• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted 4 | a.k.a why people can sometimes be really shitty

Recently got a PC rig, and I couldn't get over how the graphics for this felt like a PS3 game.
Note to people; if you like admiring graphics in your games, a high end pc will forever ruin console gaming :(

I game on a fairly high end PC (i7, GTX 970) and I still felt Uncharted 4 looked better than pretty much anything on PC. Not for overall IQ, draw distance, but in terms of animation, effects, art, lighting, overall visual design. Yeah it would look better on my PC if such a version existed but even on PS4 this tops anything I've seen as an overall package. Even Rise of the TR, which I guess is a similar game. So totally disagree with that statement.

Still don't really get why people make LTTP for games a month old, what's wrong with the OT?

And you've not even played half the game yet? It's just a LTTP for the first 4 chapters? Pretty pointless stuff.

It's literally in the first line of the OT - because the OT has been moved to the community section, I can do a LTTP which coincided with the fact I just finished my exams yesterday. The thread is dead anyway. I honestly don't see the point of complaining -- it just comes off complaining for the sake of complaining.
I'm also updating the thread as I go so the OP doesn't end up as one big essay -- which by the way, isn't as uncommon as you think for LTTP. I still managed to write a lot of points in just the first four chapters.

No offence, but I'd honestly rather you don't say anything if you have nothing good or productive to say. I could do without the thread whining.

Recently got a PC rig, and I couldn't get over how the graphics for this felt like a PS3 game.
Note to people; if you like admiring graphics in your games, a high end pc will forever ruin console gaming :(

I too play on PC primarily. You should go back and actually play a PS3 game.

During the slow parts of UC4 all I could think was how great TLOU2 is going to look. Enjoyed the game, but surprised at the recycling and overuse of gameplay mechanics. Move yet another crate? Really?

Noobcraft

Somebody should let Naughty Dog know that pushing around dumpsters/crates to get over obstacles isn't fun, and shouldn't be a gameplay mechanic.

Ok, so I have now played about a quarter way into the Scotland chapter. God damn, the gunplay is so good - easily the best part of the game. The mechanics are sublime -- swinging, sliding, run and gunning to close quarter combat is so smooth, visceral and fun. It just all feels so natural. Blowing people up and sending them flying with the dynamite is also hilarious!

I also think the story is starting to pick up. It's great to see Sully back, and the writing is good as ever, with again, a few lines making me laugh out loud. The graphics are also beautiful, especially the ball room chapter and now the Scottish mountains. Can't wait to get back to playing more!

Also, Rafe is a real asshole, but I guess that's what makes the acting great. Hate him so much.

Gotta agree on the pushing boxes however. Really slow and over used mechanic. Very mundane to do. They could have included a bit of fun into it, or at least some variety.

So, I'm assuming the spoiling brat is a Gaf user, since he could view user profiles. Unless you haven't restricted its visibility. If we'd know his PSN ID, perhaps detective Gaf could trace his Gaf ID.

Yeah, it was definitely an alt from a salty perm-ed former GAF user. His username was "lol NeoGAF" or something like that so it was pretty much a disposable one and made for the sake of ruining other people's experiences.

Vaga

image.php

autoduelist

OP, you kind of spoil the ending w/o warning. Glad I already beat it.

i don't know why GAF can't tell the truth about Uncharted 4

the game is great no doubt but honestly it doesn't feel like an action game anymore, most of the time or at least 70% of the game you just climb and explore around, Uncharted 4 to me is GOTY 2016 so far and it's also a Walking simulator, that's the truth, to be honest, ND games are always way too overrated

So it's GOTY 2016 so far and it's almost July, but it's "way too overrated" and a "walking simulator".

Yeah. You're trying wayyyyy too hard to be edgy.

Chapter 11 is the best thing I've played in any game in YEARS. Just a masterpiece from beginning to end. The rest of the game did not live up to that. And I'm not even referring to just the setpiece, I thought the tower part was amazing as well.

zoukka

Bullshit. There are no games that look like UC4. Of course there are games with better IQ and perf, but asset-wise nope.

