• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Until Dawn - Fantastic Interactive Survival Horror game

So I missed playing this back on PS4 after hearing about uncapped frame rates being too jarring as it wasn't stable. On the PS5 the game ran at locked 60fps (thanks to PS4 code being uncapped). The characters, story and encounters were legit terrifying.
I was shocked to learn that some of the character who didn't make it out alive, could've if I'd taken different story beat related decisions
. Basically for anyone who hasn't played this game, it's Heavy Rain meets survival horror. Heavy Rain's interactive cinematic gameplay meets survival horror genre. You get to control all the characters during their story moments. Will definitely recommend this game!

One of my favorite games of last gen, glad to hear you liked it.

I finished Man of Medan (still have to play little hope) a couple months back and would highly recommend buying it when it's on sale. Not as good, long, or polished as Until Dawn but it has a very similar vibe and execution.

mcz117chief

Definitely the best of the three but Little Hope comes close imo, I really enjoyed that one. Man of Medan is quite meh but ok for one playthrough I guess. Man of Medan suffers from one major flaw, it wants to explain everything.

sephiroth7x

Yep, I was also extremely surprised. Not at first but when it started to go beyond the simple teeny horror flick story I was hooked. Loved it to bits.
This is the key part - it starts out as a really almost by the numbers teen horror movie but evolves into a lot more. Then as you say, characters surviving/dying and the choices you make are all part of it and change the game.

They have done two more of these since, Men of Medan and Little Hope as part of a Dark Pictures Anthology. Haven't played those two but have them on my shelf ready.

Holy shit some of the character models are too damn photorealistic even for a 6 year old game. If this is what Decima engine can put out in capable hands, I can't wait to see how Horizon Forbidden West of Kojima's next game would end up looking on PS5

Good game. Played it with the lady and we had lots of fun

Now you go and play the two games that released already of The Dark Pictures Anthology

Oh another thing I'd point out is this is certainly a game that can be enjoyed even when played with your significant other. So to those of you who have BF's or GF's or married, this is a fun horror game to experience together!

xrnzaaas

The game was great, it's a shame that the studio didn't continue their partnership with Sony to release more horror games with the same budget. I still haven't played The Dark Pictures games, but I'm not really in a hurry after what I've seen in the gameplay videos and heard from friends.

Valonquar

It feels like a playable Joss Wheadon movie. Amazing cast and smooth pacing. A few of the deaths are super cheap though.

peronmls

I liked it a lot. Though I'm not a fan of the decision/choices being the core game-play. I wish it had puzzles mixed in with it. Is this really considered to be Survival Horror with the absents of combat and enemies?

evanft

It's great. I played it on the PS4 Pro a few years ago and actually picked it up again for another play through on the PS5 after I got one last month. The increased FPS is, as usual, transformative and really makes the game feel much newer than it is.

If you like dumb horror movies or interactive narrative games (Telltale, Life is Strange, etc.), then this gets a STRONG recommend from me, especially if you own a PS5. It's usually on sale for $10 or less, so to me it's a no-brainer.

sublimit

Banned
I really don't understand the boner so many people have with this game. I had it in my PS+ library for a while and i didn't want to play it because from what i had seen it looked very cliche to me. But so many people kept praising it to no end so i played it thinking that i could be wrong.
Well i wasn't.
Cliche story and characters and overall just an ok experience. I grew up with the films that the game is taking its inspiration but that time has long since passed and i wouldn't be able to watch those types of movies now. Don't get me wrong i had some fun with it for what it was but it was nothing special. I didn't even cared to come back to it to try different choices. I guess if i was 15 i might have liked it more?

Mr Hyde

Played this during its release but didn't like it very much. Gonna take a new stab at it now that it's included in PS Plus Collection.

SkylineRKR

Its fun but the game does cheat a bit with plot armor and at the end its kind of rushed how you can lose characters.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
This was a surprise game for me as well. Really thought it was a lot of fun.

Sometimes I wish there was a rewind button to make a different decision.

Last edited:

Spokker

I replayed it on PS5 and I started with the intention of not caring who lives and who dies. But as the game progressed I equated losing any characters to losing the game, so I was like fuck that and tried to keep them all alive, and did.

A few of the deaths are super cheap though.
I appreciated that there was at least one part where you had to pay attention earlier to avoid a death. Otherwise, players who always want to be the hero get their cutie blown the fuck out.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I'm playing it now and wow is it good. I'm really enjoying it. I'm way off a perfect run though lol... I'll be happy if any make it out!

When I heard the number of people that can make it out changes I'm down for another play through once I'm done.

