• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Uncharted Lost Legacy - Holy Cow!

trikster40

Wow, so I’ve been cleaning up my backlog lately. Finally wrapped up Uncharted 4 and started Uncharted Lost Legacy. I was really expecting an Uncharted Lite adventure. Nothing meaningful, just more Uncharted gameplay and a story that was unnecessary.

Wow, was I wrong. I honestly feel it was a much better game than Uncharted 4. It was tight, no filler, a great story that felt way more Uncharted than UC4. Had some great set pieces, the train sequence in Chapter 9 was phenomenal; it mayb be the best sequence in all of Uncharted.

Loved Chloe and Nadine. Was nice to see a different side of Nadine. If you haven’t played it yet, I highly recommend!

Fbh

Yeah it was really fun. The overall pacing is definitely much better than in Uncharted 4 and they also did a better use of the more open environments, specially during the whole first part.
And yeah the train sequence was amazing. Felt like a pretty bold move to go for another one since the one from Uncharted 2 is among the most iconic scenes in the franchise, but they really nailed it IMO.

One thing that continues to suck though, are the collectables . At this point I think if they are going for bigger levels and want to encourage exploration there needs to be a better reward than some collectables that are pretty useless for anyone who isn't into trophies.
And I'm still not the biggest fan of Nadine. She just seems to spend half the game angry and while it make sense within the context of the game, it results in overall less fun interactions and banter than in previous entries

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Loved Lost Legacy. I think Chloe should take the reigns as main lead now that Nate has retired. She has the adventure chops to pull it off and is an overall likeable character. And the finale in LL, though very familiar, is like the mother of all set pieces. Was completely blown away by the mayhem.

dottme

I was really disapointed with UC4 and I’ve got Lost Legacy on sale.
But, yes, this game was great and feel the opposite of UC4. It has a much better pacing, more combat, better open world....

HotPocket69

Banned
Couldn't stand it and didn't finish it. I don't find Chloe and Nadine interesting whatsoever. It felt like WokeyDog was pandering 100% to the Era crowd. I really wanted a side story featuring Sam and Sully and I feel like that's what the plan originally was before people started crying out "NO WE NEED WOMYNZ OR ELSE"

Also, Chloe's character model is utter dogshit. She's got this retardedly hunchbacked pose going on with these dead as fuck arms just hanging at her sides.

Look at this crap

Chloe-India-1024x576.jpg

Chloe-in-India.jpg

Worst Uncharted game by a country fucking mile

Last edited:
It was a pretty solid game, definitely better than 4. But it really feels ND is running out of ideas what to do with the game. The only thing I really remember from it is open world segments which were meh, the elephant scene and the train redux at the end. Whereas UC2 and 3 were filled with memorable moments and creativity, LL didn't have much of that.

I would love to see another game with Chloe though. Just maybe take a bit of a break from the series and come back with a bunch of new ideas

Yup very well done DLC. I also though that the antagonist was also really well done. Felt like he was a bad ass when Chloe and Nadine couldn't compete with him sometimes.

Btw...has REEEEEEEE noticed yet that Nadine is voiced by a white person? Or is Naughty dog exempt form the "loonyness"?

Ozrimandias

Chloe Fan over here.....in fact, my love started since Uncharted 2, so when ND announced a Uncharted with her as a protagonist, loved the idea.

Fox Mulder

I kept hurling chloe off cliffs, as she is such an unlikable slag. Game was good though.

I haven't played LL, but in previous games she had personality and ability just as good as Nate. They also kept saying how she's a great driver and I figured they'd eventually use that in a neat set piece.

angelic

Banned
I haven't played LL, but in previous games she had personality and ability just as good as Nate. They also kept saying how she's a great driver and I figured they'd eventually use that in a neat set piece.

There's the problem then, I hate Nate too, they're both wise asses with zero humility and god awful quips. What I enjoy about the series is the globe trotting adventure.

I just played it this year too, and I thought it was fantastic. I really loved the open area and the fact that there was an in-game reward for completing that section fully.

I got really into the photo mode for some reason in this one. Here's a few of my favorite pics.

