• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP : Uncharted 4 what the hell happened (SINGLE PLAYER)

SJW happened, it the worst uncharted, a decent game, very good looking but the worst uncharted(the spin off for vita was better) just like movies it will be progressively worse

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
IIRC the weird pacing of the game is due to the turbulent development of the game (Druckman taking over the development very late from Amy Henning) when already large parts of the game were finished.

Despera

Banned
It's an amazing game if you are a whore for graphics/production values.

Otherwise it's boring and I agree... Has nothing on U2 pacing.

Elginer

Lost Legacy is the superior Uncharted by a country mile. It's actually a fun action adventure game like the previous Uncharted games were. Uncharted 4 only remembered that's what is was supposed to in moments.

Want more Uncharted but put the Lost Legacy guys in charge.

Yoboman

I've played plenty of worse games but few that were so deliberately boring. There's only one standout set piece and it was ruined by the E3 showing.

Funny how ND actually showed more ambition with the much weaker PS3 hardware. Lost Legacy is good though.
I think there was very much a major case of sequel escalation though through the first three games. Uncharted 3 was pretty much just taking all the set pieces and ramping it up to 12.

What more could they do there? It was time to look at other things to impress with

Whitecrow

Banned
I think there was very much a major case of sequel escalation though through the first three games. Uncharted 3 was pretty much just taking all the set pieces and ramping it up to 12.

What more could they do there? It was time to look at other things to impress with
If it aint broke, dont fix it...

GymWolf

Games like Half Life 2, Deux Ex, MG5 were great too. Like I said it's fine that you didn't enjoy it but the general consensus is that Uncharted 4 is a great game. The melee combat is the best in a shooter and the rope really added to combat encounters, the story was good and so were the set pieces
The melee combat suck ass compared with tlou melee combat imho.
Less heavy feel, no gore, worst camera work.

Lost Legacy is the superior Uncharted by a country mile. It's actually a fun action adventure game like the previous Uncharted games were. Uncharted 4 only remembered that's what is was supposed to in moments.

Do you want even more feminist-inspired dialogues/storytelling?

I say bring back Bruce Straley:

"I would love to play another Nathan Drake game, but I would want to see it done in a way that is mindful of the original concepts that we pushed for in Uncharted 2. That is, keeping everything core, everything on the stick, all the set pieces playable. If I was back there, I would be pushing Uncharted even further into the realm of player choice, and exploring how that affects the adventure. More than that, though, the industry still needs well-drawn characters and good storytelling that doesn't take itself seriously like a lot of games now tend to in the triple-A space."

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I really don't think LL is that great of a game. it is worse than 4 for me. Puzzles were boring, characters largely uninteresting and villain super typical. + there were no stakes and no set pieces besides ending.
3>2>4>LL>1

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
The melee combat suck ass compared with tlou melee combat imho.
Less heavy feel, no gore, worst camera work.
lol Uncharted 4 has some of the best melee combat in any shooter, if TLOU is number 1 then Uncharted 4 is right behind it

Hobbygaming

I like Uncharted 4 way more than Lost Legacy: Better set pieces (other than the train) better graphics, better story and better characters

GymWolf

lol Uncharted 4 has some of the best melee combat in any shooter, if TLOU is number 1 then Uncharted 4 is right behind it
seems legit.

who are the other tps with a melee system? rdr2? max payne 3? gears?

i think that ND are the only one who makes games with a more involved melee system in their tps.
maybe i'm forgetting someone...

Hobbygaming

The Division 2, Quantum Break, Max Payne, Tomb Raider, RDR2, Gears 5, Mass Effect, Control, Grand Theft Auto 5, Hitman 2, Resident Evil, any game that has 3rd person shooting and melee

Last edited:

GymWolf

The Division 2, Quantum Break, Max Payne, Tomb Raider, RDR2, Gears 5, Mass Effect, Control, Grand Theft Auto 5, Hitman 2, Resident Evil, any game that has 3rd person shooting and melee
mmm yeah, but in most tps the melee is very basic, without all the animation and camera work of ND titles and it's not used enough like for example in tlou where half of your kill are melee kill.