OP, you kind of spoil the ending w/o warning. Glad I already beat it.

Hmm, where did I do that (so I can edit it?) The only part related to the ending I spoiler tagged -- all the other untagged parts I warned in red text that below has unmarked spoilers. I'll read the OP again just to double check?

I couldn't get over how the graphics for this felt like a PS3 game.

God, I hope you're joking.

What are you playing on your PC that you're likening this game's graphics to a PS3 title? I have a capable PC as well and can't agree with you at all.

Melchiah

Yeah, it was definitely an alt from a salty perm-ed former GAF user. His username was "lol NeoGAF" or something like that so it was pretty much a disposable one and made for the sake of ruining other people's experiences.

Damn, that's childish. I think I may have to think about restricting who can send PM to me on PSN, just in case.

Kickz

What are you playing on your PC that you're likening this game's graphics to a PS3 title? I have a capable PC as well and can't agree with you at all.

I have been playing Just Cause 3 on an I7/GTX 970. The way that games environment looks and plays so buttery smooth is breath taking. I got that before I picked up UC4 and was spoiled since UC4 much vaunted graphics were tame and drab in comparison, reminded me of a PS3 title in comparison to my PC

God, I hope you're joking.

Not at all.

watdaeff4

Best game Naughty Dog has ever made. Took the crown from Uncharted 2.

Agree 100%

For the people who say they didn't like it, did you play and like any of the first 3? I know opinions and all that and maybe change in tastes, but I'm just trying to wrap my head around how you disliked so much unless this was your first UC game.

Regarding the OP spoilers, that sucks, it was a main reason why games/series I'm investEd in the narrative, I try to play ASAP

Wabba

I have been playing Just Cause 3 on an I7/GTX 970. The way that games environment looks and plays so buttery smooth is breath taking. I got that before I picked up UC4 and was spoiled since UC4 much vaunted graphics were tame and drab in comparison, reminded me of a PS3 title in comparison to my PC

Get this type of comment out of here. You dont belive this yourself you just writing it to start a fire in this thread.

bratpack

Excellent game I loved it but replays are hard mainly because of the 1st few opening chapters being very story based and being movie like

I think its a game you put away and replay months or a year down the line

unlike say resi4 which you restart and just get going from the off

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Someone actually pm'd a bunch of people from here over PSN with spoilers? It's hard to imagine a human putting so much effort into being so juvenile.
I almost feel sorry for such individuals. How lowly one's life must be to think that this is a worthwhile use of one's time? It's so pathetic.

Harmen

Somebody should let Naughty Dog know that pushing around dumpsters/crates to get over obstacles isn't fun, and shouldn't be a gameplay mechanic.

I agree they overused the whole crate on wheelcarts thing. And I don't get it, since TLOU had more variation in this aspect. They could've at least made us move and place some ladders here and there, or something (like in TLOU). Or push some boxes, instead of the same cartwheel boxes every time. And the moment that you had to place one
to have a grappling hook position
potentially brought a new element, which was never used again. Same goes for the parts where you had to destroy a bit of the environment first, at least it adds a bit to the gameplay instead of solely moving a box (found by your a.i. partner) from A to B. I feel ND could've done way more to shake things up in this regard.

AudioEppa

Glad you're having fun with it OP, I really loved the beginning chapters. Honestly all of the moving crates, dumpsters or whatever didn't bother me at all. The game was simply perfect from start to finish and I doubt it, but I can't wait to see other developers try to top with naughty dog did here. It sucks somebody spoiled the ending for you.

Anarion07

Glad you're having fun with it OP, I really loved the beginning chapters. Honestly all of the moving crates, dumpsters or whatever didn't bother me at all. The game was simply perfect from start to finish and I doubt it, but it I can't to see other developers try to top with naughty dog did here. It sucks somebody spoiled the ending for you.

That's how I feel.
In the 20 hours on hard I put into the game, the ~5 minutes of crate pushing are really not that bad.

