• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Until Dawn

IndustryX

A couple buddies and I decided to pick this game up and give it a play through in the spirit of Halloween. I had heard good things and wanted to support another exclusive title.

Wow! What a wonderful experience, excellent graphics, legitimately scary (I suck with horror) and the branching choices and the idea of the butterfly effect are just so superbly done. This game is easily one of the best sleeper hits of the year! I really hope they make another (not that on rails one) I love how everyone can get a different ending. This was definitely best played late at night with the lights off!

I don't think this game got enough credit from reviews honestly.

What did you guys think of the game?

LiK

yup, i played and marathoned it today for Halloween. GREAT game. Only saved 3 people. will save everyone next time. Incredible graphics.

GeoramA

It's a damn fine game and a fantastic homage to horror flicks. Loved it so much I played through three times.

Emily is awesome too, suck it haters.

Fat4all

Banned
I feel like it does a better job than most games of making it feel like your choices are very important. It gives you a flash-back, a big sound effect plays, etc.

While there are very few choices in the game that really matter, it was still fun to see the small deviations in scenes depending on what you do.

bombshell

Played it for the first time these last few days. Wonderful game and it has some serious jump scares :D

My intention was to keep everyone alive in the first playthrough, but that is seriously hard going in blind. I only had 2 alive in the end. Hopefully my second playthrough goes better :)

sn00zer

Playing right now and having a ton of fun. LOOOOoOVE the camera. Would be perfect for a new Resident Evil game.

Certinty

Best exclusive out this generation I think. Would have liked it to have been a bit longer but besides that everything else was great, the story, the characters and the atmosphere were all brilliant.

Fantastic game. Going through another playthrough trying to keep everyone alive (which I wasn't very successful with the first time around).

Surprisingly, Mike turned out to be my favorite character by far.

Jigorath

Banned
Loved it. One of the best games I've played all year. The tank controls showed me just how great a modern Resident Evil game could be if the series returned to it's horror roots.

Fantastic game. Going through another playthrough trying to keep everyone alive (which I wasn't very successful with the first time around).

Surprisingly, Mike turned out to be my favorite character by far.

Yeah mike grew to be my favorite. Sam was good too. Emily cracked me up. I really liked all of them by the end, except Chris and Ashley.

I went into this with moderate expectations and it turned out to be perhaps my favourite game of the year. Absolutely loved it and I'm fully on board for more in the series or whatever Supermassive do next.

This game is fucking rad. I'm doing a second play through, and trying to do everything differently including being a raw dick to everyone. People's reactions are hilarious.

I haven't seen any of the Halloween pumpkins that are supposed to be scattered around, but, I'm bad at finding collectibles.

Tevren

Amazing game. One of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had all year. I yearned for more to do, even after getting the Plat.

Playing right now and having a ton of fun. LOOOOoOVE the camera. Would be perfect for a new Resident Evil game.

I rented it from a Red box just to give it a go, and I was thinking the exact same thing! The way it played with the camera angles, really reminded me of RE.

Fitts

Finished it a few nights ago. Even my girlfriend got into it. Really great game that sets itself apart from other horror and adventure games nicely. I should visit the Community thread...

FHIZ

I picked it up when it went down to $39.99 at Best Buy, and man was it good. Platinum'd it earlier in the week and it's easily one of my favorite games this year. It was really fun to see how other stuff played out or things I just had completely missed when I went through the "no deaths" or "everyone dies" runs.

Understand the palm of my hand, bitch!
gets me every time.

Dez_

Really had fun playing this. It kept me hooked until the end. I'm going to go through it again for the collectibles and have everyone survive. My first playthrough ended with only half the cast surviving.

End game spoilers

Chris was the first to go. I ended up failing the qte when first trying to escape the Wendigo and got him decapitated. Jessica died next when I tried to outrun the Wendigo with Matt, and I knew right after I picked that choice that I should have tried to hide after reading up on their eyesight. I lost Josh at the end for failing to pick up an item, I read later. Last was Mike when I went to burn down the house. I thought I waited enough and figured holding out longer was going to get Sam killed, so that was bad judgement on my part.

Aftering playing through Until Dawn I just had one feeling after beating it (and Platinuming it) which was that I wanted to play another game just like it and sadly they don't exist there are other horror games or other cenamatic games (Heavy Rain) but nothing quite like Until Dawn.

I think this is likely what I would have felt if I there was only the one Danganronpa game. Until Dawn needs a sequel asap!

I would also like to see all of the characters have equal play time, Until Dawn pretty much had you only really play as 3 or 4 characters with 1 (Mike) getting a majority of the playtime others got a decent amount (Sam/Chris/Emily) and the other 3 not so much, Jessica and Matt have hardly anything to do with the main plot and they have no idea what is going on at the end of the game, which could have been more interesting if you had the branching choices actually separate different characters then the normal like what if Jessica/Matt were involved more and say Chris/Emily weren't depending on the choices you made, that I think would be interesting.

Courage

Just finished it a few hours ago. Great game. Does a great job at building up tension in its scenes until the inevitable jump scare. Some of the claustrophobic camera angles and ambient sounds had my heart racing. Felt satisfied with my ending, but I'm bummed that I wasn't able to save everyone because of one stupid mistake I made at the end.

Fisty

I was really banking on this being in the Halloween sale on PSN, definitely wanted to give it a shot. Grabbed Zombi instead

MKP64

Bought yesterday and finished it today. Until Dawn was one of the coolest experiences Ive had in a while.
Emily and Sam
were my only survivors.

Drac84

Played it a few weekends ago with 9 friends from start to finish and had a blast. We passed the controller on at each change of scene/character, and by hilarious coincidence at every QTE sequence with consequence the controller was being held by a non-gaming girlfriend. It took
Mike over ten attempts to climb a simple wall to chase after Jessica
. On the plus side we
befriended a wolf
despite deciding as a group to
fight it
because someone failed the QTE, so it wasn't all bad.

Courage

This part made me scream

W3EnDH7.gif

bede-x

Awesome game, one of the best this year. They really get what makes a horror movie work and somehow it works just as well as a game. It flows really well (completed it in two sessions) and I love how it's not bogged down by a lot of the stuff you see in many games these days (grinding, crafting etc). I could even stand collecting the few items that were scattered around, something that usually detracts from modern games.

I hope they do a sequel, same gameplay, but perhaps a different genre just to keep it fresh.

Maengun1

I just finished my first playthrough last week. Loved every minute. Probably going to play it at least 1 or 2 more times and go for different paths. Can't wait for a sequel. I'd like to see them do an American Horror Story thing and keep the same cast but do a different story, because I enjoyed the actors a lot.

Captain B

Banned
How is watching the best way to experience it when the entire game is designed around making decisions and seeing the outcome?

Because on YouTube you can watch every permutation, every twist and not have to pay money nor experience the dread of jump scares while playing.

I'm one of those guys that like to watch people play games as much as play them. I watched and played P.T., in that order. Was fun both times.

Besides, $60 for this game? Lol nah. This is a 25-30 game at best. Good game but I'd rather watch it on YouTube.

Top Bottom