Hobbygaming

mmm yeah, but in most tps the melee is very basic, without all the animation and camera work of ND titles and it's not used enough like for example in tlou where half of your kill are melee kill.
My point exactly, Uncharted 4 has the best and most advanced melee system in a shooter :) TLOU has exceptional melee too

Last edited:

emmerrei

From what i can remember, the first half the game is a bit slow, and start go get more "frenetic" chapter after chapter. But that's doesn't mean the other chapter are bad, maybe, if you're replaying it just to complete it at 100%, but at the first run it's well done and the pace is more than fine, otherwise everyone in the world would have dropped sh1t in every review. just means Op isn't for this type of game, or he's just playing it with a lot of prejudices. If so, don't even look TLOU, because the whole game has a slower pace.

ruvikx

Banned
It's the slow moments & useless narrative which kill the game. Chapter 16 I believe (brothers Drake) was excruciatingly poorly paced, with a dull stereotypical plot being treated like Citizen Kane & the makers of the game pretending we should care enough about their clichéd melodrama to sit through a walking simulator level after some prior intense action levels. Nope. They also butchered Elena's character & made her a killjoy, literally guilting Drake into quitting the treasure hunting business (a bit of an uncharacteristic turnaround for her considering she was the adventurous one in Drake's Fortune).

But it's the overall message, morality & tone which was insane, i.e. "adventure & action is irresponsible, go home & be with your family instead". Say what? I bought that game to shoot bad guys & have a laugh with Drake & his friends. I didn't get it to be lectured by Druckmann about the wrongs of treasure hunting action hero stuff. It was a sad forced retirement for a cool character because Naughty Dog wanted to go & do something else instead.

Last edited:

ROMhack

It's the slow moments & useless narrative which kill the game. Chapter 16 I believe (brothers Drake) was excruciatingly poorly paced, with a dull stereotypical plot being treated like Citizen Kane & the makers of the game pretending we should care enough about their clichéd melodrama to sit through a walking simulator level after some prior intense action levels. Nope. They also butchered Elena's character & made her a killjoy, literally guilting Drake into quitting the treasure hunting business (a bit of an uncharacteristic turnaround for her considering she was the adventurous one in Drake's Fortune).

But it's the overall message, morality & tone which was insane, i.e. "adventure & action is irresponsible, go home & be with your family instead". Say what? I bought that game to shoot bad guys & have a laugh with Drake & his friends. I didn't get it to be lectured by Druckmann about the wrongs of treasure hunting action hero stuff. It was a sad forced retirement for a cool character because Naughty Dog wanted to go & do something else instead.

Gamers:

- We don't get enough new games and companies rely too much on sequels/reboots.

Also gamers:

- Why don't they keep remaking the same games over and over again??

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Gamers:

- We don't get enough new games and companies rely too much on sequels/reboots.

Also gamers:

- Why don't they keep remaking the same games over and over again??

Naughty Dog:

- We're sick of making Uncharted sequels.

Also Naughty Dog:

- We're making The Last of Us 2.

Hoorah for new IP's. In all seriousness I never even asked for new games, so your above point is moot in my case. Super Mario or Zelda fans don't bitch & moan to Nintendo about needing new IP's, so I don't see "why" I should be sick of Uncharted. It's a fun genre (third person cover shooter adventure) & I would be happy to play loads more.

ROMhack

Naughty Dog:

Also Naughty Dog:

Hoorah for new IP's. In all seriousness I never even asked for new games, so your above point is moot in my case. Super Mario or Zelda fans don't bitch & moan to Nintendo about needing new IP's, so I don't see "why" I should be sick of Uncharted. It's a fun genre (third person cover shooter adventure) & I would be happy to play loads more.

I know, I was just being snarky because a lot of this thread just feels like silly complaints. Not your post specifically.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

It sounds like a game like Call of Duty would be more of your speed. I loved the story in UC4 it is a huge reason for the game getting so much praise

I think I'm on my 7th playthrough

Ristifer

Meh. They already heavily hinted at that narrative direction at many points in the first three games. It already seemed planned that way for the most part. They doubled down on it in U4 pretty heavily, admittedly, but all the signs were there for that kind of conclusion. And really, Elena was out of Drake's life so many times only to be pulled back in that that kind of turnaround for her character was actually fairly predictable.