I feel like I've gotten bored of the uncharted formular. Especially with the climbing bits which are getting boring.

There is only so many times that the game can act like its a dangerous jump but it isn't. The illusion has cracked for me.

The multiplayer though.

I love that. Real smooth with the 60 frames per second and the gunplay is great, as is The addition of the rope

Having played UC4 upto chapter 6 so far, I do. Its a level or 2 below JC3 on a high end PC

It's still hardly anything like a ps3 game, not to mention the level of animation and detail is beyond JC3. Keep playing--the game only gets better as well. Perhaps not to your PC standards, but I have no idea how anyone could be adamant the game doesn't look great.

Kickz

It's still hardly anything like a ps3 game, not to mention the level of animation and detail is beyond JC3. Keep playing--the game only gets better as well. Perhaps not to your PC standards, but I have no idea how anyone could be adamant the game doesn't look great.

I got the PC after I got the PS4, so I have gotten used to it being my new 'PS4'/benchmark of graphical power, so when I go back and play UC4 it then feels like a 'PS3' game compared to Just Cause 3 on PC.

It improves graphically further on.(Around Chapter 10 and onwards)

Good to know, I will keep at it.

Am I the only one that actually sort of liked Rafe?

The actor does such a great job at portraying him that you can't help but hate him because he does his role so well lol. He does have this endearing quality to him though and an air of authority but I can't quite put my finger on it...

JBwB

By 'felt like a PS3 game' are you referring to the frame rate? Because in regards to graphics quality even as a PC gamer I found UC4 to have some of the best graphics I've ever seen in a game.

I did.

Is it odd that I actually sympathized with him in the
final battle
?

Javin98

Banned
Why the hell is the thread getting derailed because of that one post? Dude can honestly think that Uncharted 4 looks like a PS3 game and that is one of the few opinions which is objectively wrong. Furthermore, Just Cause 3? LOL.

Well, I don't really like or dislike Rafe, but I can see things from his point of view. For some reason, dude hates being born on a silver platter and wants to make his own fame. Doesn't make sense to me, but even in real life, the world is full of strange people, so it's justified.

Rafe is one of my favorite villains in gaming and certainly the best of Uncharted so no. I also enjoyed the final boss fight which seems to be controversial.
Final boss was fine, problem was
the climax at the end of the series wasn't there as much. It felt grander in all 3 games, and I feel the supernatural element was the reason because it dialed the crazy up to 11.

Sheroking

Final boss was fine, problem was
the climax at the end of the series wasn't there as much. It felt grander in all 3 games, and I feel the supernatural element was the reason because it dialed the crazy up to 11.

There barely was a supernatural element to 3.

You basically need the buy the Djinni explanation for the hallucinogenic water and they don't give you a good reason to.

Hell, with the exception of 1, the "supernatural" twists of Uncharted were never that huge to the plot.

Just played up to the end of chapter 11 (Sam is now on a boat with Nate). Holy shit. Man, this game just keeps getting better and better. The Madagascar chapter is probably one of my favourites. The jeep chase sequence plays even better than it looks, and I still can't believe the graphics even though I watched the pre-release gameplay of it like 50 times ha. The presentation is completely off the rails. My mind almost nearly dissolved as well when I was climbing the bell tower and the camera pans out - the draw distances are really impressive.

My only nitpicks I guess is that I want more gun fights because the gunplay is so fun and satisfying. I also feel the Scotland chapter could have done with a little less padding, as I felt there was too much down time where you were pushing boxes and climbing mountains.

I know it seems like an odd complaint considering previous Uncharted games complaints about too many gun fights, but count me in the camp that didn't mind them at all, and certainly don't mind them now with the verticality that is introduced and the much more satisfying gunplay with various rope mechanics and visceral hand-to-hand combat. I just want more of it lol!

Also, Nate is really a douche to Sully. Why did he have to par him off like that? ;___;

Holy shit man, chapter 15. That twist, what the hell. I legit never saw it coming.
Sam is such a douche man, I can't believe he'd lie to his brother.
I'm also happy they're revisiting more of the flashback of when they were kids, as I thought it could do with a bit more fleshing out.

