one note really quickly which can make it tiring.

TR2013 and RotTR do a fantastic job of mixing up mechanics and encouraging exploration. They're more fun to play just because there's more things to do.

It also helps that RotTR can stand with UC4 in the visuals department.

mkfred

Banned
i tired to play all of the Uncharted games and i just couldnt enjoy them. People call TR a copy cat, but it just feels and plays better. I cant wait to try ROTR later this year

I played the 2013 Tomb Raider and it has nothing on Uncharted. The story and production value is just no where near what Naughty Dog achieved with 2, 3 and especially 4. But it's just an opinion like yours. People like and people dislike things and there is no right answer to these things.

I enjoyed TR2013 but don't remember much from it lol.
I remember the platforming and climbing to be just as easy as Uncharted's tho.
Plus the gameplay in UC4 destroys whatever TR2013 has.

Montresor

They are two of the best games I've ever played. Are you saying this because of the move away from Tomb Raider's older traditional puzzle-oriented game play towards the more cinematic set pieces?

Uncharted and TR have similar elements but they aren't trying to do the same thing. TR reboot went with XP, open world exploration and boredom.

Uncharted was more telling a story and incredible set pieces. Even with so called "wide-linear" in UC4, exploration isn't the focal point, puzzles are or have never been important.

Overall, I vehemently disagree.

But this is pretty much exactly how i feel about Uncharted

Ascenion

Everyone mentions story/storytelling. Honestly that's the reason I think Uncharted 4 is the worse game. The story is so freaking heavy handed. It almost felt like playing a Telltale game with more control at some points and that isn't what Uncharted is, that isn't what I expected and ultimately it just wasn't fun. The story is detrimental imo.

SMattera

I played the 2013 Tomb Raider and it has nothing on Uncharted. The story and production value is just no where near what Naughty Dog achieved with 2, 3 and especially 4. But it's just an opinion like yours. People like and people dislike things and there is no right answer to these things.

I'm with you.

The core gameplay of both Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider is great, but they lack Uncharted's sense of fun.

aBarreras

Why do you say this?

TR 2013 seems to be an almagamation of all current popular games mechanics, it does what it does very well, but it not does nothing new or groundbreaking,

some people want NEW things from games, because having NEW things make games better for some reason

loved TR2013, everything that does mechanically it does very freaking well

The Lamp

Uncharted and TR have similar elements but they aren't trying to do the same thing. TR reboot went with XP, open world exploration and boredom.

Uncharted was more telling a story and incredible set pieces. Even with so called "wide-linear" in UC4, exploration isn't the focal point, puzzles are or have never been important.

Overall, I vehemently disagree.

I have seen more impressive setpieces in TR2013 than Uncharted 4 (the collapsing palace, for one), I think. Or at least on-par.

Well, how can you say exploration isn't the focal point of the non-action segments if the focus is to get from point A to B by using a large environment? Uncharted puzzles were never that important, sure, but that doesn't detract that TR does them better, more frequently, and more cleverly, so that is an overall plus.

I will certainly agree that the exploration is much stronger in TR. While I wasn't thrilled at how RotTR telegraphed "OPTIONAL CHALLENGE TOMB NEARBY", the fact that they existed at all was a big plus, and a good incentive for me to look around and try to figure out how to get in and get them done. From memory TR also has the less important treasures that you can find, am I misremembering or do they also do the Resident Evil thing where you rotate them to find something secret on a lot of the treasures for extra info? That's also a cool touch.

One thing both series need to cut the fuck out is the constant slipping and falling and things breaking on them when you grab them. It happens so often it's gotten to self-parody. Drake even has meta-complaints about it in UC4.

I really enjoyed TR13 and ROTR, especially in the gameplay department. And ROTR actually had a decent story and characters compared to the horrible one that the reboot had imo.

TR does nothing better than U4. TR doesn't have great puzzles, platforming or exploration either. It tried, but it's just as restricted as any of the Uncharted games. At the very least when you do a mindless puzzle in Uncharted it tends to look really cool.
TR2013 felt like a game that didn't ever feel comfortable in its own skin. It tried to copy a lot of stuff from other games and never committed to any of its elements, so it's overall very noncommittal and halfhearted. Its a very uncertain game.

Best thing TR2013 has is the bow. I liked using the bow. I'm also a sucker for weapon upgrading.
Sadly, TLoU has the superior bow gameplay. Weapon upgrade system is done better in that game as well.

It's very similar to something like Dante's Inferno. Tried to copy a working formula, tried to add its own flavor, but didn't outdo the source(God of War) in any single way.
It's a different lesser version. Something to play while something better comes out.

EhoaVash

i agree with the exploration aspect of Uncharted 4, shit was boring as fuck. hardly ever rewarded with anything but ohh nice graphics.

Top Bottom