Hobbygaming

You want non-stop action, play the MP. The SP is not supposed to be that, and I'm sorry but the pacing is only a problem if you decide that everything but the action set-pieces aren't fun.
This. The variation in the campaign is what made the game so special IMO. Nate and Elena playing Crash Bandicoot at home, the scuba diving job, etc. The set pieces are great too

Love every bit of it. Best Uncharted in the series by a long shot and personally my GOTG with God of War. Im currently playing it again. I cant find in one thing bad in this game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Naughty Dog:

Also Naughty Dog:

When did they ever say that? I tried searching and they had plenty of "leaving it open for possibility" beyond UC4/LL since the "thieving world is huge".

MayauMiao

Played Uncharted 4 once, finish it, never replayed it. Same thing happened with Lost Legacy, played it once and that's it.

Yet I replay Fallout 4, quite a broken game but still lots of fun for some strange reason.

There is something about these two games, Uncharted feeling very restrictive while Fallout 4 being very open to the way you play the game.

I thought the gameplay was fine but the story was one of the worst in the series. Nadine was never a believable threat and I can't even remember the main antagonist.

However, funnily enough, I remember who were SUPPOSED to be the antagonists (Todd Stashwick and Alan Tudyk) before Druckmann fucked up the script

Last edited:

wolywood

My guess is that a lot of the pacing/tonal issues are due to the original director Amy Hennig leaving ND halfway through development and Druckmann and Straley being parachuted in to salvage the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

GymWolf

You want non-stop action, play the MP. The SP is not supposed to be that, and I'm sorry but the pacing is only a problem if you decide that everything but the action set-pieces aren't fun.
Climbing and walking with zero skill involved for 75% of the game, so much fun...

Oh wait, the boring chit chat with the brother who comes out of the ass just for the 4th chapter with zero hint of his existence in the past games, i was almost forgetting the best part...

ruvikx

Banned
When did they ever say that? I tried searching and they had plenty of "leaving it open for possibility" beyond UC4/LL since the "thieving world is huge".

I paraphrase their forced retirement of Nathan Drake, i.e. Drake who was for all intents & purposes Uncharted. Nathan Drake = Uncharted, Uncharted = Nathan Drake. Anyone who pretends other characters could fill the void overlook the fact the series was made popular off the back of Nolan North & Nathan Drake. Showing a future scene with his kid & retired life was like the end of Harry Potter, i.e. "this character is finished so no one can make a sequel with him".

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I paraphrase their forced retirement of Nathan Drake, i.e. Drake who was for all intents & purposes Uncharted. Nathan Drake = Uncharted, Uncharted = Nathan Drake. Anyone who pretends other characters could fill the void overlook the fact the series was made popular off the back of Nolan North & Nathan Drake. Showing a future scene with his kid & retired life was like the end of Harry Potter, i.e. "this character is finished so no one can make a sequel with him".

One can make more prequels and other adventures.

Still want a Sully and Cutter prequel myself.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I want a Nathan Drake sequel aka Uncharted 5. I don't see why that's an issue or should be prohibited when we're talking about a fictional world setting.

But he old and retired tho!

Then again, if Indy can do it. Maybe they can drag him out... one... last... time to bail Cassie out of trouble. Oh wait, it is current year, she would be picked up 1/3 of the way through to bail the bumbling idiot male out of trouble.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
He had survived a plane crash, a cruise ship sinking and a plane crash without a parachute. Not to mention two natural disasters/cities collapsing

What more could they do?
I would say the same but with another story, other characters, and better graphics.

But they added the drama and increased map size, hence fucking up the pace. That's how I see it at least.

Grinchy

Banned
Uncharted 5 with the open gender daughter and even more cheap drama, i can live without tbh...
I can just imagine the game starring the Drake daughter being Uncharted: Life Is Strange Edition. Instead of trying to recover some ancient artifact, you're actually just trying to navigate the complicated lost city of High School and the boss fight is getting Derrick to agree to go to Homecoming.

Top Bottom