0EDrHs2.jpg

nlJWQo2.jpg

DgWoVRL.png

x10GFRs.jpg

ferC5fS.jpg

mckmas8808

Banned
Wow, so I’ve been cleaning up my backlog lately. Finally wrapped up Uncharted 4 and started Uncharted Lost Legacy. I was really expecting an Uncharted Lite adventure. Nothing meaningful, just more Uncharted gameplay and a story that was unnecessary.

Wow, was I wrong. I honestly feel it was a much better game than Uncharted 4. It was tight, no filler, a great story that felt way more Uncharted than UC4. Had some great set pieces, the train sequence in Chapter 9 was phenomenal; it mayb be the best sequence in all of Uncharted.

Loved Chloe and Nadine. Was nice to see a different side of Nadine. If you haven’t played it yet, I highly recommend!

I liked UC4 more, but many people completely agree with you with UC:LL.

ruvikx

Banned
I've never played it & have no intention of ever buying it. Uncharted is Nathan Drake - end of story. It's like making a Firefly series/movie without Nathan Fillion. I'd nope out of that one as well. I have no doubt the gunplay, level design, enemy encounters & traversal are good (Uncharted 4 was excellent in terms of third person/stealth shootism, so the dlc is probably good as well), but Chloe as a main character with "whats-her-face" mercenary-queen from Uncharted 4?

Meh.

ruvikx

Banned
I just played it this year too, and I thought it was fantastic. I really loved the open area and the fact that there was an in-game reward for completing that section fully.

I got really into the photo mode for some reason in this one. Here's a few of my favorite pics.

You had me semi-interested until you mentioned... photo mode. Some people enjoy pretending they're tourists on vacation whilst playing a video game. I don't. I mean the open areas you mention can elicit some interest (Uncharted 4's "alert patrols & hide" mechanism in semi-open areas in the jungle were a lot of fun), but I won't ever press pause & take a photo in-game.

Maybe that's just me, but "photo-mode" is such a bullshit concept from the moment its used as a selling point.

cormack12

Gold Member
Yeah, this is my favourite just behind or on par with UC2. If the juxtaposition of any two games show the disparity between modern day indulgence of developers versus what gamers actually want it is UC:LL v UC4. It was a nice length, plenty of action, great environments and art and a likeable protagonist from the earlier games. I wouldn't mind Chloe to become the new lead for the series. Although the vehicle fight with Nate and the RPG's in UC4 was probably one of the best 'boss' fights that utilised a vehicle (the helicopter fights were just annoying). It missed its steps in a couple of areas, notably the centre fight in the Ghats.

Having said that, I'm also interested in more of a chronicles type franchise as well. Where you maybe get to play as Cutter, Sully back in the 80's, Rafe or Flynn - in the same sort of shorter adventure as LL.

I did miss the supernatural element. The monsters in UC1 and the superhumans of Shambala were particularly memorable to me, and it's sad to see them omit that side of the series.

What I find weird is that the UC series seems somewhat insulated from the criticism that something that Tomb Raider gets and it's always been puzzling to me. People seem to hide behind the mocap and 'story' as being the most weighted, determining factor.

ruvikx

Banned
What I find weird is that the UC series seems somewhat insulated from the criticism that something that Tomb Raider gets and it's always been puzzling to me. People seem to hide behind the mocap and 'story' as being the most weighted, determining factor.

Tomb Raider borrows third person shooter concepts from Uncharted. But that's where the comparison ends. Uncharted 1, 2, 3 & (most of) 4 are a literal roller-coaster thrill ride with excellent pacing & great characters. There are no weapon upgrades, just tactical encounters against various types of enemies. Tomb Raider sends the player off on a wild goose chase to find plants & harvest resources (collectathon yay!), Uncharted doesn't.

I could replay the Syria level of Uncharted 3 for example right now, & not be bored. Meanwhile I wouldn't think of ever setting foot in the Soviet Installation of Rise of the Tomb Raider ever again. It's just too boring.

You had me semi-interested until you mentioned... photo mode. Some people enjoy pretending they're tourists on vacation whilst playing a video game. I don't. I mean the open areas you mention can elicit some interest (Uncharted 4's "alert patrols & hide" mechanism in semi-open areas in the jungle were a lot of fun), but I won't ever press pause & take a photo in-game.