Can the bad guy change too?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So I missed playing this back on PS4 after hearing about uncapped frame rates being too jarring as it wasn't stable. On the PS5 the game ran at locked 60fps (thanks to PS4 code being uncapped). The characters, story and encounters were legit terrifying.
I was shocked to learn that some of the character who didn't make it out alive, could've if I'd taken different story beat related decisions
. Basically for anyone who hasn't played this game, it's Heavy Rain meets survival horror. Heavy Rain's interactive cinematic gameplay meets survival horror genre. You get to control all the characters during their story moments. Will definitely recommend this game!
I love until dawn series.

Actually I was playing the VR game and also is a fantástic experience

turtlepowa

Banned
There are 3 PS4 games i really like, this is one of them altough the Wendigos were absolutely not scary. The QTE are quite hard if you are used to the Xbox controller, only had one survivor.

Cravis

I’m playing it now due to it being free from ps+ and I really am not getting the hype at the moment. Like the story is really bad imo and the world itself fairly uninteresting. The zombie horde stuff is cool but I feel like unless you’re getting invested in the story of the game or just love zombies it’s hard to get into it. Like it doesn’t really have a great open world or combat gameplay to keep me hooked. Maybe it’ll click I have around 5 hours or so? The gas conserving and general time of traversing from area to area, the crafting, the moving cars around, fetch quests and the combat encounters so far hasn’t been amazing for me but possibly I need better weapons - it looks very similar to the last of us games too so it feels like it should feel as good as those games with melee and stuff but I get that’s a high bar
You sure you playing the same game as us, chief?

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
There are 3 PS4 games i really like, this is one of them altough the Wendigos were absolutely not scary. The QTE are quite hard if you are used to the Xbox controller, only had one survivor.
Just one? The dialogue would have been way different than mine I bet.

I had one death.

DaGwaphics

Just one? The dialogue would have been way different than mine I bet.

I had one death.

I think I only had three survivors on my first attempt, I had all but one that should have been saved but I failed one of the hold still things right at the end. LOL

I redid that last bit to get a better trophy though. LOL

I thought it‘s more like Heavy Rain meets Indiana Jones 4 with every trash teenie horror movie cliché served well. In the end, i played through it just for funz & giggles, but I couldn‘t take it serious. Killing everyone was a relief.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
well, it is the best horror game choice story driven game in terms of AAA quality

MadYarpen

Yeah, I also liked it a lot. Most of my guys didn't make it though :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I would like to replay it when I think about it. Despite it being a horror, it wasn't very stresfull for me.

Arachnid

How the standards have fallen...
My exact thought. I remember being completely whelmed by Until Dawn. I definitely wouldn't call it one of last gens best horror titles. It's also one of the worst of the interactive Heavy Rain type games.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I think I only had three survivors on my first attempt, I had all but one that should have been saved but I failed one of the hold still things right at the end. LOL

I redid that last bit to get a better trophy though. LOL
Those are pretty neat!

I missed nearly every trophy somehow.

If you go back and redo chapters can you get more trophies and the collectables?

DaGwaphics

Those are pretty neat!

I missed nearly every trophy somehow.

If you go back and redo chapters can you get more trophies and the collectables?

Yeah. You can go back to whatever chapter you feel like you goofed in and as long as you play through the rest of the chapters afterwards you can get a different trophy. I almost think you have to do it in one sitting, if I'm remembering correctly. Luckily my screwups were late in the game. LOL

I was always going to do another run through and see what would happen if I had no survivors, but never got around to it.

Eimran

Yeah. You can go back to whatever chapter you feel like you goofed in and as long as you play through the rest of the chapters afterwards you can get a different trophy. I almost think you have to do it in one sitting, if I'm remembering correctly. Luckily my screwups were late in the game. LOL

I was always going to do another run through and see what would happen if I had no survivors, but never got around to it.
You don't need to do it in one sitting as in you can shut down the game. Only thing you can't do is restart another chapter.

The game saves all the data from your initial playthrough. You can restart from one of the chapters with the data from your first run and close the game and press continue later. If you however load another chapter every data from your first run is reloaded again.

DaGwaphics

You don't need to do it in one sitting as in you can shut down the game. Only thing you can't do is restart another chapter.

The game saves all the data from your initial playthrough. You can restart from one of the chapters with the data from your first run and close the game and press continue later. If you however load another chapter every data from your first run is reloaded again.

Ah, okay. I finished the game and only saved a few and then reloaded the chapter before the ending (I had lost the bitchy girl in a machinery accident :messenger_winking_tongue:) I was thinking I couldn't use the continue.

Top Bottom