And man, chapter 12-15 have such good scenery. Libertalia is one of the most beautifully realised locations I've seen in a game. They're this sense of mystery and awe that Naughty Dog do really well in their "lost cities". The gameplay is also top notch once again, and I love every encounter, and the fact they're quite sparse away from each other makes me want one as soon as possible because like I said, the gunplay is so good.

But yeah, I stopped right at the flashback on chapter 16, and I'm excited to see where the story goes.
Still can't believe Sam would lie to Nate!

Also, that setpiece was a welcome surprise! Never knew about it, and it was pretty awesome.

Just before
Sam noticed Rafe's ships in chapter 12, it sounded like he was going to tell Nate the truth

Oh crap, yeah, I just rewatched that scene, and the "okay" part was something I noticed at the time, but forgot. I guess you're right! Nice catch.

Also, I've been reading some of your previous posts on Uncharted 4, and whilst perhaps not as critical, I do agree that there wasn't as much action and gameplay, which are too spaced out IMO. I understand why they went for the more exploratory approach, since it's Nate's final journey etc, and they want the player to bond with Sam, but I feel, especially because with this game, the gameplay has improved so much, that I'm actually finding myself wanting to have more shootouts, but they're just too sparsely spread out.

The gameplay is actually really fun with the verticality and different mechanics, but they just don't let you use it that often unfortunately, I just feel in some parts, they could have cut a bit of the downtime in exchange for some more action orientated gameplay that Uncharted is known for.

Just got round to finishing the game and holy crap, what an experience. Really enjoyed the game on the whole, especially towards the end, mainly because there was many more gun fights. In my book, that was a huge plus because Uncharted 4 has the best gameplay of the series, and is one of the best playing games I've played in recent years -- the gunplay, level design and mechanics are so good, and so I really enjoyed playing the game and the encounters that ensued.

The ending really made me feel hollow inside as well, now that Nate's journey is over. Probably the best series I have had the pleasure of playing. Looking forward to see what Naughty Dog does next obviously, but the ending leaves a lot of room for sequels in many years to come or even, DLC (with Sully and Sam's adventures), or Cassie, so that has definitely kept me interested.

Overall, a fantastic experience, but honestly, not sure if it is my favourite Uncharted. Of course naturally, the game being a sequel, makes it harder to surprise with the setpieces, and somethings just get old (not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but you obviously aren't as blown away the second time). A 9.5/10 game for now, but the the reason why I am heavily conflicted as to why it's not my favourite is because of a few nitpicks:

- I spoiled myself with pre-release material and the chase sequence would have probably been even more mindblowing if I hadn't seen it before hand, and of course some asshole spoiled the ending so that made the ending slightly less impactful -- with previous Uncharted games however, I went in completely blind as I only played them 2 two years ago for the first time as I got them from PS+ and borrowed it from a friend, and they took me by surprise as I hadn't really known much of the franchise until then.

- I need time to think about the game, because whilst it is the perfect ending, and the gameplay is the best of the series, I just feel there were times where there could have been less padding (i.e. walking, moving crates, boosting people up) and more engaging gameplay with less spaced out encounters, because I honestly feel the gunplay, coupled with the satisfying and visceral combat, and various mechanics were the best parts of the game. I could have done with more of that to be honest.

- I also feel after Tomb Raider, and TLoU, Naughty Dog could have made exploration a bit more satisfying -- Nate and Sam know so much, even as young kids, yet when we pick up a treasure, there is no background explaining the context of the treasure and the story of it etc. A minor nitpick, yes, but I just think exploration could have been handled a tad better, with more opportunities, and with said opportunities being more fleshed out like TR.

But overall, a masterpiece that did not disappoint. Without a doubt the best game on PS4. Naughty Dog really are unmatched IMO when it comes to presentation, story telling, animations, and writing. Can't wait to replay and clean up some trophies and replay some encounters again, and I certainly can't wait for TLoU 2!

Top Bottom