Maybe that's just me, but "photo-mode" is such a bullshit concept from the moment its used as a selling point.

You know you're not required to use photo mode, lol. I've never gotten into a game with photo-mode prior or since, but I did here, for whatever reason.

Shai-Tan

Banned
The story was rote, and not in a good way but I like the dynamic between the two characters, the exploration, and the puzzles are just engaging enough (for a dummy like me who doesn't want to ever consult gamefaqs) with some traversal wrapped in

edit: and the graphics, obviously

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
I wasnt really feeling the "open world" portion of the game but holy shit does it get good once you get past that. The villain is so much better than the manlet that was Rafe.

The only thing I didnt really care for were Nadine and Sam(the worst part of U4). Nadine bored me. I kinda wish that Elena was Chloe's partner bc the chemistry between the two would have been hilarious, and I feel like Elena deserves more screentime than what she got in four.

That, or replace that annoying cunt Sam with Elena or Charlie. ANYONE but Sam.

What a weird complaint to have.

93xfan

Banned
I personallly loved the story in uncharted 4. Lost Legacy was good, but didn’t feel nearly as satisfying on the story side.

Last edited:

God Enel

Agree with OP. Never noticed the hunch back LOL

I do think it's better than Uncharted 4.. especially as OP mentioned it's a way more streamlined experience.

Chittagong

Gold Member
It’s good huh? I bought it on some PSN flash sale but I think I have literally ever booted it. Those tropics shots do look compelling, I’ve always loved the holiday ambiance of the Uncharted series.

Neolombax

I should really download and play this game since I bought the "season pass" of sorts. Never really bothered with it once UC4 was over because I don't find Chloe or Nadine particularly interesting as characters.

Its decent felt like the best newer game with tombs and puzzles. Those were completely absent from uncharted 4 for some reason. Naah i can live without uncharted franchise if This is the future for the franchise.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Tomb Raider borrows third person shooter concepts from Uncharted. But that's where the comparison ends. Uncharted 1, 2, 3 & (most of) 4 are a literal roller-coaster thrill ride with excellent pacing & great characters. There are no weapon upgrades, just tactical encounters against various types of enemies.

That's weird - I think you and I agree on a lot from memory. I mean Uncharted built on Tomb Raider but it was derivative of GeoW as a cover based TPS:

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/games/...ything-uncharted-1-drakes-fortune-naughty-dog

I would argue that contextually in Tomb raider (though the collectibles are excessive), they are consistent in the world. Reading ancient languages makes you more proficient etc. In uncharted they just glimmer and are there to get a trophy and earn some unlockable in game. Rather than compare every gameplay mechanic though, I'm thinking more of the meta throwaway comments like:

Tomb Raider has white paint everywhere
Do we not have yellow piping, and white frosting on climbable surfaces in uncharted

Tomb Raider has parts that are on rails
I mean, forced slow walking for exposition, the vehicle chases (that feels a bit like you have agency because you hold R2 to shoot a grill?)

Tomb Raider puzzles suck
I actually think both have a good balance of puzzles (from braindead to engaging), but Tomb Raider is the only one that has adjustable difficulties split out

However, I don't think Syria is a good example. Madagascar would be a better example to compare to the soviet installation. Both are over indulgent and overstay their welcome.

Back on topic, Lost Legacy for me probably equals Uncharted 2 as my favourite. However, Uncharted 4 is easily my least favourite as a game - but has some really good high points. Just like Shadow is the worst of the TR reboots. But I think Shadow is a more honest response to what CD perceived as criticism. UC4 was an over indulgent slap in the face to everyone. Even those who play for the stories, with the sudden appearance of Sam.

SonGoku

I think Chloe should take the reigns as main lead now that Nate has retired.
LUL Nathan is not a real person, he retired because ND is done with UC plain and simple. Having a new lead is not gonna change that
Also uncharted without Drake aint uncharted imo.
I wish she ended up with drake instead of Elena, they make a better match

Last edited:

kingbean

I was thinking about picking this up at some point, but I've only ever finished the Vita game.

I really like uncharted when it's heavy in the shooty parts, not so much the hold X to climb the thingy parts.

If this game has good action then I might pick it up one day.

I never got around to UC 3 or 4, did play GA though. I think LL will be the next one I play though. I only hear good things about it.

I wonder if UC5 will be a prequel and the follow up spin off would be a sully MC'd game.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
Yeah it was a very good game. I still liked UC4 for various reasons, but LL was a very worthy entry. Hopefully they return to the franchise again after TLoU2.

SonGoku

Thanks for clarifying that.
Haha cheeky attitude
Im so glad you see how ridiculous it sounds, that was my point. Your were acting like they had to end UC because Drake is retiring as if he was an irl character and not because nd decided to retire the franchise. Drake retired because the franchise is over, not the other way around.

Last edited:

OldGamer

I'm just happy this gives hope that the franchise can live on in a future installment. As interesting as TLOU is, I'd prefer if Naughty Dog had at least more than one active IP. Or at least one that has a more optimistic overall tone. I liked Lost Legacy quite a bit as well. The only downside is that the game once got kind of crashy during a speedrun trophy attempt on the very last level, and no matter what glitched speedruns I've done in every previous UC game, LL is the only one that decided to die on me during a run.

Also, I love lost legacy because they bothered to include a device that allows you to locate treasure without having to pixel hunt.

great setpieces story

but what about the game play man. whats wrong with people that play video games on sony systems these days. what is it? did naughty dog brain wash all of you. are you all just satisfied with the pathetic fucking cover shooter mechanics it has. are you satisfied with the scripted A.I these games have? the scripted set pieces. like come the fuck on man

you want a game that has an adult story but you want your gameplay to be simplistic enough for a fucking trained chimp to go through it. these games are downright pathetic from Naughty dog gameplay wise.

don't tell me that the same pathetic set piece based gameplay with the shitty "puzzles" and "walk to pointer" and kill these guys is good gameplay design. it isn't.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Guys (and ladies who are so inclined) - Chloe, Elena, or Nadine?

:)

#pervpost
Making for a good mini game wink wink hahaha

images

Also share the same feelings as OP!

UC2 is still the favorite but I’m 100% behind Uncharted spinoffs now thanks to the Lost Legacy.

ruvikx

Banned
That's weird - I think you and I agree on a lot from memory. I mean Uncharted built on Tomb Raider but it was derivative of GeoW as a cover based TPS

Don't get me wrong, i.e. Uncharted is absolutely not a game changer or anything totally revolutionary, but, what it does (third person corridor cover shooting with occasional semi-open areas), it does well. I even include Uncharted 1 in that assessment (it has decent pacing from the jungle, fort, sunken city etc.). Tomb Raider meanwhile (i.e. the reboot trilogy) takes the worst part of Uncharted (the auto-climbing), the cover-shooting (with a horrible auto-cover system which lacks precision) & throws in a bunch of required collectathon upgrades which serve as filler between gunfights/platforming sections.

Derivative games can be highly enjoyable when done right. Tomb Raider's problem is the fact it deliberately abandoned its precise platform adventuring roots, adopted shooting mechanics done better elsewhere (Uncharted), threw horrible characters into the middle (Lara is a bore & Jonah is a cliché), made platforming tedious + simple & also made hunting around for glowing resources a prerequisite.

Syria in Uncharted 3 features fun characters, fun gunfights & over-the-top spectacle. Syria in Rise of the Tomb Raider featured boring characters, "press A to learn a language", auto-climbing & an on rails experience devoid of the fun present in Uncharted. I'm not saying Uncharted (the Nathan Drake games) are the bestest best ever, but Tomb Raider just pisses me off at this juncture.

Isa

Gold Member
I too really enjoyed my time with it, and both my girl and I took turns playing through the game. We also felt/wished that Chloe had ended up with Drake in UC2. I enjoyed UC4 a fair bit and LL was very well done for a DLC experience. Maybe a tad to streamlined for my taste but it was alright. I thought the villain was good as well. It'll be interesting to see what else ND does after TLoU part II. I do like the game, but kind of prefer the brighter and happier aesthetics of their prior works like Jak and Daxter as well as the aforementioned Uncharted.

Top Bottom